Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Offering juice - question and vent

Ladies,

From what the pedi has told me and everything I have read there is no nutritional need to offer juice.  Correct? 

We have never given DD juice (22 months) besides a sip once in awhile of apple cider (when we were at the pumpkin patch this past fall) and orange juice that I had in the house once.  We rarely buy juice or soda and generally just drink water.  DD drinks water and cows milk just fine and I just don't see any need to offer her juice.

Anyway, this morning when I dropped her off at my mom's house on my way to work, my mom said to me "Oh, I was at the supermarket yesterday and I bought juiceboxes for her.  They say 100% juice and no sugar added but if you don't want me to give it to her I won't."   I was a bit annoyed at  my mom.      I know I have had the juice discussion with her and I clearly said I don't want my daughter having juice.  My mom thinks I am way too strict about what DD eats.  She says that DD "should" be drinking juice and that juice has a lot of vitamins.  My mom also said that now is when I have to start offering DD different things because she is developing her taste buds and palate.  Exactly mom, I don't want to offer her sugary drinks because I don't want her to acquire a taste for sweets.

Am I wrong?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Offering juice - question and vent

• Options
    You are right. Also check to make sure the no sugar added doesn't mean they added artificial sweeteners. Mil bought that once and it was sweetened with aspartame, I about flipped.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Options
    No, you aren't wrong. That said, how much is she at your mom's? If she's only their occasionally, I wouldn't worry too much. If your mom is regular child care, then I would probably tell her no. 

We are pretty strict w/ this stuff but I definitely allow it at parties, special occasions, etc. 
    My mom takes care of her everyday while we're at work. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No, you aren't wrong. That said, how much is she at your mom's? If she's only their occasionally, I wouldn't worry too much. If your mom is regular child care, then I would probably tell her no. 

We are pretty strict w/ this stuff but I definitely allow it at parties, special occasions, etc. 
    My mom takes care of her everyday while we're at work. 
    The more I think about it the more pissed off I am at my mom.  I feel like my mom bought it hoping I would say "Well, since you already bought it she can have some but for next time I would prefer she doesn't have it."  I have done that with a few things.  Nope.  When I pick her up today those juiceboxes are coming home with me and DH and I will drink them with our lunch at work.
  • Options
    She's your kid, so you're not wrong.  You sound a little uptight, but not wrong.  Is your mother your DCP?  In that case, it is appropriate to discuss ground rules.  Ask her to dilute the juice with water, or only give it once a week, for example.  I am not crazy about juice, either, but I don't believe in forbidding anything.  My children may have juice at parties or when we go out to eat.  They generally prefer water.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    We're a no juice family too.  Since she's regular childcare, I'd tell her you appreciate the thought, but you do not want to introduce it to her yet.

As to her "concern" about introducing your LO to different flavors and expanding her palate, what's wrong with giving her the real thing in actual fruit form?  Why would you introduce the flavor as a drink anyway?  If she brings that up as a reason to give juice, just tell her you'd rather her have fruit, not juice, to introduce more flavors.
  • Options
    emberlee3 said:
    She's your kid, so you're not wrong.  You sound a little uptight, but not wrong.  Is your mother your DCP?  In that case, it is appropriate to discuss ground rules.  Ask her to dilute the juice with water, or only give it once a week, for example.  I am not crazy about juice, either, but I don't believe in forbidding anything.  My children may have juice at parties or when we go out to eat.  They generally prefer water.

I don't believe in forbidding anything either.  For example, this Saturday we are going to a birthday party and for sure DD will have cake and ice cream and probably juice.  I just don't want it to be readily available at home or at my mom's since she's there everyday.

I am very uptight when it comes to food but I have loosened up a lot.  Still, some people think I'm silly and think I'm still pretty uptight. 

• Options
    emberlee3 said:

I don't believe in forbidding anything either.  For example, this Saturday we are going to a birthday party and for sure DD will have cake and ice cream and probably juice.  I just don't want it to be readily available at home or at my mom's since she's there everyday.

I am very uptight when it comes to food but I have loosened up a lot.  Still, some people think I'm silly and think I'm still pretty uptight. 

Yeah, getting pissed off at your mom over juice boxes is a little extreme.  Keep things in perspective, or get a child care provider that you can micromanage without it damaging a family relationship.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    My 3.5 year old barely gets juice. For her it's a once every other month treat or just at special occasions. This started about a year ago. Before then it was water or milk, no juice. Juice isn't even recommended by the AAP. They say no more than 4oz of juice for children under 5 or 6. We're going to keep it at 0 as long as possible. My mother has issues with this. I just tell her no. I'm very strict with the kids' foods. Juice boxes still aren't happening here. We still do 50/50 juice and water when my daughter does get juice.

I will say that we have done fruit infused water before. They really like that.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Try to remember when our moms were doing this they were told to give juice.  Both my MIL and mom were surprised when I said they shouldn't have it.  I might be a bit annoyed but I definitely wouldn't be pissed.  I'd just ask her to either dilute them or save them so she gets one per week or something.  Not worth getting upset over to me.  
  • Options

Why have a bird about it? Just gently remind her that you don't want LO having juice. At least she asked, is what I'm thinking. Am I right?

I tend to think that people get a little too fixated on the "NO JUICE EVARRRRR HOLY CRAPPPPP TEEEEETHHHHH ROTTTTING" stuff.

Eats childproof locks for breakfast...image

• Options
    You aren't wrong.  I think it's a generational thing.  My MIL said that her doctor told her to give juice to her babies before solid foods to get nutrients.  When we took DD to visit the in-laws, she was constantly asking "Does she want juice?  Does she want juice?".  I think she had her best interest at heart...but juice is not something that kids need.  In fact, studies have shown that today's children get a lot of their extra calories from having sugary drinks.  

You are doing a good job just giving your baby milk and water to drink.  The rest of the vitamins should be coming from food.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
  • Options
    wesleycrusherwesleycrusher member
    edited January 2014

I think maybe I am way too loose. I just don't worry about things like that. I have a 5 year old who I was a little more controlling with, but having another one, there is no way to keep her away from things her sister has. She just turned 2 and has juice, ice cream, cookies, candy. Not a lot, and we water down the juice, but I personally don't see the huge harm in 100% apple juice and snacks. She eats well, she eats balanced, she drinks milk and water too.  I know there are some people here with have this crazy idea that sugar foods and drinks will turn their kids into diabetics.  The only thing we are against is diet drinks, etc and I won't give those.

True there is no nutritional benefit to juice but no harm either.

The fact that she asked you is great- and I honestly don't know why you would be annoyed that she bought the juice. Annoyed because she thought she was doing something good by buying 100%, no sugar added. Wow, that is really not something to be mad about.

If you are really not into it, just tell her, I am really not a fan, and don't want her always asking for it. Do you mind holding off or giving it to her once a week?

Just my two cents. You are going to have a lot bigger battles to fight in life than this one.

Where did that come from? I have never heard anyone on here say that before.

My DD won't drink juice, she only likes milk.
  • Options
  • Options

I think maybe I am way too loose. I just don't worry about things like that. I have a 5 year old who I was a little more controlling with, but having another one, there is no way to keep her away from things her sister has. She just turned 2 and has juice, ice cream, cookies, candy. Not a lot, and we water down the juice, but I personally don't see the huge harm in 100% apple juice and snacks. She eats well, she eats balanced, she drinks milk and water too.  I know there are some people here with have this crazy idea that sugar foods and drinks will turn their kids into diabetics.  The only thing we are against is diet drinks, etc and I won't give those.

True there is no nutritional benefit to juice but no harm either.

The fact that she asked you is great- and I honestly don't know why you would be annoyed that she bought the juice. Annoyed because she thought she was doing something good by buying 100%, no sugar added. Wow, that is really not something to be mad about.

If you are really not into it, just tell her, I am really not a fan, and don't want her always asking for it. Do you mind holding off or giving it to her once a week?

Just my two cents. You are going to have a lot bigger battles to fight in life than this one.

Where did that come from? I have never heard anyone on here say that before.

My DD won't drink juice, she only likes milk.
    Really? Ha. I have to find some posts about sugar being evil. There are quite a few trust me.
  • Options
    Eh. I don't think it has anything to do with sugar being evil. I just think it's about making healthy choices for your kids. I grew up in a family that gave juice and processed foods as a kid. I ended up being a very fat and depressed little kid. I don't want that for my kids. I try very hard to provide them with good healthy foods. I also have food sensitivities to deal with. My son is corn intolerant. Almost nothing in our house has corn in it. Juice is one of those things that isn't needed. I know that they'll get their fair share once they are in school and out of my control. Sugar is fine in moderation, but at this age they don't need any really.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Thanks Ladies for putting things in perspective for me.  The only reason I am a bit peeved at my mom is because she knows that I don't want DD having juice yet she bought it anyway.   I'm sure she has good intentions buying 100% juice but I have specifically told her in the past I don't want DD having any juice.  I do appreciate that she asked me before giving it to DD.   I just don't understand why she even thought it was ok to buy it.  Now I feel like a B because I said no.

At the end of the day, my mom is wonderful with DD.  I would never get another childcare provider over something so silly.  I know this is silly but it's frustrating because when it comes to food it happens quite a bit.  I guess I just have to be patient with my mom and keep reminding her that toddler nutrition has changed quite a bit.

• Options
    Juice isn't something I buy very often so I don't plan on ever giving it to DD at home. If she wants it at a party or church or whatever that's fine, but not at home. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I think it's been broadly expressed by the masses on TB that sugar is the worst thing you can give your kid in the entire world

LOL I just came back from my mom's club where all our kids were playing in a
    baby pool of chocolate pudding... I think DD had more sugar today than the masses would be comfortable with. :) That being said, she has never had juice!!!

I want a kiddie pool filled with chocolate pudding! ... And RumChata

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options

I think it's been broadly expressed by the masses on TB that sugar is the worst thing you can give your kid in the entire world
    LOL I just came back from my mom's club where all our kids were playing in a baby pool of chocolate pudding... I think DD had more sugar today than the masses would be comfortable with. :) That being said, she has never had juice!!!

Those kids lived my dream. Mmmmmm...... PUDDING........
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    she can also water down the juice, instead of giving it to your LO straight.  This way your mom can give her a treat without you having to worry about her having too much sugar.
    This.   You don't have to be so black/white with your kids.  They're gonna end up having juice one time or another.  Pick your battles.  A little juice here or there won't hurt them.   My son gets very little juice every once in a while.  I find that he drinks a lot more liquid when I add a little juice to it, than just straight water.  So, especially in the summer when I want him to drink lots of fluid, I don't mind adding 2oz of juice to a full sippy cup.  Not a big deal. 
    Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I agree with you.
    And my mom would agree with your mom.
    One more reason my mom is not a regular caregiver.
  • Options

Livid about juice- sure, its against how you wish to parent but they don't see it that way and its a way overreaction. My dad who was a huge part of our lives passed away 6 months ago and  I would give money for him to go against my wishes and give my kids juice again. Seriously. get some perspective on life and be happy your parents love your kids and get to enjoy them. Sure, I used to get annoyed if my parents did something when they watched my daughter one day a week and didn't follow things exactly as I wanted. But I didn't say anything. They loved her, took good care of her, and I was grateful for that. 

What happens when the anti-sugar families' kids get older and go to school and pre-school? there are more parties and sugar in my kindergarten than I can even handle. And happened in pre-school too. Yes, for 5 straight days they had cupcakes for yet another birthday party at 10am. What then? can they not have it?

• Options
    We don't give juice nor do we allow anyone else to give her juice either. Our families respect our wishes and it's no biggie. I did get some funny looks at her first birthday party because I made her a special cake that had no sugar and iced it with cream cheese. My MIL wasn't thrilled with that, but she's my kid so MIL respected it. I accept the fact that in the not so far future my daughter will have sugar, juice and pop. I'm okay with that. For right now though I want to prevent what I can and try to give her a preference towards healthier eating so hopefully when she begins to be surrounded by those tasty treats she'll have some moderation and still enjoy the good stuff. Plus you can't prevent your kid from eating ANY sugar, heck yogurt has sugar in it. In fact some yogurt (even the kids brands) has a TON of sugar in it. My motto sorta is, " prevent what you can, and live with what you can't" aka moderation.

**Hopefully this makes sense and it's to crazy grammar and spelling wise. We are currently teething hardcore and thus mommy is running on almost no sleep lol**
  • Options
    punkyshoesterpunkyshoester member
    edited January 2014

We don't give juice nor do we allow anyone else to give her juice either. Our families respect our wishes and it's no biggie. I did get some funny looks at her first birthday party because I made her a special cake that had no sugar and iced it with cream cheese. My MIL wasn't thrilled with that, but she's my kid so MIL respected it. I accept the fact that in the not so far future my daughter will have sugar, juice and pop. I'm okay with that. For right now though I want to prevent what I can and try to give her a preference towards healthier eating so hopefully when she begins to be surrounded by those tasty treats she'll have some moderation and still enjoy the good stuff. Plus you can't prevent your kid from eating ANY sugar, heck yogurt has sugar in it. In fact some yogurt (even the kids brands) has a TON of sugar in it. My motto sorta is, " prevent what you can, and live with what you can't" aka moderation.

**Hopefully this makes sense and it's to crazy grammar and spelling wise. We are currently teething hardcore and thus mommy is running on almost no sleep lol**

My aunt was like this - always heatlhy choices and never ANY junkfood in their house. Ever. And whenever my cousins came over to our house, which was modestly stocked with pretzels, chips, soda...nothing insane...they went effin BANANAS over that shit. We are talking double fistin' Doritos and damn near chugging soda. It was a shame. I would rather teach responsibility with food, rather than never having those options and then expecting my son to "make the right decisions" when he is 6/7/8/9/10 years old.

**ETA: Also, why won't my text go out of the gray when I quote someone. Am I missing something?

Eats childproof locks for breakfast...image

• Options

I agree. We have always been balanced. My 5 year old has always had sugar, etc. but loves everything and understands the need to eat healthy foods that help her grow and be strong, and enjoy treats too. She eats vegetables and fruit, all types of protein, etc etc.

I don't think by not allowing different foods = healthy choices and habits. It is what you teach them about food and what they watch you do.

• Options
    Can I make a suggestion?

I know that grandparents love giving treats and I also understand where you're coming from with the juice thing.  We do minimal juice at our house.

My parents have started keeping some strawberries, blueberries etc at their house that they stick in the blender with some milk for a treat.  It's like a milkshake almost and flavors the milk, but it still has the nutritional value of whole fruit.

My parents have become total health nuts in regards to their own diets, yet keep ice cream, chocolate, chips etc for the grand kids... it drives me nuts!  This is a good compromise because DD loves it... it's a 'treat' to her, but still healthy.

• Options

Barf. Saddest cake ever.
  • Options
    I have a tough time with great grams who watches DS two days a week. Everything is processed, sugary, salty, dyed. I have talked to her repeatedly but it won't change. We eat extremely clean at home so I let it go.

My mom is amazing. DS pulled a bag of candy out of the cupboard at their house (it was my dads stash) and brought it to her. She told him it was yucky machine candy and she would get him real candy. She got blueberries and raspberries from the fridge and proceeded to tell him that this was real candy and look at how prettier the colors are, how they smell ect. Each berry is just a bit different; not like the machine candy.

Hopefully DS will make smart decisions as he grows up. We can only control what we can when we can.
  • Options
    Meery82 said:

Barf. Saddest cake ever.
    No kidding...1st birthday cake is supposed to be a treat and special occasion. It's not like the moment they taste sugar they become sugar addicts who can't go a day without it.  My DD had cake and ice cream at her bday and hasn't had any sugar since (except a graham cracker here and there I guess). Relax a little =)
  • Options
    I wouldn't let DD have a boxed juice but I do give her 3-4 ounces of fresh green juice we make at home. It's usually kale or spinach with a mix of a few different fruits [mango, watermelon, pear, apple, papaya etc] she doesn't get it daily but maybe 1-2 times a week.
  • Options
    Well I guess that nice thing is that we are entitled to our own opinions and allowed to raise our children as we see fit. Love that you judged my cake having NO clue what was in it or how it was made. You simply write everything off that isn't packed with sugar? And I don't have issues with some sugar I just didn't see why she magically required a sugary cake right before nap time simply because she was turning one. So I opted for something else rather than sugar her up and have a melt down. Shame on me for making a personal decision for my child and my family.
    Meery82 said:

Barf. Saddest cake ever.

• Options
    Well I guess that nice thing is that we are entitled to our own opinions and allowed to raise our children as we see fit. Love that you judged my cake having NO clue what was in it or how it was made. You simply write everything off that isn't packed with sugar? And I don't have issues with some sugar I just didn't see why she magically required a sugary cake right before nap time simply because she was turning one. So I opted for something else rather than sugar her up and have a melt down. Shame on me for making a personal decision for my child and my family.
    Meery82 said:

Barf. Saddest cake ever.

LOL. Calm down. I'm not one to stuff my kid with sugar. He rarely gets juice or junk food (and it's usually my mom giving it to him), but I think the cake thing is ridiculous. They don't even eat that much of it anyway. You go ahead and do what you want. There are worse things in the world than your sugar-free cake. Just don't take it so personal. 
  • Options
    Sugar free cake on a birthday sounds so sad. It's a freaking treat. I know I don't load my kids up with sugar and juice, but they gotreal cake on their biryhdays . We made a special cake only cuz my kid has an intolerance to corn. Do what you want with your kids. I know I have a stick up my ass when it comes to what my children eat too, but I would of given that cake a big ole side eye and roll.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"