March 2023 Moms

Weekly Randoms - 9/12

2»

Re: Weekly Randoms - 9/12

• So I've asked in other groups, and not got much help, but for those of you who have experience potty training, how did you get your kid to sit on the actual toilet? He's also great on the potty, with his dad or me, but apparently won't use it with anyone else so my sister and bro in law had him in diapers last weekend when we were away. For that I'm thinking we need to go to their house and hope he needs to use their potty and have one of them be there also, so he gets used to other people being there, but that opportunity doesn't come up a lot. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • nopegoatnopegoat member
    edited September 2022
    @cheznet actual toilet or a kids potty? Is he afraid of it? Also how old? 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Loading the player...
  • @k_keyser1996 Woah! You’re our first (only??) twin mom! Congrats! 

For jeans- try the girls tie trick. Grab one and loop one end on the button, put the other end through the hole and secure it back on the button. It’ll give you a bit more space while you’re in that clothing transition phase. 
  • @heytallmama definitely wasn’t expecting to hear that news.. but I guess that explains how severe my symptoms have been.. and I will definitely have to try that trick!
  • @nopegoat he'll be 3 in October. He sits and uses a little potty just fine, with us. Not with anyone else. We have an insert to put on the regular toilet, but he won't use it. He might be afraid of it. We sit and use it and go, "oh how comfortable this is" and ask him to use it. No dice.
  • @k_keyser1996 wow congratulations! That's a big surprise. How are you feeling about it other than shock? I second @heytallmama with the hair tie. Works so well. 
  • @miss_lynn9 surprised, nervous, everything is making sense now symptom wise. 
  • @cheznet With my daughter, she was so stubborn and would refuse anything we made a big deal out of. So we ultimately ended up having to sit her on the potty and then walk away as if we didn't care whether she used it.

@k_keyser1996 Congrats!!
  • @nopegoat thank you! And @noxacanthus thank you! 
  • @k_keyser1996 congrats!! Wow what a surprise. I was just thinking the other day how interesting it was that no one in our group was having twins but it looks like you’re the one! 

So I think I caught a little stomach bug. Yesterday I had a migraine and threw up pretty much everything I ate until around midnight. I couldn’t even keep water down. I felt so bad for little baby - it was rough. Today I finally feel better but apparently I broke all the blood vessels around my eyes and I look so crazy today with little spots everywhere. I don’t want to grocery shop or leave the house at all. 
  • Oh no! I'm so glad you are feeling better @disneybaby23
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • My 12yr old is in charge of feeding and watering our rabbits twice a day. Sometime about a month ago he apparently decided to take it upon himself to let the rabbits out of their cages. Together.... And didn't tell anyone. So we had a suprise litter of rabbits this morning and who knows how many more to follow. 😑😑 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @nopegoat oh no! Did you find the rabbits or are they on the loose?
  • @nopegoat omg the amount of baby animals you’ve had lately! You are truly Wonder Woman for caring for them all. So cool. 

Also- I can’t recall if anyone here is located in the pathway of Hurricane Ian, but if you are, I hope you’re safe! ❤️
  • @disneybaby23 thank you! Hope you are feeling better!
    my husband and I are driving to my parents this weekend to tell them. They don’t even know I’m pregnant.. 
  • @heytallmama when I say there's never a dull moment, I mean it. 😅😂😂 But I truly do love it! 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • I'm starting solo potty training tomorrow and. Super nervous. Wish me luck. And tips are welcome! 
  • @miss_lynn9 Good luck! Start off naked on the bottom and then commando, then with underwear. And if your kid is super terrified and fighting it hardcore, they aren’t ready (learned the hard way twice). Don’t look away for even a second (this is how I ended up with a turd on my dining room floor 🤣). 
  • heytallmamaheytallmama member
    edited September 2022
    @miss_lynn9 good luck! We had success by going underwear only on the bottom, pumping her full of liquids, and NO tv or iPad for 3 days (that was the hardest part). We asked her every couple of minutes, “tell me when you need to use the bathroom” or “you’re holding yourself- does that mean you need to use the bathroom?” Sticker chart for trying to use the potty, m&m for successful pee, 2 for successful poop. She was 2.5 and had a few accidents day 1, 1-2 on day 2, and none days 3-onward, save a random one here or there in the 1st month. We followed the Brandi Brucks (Bucks?) Potty Training In 3 Days book. 

We also did “diaper fairy” so she knew they were no longer an option. *She* helped collect diapers from all spots we had them, but them in a box, and *she* put them on the porch for the diaper fairy it take for “babies who need them” because she was a big kid and didn’t use diapers anymore. It was a HUGE help to remind her that she did those actions and was an active part of this process and helped her get excited to help babies. Also helped us not buckle and go back to diapers if it got hard because we literally gave them away. 
  • @miss_lynn9 we always used a juice box as a reward for going on the potty - that way she’d have to go again soon after and continue the practise! 

Good luck!! 
  • @heytallmama I love the diaper fairy idea! 

Thanks for the tips! 

We decided not to potty train. We transitioned her to a big girl bed last weekend and we think it will be too much for her to process which she's still trying to figure out her bed. 
  • @heytallmama what about at night? Did you have night and nap diapers?
  • @cheznet I realize this wasn’t directed at me, but for my kids, putting them in a nap/nighttime diaper was not good cause they’d just hold their poops & pees until they had a diaper back on. It SUCKS cause you end up changing a lot of sheets, but I found the transition pretty quick. (A hack I saw once: get 2 mattress liners/fitted sheets, and layer them liner-sheet-liner-sheet so if they have an accident, you just take off the top liner and sheet and their bed is ready to go again!)
  • I have to have a big convo with my boss today about financial stuff (which he doesn’t understand at all) and I really am dreading it. I’m sure it will be ok but I will be very happy when it’s over! 
  • DD2 has pinworms. *shudder* I hyperventilated when I saw them, but Dr. Google says that up to 40% of toddlers get them as some point. We gave her a dose of medicine and also dosed DD1 just in case. I hope to never see that again! I had nightmares all night long about worms.
  • nopegoatnopegoat member
    edited October 2022
    @marebear15 living on a farm my boys have had them too. Make sure you wash all their bedding and underwear/jammies in hot water and redose them in 2wks. 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • cheznet said:
    @heytallmama what about at night? Did you have night and nap diapers?
    Once potty trained, naps we did underwear only. For bedtime we did “nighttime underwear” which was a pull up inside of underwear so she would look down and still see underwear. After about 2 weeks she didn’t have any accidents while sleeping so we ditched the pull ups and she was good to go! We also limited water about an hour or so before bed, which helped a ton. 
  • @cheznet We did underwear for naps with a mandatory potty break before (and still do this for the kids on the weekends!) and initially did a couple weeks of pull ups for nighttime until they woke up dry consistently. But, we didn’t use pull ups any other time and just called them “nighttime underwear” and discussed they were for just in case and not to pee in. 

Both my kids were a little over three when they trained and I think it helped them to reason better about things than if they were littler. Not knocking earlier training at all, but my kids just weren’t ready. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I fully expect #3 to be the same!
  • @Wishilivedinflorida we first tried with my oldest when she was 18m. Then waited until she was 2y3m before trying again. It made a WORLD of difference!