July 2016 Moms

Teething

13»

Re: Teething

• @babycakesday- I'm sorry. I hope your day is going better now.  When I'm having a rough day I babywear and go for a walk. Even if it's raining it's nice to use an umbrella and get fresh air. I turn on music and dance, call a family member or friend to catch up (on speaker so DD can hear too), schedule a play date or fun place to go to for the next day or week so I have something to look forward to, or take an epsom bath and read a book while DD naps. 
  • Thanks y'all. It's better now that my hubby is home. I escaped to the grocery store for a bit. Of course it has been in mid 70's for awhile except it's cold and raining this whole week so no going outside for a bit. 
  • Loading the player...
  • AshGee18 I use something very similar...i think Boon makes them...works wonders and numbs her gums up for a decent bit
  • @AshGee18 we have those! I use frozen breastmilk. 
  • My daughter loves those things!!
  • How long did it take for the whole tooth to fully emerge for your LOs?? She just has one tiny sharp point sticking out. 
  • @shaylalr I was just thinking that. 
  • @shaylalr I'd say a week or so. It seems like forever but time slows down during teething lol.

• LO has had a tooth bud for the tooth next to her bottom lowers for weeks now. 
  • Anybody with a baby that refuses to eat while teething? My sister in law said E won't eat today. It's been 5 hours since she last ate and she hasn't had solids yet today. I think she may be getting her top two teeth. 
  • @shaylalr Yup- when S cut her bottom two she refused to take her bottle so she got a lot of solids that day.  It was a mess because on top of being fussy from teething pain then she was ticked from being hungry.  Once I got a decent bit of solids in her she calmed down.  I've heard of others having the opposite issue and baby not eating solids, only bottle (which I think is less of an issue at this age since solids are really for fun/learning).

We started hardcore teething on the top two last night...so we're in the same boat
  • Frozen green beans are great teething help for us, P can hold on to it and it softens as it thaws, so I don't worry about it cutting his gums at all. Plus, it thaws pretty quick, so he doesn't freeze his hand off. Helps numb his mouth up a little and often he seems more willing to eat after that if he was being fussy before! He loves them! I just have a big ol bag of the French cut ones in the freezer, always on hand!
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • @shaylalr yes! C normally gets super excited to eat his oatmeal/baby food and the past 2 days he's wanted nothing to do with anything that isn't my boob/a bottle. He also normally loves bath time and is interested in playing with his bath toys and the past 2 nights he's just screamed until I give him a wash cloth to chomp on. I suspect we will have a tooth or 2 before long.
  • Has anyone started brushing their LO's teeth yet? My DH has been on me to get B a real toothbrush and some baby toothpaste for about a week now. We have the sassy banana, which he LOVES, but DH thinks he needs to have his teeth brushed for real. I mostly agree but it seems so early to brush a 7 mo old's two tiny teeth. I did buy him a tiny toothbrush and some Toms's natural training toothpaste yesterday, but I haven't used it on him yet. 
  • I asked my pediatrician and dentist about it!  When the tooth is coming through you just brush with water. When the tooth has completely emerged, I was told to start using real toothpaste with flouride. We don't have flouride in our water here, so that will be her only flouride intake if she swallows any. I'm not sure what you do if you already have flouride in your water though. 
  • @shaylalr we have fluoride in our water and my pedi & dentist both said to brush C's teeth with a baby toothpaste that is fluoride free. I have the baby toothbrush and toothpaste ready to go but we are still toothless over here.
  • We are starting to teeth in earnest now.  Nothing has popped through, but oh the fussiness. Even Tylenol doesn't help 100%. All he wants to do is nurse. He will still eat food, but he wants to nurse all night long. And he's been waking up 3-4x a night for the past 2 days instead of just once. I feel so bad for him. He seems to like cold cucumber slices as teethers though. 
  • I brush Q's teeth but I could be better about it. I need to make it part of our nightly and morning routine! We use fluoride free baby tooth paste 
  • My DS has the bottom 2 teeth - I started brushing (with water) using a fingertip toothbrush to get him used to the feeling of brushing. I did the same with my now 7 year old and she was always pretty good about cooperating when it came time to brush. I would like to think it's because we started early!