April 2014 Moms
Options

Exclusively pumping Big Thread

Re: Exclusively pumping Big Thread

• Options
    Mrs.Kohalic17Mrs.Kohalic17 member
    edited June 2014
    Well we already supplement a formula bottle on occasion so we would just do that if anything. Idk this is hard & confusing.
    NTNP 11/2011 CP 11/29/12 BFP 8/6/13 EDD 4/16/14 ♥ 
    Logan Timothy - Born 4/5/14 @ 38w3d, 7lbs14.8oz, 20½in.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I second @snmetz7‌. It took a little bit for my body to get used to it, but I can now pump a whole bottle after her morning feeding. I take fenugreek as well and that helped too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Kiinde kozii users: does yours leak?

Mine don't (I have 2). Did you fill it too high? The directions were a little confusing to DH and I... Or do you leave it on after you take a bottle or bag out?
    image    image    image    image

• Options
    Dixon813Dixon813 member
    edited June 2014
    Hi ladies! I've been reading your thread (I EBF but pump for a stash and for DH to feed) but DS isn't gaining weight so now I'm giving him 1 oz by bottle after he nurses.

My question to you all is since I'm only giving 1 oz at a time, I'm going to go through bottles quickly. Can I put more than 1 oz in and use the bottle again? (Say put 2-3 in, feed him 1 oz and save the bottle for the next feeding?) do you put it back in the fridge? Leave out?

Thanks ladies!!

ETA hit post too soon!
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    KM0715KM0715 member
    How many feedings per day are you doing with your LOs?

I offer 4 oz 7 times a day.. Went to pedi today and while total # of oz is in the range, she said we should be offering more less frequently- by only offering the 4 DD is only "grazing" all day and insulin levels aren't going up and down as much as they should. I thought 7 feedings a day was reasonable.. I hadn't read or seen anything about increasing oz and decreasing # of feedings over time. Pedi suggested 6-8 oz 4-5 times a day. I can't imagine DD taking 8 oz in one feeding!

• Options
    KM0715 said:

How many feedings per day are you doing with your LOs?

I offer 4 oz 7 times a day.. Went to pedi today and while total # of oz is in the range, she said we should be offering more less frequently- by only offering the 4 DD is only "grazing" all day and insulin levels aren't going up and down as much as they should. I thought 7 feedings a day was reasonable.. I hadn't read or seen anything about increasing oz and decreasing # of feedings over time. Pedi suggested 6-8 oz 4-5 times a day. I can't imagine DD taking 8 oz in one feeding!

Wow! DD only eats between 2-3.5 oz per feeding 9-12x a day. We offer her more but she doesn't want it. You can't force a baby to eat. Our pedi never mentioned this but I'll definitely bring it up next week. I didn't even think formula fed babies eat that much in one sitting this young but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    maelicmaelic member
    Our ped never asked, not even her total oz per day. If I forced 6oz at a time on my girl she'd a) not eat it and b) barf it up after.
  • Options
    @Dixon813‌ I figure since breast milk is good for 6 hours in room temp I give them their "leftovers," I doubt you're supposed to because of bacteria, but refrigerating after probably slows it down. You could also give one oz, then refill that same bottle another oz and reattach the same nipple, repeat, until you know how many oz he will eat after BF.

• Options
    @KM0715‌ we do ~8 feedings a day @4-4.5 oz. with the last feeding being 5oz., I discovered that if we feed them 5oz each time they don't "last longer" during the day."

• Options
    I had my first overflow experience today. I wasn't paying attention and milk was spilling am over my shirt and pants but it's body temperature so I didn't notice until I had lost probably an ounce! Feeling pretty dumb!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    drake gets 5 oz at a time . usually has 30-35 ounces a day. hes 8 weeks old on saturday.
    FTM to Drake born 04/19/2014
    8 lbs 7.6 oz 21 Inches

• Options
    Logan eats 4-5oz each time & still eats every 2-4hrs, just depends. He's a chunky monkey tho & was 14lbs at his 2mth appt. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    My girls have six 4 oz bottles a day. 3 formula and 3 breast milk. They probably take about 20 oz total. There is no way they could take more. They are 10 weeks but still just around 9 lbs.

Ella - 10/19/10
    Julia and Aubrey - 4/3/14

• Options
    DD2 drinks around 28-32 oz per day, 3-4 oz at a time.  Her 2 month appointment is this week, but she's been in the 95-98th percentile since birth.

• Options
    I never wake up for my middle if the night pump anymore. I set my alarm(s) and always turn it off half asleep and go back to bed. Then I end up waking when DS is getting up and by that time I have to change him/feed him/ get him back to sleep first, then pump; and my boobs are out of control! So annoying. Why can't I just wake up like I am supposed to grrrrrrrr :-/
  • Options
    @Blinkalish‌ I am the same way! Sweet sleep is just too powerful. I pump right before I go to bed (~10pm) and thankfully they wake up like clockwork at 2a and 5am and I pump then, but sometimes after I get them back to bed I lay down for just a second to "see what it feels like" and obviously fall asleep and miss a pumping. Holy pain, batman. I could kick myself every time.

• Options
    @Blinkalish‌ and @KatieGummow‌ - I usually try pumping around 10 pm after LO goes down for the night, but I was soooo tired yesterday, I said "#uck it." Figuring LO would be up by 1 am anyway...

Well, although I'm thrilled my LO surprised me by sleeping a shocking, first-time 6.5 hour stretch until 4:30 am, my boobs were practically petrified. While DH fed her a bottle, I pumped 14 combined oz between the ladies. "Holy pain, Batman" is right!! :((
  • Options
    Just for a laugh... I was at my inlaws house and was going to get the flangs out of the fridge and discreetly sneak upstairs to pump while my FIL, SIL, and her fiancé were sitting on the couch watching tv. I open the fridge and FIL (well meaning) says.. What are you looking for?! Slightly embarrassed I said "my pump parts"... He looks at me funny and says, "pop tarts!?!".....face palm. So much for being discreet.
  • Options
    @Kelsey2me‌ omg hilarious! I would be so mortified to have to repeat it. Thanks for sharing!

Do you ladies pump 20 minutes and stop or go until you stop dripping? Kellymom and LC said go for 20 minutes, even after you stop dripping, but I feel like milk could keep coming out forever some times.

• Options
    I pump for 20 min minimum and up to 35 min if I have time. I usually get another Let down at 27 min. I'm only doing 5ppd though so I have at least 10oz to get out for each pump if not more.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I go until I stop dripping. If it didn't take too long I'll pump maybe an extra 5mins, sometimes I'll get another small letdown but usually not so I just stop.
    If that makes sense?
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'm not EP, but I follow this thread - and I've been pumping for 20 minutes but I've noticed that I barely get any more after 7-10 minutes (usually 2 let downs within that time...) thinking I may stop pumping for the while 20 since the last 10 nothing happens... :/
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I pump for 20 minutes usually but at least one pump a day i will pump for longer . I generally only pump about 6 times a day though.

My left side is very sensitive past few days and have had to turn down the pump on that side or its uncomfortable when it wasn't before. Not sure whats up with that . too much pumping  or too high speed/suction maybe . Still taking the fenugreek and I d say that alone has increased my supply A LOT ! Almost an extra ounce a pumping .  Id say the fenugreek and taking better care that I m being consistent about pumping enough times has increased supply. 
    It is still really hard for me on the weekend to be as consistent as I am Mon-Fri when its just me and LO at home with our daily routine.
    8 lbs 7.6 oz 21 Inches

• Options
    Lindsay808Lindsay808 member
    edited June 2014
    Guys. I think 200 oz of milk wasted. DH left the freezer cracked last night and some of the milk felt like it was defrosting...so I assume my whole stash is ruined. What would you guys do?
    ETA: throw out all of it to be safe of just the ones that were partially defrosted in the front?
  • Options
    MamamonzoMamamonzo member
    edited June 2014

Guys. I think 200 oz of milk wasted. DH left the freezer cracked last night and some of the milk felt like it was defrosting...so I assume my whole stash is ruined. What would you guys do?

DONT TOSS IT!!!

As long a there are still frozen bits it can freeze again

ETA: I get my info from an exclusive pumping Facebook group called exclusively pumping mamas. Great group to join, this just happened to someone and this is the advice multiple experienced mamas gave!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    if its actually defrosted and warm , i'd toss it. otherwise id put the partially defrosted but cold milk in the fridge to finish defrosting and use it right away.
    8 lbs 7.6 oz 21 Inches

• Options
    Ah thank you guys! That is such a relief to know.
  • Options
    I went from pumping 2 oz per sesh yesterday to 5 oz this morning and feeling full an hour later... can't pump for another two hours because im back at work but WTAF!?
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    KM0715KM0715 member
    edited June 2014
    I'm trying to move from 6/7 pumping sessions a day to around 5.. Any suggestions for how to do so in a way that won't affect supply? I do find when I pump 4 hours apart as opposed to 3 I get a lot more so I'm hoping that just continues on the new schedule...

ETA: right now I get anywhere from 3-8oz in a session and produce more than enough for LOs daily intake.

• Options
    In the past I have just dropped one pump and evenly spaced out the others to make up for it. I didn't see a supply drop until I went to 4 and it was only a 3oz decrease per day.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    bsh25cbsh25c member
    @Dixon813‌, I noticed a similar pattern to my pumping and I stop at approximately the 15 minute mark now. Once I stop actively dripping, I go two more minutes then quit. I see no reason to pump longer than necessary. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    It is recommended to keep at least 8 pumps per day until 12 weeks because your supply takes a dip then and your supply regulates. That being said, I dropped to 6 pumps per day at 5 weeks because I was going f'ing crazy.
  • Options

@KatieGummow

I should have specified the twist system is what is leaking for me Isleep deprivation!) I tried using the Kiinde nipples and also tried attaching a Dr. Browns nipple using the purple attachment and it leaked as well. Not cool when we are talking liquid gold. I can only use the bags and warmer, but bottle system part of it seems worthless and I end up pouring the milk from bag into another bottle which I thought was the whole point.

• Options
    After a week straight of having a "bad day" with the pump, I decided that I'm going to throw in the towel. I'm going to slowly wean and I have a stash, which should put LO having bm for 12 weeks.

I'm so exhausted and sick of giving up sleep to pump. I also will enjoy more time with my baby and less time worrying about pumping. No more stressing about going anywhere and hoping it doesn't last longer than 3-4 hours because I have to go pump. I'm looking forward to having my body back.

Thank you ladies for this thread and advice. Best wishes to you all! You all are rockstars!
  • Options
    @Lindsay808‌, good for you for sticking it out the whole week! You should have a pump burning party. I can't wait to be done!

@selina1113‌ you should contact the company to give you new bottles and nipples. Mine are air tight and work well! They should replace them.

• Options
    So annoying! Lately my right gal is spraying after my 20 minutes is up... I soooo look forward to that timer go off, it's heartbreaking (dramatic, I know) to have to keep going for another minutes. It feels like an hour!

• Options

So annoying! Lately my right gal is spraying after my 20 minutes is up... I soooo look forward to that timer go off, it's heartbreaking (dramatic, I know) to have to keep going for another minutes. It feels like an hour!

That started happening to me. Now I have another let down at 27 minutes. Sooo annoying!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    aviola329 said:

Hey ladies I'm sure this has been covered but I can't find it. Right now I'm EBF but starting to pump more to build a stash for my return to work. I need to bite the bullet and get a hands free pumping bra because this whole one at a time thing is getting old fast. Any one have a good one they'd recommend...and/or a good tutorial for a DIY one that is easy for a non sewer like myself?

I took an old sports bra that was really stretchy and didn't have padding and cut holes about an inch wide right where my nipple are. Super easy and no sewing! I recommend starting by cutting a small hole, seeing if you can stretch it to fit the flang through, and slowly cutting it wider and wider until you can. I accidentally cut one hole too big and it didn't hold the flang in place.
  • Options
    So I bought the medla pump instyle and had been using that from the start. I finally decided to cash in on my free one through insurance and the only one they offered was the ameda purely yours. I got it last night, and I am trying to hold off my judgement but after the first pump with it I'm frustrated. It does not have an automatic letdown feature and has a different knob for strength and speed. I tried to mimic my medelas letdown then pump but it was just a mess and when it was all said and done I only got 1/5 oz from a sesh that I know I should be getting at least 2.5 from.

SO! Is there anyone here who uses the Ameda successfully and has any tips and tricks for me to be more comfortable/happy with this pump? The idea was to leave the medela at work and the ameda at home and be covered no matter where I was.. so any help is appreciated !
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    aviola329 said:

Hey ladies I'm sure this has been covered but I can't find it. Right now I'm EBF but starting to pump more to build a stash for my return to work. I need to bite the bullet and get a hands free pumping bra because this whole one at a time thing is getting old fast. Any one have a good one they'd recommend...and/or a good tutorial for a DIY one that is easy for a non sewer like myself?

I Love my simple wishes bra. There is one they have that doubles as a nursing bra and pumping bra and is sleek enough to wear as your normal bra under your clothes. I used code SIMPLE50 to get 50% off on their website. I don't know if that promotion is going on still or not.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"