This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... postpartum mom essentials! All about mama, this is what you think is necessary in the few days/weeks/months after birth for mom.
Lifestyle factors that might influence your choice (climate, vaginal/c-section/etc:
Favorite [PP mom essential]:
What you like about it:
What you don't like about it, if anything:
Is there a [PP mom essential] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
Is there a [PP mom essential] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?:
Re: Product Spotlight: Postpartum Mom Essentials
- A good perineum spray. I LOVE the one from The October Union. She has a PP essentials kit but you can request the products individually. https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/476208733/mama-baby-postpartum-care-kit-organic?click_key=a0e384c25fb8143b28e67ce856d0ccd5a3cae1f2:476208733&click_sum=67574111&ref=shop_home_active_18
- my favorite pads are the always infinity foamflex pads. They're thin and work super well.
- Bidet. I got one because I knew I would be cloth diapering and it was so much more convenient than the peri bottle. If you prefer Peri bottle, I got the fridababy one and my MW gave me one but I prefer the fridababy because it has a curved spout and was easier to use.
- mesh underwear
- protein powder and bars
Things I bought but didn't use
- my sister gave me a donut to sit on. I never used it.
- sitz bath. I was really determined to do this before giving birth but it was just too much to add on to the list of things to do after.
One other tip that's not really a mom PP thing but to pre-make frozen meals is a life saver!
Also, I got these breast pads for leakages that are reusable and silicon. They stay in place and don't get gross. The ones that are cloth always slip around and you can see them through your clothes.
Also for those that are on their 2-3+ be prepared for the after pains. I barely felt anything with #1. #2 I was just crampy. #3+ they got so bad I had chills and was nauseous. Seriously worse than labor. I try not to take OTC meds but it's one time I don't hesitate at all 😂
I definitely agree on the reusable cotton nursing pads. So much more comfortable than the disposable ones.
ETA- I'd rather sit on a frozen bag of peas if I really felt I needed it. 😂
I mostly just used what the hospital gave me last time. It’s a small town vibe there and we knew most of the L&D and postpartum nurses so they hooked us up.
My first VBAC I needed perinatal spray because of tearing, but for my 2nd I had no tears and no pain. Just lots and lots of pads because I bleed for about 6 weeks. My bleeding is never heavier than a normal period for me, so I just stock up on my normal Always pads.
The reusable nursing pads don't work for me, but I use the Parent's Choice disposable ones, and Lanolin for my poor nipples. The Haakaa is great for collecting milk as well.
Something new I got this time are the heat and cooling packs for your breasts! I get so engorged for about a week and a half, so I'm hoping this will cut back on that pain.
Other than that, I just like my water bottle and remote close at hand, and I chill on the couch for several weeks!