July 2016 Moms
Options

Snarky Comebacks to People's Rude Questions

I've decided this pregnancy that I'm not going to take anyone's negativity or rude comments politely like I didn't with my first pregnancy. What are some replies you'll be making (or wish you could say) to other people's rude questions or comments?

Re: Snarky Comebacks to People's Rude Questions

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Those people that think you'll never do another thing with your life because you're having a baby! I constantly have some work colleagues tell me I should have went to college. "Oh I'm sorry, didn't I tell you I'm already qualified. I never realized I'd never do another thing with my life because I've become pregnant" The urge is so strong to tell them to shut the f*ck up! Another one I've heard is that just because I'm pregnant doesn't mean I'm an invalid, sorry what? Just because I don't want to work on my first day off in a week doesn't give you the right to say shit like that! Idiots! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DS#1 July 2016
    Baby #2 July 2018
  • Options
    thebigoaktreethebigoaktree member
    edited February 2016
    Can I also add these pictures, even though it's not a comment. Some girl I know posted this on her Instagram knowing full well I'm pregnant. It wasn't so much the picture I think it was more the comment that she made underneath that pissed me off.

Me: 30, DH: 31

Married: May 16th 2015

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @mandyjulie since we found out that we're having our second girl, I'm starting to anticipate those comments, but I think the fact that we'll have 2 under 2 will deter those for awhile. 
  • Options
    Just got a great comment on a FB post about my pedicure/massage chair experience I just had. "Be careful with those massage chairs during pregnancy!" Wtf. Am I missing something?! I'm tempted to write something snarky back but I guess I better do my homework. I found one article that says there's nothing wrong with them. It's not like I was sitting there for an hour!! We're talking maybe 10 minutes...
  • Options
    TiffRox81 said:
    Just got a great comment on a FB post about my pedicure/massage chair experience I just had. "Be careful with those massage chairs during pregnancy!" Wtf. Am I missing something?! I'm tempted to write something snarky back but I guess I better do my homework. I found one article that says there's nothing wrong with them. It's not like I was sitting there for an hour!! We're talking maybe 10 minutes...
    I dye my hair, the looks of shock from older women I work with. They do make all natural hair dye. 

Me: 30, DH: 31

Married: May 16th 2015

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    One of my coworkers told me the other day "it will probably be hard to tell if your pregnant so I'm glad we know now so I don't have to try to guess if your pregnant or just gaining weight." Umm excuse me! Who says that!! I just walked away from her before I said something rude! Yes, I'm not the skinniest person but neither is she so she shouldn't be talking! Ughh some people! 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    @TattoosandLaceif it's not one thing it's another, isn't it? Funny you will get 2 under 2 comments. Mine will be 3.5 years apart and I know some think that's too far apart for them to be "close." Whatever.
    DD1: Born January 2013
    DD2: Due July 12, 2016
    Two rescue dogs 

BabyFruit Ticker

July 2016 - July Siggy: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • Options
    People are ridiculous. It never ceases to amaze me how little tact some people have. @abpl2014 Wow. That would have taken everything out of me to keep quiet!! I think with the FB crap I'm just going to choose to ignore them. Hopefully that sends a STFU message.
  • Options
    1.  "Was it on purpose?"  
    2.  "Don't you want to enjoy wedded bliss?" (we get married in march)
    3.  "You don't want to find out the sex?  But I want to know!"
    4.  "I thought you were looking pudgy."

I'm sure the advice/questions are just going to get worse through the rest of the pregnancy, and raising them.  And I really wish I was better at comebacks.  
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think the worst was my SIL telling me my MIL thought I had gained weight before we had announced. Because of morning sickness I had actually lost weight. But you can't tell because I'm overweight to begin with. Still rude though.
  • Options
    MamaBishMamaBish member
    edited February 2016
    1.  "Was it on purpose?"  
    2.  "Don't you want to enjoy wedded bliss?" (we get married in march)
    3.  "You don't want to find out the sex?  But I want to know!"
    4.  "I thought you were looking pudgy."

I'm sure the advice/questions are just going to get worse through the rest of the pregnancy, and raising them.  And I really wish I was better at comebacks.  
    1. The 5 year old in me wants to response "was your face on purpose?" But I don't advise that one.  
    2. We're very happy with our family and looking forward to it growing. 
    3. Damn, I'm sorry. I forgot where you were there for the conception so you get a say in finding out the sex. 
    4. Well, you aren't looking slim yourself. 
    I'm cracking up at #1 lol
    it makes me wish someone would ask us this just so I can say this!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• Options
    @TattoosandLace I lol'd at #1.  I may actually try it just to see the reaction.  you rock, thank you :)
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @TattoosandLace I lol'd at #1.  I may actually try it just to see the reaction.  you rock, thank you :)
    Anything for you, boo. 
  • Options
    Omg, she didn't stop. After our mutual friend (recently had a baby and broke about every given rule) came to the rescue and said she had pedicures and massages frequently, don't worry...I responded with how awesome it was and I plan to continue. Crazy chick then replied to my comment about how I need to do my homework before getting a massage. If I don't choose a proper therapist I can go into early labor. Chick, seriously. Shut up. I'm not going to some random hole in the wall asking for the $10 special. I'm pretty sure I know how to choose reputable masseuse. Geez!!! That one I can't respond to. She must have annoyed my friend too because she immediately texted me on the side. 
  • Options
    I haven't had anything too bad recently, but I don't think I'll ever forget my SIL's bitchy comment when she found out we were pregnant...

"I knew it! When you weren't drinking wine on Christmas, I figured you were pregnant. You constantly have a glass of wine glued to your hand!"

No congrats. No "I'm so happy for you". Just that.
  • Options
    @mandyjulie since we found out that we're having our second girl, I'm starting to anticipate those comments, but I think the fact that we'll have 2 under 2 will deter those for awhile. 
    Not sure if I'm having a boy or girl yet, but this is what I'm dreading if it's another boy. It's annoying enough when people ask what I "want". After I said to one coworker that it didn't matter to me, she's like "what about your husband?"  Why does this matter? Like I'm supposed to choose one so that you can be disappointed for me if its the other? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Oh and to those that have gotten the, "Wow, you're big for X weeks!" I find it equally as offensive when you're told the opposite. Anything having to do with size is annoying. Up until a week or two ago I was constantly getting the, You don't look pregnant! line. I'm sorry is there a specific look I should have?! Would you like to take some measurements and tell me where I fall? Are you accusing me of lying?? Ugh....at least we have this thread to vent on! Hopefully it keeps me from losing my mind in person!! Lol
  • Options
    One lady at work told me that she was glad I am pregnant because I was sure getting big. I've gained four lbs and my tummy pokes out a bit, but sure whatever. I'm sure if I had commented back (she's incredibly obese) that she would have called HR on me. It's always those types of people. 

So so far I'm hoping I can hold my ground when strangers start to notice and say things.
  • Options
    I find the best response for people that say "oh they'll be so close in age/you didn't wait between kids" is to respond "yes, our daughter is so perfect we couldn't wait for another one! It's so much fun!" This works really, really, really well when it's other moms making comments because they either have to admit they don't like their kids or shut up. 
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• Options
    ^^^WTF?!
  • Options
    DobbysSockDobbysSock member
    edited February 2016
    My current favorite is when people say "they'll be so close in age! Were you trying?" to reply with "well, aren't you a rude one. Let's talk about your sex life?"
    @TattoosandLaceSo God damn rude. That's a perfect response! One of DH's friends asked him if we were going to "keep it" when he told him about my pregnancy with DD. We were in our mid 20's and had been married for 8 months after dating for 3 years, both had stable jobs. No reason to assume it was unplanned or unwanted. DH responded with "Our child was planned, and yes we are going to have the baby." I'm not a fan of this person, for obvious reasons. DH hasn't seen much of him since then.
  • Options
    @DobbysSock That's about the worst I've heard! I don't know if we would keep talking to that person either.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker