July 2022 Moms
Options

The Great Big Question Thread

Re: The Great Big Question Thread

• Options
    @tuxielove93

That's right. When the recall was first announced in 2019, Fisher Price definitely tried to blame it on improper use. But since then, several exposes have come out about how dangerous inclined sleepers are across the board, and how FP never ran safety tests to confirm its product was safe, or had the evidence showing safety that it claimed it had. IIRC, all they did before bringing the product to market was confer with one random family practice doctor from Texas, who wasn't an expert in pediatrics or infant sleep  

• Options
    Following up with links to a few RNP exposes:

This is a good example of a common issue with baby products. It's easy to think that if something is marketed for babies/ children, it must surely be safety tested or subject to safety regulations. But the majority of the time, that isn't the case. It's important to always look at any baby gear with a skeptical eye, and think hard about what safety issues they might pose.  A great example is the baby teethers with the "cord" consisting of silicon beads. They look adorable, but those beads are a huge choking hazard. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @caymanmel we didn’t have one but my SIL did and got a FP swing instead. I got a hand me down graco bassinet swing thing that I wonder if that would be a good replacement? And then I bought a mamaroo on Black Friday sale. My first kid hated the bouncer and swing we had so I sold them when he was a baby and hopefully one of these works 
  • Options
    Hey all, 

First timer here. I’m about 20+3 weeks, I have my anatomy scan this Friday. I feel like the baby is laying soo low in my pelvis. At random times i feel the pressure in my lower uterus area and I know I’m being unreasonable but it freaks me out that the baby could just fall right out. This is my anxious side talking and I know crazy but anyone else ever feel this way or carry like this? 
  • Options
    @blf2072 lol it’s normal. And it’s going to get worse as baby gets bigger. The last month it kind of feels like that all the time. Like your basically carrying a bowling ball between your legs. But there is no way baby is going to fall out, nor can you push the baby out by pushing too hard while pooping. That cervix is Fort Knox. And baby won’t fit out until you dilate all the way at the end of labor. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Options
    @skilouise thank you for sharing those articles. Really eye opening for me as a FTM.
  • Options
    @tuxielove93 thank you so much for easing my mind !! I was debating posting but glad I did :) 
  • Options
    @caymanmel my first used the RNP and she slept great in it. It was recalled with my second. I ended up just getting a fisher price bassinet like this that I could rock some if needed. My second loved to be swaddled so was a great sleeper. Hoping this baby will be the same! 🤞

Fisher-Price Rock with Me Bassinet https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08B1HW4V1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_RG815JSG5NX2E56Z470N

@velvetblue88 yes! I’ve had a couple. I know they’re more common when pregnant, but it’s so dry here in central IL, I’m sure it’s not helping anything.
  • Options
    Both of my daughters hated sleeping in our room and went straight to the crib, we tried the Rock n Play with my oldest (almost 10 years ago) and a bassinet with the youngest. I think I'm going to buy a mini Pack n Play bassinet too in case she hates the Fisher Price bassinet that we have. This baby has to sleep with us in our room because I don't want her waking up the other baby (they're only going to be about 14 months apart.) Anyone have success with the mini pack n play bassinet? 
  • Options
    @thegeekymom My biggest fear right now is that one kid is going to wake the other two and it's going to be a middle of the night nightmare. I do not do well at 2AM. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • Options
    Is it common to have a day where you just don't feel baby kicking at all? Please calm my nerves 😅 I'm telling myself he's just facing inward for a change.
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • Options
    @inthewoods23 yes yes yes. It’s normal at this point. They still have a lot of room in there. You can try drinking something sugary and laying on your side to get him going. You can also try rubbing and poking around to try to roust them. But there’s no reason to freak out 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • Options
    @inthewoods23 I had those days. I also have an anterior placenta so I don’t feel it as strong as others. As they get bigger you will feel them more! Some days I feel like the baby is soo active other days little to none! 
  • Options
    @tuxielove93 @blf2072 thanks ladies! I'm so not used to this. I've felt him throught the day for a good week or more with more frequent activity in the evening when my legs are propped up on the couch. Perhaps I was up and about at work more often than not today so there was little opportunity to feel him. I put some sweats on and got on the couch and now I can feel him poking around. He seems to be up a little higher which may explain why I wasn't feeling him just sitting normal. 
    *TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle

Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause
  • Options
    Has anyone dealt with finding Choroid plexus cysts on an ultrasound? They found two and I'm freaking out even though the nurse told me that I shouldn't lose sleep over it and they should disappear within a couple months. Our NIPT came back normal so it should be fine, but ugh so scary. We have a follow up ultrasound in 8 weeks and that seems like forever to wait. 
  • Options
    ericarai__ericarai__ member
    edited February 2022
    @inthewoods23 Yes! I started “training” myself to sleep on my left side early in pregnancy, but have been waking up on my back more often. I’m not sure why but sometimes using a pillow to cuddle and wrap my leg over helps. I have also heard pregnancy pillows can help if you’re concerned.
  • Options
    @inthewoods23 - activity isn't super consistent to track until 28 weeks, so i'm sure you are fine. I don't notice much movement during the day right now - Im; sure because i'm on the go go go , but anytime I sit quietly or lay down and pay attention I notice subtle movement
  • Options
    Anyone have any ideas for a low-key double gender reveal? My brother and SIL are due a week after us, and are expecting a boy. We're expecting a girl. We would like to find a fun, but low-key way to share the news with immediate family, but don't have any ideas. 

With my son we got a dozen cupcakes, half each with pink and blue frosting on top.  People "voted" by picking the color cupcake they thought was correct, then the inside of all of the cupcakes was blue. 

• Options
    Any suggestions on pregnancy pillows? I’ve been wrapping my leg around a long pillow but have been waking up on my back more frequently. I have heard c-shaped pillows can help. I’ve looked at a lot on Amazon. Many of the reviews say they lack stuffing or become flat quick. I’m 21 weeks and would like it to last me until the end of my pregnancy. If you have any other suggestions to preventing rolling onto my back I’d love to hear them!
  • Options
    @skilouise We ordered smoke poppers off of Target and painted over the colored part. It was fun and super simple, can be done in the back yard. My SIL had an outfit wrapped and they opened it as a family to see if it was a boy or girl.
  • Options
    @ericarai__ i have this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M79KGPM/ref=dp_iou_view_item?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    i had a different one my las tpregnancy and i agree that they flatten some, but lasted the whole time. It would have probably been fine to use this time but we moved across country and it was too big of a pain to move.  i had a C one last time and I got  a U shaped one this time . I am sensitive to what i rest my head on and i did not like using it as a pillow, so i flip it the other way and just use my regular pillow - it's been working well!
  • Options
    I Also have the above pregnancy pillow from Amazon. It’s been helpful but I still occasionally end up on my back. It’s inevitable for me, but this helps. 
  • Options
    @ericari I roll a towel and stuff it under one hip. The towel doesn’t flatten out 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • Options
    I feel like this sometimes.  I'm 18 weeks 4days and I had a doc appointment Friday, he checked me out to make sure the baby was in the right area and nor falling out. Everything was OK. The baby is right under my belly button.
  • Options
    Anyone diagnosed with Marginal Cord Insertion in this or a past pregnancy?
    just found this out today at my anatomy US. Sounds like most of the time is fine but can cause pre term delivery or restricted growth and has me freaked out a little after losing our last little guy. My doc has a good plan in place but I’m pretty sure I’m going to be anxious now until delivery 
  • Options
    @runnergirl2018. My best friend had this with her first-- she had to get ultrasounds every week or two during the second half of pregnancy, but the baby was totally fine and delivered at term with no complications. I totally understand the anxiety after a loss-- I think you're right that you just might feel anxious until the baby arrives, but it is the case that this mostly turns out fine. And the good news is that they monitor you *really* closely, so they can act quickly if anything looks amiss. 
    TTC History
    TTC #1 Sep 2017-Sep 2018 
    BFP 11/30/2017 | MMC 12/31/2017
    BFP 6/22/2018 | CP 6/27/2018
    BFP 10/5/2018 | EDD 6/14/2019
    Baby girl born 6/19/19

TTC #2 May 2020-November 2021
    BFP 7/18/2020 | MonoDi Twins | MMC 9/10/2020
    BFP 11/7/2020 | CP 11/9/2020
    RE Consult January 2021 | Dx "borderline DOR"/RPL
    IVF with PGT:
    Standard Antagonist:
    ER #1 3/27/2021 7R | 5M | 3F | 2B | 1 PGT-A Normal, 1 low-level mosaic
    ER #2 4/22/2021 10R | 7M | 3F | 2B | 0 normal, 2 aneuploid
    ER #3 5/19/2021 2R | 1M | 0F
    Estrogen Priming Antagonist:
    ER #4 7/10/2021 5R | 4M | 3F | 1B | 1 PGT-A Normal
    Duostim  (Standard Antagonist):
    ER #5 9/22/2021 13R | 11M | 8F | 5B | 2 PGT-A Normal, 1 low-level mosaic, 2 aneuploid
    ER #6 10/9/2021  9R | 6M | 4 F | 1B | 1 aneuploid
    FET #1  11/5/2021 | EDD 7/24/2022
    Baby boy born 7/19/22

TTC #3 since May 2023 (ntnp)
    IVF Started Fall 2023 (Standard Antagonist)
    ER #7 10/6/2023 | 9R | 6M | 5F | 3B | 2 aneuploid, 1 high-level mosaic
    ER #8 10/31/2023 | 5R | 4M | 3F | 1B | 1 PGT-A Normal
    FET #2 11/27/23 | CP (bHCG = 8)
    FET #3 planned Jan 2024

• Options
    @bumblebee0210 that's helpful to hear.  They said US every 4 weeks for me starting at 28 weeks and then i do NST 2x/week starting at 32 weeks - but then the doc also said that i can expect to likely also have US once a week around that time, so i'm not exactly sure how often the US will happen starting at 32 weeks but it sounds like often
  • Options
    Totally super low stakes question, but I'm curious what it is for everyone!

How much belly lotion do you use at a time? I typically do 1 pump of the Palmer's cocoa butter stretch mark lotion for my butt and some small areas on my inner thighs and 1 pump for my belly and boobs. I've already used up 1 bottle. Am I likely to go through another 1 or 2 bottles?

And on a side note, get yourself one of those Spatty Daddy tools. Bottles with pumps are notorious for leaving behind SO much product. Just flipping it over to fall into a travel container and using the spatula to get the last bit out I have half the container filled which is perfect for my travel next week!
    *TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017

IUI #1-3 all BFN

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause
  • Options
    @inthewoods23 I use maybe 2 tbsp at a time, but I hardly remember to use it (maybe 1-2x a week). I use some kind of Burt’s bees belly lotion. It’ll probably last the whole pregnancy lol 
  • Options
    I just use regular unscented Aveeno after my shower. I almost managed to not get any stretch marks with my last pregnancy, except on my inner thighs, hips, and a few light ones on my tummy only within like the last week or two. 3 years later and they're hardly noticeable. I'm hoping I can get lucky like that again lol. 
  • Options
    I think stretch marks are mostly genetic (doesn’t seem fair). My first pregnancy I used the Mustela stretch mark lotion (which smelled so good) and I didn’t get any. With my second, I didn’t use anything besides regular lotion when needed and that’s all I’m doing now. 
  • Options
    There isn’t really a way to prevent stretch marks. They either happen or they don’t, but most of them do fade to a silvery barely noticeable color after. I have a spiderweb of them on my stomach, but they’re really not noticeable once my body recovers. 

That said, dry skin is a common pregnancy symptom and sucks. I have pretty severe skin issues on my own so I spend pregnancy in an itchy state of dry discomfort. I use pure oils because anything else just makes it worse. And I use a ton. Like I go through a jar of coconut oil in two weeks. But I have skin issues so I kind of have to marinate in it to have any real effect at this point. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • Options
    @lilirunning34 that's probably what my usage equates to 🤔 I'm guessing I'll need 2 pumps on my belly alone as we get closer to full term

@stardustskies let's hope we're both lucky! Seem to be doing fine with the cocoa butter so I'm glad I didn't shell out $20+ for something else.

@sunshineandlemons it's so weird that it's genetic when it seems like it would depend more on how well your skin is moisturized to allow stretching. Like when you think of an old, dry rubber band that cracks and snaps pretty easy compared to a new one.

@tuxielove93 agreed. I have stretch marks on my butt (from what I have no idea having no kids) that you can't really see unless you pull the skin taut. I feel like I have to marinate the back of my hands right now with the winter weather 😆 
    *TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017

IUI #1-3 all BFN

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause
  • Options
    Hi Ladies,

CRIB TALK here :)
    what certifications are important when selecting a crib? Most seem to be all be held to the same safety standard passed 2011. Is Green Guard important?  Any other things to look for ? 
  • Options
    Hello ladies,
    Just a little curious about weight gain. I’m 18w+6d today and I haven’t really gained weight in a few weeks. I’m still feeling the baby moving, and my belly seems to still be growing some but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I have been working out so maybe that’s why? Our anatomy scan is next week, so I guess that’ll answer my questions. Thanks 😊
  • Options
    @knottie (try changing your username so you're easier to tag).. Weight gain is different for everyone. Especially this early, I'm sure you're fine as long as you aren't LOSING weight. It usually picks up later in the second trimester to third trimester. 😊
  • Options
    @knottie If you are an average weight, you should gain around 25-35 pounds total. But that's through the whole pregnancy. As long as you are eating healthfully and when you are hungry, I wouldn't be concerned about not gaining too much. I always put on a bunch of weight right around months 4-5 and then it slows way down for me. But it's different for everyone, and some women gain a lot in the third trimester. I use this chart to see where I am, but obviously, it goes up steadily. The only really concerning thing with weight is if you put on a ton (like 5 pounds) in a very short amount of time. That's an indication that you are retaining water and/or I think it's a sign of diabetes. 

https://www.calculator.net/pregnancy-weight-gain-calculator.html
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • Options
    Re: weight gain - everyone is different and it depends on where you start. starting at 18 weeks my OB told me to expect to gain about a pound a week, but between 18 and 20 weeks i didn't gain anything. Belly is still growing and OB was happy with how baby is looking.  I just listen to my hunger and try to feed my body well and move in a way that feels good and just trust that my body will do what it needs.  with my first i tended to gain more unevenly but it always averaged out. 
  • Options
    @blf2072 I’ve done a lot of research - I want a crib that’s greenguard certified and solid wood (no MDF), ideally made outside of Asia. Romina is a great brand though I am hesitant ordering from that part of the world now. Pottery barn Kendall crib is a great mainstream option…I’m still not sure!