February 2023 Moms
Options

What my pregnant self is eating - August

What is tasting good this month? What can you not stand?
Me: 34  DH: 34
Married 10/28/17
Our TTC Journey
TTC #1 February '18
Team Green turned Team Blue 10/15/18

TTC #2 January '21
BFP June '21
MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C July '21
Jan '22 - started IF testing
BFP Jan '22
MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C Feb '22
BFP May '22

Re: What my pregnant self is eating - August

• Options
    Fruit and vegetables all day every day!! My six services per day are easily 12 or 15. Smoothies breakfast and afternoon, mainly salad for lunch, veggie-rich vegetarian dinners (e.g. oven baked veggies with chickpeas and halloumi). And snacking on stone fruits in between. It's all I seem to want to eat.

Suppose it's not the worst craving I could have, but I am probably not eating as varied as I should. Completely uninterested in meat at the moment, and also I am not really able to cook or eat fish, which is a shame 😞 
  • Options
    @justkp I am envious of your cravings. I've never craved health food in pregnancy! I normally eat pretty healthy but for some reason not so much when I'm really supposed to. Do tell me your secrets to wanting these living foods.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @seeds_of_joy I honestly don't know! :D Just a random stroke of luck, I suppose, combined with the fact that nothing else seems to appeal to me at all. I do feel lucky not having to battle cravings for sweets and stuff, but I wish I could have the occasional meat and particularly fish to up my protein, omega 3s and iron... Thank god for prenatals, right? :D 
  • Options
    @justkp I’m kind of in your boat- I can’t tell what sounds very good right now aside from smoothies. This one I get is super good, called the Scotty’s Mint Chip. It settles my stomach ❤️ 

One other thing I’ve had recently that sat pretty well was vegetarian Indian food. It actually helped my digestion for the day, too. 

@seeds_of_joy I’m in your boat, I normally love healthy eating and being active. When I can’t eat my normal foods, it makes me feel like some sort of failure!! I hope things get better in the second trimester 🙏
  • Options
    @cpk3535 Mint chip smoothie sounds gorgeous!!! I might give the indian suggestion a go as well and make a vegetarian tikka or some dhal or something tonight. I like the idea and the thought of it sits ok with me. Be good to mix it up a bit :D 
  • Options
    @cpk3535 me too. I think it will get better! I have to really limit myself on how much sugar and fat I eat because of my digestive issues.  I have to force myself to eat healthier. 🥺 I just hope it doesn't get bad like it was a few months ago when I was eating vegetable mush. I don't think I could handle that.

• Options
    I’m definitely craving cheese. Specifically pimento cheese 😆 I had it on a burger this weekend and it was absolutely divine. And I can’t stop thinking about it
  • Options
    kristinl492kristinl492 member
    edited August 2022
    Meat is not really my friend right now, however, I just inhaled a giant cheesesteak and it was fantastic. I haven’t eaten a meal that substantial in weeks!

im also convinced my teeth are going to rot out of my mouth with how many mints and hard candies I pop to keep the icky feelings at bay during the work day 😖
  • Options
    I generally love water, but right now, the water I typically like just tastes…kinda gross. Not sure what that’s about…
  • Options
    @cpk3535 I feel like I'm drowning when I drink it lately.
  • Options
    @seeds_of_joy yeah, I feel like that, too! I’m trying to drink because I know I need to, but I start feeling burp-y and gross. Ice seems to help a little bit. My daughter’s soda tasted way better the other day, but I don’t want to go that route, lol 😂 
  • Options
    @cpk3535 I'm not a soda drinker but have been craving root beer!!!
  • Options
    @seeds_of_joy I craved root beer with my first pregnancy. With this one and the last one the only thing I can drink is soda which helps with my nausea weirdly enough. I’m not a soda drinker normally. 
  • Options
    Drinking my frozen Coke from McDonald’s now - my stomach hasn’t felt this good in a few days! 😂

I’m like you, not a soda person normally at all. It feels so bad but so good simultaneously😂
  • Options
    @cpk3535 I’m so not a soda person either but ice cold Coke during pregnancy is just glorious, especially during the first trimester!
  • Options
    I don't know what it is about soda that makes it seem refreshing when really it sucks the life out of you...which is why I will just say no. I think they must still put drugs in it like the old fashioned coke. 😂
  • Options
    Not eating, but drinking related — Coffee is one of my favorite things in the entire world, and it has NEVER agreed with my stomach during pregnancy, not even half a cup. 🤢 I bought a couple different kinds of tea this weekend to try (because I also do enjoy tea, but usually in the evening), but it’s…just still not the same. 😩 Anyone else? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @runningyogimama me, too! I generally love coffee (my husband makes fun me for coffee being more satisfying than sex for me, lol) and it’s just not that great to drink for me right now. Tea has never been the same, and it’s even less satisfying right now. Plus my heightened taste and smell makes everything weird right now!! It’s such a weird time😝
  • Options
    @cpk3535 I’m glad someone else shares my deep love of coffee, ha! Sorry you also deal with not being able to stomach it during pregnancy. It makes me irrationally irritated when my husband still makes himself coffee every morning, when I’m over here drinking stupid water and have to smell the coffee I wish I was drinking. 😝

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Guys, I'd been craving a Costco hot dog for the last month and yesterday I finally caved. Really enjoyed eating it - did not feel awesome for the rest of the day  :D. At least I satisfied my craving and can move on for the rest of the pregnancy. (i know i know, hotdogs during pregnancy are not recommended. Twas a personal risk benefit decision!) 

Otherwise, I'm past the 14w mark and overall feeling like I can get back to my somewhat healthy routine and am no longer nauseated if I'm not snacking constantly!
  • Options
    seeds_of_joyseeds_of_joy member
    edited August 2022
    @runningyogimama  I love coffee too and our relationship has always struggled in pregnancy. That's how I knew I should test with my first. I was turned off by coffee and chocolate. I've been going back and forth between my pressed coffee and my mushroom blend. I'll prefer one and then be grossed out by it and not be able to finish. The only thing that seems to taste good every time as far as coffee is iced flavored coffee with way too much sugar. Quitting coffee is not an option for me since we started the homeschool year and I need to have energy for that. Also, what would we do without our coffee rituals?....even if it's gross right now.
  • Options
    @seeds_of_joy could you start making your own cold brew at home and jazz it up with some simple syrup or flavored creamer of your choice? There are so many high quality cold brew options out there now that maybe won't make you feel icky. 
  • Options
    @seeds_of_joy My stomach literally cannot handle it, though - it comes right back up. 🤣 Only with coffee! It’s the weirdest thing, and also saddest thing, so it’s not just pushing past the taste or some queasiness or anything for me, unfortunately. ☹️ And I have definitely tried on many occasions to see, but even the smallest amount (I even tried an iced latte with maybe 1/3 cup coffee), and I’m sick the rest of the day! 🤷🏼‍♀️ I have had to live without it, because I have no other choice, which sucks. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @runningyogimama I have a coffee aversion this pregnancy and my first one. Second one I drank it the whole time. Go figure 🤷🏼‍♀️. I did get a vanilla latte at breakfast last weekend and I was able to sip and enjoy but definitely didn’t finish it.
  • Options
    @nwshay yes! Thanks for reminding me. I was planning to do that. My friend froze coffee in an ice cube tray and made me one last week. She uses the same mushroom blend as me and I meant to freeze some coffee so I could try it at home 

@runningyogimama I'm sorry. 😞 That's sad. Was it like that for all your pregnancies?
  • Options
    I just got telling my husband that I don't like chocolate this time and now I can't stop eating out of a bag of chocolate chips. I'm leaving chocolate finger prints on my phone. 😂
  • Options
    Poached eggs and toast have been a go-to for me. Still waiting for this stomach to settle down a bit!!! My mom told me when she was pregnant with my brother, her morning sickness went through about five months 😳🤢 I hope that’s not the case for me, just because this is a boy! 🤞🙏
  • Options
    My morning sickness seems better with boys 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    Poached eggs with toast sound sooo delicious! I’m really grateful that my appetite is returning and my meat aversion is lessening. Still dealing with some mild nausea but managing through. 
  • Options
    Omg…the cravings are so intense! For whatever reason, I’m craving foods that I used to love as a child and haven’t eaten in decades. Tonight, I am craving an egg omelet sandwich with Mayo on white bread. I didn’t have all of the food items in my fridge and the craving was so bad that I actually drove my butt to the grocery store at 9:30pm (right before the grocery store closes at 10pm) to get the goods and make my sandwich now at 10:15pm. Good grief! At least my body and baby is satisfied now! 😂
  • Options
    I can eat everything at the moment, which is awesome! I weighed myself yesterday only to discover that I'd actually lost 2 kg this first trimester. I had thought - based on the fact that I don't fit my pants anymore and am straight up wearing maternity shorts now at 12+4  - that some of it was probably fat gain due to constant snacking. Apparently not! But I suppose the snacking has been mainly on fruit and veg. Now I can have a full, proper carb and protein rich meal when I get back from training, which is good because I play 10-15 hours a week at the moment and I think pregnant people aren't supposed to shrink for too long?  :D

The one specific craving I do have is cornichons. I want them. All the time. So bad. I want one now! 

cpk3535 Mmmm poached eggs on toast. With avocado. Or salmon <3 Now I'm starving!  
  • Options
    ttc3y Good job you made it in time or there would have been a real crisis! :D 
  • Options
    @justkp what is a cornichon?!
  • Options
    seeds_of_joy They are like tiny bumpy pickles of sorts, with a delicious acidic kick to them. Often found on charcuterie plates (around here, anyway, not sure about the US) but don't need the the charcuterie, I just want the cornichons  :D  
  • Options
    @justkp I think we did have a jar of those not too long ago. I got them from Aldi and they were made in Germany.
  • Options
    seeds_of_joy Sounds very probable, the Germans love all sorts of picked cucumbers :D I'm gonna get myself a jar when I head home and snack them after dinner I think  :D
  • Options
    seeds_of_joyseeds_of_joy member
    edited August 2022
    @justkp they are pretty delicious. It must be my 6 to 37 percent German (depending on which DNA site) who thinks so. 😂
  • Options
    Also a pickled anything lover here! My family has a big Euro background, so pickled cucumbers, pickled onions, sauerkraut, etc always hits the spot. The only thing I’ve noticed is my sensitivity to some sweeter pickled items seems to be intensified, meaning I definitely like it saltier. 😋🤤
  • Options
    Definitely a pickle lover here thanks to a mix of German heritage and rural Appalachian canning and food preservation, and this whole thread is making me want chow chow and pickled red beet eggs. Now I just have to figure out where to get them around here, since I’m not usually a sweet pickle person 😂
  • Options
    seeds_of_joycpk3535, @fertile-turtle

Oooh, seems we've got a germanic-ish pickles club going on here  <3B)