July 2014 Moms

GTKY: Your state/region stereotype

Re: GTKY: Your state/region stereotype

• ^^^^ extremely accurate and hilarious!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I live in Oklahoma. There are more stereotypes for that than I even know where to begin......

• Loading the player...
  • Born & raised in WI so automatically all we do is drink beer and eat cheese. Which I do love my cheese and we all liked to drink beer, Wisconsin beer cheese soup is actually one of my favorite soups lol!!!

Currently living in MN haven't been here long enough to know anything other then Minnesota Nice which is sometimes true and sometimes not lol!
    Happily married for......
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @obrienerikaa don't you have really good German food too? That's one thing (along with Mexican) we can't really get here. Mmmmmmm bratwurst.

imageimageimage
  • Salsera29 said:
    @obrienerikaa don't you have really good German food too? That's one thing (along with Mexican) we can't really get here. Mmmmmmm bratwurst.

Hold up. You can't get Mexican food?

• North Dakota.... "People actually live there?"

"At least you have the faces."... Referring to Mt Rushmore in the other Dakota.

This secret is getting out that ND has had one of the strongest economies in the last 10 years though, so many of our old stereotypes are dying.
    Me: 27    DH: 30
    Married in 2011
    Baby 1: Stillborn at 27 weeks (April 2014)
    Baby 2: Due May 2016

• Home state: 
    In Georgia, we're all in-bred red necks.

Current state:
    In Hawaii, we are all tan, dance hula, and surf all day.
  • I was born in Philly, grew up in "Happy White Families", NJ and went to college in "Drunk Rutgers Students" NJ (guilty). Stereotypes are big hair, fake tans, bad accents, "What exit?", that we are all like the cast of Jersey shore. In reality, north and south are definitely different states and neither seems to want to claim central jersey. I saw a lot of hairspray in each but more tanning north than south, more factories north, more actual gardens south. I never met anyone like the cast of Jersey Shore except for maybe some kids in college who weren't even from NJ.

I live in VA now, no idea what stereotypes come with that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Indiana-hicks that are really into sports, especially racing and basketball.
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Salsera29 said:
    @obrienerikaa don't you have really good German food too? That's one thing (along with Mexican) we can't really get here. Mmmmmmm bratwurst.
    Yes delicious brats!! My mom actually has offered to send me some!
    Happily married for......
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I live in Oklahoma. There are more stereotypes for that than I even know where to begin......

ah, I'm from Oklahoma, too! Central region! :) but yeah, we certainly have a few stereotypes.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Salsera29 said:

Hold up. You can't get Mexican food?
    Not good, authentic Mexican food. I thought we had it and then I went to San Antonio and realized...no.

imageimageimage
  • I'm gonna try. Let's see... Oklahoma! My SIL had a foreign exchange student in a class at her high school a few years ago who was truly astonished. She told SIL that she thought our land was nothing but dust and that we rode horses everywhere. That was adorable..

pretty much stickin' with the red necked, gun totin', god fearing, republican, gay hatin', chicken fried 'n' fried tater state that tornadoes routinely tear through. "Oh, you're from Oklahoma? Wow, we heard about your tornadoes!" Yep. Yep, I heard about em too. In fact, I had to outrun a few of em, and that was last year. But normally, "tornado season" isn't as heavy hitting as last year's. And our state isn't always got, either! In fact, I think we are better off being called the "bi-polar state" because our weather changes so frequently. This week alone, we had snow Monday and Tuesday, and today I was wearing shorts. There's a quote... It was something like... "If you don't like the weather here, just wait five minutes. It'll change."
    BabyFruit Ticker

• They think we all like the phillies (untrue, I hate all sports), They think we all say "yous" as in how yous doin? Untrue. Some of us speak proper English. They want to know whether we prefer Pat's or Geno's. Neither because I prefer Pete's ;) They think that Wawa is a made up store. Untrue. it's the best fucking convenience store ever. They think we give a damn about the "rocky steps" but I couldn't care less. They think we're really mean and dirty ppl but we're really just mean. Lol no actually we're quite friendly (If you know the right person to approach) They have no clue what water ice is and have never heard of Rita's. ETA: I guess I should mention I'm from Philly. Also, anytime and every time anyone ever mentions west philadelphia, someone is going to think if not sing the fresh prince of bel-air song.
    hahaha...truth

image image
  • Salsera29 said:
    That is precisely why I could never leave Texas. I would die without my Mexican food. 

• Georgia: racist, sweet tea drinking, fried food eating rednecks who can't handle a measly 2 inches of snow.

image image
  • I'm from central MA.. Everyone thinks we are Assholes or Massholes, don't know how to drive, that we are all rude and in a rush. Most of us have accents, such as not pronouncing the letter R and we say things like Wicked, and Packie. Oh and our sports teams kick ass.

Pretty much all of these are true. Except not knowing how to drive, we are just all running late and have places to be and people to see!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Rural Missouri- red necks, hillbillies, farmers

I'm from suburban STL, mo though-so

STL--ghetto/hood you are gonna get shot at a stop light because you have cheetos/hamburger and you aren't sharing.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 11/18/13. EDD 7/25/14. It's a BOY! 

Surprise BFP 7/30/13. EDD 4/7/14. Natural MC 8/24/13

• Home State Michigan:  The unfortunate Detroit stereo types and then there are the Yoopers and most of what you hear is true.

Current State Wisconsin:  Beer-Drinking Packer loving Cheeseheads.  I absolutely despise the Packers but the cheese and beer are pretty awesome.  I believe I have shared my love for Cheese Curds and I stand by that.

DSC_0111DSC_0036

DS Born 4/7/2011
    DD Born 7/14/2014
  • edited January 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Kar2383Kar2383 member
    edited January 2014
  • tealowl said:
    Iowa - we're all very nice people and we live on farms, where we grow corn and drive tractors to school.

I feel ya @1982Babies !

I'm IL/IA border - everything thinks we are super duper nice, sheltered, grow corn and ride tractors. If I say just IL, automatically I'm from Chicago.

I do see tractors in the city sometimes, and I'm never far from a cornfield. The first time I got drunk was probably a cornfield party.

------- My husband gets so irritated when people from western Indiana say they are from Chicago - and then he says he is from Chicago to everyone else when people not from IL ask (he's from the western suburbs). No wonder everyone thinks everyone from IL is from Chicago!
    We're 2.5 hours away, so technically we are like a suburb right? =]
    I do the exact opposite!  I say I'm from central IL and everybody goes "Oh, so, Chicago, right?"  NO!  "Oh, so your from Southern IL?"  NO  Do people not realize that there is a whole big space in between Chicago and Carbondale?? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • bunkgirl said:

Home State Michigan:  The unfortunate Detroit stereo types and then there are the Yoopers and most of what you hear is true.

Current State Wisconsin:  Beer-Drinking Packer loving Cheeseheads.  I absolutely despise the Packers but the cheese and beer are pretty awesome.  I believe I have shared my love for Cheese Curds and I stand by that.
    Detroit... I think of eminem /yum
  • From Boca raton, fl : a bunch of rich old snobs

Currently live in Carroll County Maryland : a bunch of hillbilly rednecks
  • Indiana-hicks that are really into sports, especially racing and basketball.
    This is my in-laws...They have hours of drag racing DVR'd and made me go to a monster truck rally.  It was horrible.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I live in New Orleans, Louisiana.  So obviously, I'm a boozehound who can cook amazing food. Also, a lot of people assume I was trapped in the city during Katrina and that I had to kick my way through my roof to escape.  But actually I evacuated and lived somewhere else for about 3 months. (We were very lucky - my house did not flood.) 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm from Iowa. We all live on farms, wear overalls and drives tractors. Oh, and we must all be backwoods conservative hicks with no class.

In reality, there are a lot of farm and cornfields, but I can't tell you the last time I saw a tractor or someone in overalls. We're actually a very progressive state and I find people to be pretty forward thinking (most of the time).

Oh, and I actually agree with the Iowa Nice stereotype. I rarely run into rude or mean people here.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • bunkgirl said:

but the cheese and beer are pretty awesome.  I believe I have shared my love for Cheese Curds and I stand by that.

@bunkgirl My mom went to Wisconsin for a business trip and brought home cheese curds!!!! SERIOUSLY the best stuff ever!
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • I live in NY...NO not the City. There is this WHOLE other state attached to that little island. No we are not bad drivers (it's all the NJ and PA idiots who can't drive up here). Yes I am "upstate from the city and "downstate" from everything else. Yes, I live in Orange County, yes like Orange County Choppers. Yes, we have electric up here. No, we don't all love Hillary. We are not a "rude" state, we are actually very friendly. Most of the "rude" you encounter are tourists...

I have also lived in VA (blacksburg) -- Drunk, redneck, college kids... I suppose, but it's beautiful there and one of the best schools in the country!

I lived in Texas & Oklahoma (they don't really like each other)... But they really don't like NY'ers. I picked up an accent quickly to save my social life.

@AmericanInOz I spent 6mos in Wagga Wagga, NSW. I loved it. I traveled a lot while I was there. I loved Sydney. No kangaroos there. But beware of the "Drop bears" lmao. Ohh how the locals loved to play. Lots of Kangaroos in Wagga tho! Oh, and no... you can't get a "fosters" in Australia. And you can buy pre-mixed drinks in a can. Jack a coke? sure! Pop the top and it's ready to go! I want to go back so bad!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image  image
  • There's the "Minnesota Nice" description which is pretty accurate. Today I was walking into our ECFE class with DS and we were only halfway across the parking lot and this lady that just reached the door stood there and held it open for us. I said "come on DS, let's run" and she's like "oh no, no rush!" Obviously it's not puppies and rainbows, but generally I find people are pretty considerate of each other.
    I'm a MN girl stuck on the east coast... it's like night and day as far as how people treat one another. I really miss midwestern values and down-to-earthness. In VA, everyone's after a great career and a super fast-paced life. Not really my speed. 

Minnesotans are super kind. And yes, Minnesotans always talk about the weather and we like it.  

BabyFruit Ticker

• Northern California..do we have a stereotype? Maybe that our wine is the best? All liberal? I really don't know.
    Yea, i can't think of anything specific to Nor Cal. We kinda get ignored. If your from California, you must be from S Cal and go to the beach everyday type shit. No one remembers us. 
    I've heard people say that people from NorCal are liberal hippies. I'm from SoCal (not the beach) and have heard that we are viewed as fake.  
    I've totally heard the opposite. That NorCal folks because of all our Ag are redneck hillbillies. I've also heard the "you live by movie stars and go to the beach everyday" thing. 
  • I live in NY...NO not the City. There is this WHOLE other state attached to that little island. No we are not bad drivers (it's all the NJ and PA idiots who can't drive up here). Yes I am "upstate from the city and "downstate" from everything else. Yes, I live in Orange County, yes like Orange County Choppers. Yes, we have electric up here. No, we don't all love Hillary. We are not a "rude" state, we are actually very friendly. Most of the "rude" you encounter are tourists...

I have also lived in VA (blacksburg) -- Drunk, redneck, college kids... I suppose, but it's beautiful there and one of the best schools in the country!

I lived in Texas & Oklahoma (they don't really like each other)... But they really don't like NY'ers. I picked up an accent quickly to save my social life.

@AmericanInOz I spent 6mos in Wagga Wagga, NSW. I loved it. I traveled a lot while I was there. I loved Sydney. No kangaroos there. But beware of the "Drop bears" lmao. Ohh how the locals loved to play. Lots of Kangaroos in Wagga tho! Oh, and no... you can't get a "fosters" in Australia. And you can buy pre-mixed drinks in a can. Jack a coke? sure! Pop the top and it's ready to go! I want to go back so bad!!!

I live in the "downstate" part of NY technically Long Island... So everyone thinks your rich (especially if you grew up on the north shore).  Everyone thinks you say "Long GUYLAND" bad accents and some people really do have bad accents (my sister being one of them) I don't think I do but hey you never know (NY state lotto motto there LOL).  People think we're loud and obnoxious (some really are) people think we are rude I agree it's mainly the tourists in NY who are the rude indivdiuals.  People think I go to "the city" which includes all 5 boroughs but thats note true I try and avoid Manhatten as its always crowded. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• I typically claim NJ and NC. NJ has pretty much been covered and I think can be summed up by Jersey Shore. From that map posted before I lived right on the border of "farms and army bases" and "pretty much Alabama", which is totally true!

NC - I guess the stereotype would be redneck conservatives who only cook in lard. Not true for ALL of the state :P

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was born in Philly, grew up in "Happy White Families", NJ and went to college in "Drunk Rutgers Students" NJ (guilty). Stereotypes are big hair, fake tans, bad accents, "What exit?", that we are all like the cast of Jersey shore. In reality, north and south are definitely different states and neither seems to want to claim central jersey. I saw a lot of hairspray in each but more tanning north than south, more factories north, more actual gardens south. I never met anyone like the cast of Jersey Shore except for maybe some kids in college who weren't even from NJ.

I live in VA now, no idea what stereotypes come with that.
    Truth!

I grew up in South Jersey. Never even been to NYC even though it's only 2 hrs from here. We're all farm territory here. Most stuff closes at 8 or 9pm. I moved to Delaware for a while, but we're back in the good ole' SJ for now.
    I grew up and went to college in central jersey. It really is a mix of north and south. My sister roots for the eagles and the yankees lol. I have to say, most of the nj stereotypes only apply to north jersey. Hudson, essex, union, bergen, and passaic counties could be their own state.

Example: when I moved to north jersey and ordered a pork roll, egg and cheese and they looked at me funny. Ok, taylor ham. I don't give a shit what brand you use just make my sammich!

imageimageimage
  • Wisconsin, where we say things like "yah dehr, hey dehr, dontcha know" while drinking beer and eating cheese. These are pretty much true....meanwhile I think our culture surrounding alcohol is sad and disgusting :(
  • Lancaster, PA.  Apparently we are all Amish.  Which is probably half true.

• Salsera29 said:
    I grew up and went to college in central jersey. It really is a mix of north and south. My sister roots for the eagles and the yankees lol. I have to say, most of the nj stereotypes only apply to north jersey. Hudson, essex, union, bergen, and passaic counties could be their own state.

Example: when I moved to north jersey and ordered a pork roll, egg and cheese and they looked at me funny. Ok, taylor ham. I don't give a shit what brand you use just make my sammich!
    Whoa, I didn't know they didn't call it pork roll in North Jersey!   Gooodddd I would love a porkroll egg and cheese right now. I can buy pork roll and make it myself but haven't ever seen it on a menu down here =(

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hilo, Hawaii...that everyone surfs and smokes weed. I don't surf and I've never even tried weed.

And for those in Seattle suck if the rain stereotype, Hilo rains more than Seattle does. It's pretty miserable at times. So not all of Hawaii is sunny and warm all the time!

Also, people don't live in grass shacks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"