March 2023 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Car Seats

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on threads like these throughout your time at the board, not just when they're in their week in the spotlight, if you discover something new OR are new to the board. This week it's.... Car Seats!

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome!

For S+TMs: 

• Vehicle factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite car seat:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Are you considering a specific car seat that goes with a travel system? Why?:
  • Is there a car seat you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts?:

For FTMs

• Lifestyle factors that might influence your choice:
  • Car seats you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

Next up: breast pumps and accessories

Re: Product Spotlight: Car Seats

• Options
    miss_lynn9miss_lynn9 member
    edited September 2022
    Vehicle factors that might influence your choice: how much leg room you need. If you want it behind the driver, passenger, or in the middle. Your seat can not touch the car seat. So if your tall, or have a small vehicle, then you may not be able to have it behind you. Height would be a factor then if you had to move it and then it blocks your view for shoulder checking. 

Favorite car seat: Bucket seat Cleck Liing, Convertible - Clek Foonf

Link/picture
    Liing: 

Foonf: 

Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): Liing is $530-680 at CDN Foonf is $740-790 CDN. Depending on the fabric you get. 

What you like about it:
    - safety features go above and beyond. They have a REACT system we hich reduces the force transmitted to baby.
    - ridgid-latch 
    - One of the main things I wanted is non toxic, natural fabric so I got the wool one in the bucket seat. It was so soft but It was hard to clean so I decided to get the premium c-zero plus fabric in the convertible and I LOVE it! 

Convertible features: 
    - extended rear facing
    - anti rebound bar
    - advanced side impact
    - one of the thinest seats so you can fit 3 across
    - Very heavy

Bucket features:
    - load leg 

There are other reason why I got these ones those are just some of the main ones. 

What you don't like about it, if anything: There isn't anything that I don't like about either of them. 

Are you considering a specific car seat that goes with a travel system? Why?: I bought the stroller around the car seat as the car seat was more important than the stroller. 

Is there a car seat you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: My car was stolen and some very nice families offered me their seats to use. One just gave me hers since she was done so we keep that one in my husband's car. It was the Diono Radian. I don't hate it, it was just so light and didn't seem like it had the level of protection as the Cleck. It is more affordable than the Clek though. And all car seats have to pass the safety guidelines so I don't feel it's unsafe, I just prefer the Clek. 

Additional thoughts?:
  • Options
    heytallmamaheytallmama member
    edited September 2022
    • Vehicle factors that might influence your choice: Agree with @mi@miss_lynn9 - your car type, your height, and number of seats you need all play a part in that choice. 
    • Favorite car seat: we did the Chicco Key Fit 30 for our daughter and used the infant insert too. A+, will buy this again. 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): If IIRC, it was mid-range. 
    • What you like about it: Relatively light weight, strong safety reccs. Price and looks. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: no complaints. 
    • Are you considering a specific car seat that goes with a travel system? Why?: Chicco corso system this go because honestly I like the set and trust the brand based on prior experience. I’m pretty sure the actual seat is damn close to the one we used to have.
    • Additional thoughts?: https://www.babygearlab.com/

I’ll caveat by saying we did a shit ton of research during first baby, and used the above link to compare and contrast items. That link is golden and we used it for car seats, strollers, diaper pails….you name it. Highly recommend
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    • Vehicle factors that might influence your choice: 
    Moving to three across in my husband’s Terrain and I will be getting a 3rd row SUV. My mom also will need to seat 3 across. 
    • Favorite car seat: For infants, Chicco Keyfit 30. For bigger kids, we’ve had success with the Graco 4ever (which I replaced with the Nautilus after a recent car accident and didn’t need the RF capabilities of the 4ever anymore). DD is FF in a harness and DS is in backed booster mode. 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $-$$. I think pretty affordable for the quality and safety. 
    • What you like about it: The Chicco is nice quality and holds up well to laundering for blow outs and spit ups. I have read it works with 3 across, which is a must for us. Fits most strollers with adapters. Gracos were affordable and will be used in my car until they no longer need boosters. Wish they weren’t so wide that we could keep them in the Terrain. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything:
    The Chicco is a little heavy and we had to switch to the 4ever due to child size around 9 months. 

The Gracos can’t do three across. 😭 Switching to the Diono Radian for DD in my husband’s car and will get a backless narrow booster for DS since he will be 6 when this babe comes. 
    • Are you considering a specific car seat that goes with a travel system? Why?:
    I already have the Bravo stroller from my prior two kids that nobody wanted to buy. Getting a keyfit to fit that makes sense. The prior seat expired so needs replaced. 
    • Is there a car seat you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: I just don’t like the feel and look of the Graco infant bucket seats. They seem cheap but are light! But I’ve never “used” one. 
    • Additional thoughts?: n/a
  • Options
    I consulted a CPST for recommendations based on my wants. Totally did the lazy way and took their (trusted) word for it. I was happy with it for DS and will reuse the bucket seats for #2. I have the fit2 by chicco
    FTM
    July 4th
  • Options
    @firecracker_mama That's not the lazy way - that's a super efficient way to do it! 
  • Options
    Question as a FTM,
     Is there a store to go to that lets you see all of the different brands and pick them up out of a box, compare them, etc? I have no idea what to pick out and would rather see them in person as well as read online!
  • Options
    heytallmamaheytallmama member
    edited September 2022
    @ebmn2022 Is Buy Buy Baby a thing near you? I think it was Babies R Us that we used to go to years ago, but I'm pretty sure it went out of business - at least the storefronts. Either way - that's probably the best bet to see a lot of brands at once. I feel the same way about wanting to scope out strollers - lemme just go and push a few around/ collapse a few and see what's up! I know Target tends to have a few carseats on display and all, but definitely not extensive. 
  • Options
    @ebmn2022 we have a store in Canada called West Coast kids. I don't think it's in the states but they have many models on the floor and you can take them out and put them in your car to see if/how they fit. I highly recommend finding a store that will allow you to do this. You can't return car seats so if you buy one and find it doesn't fit in your car you're stuck with it. 
  • Options
    @miss_lynn9 I didn’t realize you can’t return them! Yikes.. all the more reason to find a store like the one you’re mentioning!

@heytallmama I’ll find one of those stores, I’m sure they exist!