June 2015 Moms
Options

Purple Line Theory of cervical dilation??

Has anyone used this method at home, and then had a concurring diagnosis by a medical professional when they went in?

I read about this method for the first time today (I kid you not, you watch for a purple line creeping up your buttcrack and it corresponds to how far along you are in terms of cervical dilation).
Whaaaaa???? This should fuel the fires of curiosity for a few more hours.

Re: Purple Line Theory of cervical dilation??

• Options
    Yeah, I must say it was interesting figuring out how to do this While SO pregnant. DH laughed his face off.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I may need his help. He's off watching the fight tonight. I'll surprise him with the request to check my crack lol
  • Options
    Ok, two things: Don't you guys have full length mirrors? IDK - wasn't hard for me to see. But I didn't see anything. And also I wasn't checked by my OB at my last appointment, so I've added no value to this debate.

Second thing: What would the mechanism be? Like how would that possibly even work? I didn't put any time into looking into it. Just saying I don't see how that could be a thing.

Oh, third thing: I also don't see it being useful. We all know by now how much you're dilated isn't really that important. By the time you're 7, I think you know (at least I haven't heard of anyone being that far without being in active labor). So even if it is real, I still don't see the utility. Maybe I'm just sour grapes over here because I didn't see anything!
  • Options
    Researchers believe that the purple line is a result of vasocongestion in the sacrum. As the baby descends into the birth canal, he puts more pressure on the pelvis and the sacral veins, causing swelling to occur which results in the appearance of a purple line.

Read more: https://www.justmommies.com/pregnancy/labor-and-childbirth/the-bottom-line-alternative-method-for-checking-cervical-dilation#ixzz3cLbzdSdm.
  • Options
    P.s. I used a mirror and a cell phone camera earlier tonight, and then used a picture collaging ap. My guess was a 3or 4. I have the line. The issue was that my "pose" wasn't an exact match for the pose in the chart (you can't see the actual crack in their chart drawing) so I had to do some guesswork.
  • Options
    Doesn't @britneythebridexo know she's dilated to a 5? She could test this theory....... Lol
  • Options

P.s. I used a mirror and a cell phone camera earlier tonight, and then used a picture collaging ap. My guess was a 3or 4. I have the line. The issue was that my "pose" wasn't an exact match for the pose in the chart (you can't see the actual crack in their chart drawing) so I had to do some guesswork.

That's hilarious, you took pictures! Really don't mean that meanly, I think that's awesome. I took pictures of this weird spot on the top of DH's head so he could see it the other week. I didn't delete them. Then, they started showing up in my photo live tile and it grossed me out for a day or two until I got around to deleting!
  • Options
    How could I not give this a try?
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • Options
    I love this.
  • Options
    I'm really hoping someone who has been checked by a Dr or MW will do this test and see if there is any correlation!
    But I am also curious if people guess where they are, and compare with... what their buttcrack thinks, lol
  • Options
    The line reminds me of the thing on the back of Pampers diapers I have heard about. A line that shows up when wet.
  • Options

The line reminds me of the thing on the back of Pampers diapers I have heard about. A line that shows up when wet.

HAHAHA YES!
  • Options
    Bumping this for the morning crew. SOMEONE WILL BE ABLE TO TEST THIS TODAY!
  • Options
    Damn it!  I just demand my husband look at my asscrack.  He declined.  Very cranky but this is going to make an excellent topic for our Warrior's party tonight.  My friends love this kind of stuff!
  • Options
    Omg I have it!!! A long thin very purple line!!!
  • Options
    ihartbb said:

Except I'm not sure how correct this can be. Mine goes to the almost top of my bum. Where my back ends and butt starts. And I know I'm not 10cm haha

Ok well it could be that your natural pigment in the "cavern" back there is purple-ish and your line will be darker still, OR your baby is about to come tumbling out. Oh I hope it's the latter and your water breaks!!!
  • Options
    Also, a 10cm is indicated to go above slightly above the "crack top" I think, so maybe there's more to come?
  • Options
    I have checked. I have a smidge more line this morning at 11:30am vs last night at 10pm. But I definitely don't have ANY purple in the 7cm+ areas. To be continued...
  • Options
    So maybe that means im closer to like a 7 and maybe my water will break!!! Cmon water :))
  • Options
    Ummm DH just told me that line is always there??? Now my bubble has been busted! :((
  • Options
    ihartbb said:

Ummm DH just told me that line is always there??? Now my bubble has been busted! :((

Like I said, there is always somewhat of a "seam." But look for variation in the pigment of that seam. Mine has color throughout, but I'm watching for... kinda like the mercury in the thermometer hahahaha.

• Options
    This is the weirdest thing ever. But, I had to check! There is definitely a line and it's really purple and really long. I haven't been checked by my doctor yet, but if this theory is true, I think I would be in labor.

I'm just glad I didn't get caught doing this!
  • Options
    DH & I took a shower together today & I was telling him about this thread today & I checked. He was weirded out & there was a line!! I started yelling, "look, there is one!!" Hahaha. Glad he loves me.
    I was 1 cm Thursday & will update on Thursday if I am more & this held true.
  • Options
    I'm 37w+2 and mine is like 2 inches above my crack sooo I call BS unless I'm about to go into labor right now
  • Options

I'm 37w+2 and mine is like 2 inches above my crack sooo I call BS unless I'm about to go into labor right now

I hope you are!
  • Options
    I'm getting a Brazilian wax later today. Last one before labor woo! (Hopefully).
    I will do an updated check after.
  • Options
    My Doula did this when she came over to the house