March 2023 Moms

Product Spotlight: Postpartum Mom Essentials

miss_lynn9miss_lynn9 member
edited December 2022 in March 2023 Moms
This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... postpartum mom essentials! All about mama, this is what you think is necessary in the few days/weeks/months after birth for mom.

For S+TMs: 

Lifestyle factors that might influence your choice (climate, vaginal/c-section/etc:
Favorite [PP mom essential]:
Link/picture:
What you like about it:
What you don't like about it, if anything:
Is there a [PP mom essential] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
Is there a [PP mom essential] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
Additional thoughts on [PP mom essential]?:

For FTMs

[PP mom essential] you're interested in:
Link/picture:
Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

Next up: Travel Accessories 

Re: Product Spotlight: Postpartum Mom Essentials

• I had a vaginal birth with tearing on my labia. Some of the things that I found useful were:

- A good perineum spray. I LOVE the one from The October Union. She has a PP essentials kit but you can request the products individually. https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/476208733/mama-baby-postpartum-care-kit-organic?click_key=a0e384c25fb8143b28e67ce856d0ccd5a3cae1f2:476208733&click_sum=67574111&ref=shop_home_active_18
    - Padcicles! You can buy them premade from fridababy I believe. I just made me own using pads, natural aloe Vera gel, witch hazel, and essential oils. 
    - my favorite pads are the always infinity foamflex pads. They're thin and work super well. 
    - Bidet. I got one because I knew I would be cloth diapering and it was so much more convenient than the peri bottle. If you prefer Peri bottle, I got the fridababy one and my MW gave me one but I prefer the fridababy because it has a curved spout and was easier to use. 
    - mesh underwear
    - pain reliever
    - protein powder and bars 

Things I bought but didn't use 
    - my sister gave me a donut to sit on. I never used it. 
    - sitz bath. I was really determined to do this before giving birth but it was just too much to add on to the list of things to do after. 

One other tip that's not really a mom PP thing but to pre-make frozen meals is a life saver! 
  • I agree with padsicles and making your own, although I don't remember doing that -- maybe my sister did it! Love her!

Also, I got these breast pads for leakages that are reusable and silicon. They stay in place and don't get gross. The ones that are cloth always slip around and you can see them through your clothes.

https://www.amazon.com/LilyPadz®-Reusable-Silicone-Nursing-Regular/dp/B000YOUIN6
  • Loading the player...
  • heytallmamaheytallmama member
    edited December 2022
    Lifestyle factors that might influence your choice (climate, vaginal/c-section/etc): c-section, mid-Atlantic weather - so late winter this go around. 

Favorite [PP mom essential]: robes! 
    ETA: after my C-section they put a big Velcro wrap around my abdomen. I’m sure there’s a name for it, but I’m hoping they do it again. 

What you like about it: Easy to feel a tad more pulled together, layer over nursing camis/bras and leggings. 

The abdomen wrap thing was hot and sometimes itchy but I wore it for at least the first week PP. I felt it helped counter swelling and put counter pressure in my c section scar. I’m sure there are other reasons for it but I just remembered it and how helpful I thought it was (inspire of the discomfort at times).

Is there a [PP mom essential] you don't have but are considering? Why?: Just a mental note here that I need to buy stool softener. Y’all that first PP shit is PAINFUL. I remember crying in the bathroom and being so grateful I’d had a C-section and thinking I’d never have been able to deliver vaginally because OUCH. Ladies, take your stool softener. 

Is there a [PP mom essential] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: nursing pads always slipped and moved. Great in theory but I never quite got the right hang of them.
  • I made padsicles both times (witch hazel and aloe gel on a thick always pad) and froze them a week or two ahead of time. I used them with my first because I tore but never used them the second time (no tears). This time around I think I’ll just rely on what the hospital gives me and have my H run to the store if I need more stuff so I don’t waste time and money. I’ll buy a bag of pads and panty liners so I’m stocked up there. I tend to bleed a good 2-3 weeks. 

I personally think the Frida mom stuff is an overpriced gimmick BUT I have never used the stuff and I know some people rave about it, so I’m probably not the best source of info on that. 

I liked the cotton/fabric bra pads for leaks and hated the disposables. It felt like wearing maxi pads on your boobs. I have some on my registry to buy before baby comes. 

Other than that, I’m going to buy myself a couple comfy outfits and a new thin robe. 
  • Vaginal deliveries and I've always kept it simple. Huge overnight maxi pads for the first week, regular pads after that, and then panty liners for the spotting. Peri bottle is amazing! Stool softner and Ibuprofen. Maybe unpopular opinion but I hated the padsicles. So gross, gooey and messy.

Also for those that are on their 2-3+ be prepared for the after pains. I barely felt anything with #1. #2 I was just crampy. #3+ they got so bad I had chills and was nauseous. Seriously worse than labor. I try not to take OTC meds but it's one time I don't hesitate at all 😂

I definitely agree on the reusable cotton nursing pads. So much more comfortable than the disposable ones. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @nopegoat what Padcicles did you use? I didn't find the ones I made messy or gooey lol.
  • nopegoatnopegoat member
    edited December 2022
    @miss_lynn9 I made the homemade ones with witch hazel, lavender, and aloe with #3. It just felt gross.

ETA- I'd rather sit on a frozen bag of peas if I really felt I needed it. 😂
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Thanks all very useful 
  • @nopegoat I’m terrified of the breastfeeding cramps. They were pretty intense with #2 😳
  • @Wishilivedinflorida definitely accept ibuprofen ASAP and make sure you take it regularly for the first few few days to stay ahead of the pain. 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @nopegoat Part of my terror is I’m allergic to nsaids…I can only take Tylenol. It helps but is not the same. Between that and the uterine massage they do on EVERY patient (when I was trained in nursing we only did it as needed), I wanted to die last time. God help me. 
  • @Wishilivedinflorida oooh that massage is the wooorst. There are tinctures you can take that can help. There's AfterEase from Wishgarden that helped a little. I believe you can take it with Tylenol. Maybe both together will be sufficient! 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @nopegoat If it were physically possible to birth my uterus out of me after the baby, I would. Don’t need it anymore, take it! 🤣 I’ve always wanted to do a study/survey to see if women who have bad menstrual cramps (I do) have it worse after birth than those who don’t. 
  • I loved the padsicles both times. I tore pretty badly the second time. I don’t remember the padsicles being gooey either, maybe too much aloe? 

Also I couldn’t use the reusable cloth pads early on. I soaked thru them so quickly. I hated the disposable ones too. I’m looking into the Haakaa (?) things that catch the extra milk. Or the lily pads. 

And good call on the stool softener! The after poo is straight terrifying. 😂

I mostly just used what the hospital gave me last time. It’s a small town vibe there and we knew most of the L&D and postpartum nurses so they hooked us up. 
  • @TortugaAzul I had the haakaa and I recommend it. Someone mentioned they have a small version of it and I wish I got that one. It is a little awkward. 
  • @TortugaAzul I had the haakaa and I recommend it. Someone mentioned they have a small version of it and I wish I got that one. It is a little awkward. 
    Yes, they make the “ladybug” now. I got the Milkies milk saver because it was on sale. It seems like my bra will hold it in place instead of hoping the suction keeps the Haakaa on securely. It always fell off of me no matter how tightly I thought I got the suction. A lot of breastfeeding forums I’ve been stalking make it seem like the haakaa is better as a manual pump than plain collector. 
  • @Wishilivedinflorida @miss_lynn9 I wasn’t that big of a fan of my haakaa for how much moms raves about it. It never stayed on very well for me.
  • I've had both a c-section and VBACs so I try to plan for both. For c-section, I get high-waisted undies and sweat pants that can ride higher on my waist. You don't want anything tight against that cut. 
    My first VBAC I needed perinatal spray because of tearing, but for my 2nd I had no tears and no pain. Just lots and lots of pads because I bleed for about 6 weeks. My bleeding is never heavier than a normal period for me, so I just stock up on my normal Always pads.
    The reusable nursing pads don't work for me, but I use the Parent's Choice disposable ones, and Lanolin for my poor nipples. The Haakaa is great for collecting milk as well. 
    Something new I got this time are the heat and cooling packs for your breasts! I get so engorged for about a week and a half, so I'm hoping this will cut back on that pain.
    Other than that, I just like my water bottle and remote close at hand, and I chill on the couch for several weeks!