May 2022 Moms

The Great Big Name Thread

123457»

Re: The Great Big Name Thread

• @jandawg I love the name Emerson. I was considering Emerson, because of Ralph Waldo Emerson, but DH didn’t like it. We also had Henry and David on the list just because I love the transcendentalist writers. 

If you choose Emerson I’m going to be jealous! But seriously it’s a great name. 
  • @taylorharris0522 I love it too, but DH is not super into it. I feel like it might be getting really popular though right now.
  • Loading the player...
  • thoughts on the name Felicity? I feel like I’ve stumbled into an American Girl name trend and every name DH or I mention has an American Girl attached (Adeline, Samantha, etc…) but idk. Felicity has stuck with me a bit more than any other name we’ve brought up 
  • @skc040512 I LOVE the name Felicity!! It’s been on my name list since I was a teenager. Husband doesn’t like it and we try to find names that work in both cultures, so it’s never made the cut (and I hadn’t predicted a husband of different nationality than myself when I was daydreaming in my rural high school). Amelia has always been on my list too ♥️
  • @skc040512 I think Felicity is a beautiful name! Feminine, classy, yet fiery to me. Love it. 

• @skc040512 i love Felicity! 
  • @skc040512 I love Felicity too!

• Maybe it’s finally happening?? Maybe not?? 
    Stuck this in the nursery to see if it grows on me or not… TBD

• I love Felicity! @skc040512. On the American girl name trend, my friend just had a Joss. I think that’s super pretty!
  • @MrsLaLaBug an A name in general or do you all have options?!

@skc040512 i like felicity! Very classic. 
  • @MrsLaLaBug I saw your name on this thread as the last post and immediately clicked. I love Arleigh! Cute, feminine, and just unique enough!
  • Well I told my husband I'm no longer sold on Theodora. He was THRILLED. (not).. oops. I just found myself not wanting to share her name and feeling weird about calling her that. So Baby A may or may not have a name anymore  :#
    Married 11.12.11
    JB 08.02.13 
    EC 12.11.15
    GE 04.04.19
    #4 & #5 due 05.05.22
  • @jackdetroit that’s exactly what happened with me on DD1’s name! I loved it, had it all ready to go once we found out she was a girl, and then like a month later I was like “nope. Not using it”. It just didn’t feel right (and looking back now, the first name pick really doesn’t go with her personality). We actually ended up naming DD2 that original pick 😂
  • @jackdetroit I think if you were finding yourself hesitant to call her that and not being compelled the tell everyone the name then maybe it’s just not her name. It’s a great name! But maybe not hers. You still have time!!! 
  • Sorry I've been a little absent lately. My grandfather passed away last weekend. He's had Parkinson's for about 15 years but just went into hospice care last week so in a strange way, he went faster than we expected. I'm telling you all this in this thread because now I'm questioning whether to change our little guy's name. We had decided on Samuel Drew (Samuel after DH's maternal grandmother's last name and his mom's maiden name, and Drew after DH's mother's name.) We name after people who have passed, so now I'm questioning whether we need to use my grandfather's name somehow. His name was Raydean Alicen Draper. I really want to keep "Samuel" because I love it and we've been calling the baby, "Sammie." I want to keep the D middle name because DH's moms name was Deborah and I really want a child named after her. So we're considering changing his middle name to Dean. I've thought about changing it to Draper but that feels a little weird to me because that's my maiden name. I know many people use maiden names as middle names but I don't know... It just doesn't sound right to me. I don't love "Dean" but it seems like the best way to memorialize DH's mom and my grandfather. Does anyone have any other ideas? 
  • @runninginva I’m so sorry for your loss! 
    I love the name Samuel Dean, and I think it’s a great way to honor both your grandfather and MIL. 🤍
    We also used family names when we decided on a name for our baby boy! 
  • b_1029b_1029 member
    edited February 2022
    @runninginva no other ideas, but we have some friends who named their son Draper. I had never heard it before but it has grown on me. If it’s your maiden name, that could honor your family/grandfather and still keep the D to honor Yh’s mom? Although I do think Samuel dean has a better ring to it, that’s just me personally. 

ETA I am sorry for your loss. 
  • @runninginva sorry for your loss 💜 
    My son’s middle name is my grandfather’s last name also, so to me personally, Draper would be a wonderful way to honor him. 

• @runninginva so sorry for your loss 💜 I think Samuel Dean flows together nicely, but I love that Draper honors your grandfather and your side of the family.  
  • @runninginva sorry for your loss. If you want a D name that honors your grandpa but isn’t Dean or Draper there is Dre (or can spell it another way) that way you get the sound of Draper but more letters like Deborah. Whatever you decide, it will be perfect.
  • @runninginva I'm sorry for your loss. I think either name would be a beautiful way to honor him. I like Draper - we are also using my mom's maiden name as a middle name for this LO.