May 2023 Moms
Options

Baby Names Thread

Struggling to find the perfect name? Need to bounce your ideas off others? Talk about all things baby names here!

Re: Baby Names Thread

• Options
    ashleyp625ashleyp625 member
    edited October 2022
    I’ll start! 
    Originally when we had my son, we had chosen Sophia Christine for a girl, but we’re thinking of changing it to Sophia Grace.
    Boy names we are so stuck 🤦🏻‍♀️ A few we’ve thrown around are Judah, Chase, Landon and possibly Jordan, but we aren’t sold on anything yet. 
  • Options
    My daughter's middle name is Christine! (because it's also my middle name  :p) I like that it's a middle name you don't hear very often. But Grace flows well with a lot of first names!

We have a few favorites for a boy. Ethan was my favorite boy name for so long, but I feel like it's run its course. DH suggested Calvin. We both Arthur because it means "bear" and our last name means "bear farmer," but as DH put it, "So his name will be Bear Bear Farmer?"

If it's a girl, we both like Eleanor but aren't in love with it the way we were with DD's name. I really like Kendra, but DH does not.  :/ 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We've been bouncing different boy names around, except I'm just entertaining my husband, I really want his name to be my husband's with Jr at the end 😂 idk why I just think it'd be SO cute to have a Caleb Jr 
  • Options
    Yessss so pumped that this thread is here. 

Our kids are Elliott, Magnolia (Nola), and Cooper. 

If Elliott had been a girl, he would have been Charlotte Elizabeth. If Nola had been a boy, she would have been Lucas James. If Cooper had been a girl, he would have been Savannah Elizabeth. MH is pretty set on this one being Charlotte Elizabeth (nn Charley) if it's a girl. I'm on the fence because I feel like EVERYONE is named Charlotte these days. Other girl names: Quinn, Grace, Bobbie, Madeline, Adeline. The only boy name I like this time is Dylan.

@ashleyp625 I love Sophia! So cute. 
  • Options
    @BourbonBiscuits What about Charlee? It's pronounced like Charlene but without the N. 
  • Options
    Hunter is our boy name. DH wants an H name, but the girl options aren't great. Harriet is the only one I think I'd consider, and I don't love it. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Options
    ashleyp625ashleyp625 member
    edited October 2022
    @cait32 my son’s mn is Daniel. Such a good one. 
    @BourbonBiscuits Nola is so pretty! 
  • Options
    @hestia-is-wearie I love Eleanor! 

@BourbonBiscuits magnolia/Nola is adorable 

we have a Maevy Jean and the twins are Torren James and Teagan Marie. Right now the front runners are Quinn Kelli for girl and Finley Scott (nn Fin) for boy. Our patterns are: All of our first names are Gaelic/Irish and middle names are family names. But I never fully commit until I see the baby! 
  • Options
    @maelove I love the pattern - we use random names (just cute ones) for first names, middles (Preston, Dodge, Joseph) are always family names. I'm named after my grandmother who died right before I was born and it's always been SO much pressure because she was literally perfect. So I've always been hesitant to give family first names.
  • Options
    Wanted to give a shoutout to my favorite baby names website, Behind the Name. It has a lot of great resources on the popularity, origin, and meanings of first names. I like that it shows not just the popularity ranking of each name, but what percentage of babies per year were given that name. William, for example, was ranked #20 for American boy names 20 years ago, but is ranked #6 for last year. But ironically, you're less likely to meet another baby named William nowadays: 20 years ago, just over 1% of baby boys were given that name, but last year, it was given to just 0.65% of baby boys. "Popular names" are not as popular as they used to be!
  • Options
    Have you considered Hera… its a greek goddess name so sometimes people forget about it as its not terribly common… if you have feel feee to ignore
  • Options
    cait32 said:
    Halp... now that we've confirmed boy, I'm stumped. We have a Charles (Charlie) my DSS, then Annabelle, Benjamin, and Finn. Need another boy name... James and Daniel have both been on our list before, but I'm not certain. Any ideas welcome?
    We’re waiting to find out before deciding because we’re stuck on a boy name too, but the short list right now includes: Jude or Judah, Chase, Landon and Jordan. Our son is Owen Daniel. 
  • Options
    @cait32 It sounds like you lean towards classic names, so here's a few that came to mind:

Parker
    Philip
    Patrick
    Thomas
    Alexander/Alex
    Logan
    Jacob
    Nathaniel

(I don't know why I came up with so many P names  :p)
  • Options
    We had a brief moment of gender disappointment because we had chosen a girl name (Goldiana Jean, “Goldie Jean”) and a boy name (Reiss Heron) but we both liked Goldie and had grown attached to it. We found out we were having a boy and we were shocked but also both admitted to each other that we both didn’t feel as sure about Reiss and wished we could still use Goldie.  Soooo we pivoted and we’re going to go even weirder and call him Golden Reiss. Goldie for short still. I have a weird name myself and really liked growing up with a weird name (Ramsey Jean) so my hesitation for Reiss was that it was too common. My husband didn’t like that it was one syllable and didn’t have a hard consonant. We looked up Golden and it isn’t unprecedented as a name (though extremely uncommon) so we’re running with it! 
  • Options
    @cait32 just here to say I love James! It’s my sons middle name but sometimes I wish we had used it as a first. And it does go with your more classic name theme. What about Matthew, Jack, John, Owen, Louis, Harris, Alton, Wallace, Harlan? 
  • Options
    I need help finding the perfect bilingual boy name (Spanish & english)

Our daughters name is Isabella. We want to find a similar boys name that honors both sides of the family and both sides can pronounce.

Middle name will be Nicholas 
  • Options
    @jlco What sounds do your relatives struggle to pronounce? Do you want the name to be of Spanish origin with an English cognate (like Isabella/Elizabeth)?

Here is a list of male Spanish names on Behind the Name. If you click "more filters," you can select "letters" and "sound and syllables" to help narrow down your search.
  • Options
    We don’t know the gender yet, but my husband is a junior and has always kind of wanted a third, whereas I very much do not. I know many families love that tradition but my dad also has the same name as DH and FIL so it’s just too many of them!! You say Steve and half the room turns around!

I told DH that I’d consider a third if we called him a different name. I personally like “Tre” or “Trip” as a nn for being the third. DH hates both of those. He said that the only one he’d go for is if it was “Pete”… short for “three-peat.” I just cannot  :D

So now I’m hoping for a girl to just avoid the whole thing. It makes me laugh but I can’t subject my child to a lifetime of “My name is Steve but I go by Pete” lol
  • Options
    @jeanniegold love that name Goldie!!!! 
  • Options
    ktmaesimktmaesim member
    edited November 2022
    I am soooo stumped on girls names. I have a list but I just don’t love any of them which is stressing me out. We won’t find out the gender until actual birth so…. 

My sons name is Lachlan Robert so I’d love to do another L. Or on the contrary I’d love to name them (if it’s a girl) SYLVIE after my grandma, Sylvia. Our last name starts with S so Sylvie S sounds cute to me. HOWVER I’m just not in love with that one either. 

Other girl names I like: Tessa (but then our darn last name starts with S so super tongue twisty to me!), Mila, Pippa, Eden, Livy, Sloane 

For a boy we love: Theodore “Teddy”, Myles, Louis (pronounced Louie) 
  • Options
    @courtney701 I've known a few people in my lifetime who go by their middle name instead of their first name, including one of DH's best friends--and he continued that tradition with his daughter who was born earlier this year. So, Steven Peter could be an option!
    @ktmaesim For boys names that start with L, what about Logan, Lawrence, or Lucas? Theodore/Teddy is also great! If you like the sound of Theodore, Dorothy is one of the female versions of the name. 
  • Options
    courtney701courtney701 member
    edited November 2022
    @hestia-is-wearie I suggested that as we know a few people who do that too. No dice!
    @ktmaesim I knew a Theadora who went by Thea. I thought that was a pretty, less common name. Not quite in line with your other girl choices but could be an option if you like Theodore.
  • Options
    Now that we know they are girls, we are trying to find two names that go well together (for twins). So far we have considered Rhaenyra and Rhaena. I also like Luna, Aurora, but don’t have another name to go with either. Any ideas for twin girls?
  • Options
    @caro9318 I think Luna and Aurora would work together since both follow an astronomical theme. Are you trying to go for names that have similar sounds?
  • Options
    @caro9318 how do you pronounce the first names? Like Rainera and Raina? Do you want the names to sound similar or have any naming conventions in mind? (For instance, my grandfather's second wife has 5 girls whose names all start with K)
  • Options
    @hestia-is-wearie I’m not sure what I want lol, I think I just want the names to sound good together. 
    @BourbonBiscuits yes, the names come from a tv show we both like: House on the Dragon. And I think it would be nice if the names have a similar sound but I’m open to other options too.
  • Options
    @caro9318 oh cool! I've never seen the show, but I've heard of it! 
  • Options
    @caro9318 Rhaenyra and Rhaena sound pretty, but my personal opinion on pop culture-inspired names is that they can sound a little *too* trendy--like meeting a 35-year-old woman named Topanga. And as someone who grew up with an unusual last name, I had to correct every person who tried to spell or pronounce it, and in spite of that most people never bothered to get it right.

If you're looking for another Song of Ice and Fire-inspired name, what about Elia? It means "dawn" and so does Aurora. If you're leaning towards Luna, Selena also means "moon."
  • Options
    Should we consider Astrology While selecting baby names?
    combination of two names to make one
  • Options
    @hestia-is-wearie that is true, I don’t want them to feel weird about their names later on. I typically don’t do for names like this but I really liked Rhaenyra when I heard it. It’s so tough picking a name, luckily we have lots of time:) Luna has been a favorite for a long time so maybe I’ll look through more options and see what sparks my interest. 
  • Options
    Hello! We are having a girl and are stuck between Rowan and Emily.  I love Emily bc it is classic and sweet but I don't like how popular it has been.  I love the name Rowan bc it is strong and unique but I don't like Ro as a shortened form of Rowan.
  • Options
    I like Rowan - much more unique!
  • Options
    I’m obsessed with Jett, Crew, Dax, Dalton… but we are having a girl so I won’t be able to use any of those 
  • Options
    Our kids names are Scarlett Jordyn and Corbin Robert. 

For baby boy so far the top three are Oliver, Finn, and Rowan. I really liked Burdette my great grandfather's name but DH doesn't love it and I am not sure if it is out of place.
  • Options
    @radioactivet dying. Those are hysterical. There's a terribly entertaining facebook group all about horrible names. It kills me what some people decide to name an actual living, breathing human being.
  • Options
    @radioactivet I do not go to that specific website, but I do check for popularity. My husband always had to be Alex last initial because his name is fairly popular and he even roomed with another Alex in college!

Dying at that list "fennel hits the best" 

@BourbonBiscuits Yes, I think I am in that group and it is wild  :o
  • Options
    @gingermama46 the Tragedeigh one?! Omg it is so funny. "Vessel" for a girl is still the most terrible thing I've seen in there.
  • Options
    @radioactivet That list gets even better if you think about potential last name combos. Like...Pine Kohn  :D 
  • Options
    @BourbonBiscuits Yes!!! what in the world on some of them?!