July 2014 Moms
Options

GTKY: Your state/region stereotype

Since ya'll are complaining our board is boring, lets try this!

What's a stereotype people put you in when they find out where

Canadians better not ruin my dream that you all ride moose to work. DONT YOU DARE RUIN THIS.

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: GTKY: Your state/region stereotype

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    TugboatSheilaTugboatSheila member
    edited January 2014
    southwestern Ohio. Racist farmer

Edited to remove actual city.

• Options
    Northern California..do we have a stereotype? Maybe that our wine is the best? All liberal? I really don't know.
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Options
    Buffalo, NY - that all it does it snow and our sports teams suck.

True stereotype: we love our chicken wings
  • Options
    tealowltealowl member
    edited January 2014
    Iowa - we're all very nice people and we live on farms, where we grow corn and drive tractors to school.

I feel ya @1982Babies !

I'm IL/IA border - everything thinks we are super duper nice, sheltered, grow corn and ride tractors. If I say just IL, automatically I'm from Chicago.

Somewhat true stereotype: I do see tractors in the city sometimes, and I'm never far from a cornfield. The first time I got drunk was probably a cornfield party.

Oh, and we all love casseroles and jello salad.

Casseroles are amazing, jello is disgusting.

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    I feel like sw ct is looked at as stuck up rich people. Maybe not nationwide, but Fairfield County is expensive. We're not all Martha Stewart here.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Ditto 1982babies.  I grew up in Iowa and when I moved to Boston for law school, I got a LOT of "Oh, did you grow up on a farm?" "This student is from Iowa as well.  You two must know each other, right?" and "Your state is nothing but conservative farmers, correct?"  UGH!  I got the "nice" stereotype a lot as well, but I find that one to be generally very true. 

Now I live in Chicago, so I don't hear many stereotypes other than "It's cold there - that's why they call it the Windy City!" (actually, that's not where the name Windy City comes from) or "Nothing but a bunch of corrupt politicians!"
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Iowa - we're all very nice people and we live on farms, where we grow corn and drive tractors to school.

I feel ya @1982Babies !

I'm IL/IA border - everything thinks we are super duper nice, sheltered, grow corn and ride tractors. If I say just IL, automatically I'm from Chicago.

I do see tractors in the city sometimes, and I'm never far from a cornfield. The first time I got drunk was probably a cornfield party.

------- My husband gets so irritated when people from western Indiana say they are from Chicago - and then he says he is from Chicago to everyone else when people not from IL ask (he's from the western suburbs). No wonder everyone thinks everyone from IL is from Chicago!
    We're 2.5 hours away, so technically we are like a suburb right? =]

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    I live in Arizona, everyone here must be illegal.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Ditto 1982babies.  I grew up in Iowa and when I moved to Boston for law school, I got a LOT of "Oh, did you grow up on a farm?" "This student is from Iowa as well.  You two must know each other, right?" and "Your state is nothing but conservative farmers, correct?"  UGH!  I got the "nice" stereotype a lot as well, but I find that one to be generally very true. 

Now I live in Chicago, so I don't hear many stereotypes other than "It's cold there - that's why they call it the Windy City!" (actually, that's not where the name Windy City comes from) or "Nothing but a bunch of corrupt politicians!"
    That's too funny - I came from Massachusetts (and hit a few places on the way) and ended up in Iowa.  When I told people where I was from, they always asked "Oh, Boston??".  Sure, I was born in Stoneham, but there's more to the state than Boston.  Cmon, people.

I don't find people to be very nice.  I think that's BS ;)
    *SIGGY*
    Baby G born 6/6/14, 37 weeks 1 day due to preeclampsia.  5lb12oz 19"
    #2 due Christmas 2016. 

• Options
    STL area- that we love in the ghetto since STL is one of the most dangerous cities. Uhhhh just stay out of North City and you're fine.

I'm actually in IL and people assume I'm from Chicago or think we're all farmers. They also think we hate the Cubs, which is true, but we also hate the Reds and Red Sox
    --------------
    imageimage

M/C: 1/24/2010

Cecelia:11/22/10

CAUTIOUSLY expecting Jace in July August 2014

Old Bumpie, New name 
  • Options
    TRS48TRS48 member
    edited January 2014
    Florida.... that we're all crazy news stories waiting to happen. Not all of us assault people with bananas or blow up our own houses due to a meth lab accident... I swear!

• Options

Dallas, TX - Everyone hates our football team (jerks ;))

We're all Republican, ride horses, drive big trucks, carry guns and talk like hicks. (I do say "y'all" and "howdy" but I don't really have an accent) I'm not Republican, don't ride horses, don't drive a big truck, although DH does, and I don't carry a gun but I do own one.

The women are all beautiful and graceful (not true lol)

Chuck Norris used to live in Dallas (now lives right outside) and that is something to be proud of!

• Options

That's too funny - I came from Massachusetts (and hit a few places on the way) and ended up in Iowa.  When I told people where I was from, they always asked "Oh, Boston??".  Sure, I was born in Stoneham, but there's more to the state than Boston.  Cmon, people.

I don't find people to be very nice.  I think that's BS ;)
    Funny how the flip side works. :)

• Options
    I'm originally from Oregon.   We're all a bunch of coffee drinking, hippie environmentalists and it rains all the time!  

Also, Oregon has become pretty hip in the decade since I've lived there.  So a lot of people think of Oregonians as hipsters who wear plaid and skinny jeans and fake glasses all the time (which is largely true) and it is also known known for great beer and wine.  I'm so bummed I didn't drink back when I lived there!

DH's family is from the south, so to them, I'm just a Yankee.  I keep trying to tell them that while Oregon is technically north, we really weren't involved in that whole civil war situation.. we were busy protecting our gold and claiming land ;-)  But they don't care. 

• Options
    Northern California..do we have a stereotype? Maybe that our wine is the best? All liberal? I really don't know.
    Yea, i can't think of anything specific to Nor Cal. We kinda get ignored. If your from California, you must be from S Cal and go to the beach everyday type shit. No one remembers us. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
    BFP: 11.09.13   EDD: 07.21.14 
    Baby Sylvia born 07.20.14
    5 lbs 14.8 oz | 20 1/4 inches

• Options
    Oh boy- I think my state might be the most notorious. Good ole Newwww Jersey. We do laundry go tanning go to the gym say cawfee, drive like assholes( that ones true ) rude, loud, obnoxious, we all act like the people on the jersey shore, our state smells like garbage, and it's goes on and on and on....
  • Options
    Buffalo, NY - that all it does it snow and our sports teams suck. True stereotype: we love our chicken wings
    But...it does snow all the time and your sports teams do suck. ;-)

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Yea, i can't think of anything specific to Nor Cal. We kinda get ignored. If your from California, you must be from S Cal and go to the beach everyday type shit. No one remembers us. 
    I think people think of Northern California as a separate state (at least southern californians/transplanted southern californians like myself do ;-)).   Southern CA is (stereotypically) all about being flashy (driving nice cars, highlights, fake boobs, designer clothes), going to beach, sunshine, hollywood, etc.   Northern CA peeps (again, stereotypically) are the liberal, hippie environmentalists like Oregonians ;-)  But they also have the good wine and the snobby, rich tech people.  So it's a tricky mix up North!

• Options
    Salsera29 said:

Csltdk said:

Oh boy- I think my state might be the most notorious. Good ole Newwww Jersey. We do laundry go tanning go to the gym say cawfee, drive like assholes( that ones true ) rude, loud, obnoxious, we all act like the people on the jersey shore, our state smells like garbage, and it's goes on and on and on....

Damn you beat me! And I have to add...that our whole state is cities and industrial areas. I grew up in farm country! My brother drives a pickup, hunts, and loves Hank Williams. 

The true part is that we do tend to be more direct than people in other parts of the country. Where someone from the south might say, "Bless your heart," we'll just come right out and tell you to go fuck yourself. 

Newark and Elizabeth do smell like garbage too lol.

LOL! I completely agree we have a certain rough around the edges you can call it- and I grew up north New Jersey and like you gre up on 13 acres of woods and it's beautiful! I will however never travel to Patterson Elizabeth or Camden due to the trash stench lol.

• Options
    Nashville - We all wear cowboy boots & big belt bucks. We are all musicians trying to make it big and that's why we live here.

I haven't owned boots since I was a kid & rode horses at my grandfather's house, I own regular belts & I moved here because it's the state capitol & I majored in politics.
  • Options
    Originally from Maine: We're a bunch of hippies who live in the woods (nope), have moose in our backyards (just once I swear!), and shop at LLBean (this is true). Oh and it snows there year round (I've never seen it snow June-August).

Now live in Alabama: We're a bunch of rednecks who live in the woods (still nope), we're poorly educated (I'm a college prof, so I hope I'm improving this), we're all racist (sadly I've met a lot of these), we're all conservatives (nope, although the state will never go blue), and we only care about football (about 80%).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Michigan = that there's nothing here but Detroit. People always forget that most of the state is stunning forests, lakefront, and amazingly vibrant communities...

Detroit = that it's a scum sucking hellhole and it should just die. I don't live IN Detroit, but don't even get me started on the people that talk smack and know nothing about it, the people, or the growing opportunities in the area.
  • Options
    jessa8907 said:
    I'm from NE Missouri. I am sure most of the Midwest stereotypes apply (redneck, conservative, farmers, cornfields, whitetail deer hunting, etc.). The town I love in is actually pretty progressive considering it's under 20k population. There are two universities here so I think that's why.
    But yet you have no Target?! ;)

• Options
    andyandrachelandyandrachel member
    edited January 2014
    Salsera29 said:

Buffalo, NY - that all it does it snow and our sports teams suck.

True stereotype: we love our chicken wings

But...it does snow all the time and your sports teams do suck. ;-)

----------------------------------------------
    Winters, we do see our fair share of snow (hello Lake Effect Snow), but we've got beautiful summers. It seems to be our secret though.

And though the sports teams never win the big national championships (lacrosse aside) we've got a long history of making it to the big games.
  • Options
    Mississippi/Tennessee We bless everyone's hearts. We fry everything. We're all bigoted racist redneck hicks who need to be edumacated by the big city folks.

• Options
    @bunny0711 yes and Philadelphia has wonderful medical care! I love all the penn facilities
  • Options
    Hello from Nevada, where we are all chain smoking gambling, rodeo loving, showgirls.

• Options
    Welcome to North Carolina, home of conservative, sweet tea-drinking, "bless your heart"-ing hicks!

I do love NC though!

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• Options
    Phoenix, AZ- everyone is racist right-wing nut job and that we all live in the desert and our homes are tepees. No joke, someone asked me if there are tepees in Phoenix. Um, no. We're one of the largest metropolitan cities in the country....
    Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

• Options
    That I have two teeth, no education, and am married to my cousin. Welcome to wild and wonderful West Virginia.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Csltdk said:
    @bunny0711 yes and Philadelphia has wonderful medical care! I love all the penn facilities
    I love Phili more than NYC. It's a fantastic city!! Mmmmmm now I want a cheesesteak. 

imageimageimage
  • Options
    My stereotype ideas about Canada...nice, progressive people with great healthcare. They love hockey and anything made with maple sugar. They look down on Americans sometimes but in a kind of affectionate way. @Bpaws how did I do? :-)

imageimageimage
  • Options
    bgoodbparbgoodbpar member
    edited January 2014
    Southern California... Hmm...

Sunshine and beach bums.. Well that's kinda true, esp since I live in a beach city... Surfers are still out at 6 am in January ....but that's hardly representative of the whole population ... And it does rain, I promise... Not this particular winter however...

Were fake...we know celebrities... We're uppity... Liberal... Drive drop-tops...

• Options
    AmericanInOzAmericanInOz member
    edited January 2014

I'm from MN, although no one here really knows where that it is :) They do assume all Americans have guns though

A lot of people in the US have assumde that we have kangaroos hopping down the street in Sydney (yea, no) and that everyone talks like Crocodile Dundee (maybe up north, but not here!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"