December 2014 Moms
Options

Facebook Group

Before you pop your popcorn, let me remind you that I'm not a newb. I've been on TB for a couple years now and on D14 since the beginning. I post a moderate amount, so I swear I'm not a crazy that plans on taking your baby. ;)  I don't think it's been brought up in a while (that I've noticed and yes I did a search), so what are our thoughts on the facebook group?

I know some of you have no intentions of ever joining a group and that's A-Okay with me, no pressure. For those of you that did want to join one at some point, how are we feeling about one now? I know for me personally, it's so much easier to keep in touch through fb since I'm usually on my phone and mobile bumping sucks balls.

I'd be happy to create one if there was enough interest and y'all were okay with me taking the lead. If there is someone else that everyone is more comfortable with being admin, I'm good with that as well. There could even be a couple admins?

**If it's decided that now might be a good time, I think there should be some sort of rules established as to who should join. Thoughts?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 5/12/12; EDD 1/20/13; Eliana Grace born 1/25/13

BFP #2 12/11/13; EDD 8/23/14; M/C 6 weeks

BFP #3 4/3/14; EDD 12/13/14

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Facebook Group

• Options
    brittandjpbrittandjp member
    edited September 2014

I agree @NikkiMN143 on your ideas. I too think *most* of the crazies have been weeded out. Some of the things I was thinking...

- You need to have an established membership here -- how long you've been here and post frequency. We'd need to decide on the amounts for both.

- The group would definitely be private and by invitation only.

- We may want to create some sort of guidelines/group etiquette that must be followed if joining the group (we learned this the hard way on my first bmb).

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    We definitely would need a required post amount or something proving that whoever is requesting to join is an active non-crazy member of the board. Also, the link should not be public, there should be 3 people in charge of adding new members and any request should be agreed upon by 2/3 of those page admins. I'm working on locking down my profile even more than I had before, I'd probably be willing at this point.

Married 07.12.14
    Hannah 12.09.14
    Baby #2 Due 06.18.16
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd be up for it also and completely agree with having guidelines, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker}

Lots of love TBBFF lobosabby!! Always rooting for the TTGP girls

My Chart

• Options
    JaymeeLH said:
    We definitely would need a required post amount or something proving that whoever is requesting to join is an active non-crazy member of the board. Also, the link should not be public, there should be 3 people in charge of adding new members and any request should be agreed upon by 2/3 of those page admins. I'm working on locking down my profile even more than I had before, I'd probably be willing at this point.
    3 is a good amount admin wise in the event of a disagreement by other board members. It leaves room for a tiebreaker. My profile is on lockdown as well. The link definitely would not be posted since it would be by invitation only, as in an admin would personally invite each member.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm not sure how I feel about it. That would involve giving my real name to internet strangers... And to be honest, I just don't think I'm that trusting. I like the relative anonymity offered by this forum. I feel like I'm already fairly guarded about what I post here, once you put things in writing they can get out and hurt you later. If I were posting under my real name and face I'd need to be even more careful. I know it's not the same as posting naked pictures online or anything, but I don't ever want students I teach to hear about my uterus or cervical mucous or anything... That's just information they (and most others) don't need to have about me.
    And that's totally fine @gradschoolmom1234. While I'm bummed because I wish you would join, at no point is anyone obligated. Joining the group, regardless of how private your profile is or isn't will allow people to see your real name and possibly a profile picture. You'd have to be willing to take that risk and I understand that not everyone is willing to do so.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Also, something to consider would be at what amount (if any?) do we cap the group at? The nice thing about a fb group is that it allows you to get closer to people on a personal level and that isn't easy with a group of 200.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I would be interested in it. I find mobile bump to be slightly annoying LOL. 3 seems like a good number for admins. Great for tiebreakers but also to assist in getting it going.
  • Options
    nesenotesnesenotes member
    edited September 2014
    I'd be up for it at this point. There will still be another influx of newbs once the babies are born. The fb group I'm in now was started months after all the kids were born and everyone was bored out of their minds on Mat Leave. Love our group of women though we've all gotten pretty close!

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • Options
    nesenotes said:
    I'd be up for it at this point. There will still be another influx of newbs once the babies are born. The fb group I'm in now was started months after all the kids were born and everyone was bored out of their minds on Mat Leave. Love our group of women though!
    Yeah, that happened on my first bmb as well. There were several waves of new people let in, but then we eventually closed the group. I'm pretty sure there were groups created afterwards as a result, which again, is totally fine. I love my first bmb and don't what I would have done without those ladies, especially that first year. I'd like to establish another tight knit group, but that would likely be challenging if we forever let in new members.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I'd be willing to join. I like the idea of setting guidelines for who can or can't join based on actual Bump participation.

Baby girl due 12-13-14!

D14 October siggy challenge
                        DD two years ago, my adorable little pirate

• Options
    MrsBriss said:
    Also, something to consider would be at what amount (if any?) do we cap the group at? The nice thing about a fb group is that it allows you to get closer to people on a personal level and that isn't easy with a group of 200.
    I have to say that I would feel much more comfortable on a fb group where you know people better rather than having 200 plus people who may be strange lurkers. Just seems more warm and fuzzy I guess. And since I'm rather new to fb groups, is it something where it would post on my friends feeds? I would hope that it's more private than that?
    It would (I hope anyway) be a private group which means your membership and everything you post within the group is hidden from your timeline/none of your friends will see that you joined or when you post

Married 07.12.14
    Hannah 12.09.14
    Baby #2 Due 06.18.16

• Options
    brittandjpbrittandjp member
    edited September 2014
    MrsBriss said:
    I have to say that I would feel much more comfortable on a fb group where you know people better rather than having 200 plus people who may be strange lurkers. Just seems more warm and fuzzy I guess. And since I'm rather new to fb groups, is it something where it would post on my friends feeds? I would hope that it's more private than that?

Since it's a private group, none of your friends would be able to see anything you post there. To be honest, we've talked about some seriously personal things that we would have never discussed on TB. The only people that can see it are those in the group. :)

ETA: Though that doesn't mean we'd necessarily talk about those things. My point was just that we talk about a wide variety of things and no one is able to see it. :)

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    MrsBriss said:

I have to say that I would feel much more comfortable on a fb group where you know people better rather than having 200 plus people who may be strange lurkers. Just seems more warm and fuzzy I guess.

And since I'm rather new to fb groups, is it something where it would post on my friends feeds? I would hope that it's more private than that?
    Should be secret so no one will ever see what you post on the outside.

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • Options
    I would be willing to join. I've been on this board since I got my BFP on 3/31 (or maybe I joined the next day--either way). I've posted and commented...but am almost daily on D14 to read up on what everyone is going through as well as to read other peoples posts to get my questions answered.

DH and I: Dating: 08/2008, Engaged: 02/2012, and Married: 03/13!
    Adopted our Pup: 08/2011

DD born on 12/03/2014, Emma!
    (TTC #1 (and only!): 12/25/13, BFP: 03/31/14, EDD: 12/05/14, Gender, girl: 07/16/14)

imageimage

• Options
    I would join but probably not friend everyone.....sorry! I keep my "friends" to people I know in real life normally. Though I will say that I used Babyfit YEARS ago and still keep in touch with those ladies on FB. So far, after 9 years, no one has hunted me down or turned out to be weird, ha!!

I do like the idea of posting in a group though, just so much easier than bump mobile since this thing never refreshes.

And I guess y'all will have to let me know if I'm even invited. I reply often enough but don't start many of the threads.
  • Options
    Yeh I keep my actual friends list pretty locked down, so unless I got especially close to some people my full profile will remain on complete lockdown

Married 07.12.14
    Hannah 12.09.14
    Baby #2 Due 06.18.16

• Options

I am going to sit this round out. You ladies are great but not quite ready for making anything "facebook official"

^^^Ditto.

I do appreciate the idea and I like how you approached all if us in a very NON-Creepy way. But I'm going to pass.

I like my Bump life and FB life seperate.

imageimageimageimage
    November Siggy Challenge: How I feel in the Third Trimester 
            image   image   image
    BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I like being able to vent about my husband and now my job again, I prefer my family or his not read about how often we have sex or if my boss reads she is a completely uneducated idiot. Once it is on Facebook attached to your name, it can be there forever.
    D14 - Free For All
    In loving memory of Baby HP42 and all D14 Angel Babies

• Options
    Yeah, you definitely wouldn't ever need to add anyone as a friend. Over time, you'll find that you may decide to add people that you get particularly close to. That of course wouldn't be a requirement to be in the group though. :)

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    edited September 2014
  • Options
    So the group would not be able to stalk your fb page?
    Correct
    Well... It would obviously depend on your privacy settings. Anything that's public will be visible to the group.
    This exactly. Whatever your public security settings are, will apply to anyone in the group who you have not added as a friend

Married 07.12.14
    Hannah 12.09.14
    Baby #2 Due 06.18.16

• Options
    Slaps said:
    So the group would not be able to stalk your fb page? And pictures and such?
    @Slaps, as long as you have your profile on lockdown, no one would see anything. I think on mine my profile pictures and cover photo are viewable to the public, but that's it. You can't see any other albums, posts I've made, info about me, etc. You can of course edit your privacy settings to how loose or tight as you'd like. :)

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
  • Options
    I would be in, and would help out if you need. I am not a very private person, but my fb is pretty locked down, and I know no one can see what I say in there.
  • Options
    I'm willing to admin, and I'm still searching out that list of requirements, but I know it included post count/love tits/general recognition by the admins

Married 07.12.14
    Hannah 12.09.14
    Baby #2 Due 06.18.16

• Options
  • Options
    I would be interested, I think.
  • Options
    I would be interested since I've been involved with this group from the beginning. However, I can only mobile bump and don't post a ton, so I'm not sure if anyone actually recognizes me :(
  • Options
    I'd be happy to work with a couple others to create the group within the next day or so, but before we'd actually invite anyone we'd need to establish the requirements to be invited. We'd decide that here.

If we can also get some ideas on rules of etiquette, if you will, here then as admins we can draft that piece before inviting anyone to the group.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I think I would be interested as well, now that I understand the whole "closed group thing". My page isn't public anyways.
  • Options
    kayak11 said:

I would be interested since I've been involved with this group from the beginning. However, I can only mobile bump and don't post a ton, so I'm not sure if anyone actually recognizes me :(

That's the same with me! I only get to use the bump on mobile and try not to post a ton since typically my questions/concerns/thoughts are usually already posts.

DH and I: Dating: 08/2008, Engaged: 02/2012, and Married: 03/13!
    Adopted our Pup: 08/2011

DD born on 12/03/2014, Emma!
    (TTC #1 (and only!): 12/25/13, BFP: 03/31/14, EDD: 12/05/14, Gender, girl: 07/16/14)

imageimage

• Options
    Personally, I think a simple FB group post with a poll, and "this person wants to join, anyone have an issue with it?" which would be deleted before they join, would work. Would be tedious for a bit, but after awhile would be easier.
    That, or the 3 admins would be responsible for "vetting" people who want to join. That's what we do with the groups I own/admin on.
  • Options
    @brittandjp since it was your idea, how should we go about choosing group admins? also 3 isn't the magic number, but it definitely needs to be an odd number so that there'll be tie breakers in the event not everyone agrees on something

Married 07.12.14
    Hannah 12.09.14
    Baby #2 Due 06.18.16

• Options
    Eh. I'm in.
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    I'm not sure how I feel about it. That would involve giving my real name to internet strangers... And to be honest, I just don't think I'm that trusting. I like the relative anonymity offered by this forum. I feel like I'm already fairly guarded about what I post here, once you put things in writing they can get out and hurt you later. If I were posting under my real name and face I'd need to be even more careful. I know it's not the same as posting naked pictures online or anything, but I don't ever want students I teach to hear about my uterus or cervical mucous or anything... That's just information they (and most others) don't need to have about me.

this is where I'm at as well.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Options
    Personally, I think a simple FB group post with a poll, and "this person wants to join, anyone have an issue with it?" which would be deleted before they join, would work. Would be tedious for a bit, but after awhile would be easier. That, or the 3 admins would be responsible for "vetting" people who want to join. That's what we do with the groups I own/admin on.

In my experience, this has led to cattiness, so I don't think it's a good idea.

If we determine an entrance requirement (ex: member for at least x amount of months with x amount of posts per month), a voting process wouldn't be necessary. There could be one person that isn't a fan of bumpie that would vote against them and that doesn't really sound fair to me.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm probably about ready for that!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"