July 2016 Moms
Options

Teething

It's a little early for most babies, but we will all go through it! I hope this thread makes it easy to share tips and tricks you learn along the way. 

Re: Teething

• Options
    Teething over here too, hasn't cut through yet but I think it's pretty close and he is chewing on anything he gets his hands on! His is on the bottom left, is that where all babies start or can any of them come in at any time? I know nothing about teething, lol.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They get their bottom middle two teeth first I believe. Aubrey had her 4 month check up and the dr said her gums look a little puffy which is a sign of starting to teeth. No bumps or anything yet, but she's got to chew anything she can get in her mouth so I'm just waiting!
  • Options
    My LO just turned 3 months a few days ago and I swear she's teething. But it could be too early?? She's drooling lots and obsessive with chewing her hands. She's more fussy than usual for sure and there's been a few nights I swear she's in some sort of pain. You ladies make me feel like maybe she IS teething. A few days ago her gums looked a bit red and puffy. We will see... 
  • Options
    I'm not sure if E is teething. She has a small red bump but we will see! I did want to say that  it is possible, albeit rare, for babies to get a different tooth first than the bottom front. I got my eye teeth first as a baby and it seems to happen to other people occasionally as well. 
  • Options
    Not sure if it should go on this thread or the feeding one. But can someone that's nursed a kid with teeth walk me through how it goes? And how you don't get bit? I only nursed my oldest for a few months so I have no experience with it. 
  • Options
    My LO is definitely teething.  Oh the drool...I can see her bottom teeth through her gums but strangely enough it looks like her top left canine is going to be what cuts through first.  I wish it would just happen already to give her some relief. 
  • Options
    arhodes6arhodes6 member
    edited October 2016
    Q's bottom right came through first and I can see his bottom left about to come through. I can also see his top right canine, which is kind of weird! My mom told me today that I had 4 teeth by 6mo so I guess it runs in the family! 

I am also wondering about nursing. I'm getting nervous about it, but was told that the bottom teeth aren't the issue, it's the top teeth but I am not sure why. 
  • Options
    Jodi1980Jodi1980 member
    edited October 2016
    arhodes6 said:
    Q cut his first tooth this morning and I can see the other one coming up too. Everyone told me he looked like he was teething because he is super droolly, chews on his hands obsessively and has been cranky for the last few weeks. I was in denial and thought it was all developmental and leap 4, but no. My 3 1/2 mo baby has 2 teeth. 

So far we don't have any tips or tricks, but I will keep you all updated. I did find an awesome teething toy at target though! It's a banana toothbrush and he LOVES it. 

Those bananas look very sassy. 
    LMBO.....they do look sassy don't they :joy:

LO is pretty drooly too and chewing on his hands a bunch. Guess I'll be on the lookout for teefers soon! Stop growing babies!!!! :scream:

edited to add comment
    jodi
    whitehall, pa
    every adventure requires a first step- C.C.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    holly142holly142 member
    edited October 2016
    @winnie1122-the majority of babies get their middle teeth first. However, DD1 got her 2nd tooth out first and then a week later got her middle ones 

Nursing with teeth isn't too bad. DD1 had 2 teeth at 4 months old and 6 teeth at 6 months old, etc. I nursed for 18 months and only once did she bite hard enough to break the skin in that entire time. It hurt. I applied Lanolin constantly and had to pump on that side for a few days until it got better. Whenever she tried chewing on me, I took her off right away. 

Edited because I accidently hit done too soon. 
  • Options
    I noticed Ds had his first tooth at 10 weeks. Now at 13 weeks he has both his upper canines. 

Breast feeding sucked at first (my nipples got shredded)  but he seems to have adjusted his latch to account for them. My main problem is he's too young for most teethers (he doesn't have the dexterity needed to get them into his mouth) and he is too young for teething gel. So he uses his hands and his bib to rub his gums and I rub them with a silicon toothbrush that goes on my finger. 

Little boy due July 31st 2016

• Options
    Some babies are born with teeth -- yikes!

L will be 12 weeks tomorrow and her teeth are coming soon! Drooling, chewing any and everything, cranky, and I can clearly see teeth in there lol I let her bite my finger to see and it did NOT feel like gums anymore!

I think when she gets teeth I'm definitely through BFing. I already have to give her formula as well and BFing is somewhat painful. My nephew bites his mom -- not when he's nursing, just because. I'm not taking any chances with my girl! Lol

Anywho, about the banana. They just chew on it or do you pretend to brush teeth?
    Me: 28
    DH: 29
    Married: 7/4/15
    TTC #1 since marriage
    BFP 11/17/15 -- EDD 7/31/16

• Options
    @KASG the banana is a teether, but the packaging does say that it promotes oral health. I just let him chew on it! The other end is good too, it has little bumps on it that are supposed to help their gums feel better. 
  • Options
    Add us to this camp. E is getting her second incisors on the top, and possibly the bottom middle two. We are getting teething toys today at Target, may have to find that sassy banana ;)
  • Options
    FYI- FDA warns against teething gels. I asked my pedi about it and she agreed not to use them. 

https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm385817.htm
  • Options
    Yes!!! I was given some of those hylands teething pills and apparently they've been linked to some prettt severe side effects!!! I plan to ask the pediatrician about remedies this week at our 4 month appointment. 
  • Options
    I don't know what I would do without this board. I was about to lose it after two days of super fussiness and then read this thread and it totally clicked! She's been drooling and chewing on her hands and the past two days has been obsessed with gnawing on my finger. Sure enough, there's a little upper tooth coming through. Poor baby is miserable  :'(
  • Options
    For those who have already cut/second time moms, how long did the process take? I have my suspicions but it has been weeks now. 
  • Options
    For those who have already cut/second time moms, how long did the process take? I have my suspicions but it has been weeks now. 
  • Options
    @shaylalr I'm not exactly sure how long it took, but I remember people telling me about 3 weeks ago that he looks like he is teething. He started drooling really bad and became obsessed with his hands about 4 weeks ago and the extreme fussiness started about 2 weeks ago. But the fussiness I think was also linked to leap 4 which we are almost done with, so I really don't know what was teething and what was leap 4.  
  • Options
    Jinxed myself of how smoothly LO seemed to be with awake, naps and sleep...now that he's teething , thanks to this board :wink: and all the noticeable signs, the drooling, gnawing on his hands, my hands, I know he will be cutting teeth soon! He gave such a fight for a nap yesterday afternoon after we picked him up from daycare! Finally I threw my hands up, swaddled him in the swing with his paci and he cried a bit to sleep. I feel so helpless sometimes!
    jodi
    whitehall, pa

• Options
    M is not cutting teeth yet, but her big sister always got diaper rash when she was teething. That's something I haven't seen mentioned yet. Worth keeping an eye on. 
  • Options
    I heard no ora gel either but rolled up frozen wash cloths are great for them to chomp on. Teething rings are not always best as some put them in the freezer and they can cut up LO gums and bleed.
    jodi
    whitehall, pa

• Options
    I bought the banana last night!!!  Super excited to try it this evening when I get home from work :smiley:
  • Options
    labecker55358 absolutely more spit up.  I went from having a 1 outfit a day baby to usually a 3 outfit a day baby from the spit ups.  Gross...
  • Options
    yes @labecker55358 . he has the bib on all the time because of this. LO also has a slight URI and coughs so hard sometimes spits/throws up often. I feel so bad that I can't really do anything for him other than having him with the humidifier at night. :disappointed: he's been loving when I rub his gummies in the morning before daycare. :smirk:
    jodi
    whitehall, pa

• Options
    OK glad I'm not crazy! I have burp rags all over the house, and they all get dirty so quick! Little guy was super fussy yesterday so I finally caved and gave him some tylenol. It seemed like it made him feel so much better, and he finally got a good nap in. Our problem is that he's still so young (almost 3 months) and doesn't yet have the coordination to hold a teething ring in his mouth. A frozen rag works a lot better right now.
  • Options
    Those of you encountering teething...are any of you using or researched the Hyland's teething tablets? My cousin had bought me a handful of items she swore by with her youngest. Those tablets were one of them. I seem to be reading conflicting information online about whether or not they're safe!! Their website states they're fine and the issue was corrected back in 2011....but there was a segment on our news station the other day claiming they aren't safe! I'm confused. Part of me just wants to toss them. Is tylenol sufficient enough to help baby with the pain? 
  • Options
    I think it's almost time to invest in a sassy banana. Drooly, fussy, cranky, constantly chewing his hands... this momma is beyond stressed. Of course my husband is leaving tomorrow for a couple of weeks on top of it all.
  • Options
    I have the drooliest baby ever! He's been gnawing at his hands for weeks. I don't see any visible signs of teeth though. He soaks his onesies now! Also fussier than normal. 
  • Options
    Man I feel like we're seeing a lot of these signs!! But her gums don't feel any different. More spit up than normal, drooly and eating hands constantly. I gave her a teething ring a couple times when she was incredibly fussy. She didn't seem to take to it. I guess we will just keep trying!! About how long do these side effects last for before the teeth start coming through?
  • Options
    NyeshaENyeshaE member
    edited October 2016
    Ok I'm so glad I've read all of the comments because my little K has been spitting up more often. He always has his hands in his mouth, biting my finger or using his paci as a self made teether lol. He's been slightly fussy. I'm not sure if I should or shouldn't  use the Tylenol yet. Definitely have a teether here..
    I'm definitely getting that sassy banana!!
  • Options
    TiffRox81 said:
    Man I feel like we're seeing a lot of these signs!! But her gums don't feel any different. More spit up than normal, drooly and eating hands constantly. I gave her a teething ring a couple times when she was incredibly fussy. She didn't seem to take to it. I guess we will just keep trying!! About how long do these side effects last for before the teeth start coming through?
    I read that babies can start getting symptoms months in advance.  The only thing that seems to help my son, Tylenol. I hate giving it to him but I hate seeing him uncomfortable and in pain even more. It's rough.