June 2013 Moms

Re: UO

• Options
    BC&LMBC&LM member
    We are having a first birthday party for LO this weekend.  I absolutely hate planning for a party of this size (about 45 people); it's totally stressing me out that we will forget something, people won't have fun, we will run out of food, etc.  I kind of wish we had just decided to do a catered lunch at a restaurant with half the amount of people; it probably would have cost the same as this is working out to be!

So basically my unpopular opinion is that I don't understand how some people love this party planning stuff.  It sucks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'll play! I hate birthday parties for 1 year olds. The only reason I'm having one for Isaac is because my husband wants one and if I didn't my MIL would have thrown it. And that would have been.... Bad... To say the least. I love her, but ... Yeah.

Me and Zech

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Re birthdays : maybe it's cuz we celebrate often with small victories lol "yay! We survived the first cold! Let get a sitter" lol for my family it's an excuse to oogle over my baby and spoil him. So it's officially a birthday party for him, regardless of what I say :)

Eta: for my husband, it's an excuse to hang out with the family. He agrees with the "he's 1, he doesn't care what kind of party he has, etc" mentality. It's the rest of the family that calls it the party for him.

Me and Zech

• Options
    @majwv8 I agree that most of those shirts are weird but I thought daddysaurus rex was cute :) 
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Options
    jmcgra06jmcgra06 member
    edited May 2014
    I actually didn't care much for baby birthday parties until I had a baby, but for me it's not about celebrating us, it's more about making a memory for her. I realize she won't *actually* remember it, but I want to be able to tell her some day and write in her baby book that her aunts flew from several states away, her work-a-holic uncle took off an entire weekend, and her grandparents all got together to celebrate her. Growing up, we always had to go to my grandparents house if we wanted them to be at our birthday party, and I think that just kind of sucks.

My UO is I kind of hate Edward Snowden because he seems like a D, not as much for his actions with the NSA. I thought it was wrong that he stole the secrets and gave them to the reporter, but I didn't actually dislike him until that interview last night. He just seems like a really pretentious guy.
    photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    BC&LMBC&LM member
    Ooh, this jogged my memory for what my UO was today. I hate inappropriate onesies for babies. Just because parents have no class doesn't mean they should pass that on too their defenseless children. Although I guess a onesie won't make or break it..imageimageimageimage
    Yeah, I don't hate onesies with sayings like some people do, but I hate crass onesies like these! 
  • Options
    dmlk413dmlk413 member
    wren1212 said:
    dmlk413 said:

Okay, I may get super flamed for this but I'm going to put it here anyway.  Regarding the UCSB shooter, a lot of people (his parents included) are pointing fingers at the police for not doing more when they went and did a welfare check on him in April.  Eff that, they did what they could within the realm of what is legal.  I'm pointing fingers at the parents.  Not for everything but the kid had dropped out of school and wasn't working but was living in IV and driving a BMW so his parents had to be funding his lifestyle.  Why weren't they doing more?  If they were concerned enough to call the police for a welfare check, why the heck weren't they driving their asses up there to check on him themselves?  Why didn't they pull his funding to try to get him to come home and get help?  Sorry, I'm just pissed about the whole thing.

Not flaming but there's only so much parents of an adult child with mental illness can do.  As I understand it, he was seeing multiple therapists and they (along with a social worker) contacted the police when they found the YouTube videos, which is the first step in having him involuntarily committed.  The police didn't find him to be a danger to himself or others, so what else could they have done?  Maybe they were checking on him, but he could have covered his tracks for them just like he did for the police.  It's just a heartbreaking situation, I don't think there's an easy target of blame.

ETA: Also, Adam Lanza lived at home and was financially dependent on his mother but that didn't stop him from doing what he did, KWIM?

I understand,  I don't know if anything more could have been done since he was an adult but it just makes me angry that  Rodger's parents (as well as the news media) were real quick to lay the blame on the police.

My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• Options
    Perhaps THIS is the UO - I loathe ts/onesies with sayings.  Hate them with the heat of a thousand suns.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    melOHdy said:
    @elmoali but do you hate them because they aren't your style or do you find them tacky?
    They're not my taste because they're tacky? lol  My mom loves to send my older son shirts that say "Mom says no dating" and "stud" and I throw them right in the donation pile.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    I don't like Jennifer Aniston. She's a horrible actress and she ruined her face by getting that nose job.  I can't understand why she still has a career.

• Options
    nikel13 said:
    On the same note as Grace...How does Kristen Stewart still get work?  She has no range and she is not pretty.  I really don't like her.
    I think she is proof that a casting couch must exist. She's no box office draw, so how does she keep getting roles in anything?

• Options
    Continuing on my hatred of untalented, boring actresses, WTF is wrong with you, Jessica Alba?  In some interview I saw recently she talked about how she was "prude" and would nevvvvvaaahhh resort to sleeping with someone for a part.

Oh yeah, sure. I'm sure it's your immense talent, and your sparkling personality. Vapid twit. Who is she fooling? This girl can't act her way out of a paper bag and she's just bland and boring. There is no reason for her to have any kind of longevity.

Meanwhile, there are real actresses out there (hello, Marion Cotillard, Jessica Chastain, Claire Danes) who never as much press as Blake Not-So-Lively and Scarlett Johansson.

There is some serious casting couch action going on in this town.

/rant

• Options
    BC&LMBC&LM member

melOHdy said:
    We argued this when we were pregnant.  Until Lilly can pick her own clothes, I don't have a problem putting her in humorous onesies.  Sure, some are more offensive than others but it's the parent's choice.  I personally don't see anything wrong with at least the first two pictured above. 

I also don't think the clothing choices impact her level of "class."  My parenting and instilling values in her are what impacts her.  
    The second one is not so bad, but the first one seems like it is just using the word boobs all big like that simply to shock and get attention.  The third and fourth are really bad IMO.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Hmmm  I was trying to think about it, but I don't think we have any shirts that have sayings for Colton. the closest one is this: (other than a Beatles t shirt)image
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Options
    A family friend gave us a onesie with a red solo cup on the front that said one day I will be trashed at prom. It didn't offend me but I didn't put it on him either.

• Options
    Lizzybizzy80Lizzybizzy80 member
    edited May 2014

I'd rather have one good strip of bacon than 5 bad ones. I'm looking at you turkey bacon.

I rather have 5 strips of good bacon :) ...  bacon....  I need to make myself a BLT this weekend... 
    --------------------------------------------
    BLTs are the best sandwiches ever.

• Options
    kread8kread8 member
    GraceInCA said:
    Continuing on my hatred of untalented, boring actresses, WTF is wrong with you, Jessica Alba?  In some interview I saw recently she talked about how she was "prude" and would nevvvvvaaahhh resort to sleeping with someone for a part.

Oh yeah, sure. I'm sure it's your immense talent, and your sparkling personality. Vapid twit. Who is she fooling? This girl can't act her way out of a paper bag and she's just bland and boring. There is no reason for her to have any kind of longevity.

Meanwhile, there are real actresses out there (hello, Marion Cotillard, Jessica Chastain, Claire Danes) who never as much press as Blake Not-So-Lively and Scarlett Johansson.

There is some serious casting couch action going on in this town.

/rant

I agree with you that those women are not talented actresses, but I also think they are prettier and curvier (i.e. appeal more to men and, IMO, to women) than the other actresses you listed.  So I'm not so sure it's a casting couch thing as it is their sex appeal in general, if that makes sense?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

M/C 7/8/12

Perfect baby boy born 7/8/13

BFP 8/20/14 EDD 4/27/15 It's a GIRL!!

• Options
    kread8kread8 member
    andplusalso, all the women you listed as poor actresses are the ones that attend a TON of red carpet events and have great stylists so they make all the US weeklys/In Touch Magazines/etc. and that gives them longevity in this day and age.  Sad, but true.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

M/C 7/8/12

Perfect baby boy born 7/8/13

BFP 8/20/14 EDD 4/27/15 It's a GIRL!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"