Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Offering juice - question and vent

2»

Re: Offering juice - question and vent

• Options
    So none of you would be upset if your care provider undermined you on a consistent basis?

I find that hard to believe. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It's actually illegal for childcares to provide juice to children in CA. Glad we live in a state that knows something about nutrition, rather than thinking apple juice is a "fruit"...

And I also gave DD a healthy birthday smash cake. Honestly, what's the big deal? It had bananas and was actually pretty yummy.
    There's a huge difference between a healthy smash cake and being a sugar nazi. I made my nephews smash cake. It was a low sugar banana cake with pastery creme (also low sugar) inside and a quick vanilla buttercream. The frosting was the only thing that had any real amount of sugar in it. It tasted good as well.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our smash cake was full of pureed mangos, although it also had a bit of added sugar, and had totally plain whipped cream for the frosting. It was great.

We don't do juice. I also think it's totally reasonable to be upset about your wishes being disregarded.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

It's actually illegal for childcares to provide juice to children in CA. Glad we live in a state that knows something about nutrition, rather than thinking apple juice is a "fruit"...

And I also gave DD a healthy birthday smash cake. Honestly, what's the big deal? It had bananas and was actually pretty yummy.

This is simply not true. Juice is not illegal in California daycares.

#2 BFP 8/23/14, EDD 5/1/15, M/C 9/17/14 - Forever in our hearts <3

• Options

This is simply not true. Juice is not illegal in California daycares.

Interesting, because my daycare told us that the only liquids they were allowed to provide were whole milk (before 2), 2% milk (after 2) and water.  Now maybe it's a San Diego licensing requirement, I'm not sure...

There actually was a law passed 3 years ago limiting juice to one serving a day and it must be 100% juice. The law also bans whole milk from children over the age of 2. So I guess there is a regulation, but not a complete ban.

#2 BFP 8/23/14, EDD 5/1/15, M/C 9/17/14 - Forever in our hearts <3

• Options
    amy052006 said:
    I am always amazed people are so whatever about juice. Any even close to up to date pedi is going to tell you to avoid juice. My parents are also our childcare, and also have the same attitude about juice. The difference? They don't blatantly disregard our request. I know it blows the mind of some people on the bump, but its true.
    I was actually at the Pedi last week talking about my daughter's issues with constipation.  He recommended I give her 2- 4 oz of juice (preferably prune) when she's in pain.  Juice really isn't the worst thing in the world.  

I think the point is most people would be annoyed with their parents.  Pissed or livid seems a bit dramatic to me.  
  • Options

Sorry but I am sitting here laughing. There is a law against juice? Wow. Talk about a Nazi state.

Cigarettes are legal, but juice is illegal in daycares.

Just wow. Moderation is my motto.

• Options
    And whole milk? WTF. Sure, it has fat and majority of people don't give whole milk after 2. But laws for it.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm not too shocked there's regulations for food and beverages in daycare's. It's like that everywhere. It's like that in public school as well. Where they dictate what can and cannot be served in a school setting with children. Like our state banned french fries and soda in public schools during school hours.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Juice and whole milk still shock me as things that are regulated. I don't equate them to soda.  Even my dentist recommended a brand and said in moderation.  One small glass a day is moderation to me. But what do I know? 

I think the country for sure needs to change and be healthier. I just think there is some balance.  A hamburger and fries once a week for a kid doesn't lead to obesity. Parents knowing nothing about nutrition, exercise, etc can lead to it.  If the whole country was debating about the health benefits of apple juice, we would have no issues.

• Options
    Eh. Not everyone knows the meaning of moderation. Also, for many children the only semi healthy meal they get is at daycare or school. Would all parents be as educated on the subject of moderation as you we might not have this problem.
  • Options
    Eh. Not everyone knows the meaning of moderation. Also, for many children the only semi healthy meal they get is at daycare or school. Would all parents be as educated on the subject of moderation as you we might not have this problem.
    I know. It really is a shame. 
  • Options

Just because people are uneducated doesn't mean the government should just do the thinking for them. The money to research and pass these regulations should be used to teach nutrition and moderation, not enforce it with dictarian laws.

• Options
    But the problem is that it doesn't matter. Yiu want everyone to eat healthy? Then make eating healthy cheaper. State regulations are there to make sure kids are getting proper nutrition when the parent is not there to feed them. Many people cannot afford to eat as healthy as they should. Many kids do not even eat at all at home. There are the kids whose parents don't care and feed them oreos and butter, but that isn't as big of a problem. It's a flaw in the system, but I think it's great that rules have changed so my 12 year old cannot eat nothing but french fries abd soda for lunch everyday or that my 1 year old isn't getting canned apple juice a snack time. It isn't a big deal that it's regulated. It's like that for a reason.
  • Options

Wow!  Just signed into the bump after not being on for 5 days.  I really didn't mean for my original post to start arguments between people.  Jeez ladies. 

So I did talk to my mom about the juice and she still doesn't agree with me but she said since I am the mom that she will obey my wishes and won't give DD any juice.  Like with many things we have just agreed to disagree on this subject.  No big deal.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You really also just have to know your child/children. Some kids can drink juice, milk and water...no problem. Some however, once they have had the sweet stuff, will refuse to go back to water. This has been my experience with working in a daycare setting, and having many parents vent about their child not drinking water anymore and only wanting juice. As for me, I'm doing no juice for now...she's only 13 months...plenty of time to drink all the juice she wants later. I told everyone in my family no juice. If they buy it, I'm drinking it. I want to be the one monitoring her foods. Also family, whether old or young, should just respect your wishes. Do what YOU think is best for YOUR child. All the best to you and your family.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"