May 2022 Moms

The Great Big Name Thread

Re: The Great Big Name Thread

• It’s so fun to see lots of us selecting names! I love it!!
  • annashaf said:
    It’s so fun to see lots of us selecting names! I love it!!
    This!!! Y’all are motivating me!! 😂😂

• Loading the player...
  • Would appreciate some input on this- 

my sister is Jamie and her son has a MIDDLE name of James. 

We want to name our son James (first name). Just because we like it. 

Is that weird? We live near each other but one day my son will grow up and have his own life and family and friends… I don’t think anyone will ever notice or remember that his cousin has the middle name James or his aunt has a similar name. 

But be honest, is it weird for me to do that? Am I “stealing” the name? 
  • @brookejay06 I have the same middle name as my mother, aunt, and grandmother. Unless his cousin goes by his middle name I don’t think it matters! I wouldn’t call it stealing! James is also a very traditional, classic name (ironically also a family name for us too! We have 3 generations of James that ended with us lol) so I don’t think anyone would bat an eye. 
  • @brookejay06 I don’t think it’s weird at all. James is a strong very classic name and I’d never see it as “stealing”. 

• @brookejay06 I don’t think it’s weird, especially since that’s your nephew’s middle name. It’s not like you all would be calling them both James! I love that name btw, so classic. 
  • @brookejay06 not stealing or weird IMO. I have a cousin named Christopher Joseph and another cousin named Joseph Christopher. I don’t even think they realized until they were teenagers lol
  • @brookejay06 not weird at all! I love that name, and maybe it could be nice to have another family connection!
  • Thank you everyone for the input!!! That really helps a lot.
    and maybe we’re starting a “family name”?! It has to start somewhere haha 
  • @brookejay06 that was my thought!!
  • We are so stuck for our girl’s middle name! Our son’s name is Truett Lane for reference.

We love the first name Taya, bonus points if the middle name starts with an L!
  • @brookejay06 not weird at all!! 
  • We are still with Baby No Name. 28 weeks and I'm starting to panic. 
  • And846 said:
    We are still with Baby No Name. 28 weeks and I'm starting to panic. 
    SAME. 

• Oh same. We likely won't have a name until babe is born. My MIL was asking about names and I usually don't share in advance but I was like, ah well I'll float a couple. I was like, we've been thinking about Oswald, calling him Ozzy. She stops dead in her tracks (we were on a walk) and goes "isn't that a serial killer name" and I was like....well not that I know of but I guess I'll have to check. She text me later to remind me that "Lee Harvey Oswald assassinated president Kennedy".

So I guess that one's out.
  • @jandawg ugh. 🙄🙄

• @jandawg but like no one our age is going to make that association 😩
  • @jandawg When I think Oswald I just remember the cartoon on nick jr of the Octopus with a pet hotdog/weenie dog. Not a serial killer. Plus our kids wouldn't make either connection, honestly! I think Oswald is adorable and I LOVE the nickname Ozzy! 

• @jendawg Yes when I hear Oswald I think of the octopus too! I say you keep it on your list!!
    Married 11.12.11
    JB 08.02.13 
    EC 12.11.15
    GE 04.04.19
    #4 & #5 due 05.05.22
  • Thanks for the encouragement folks! So good to hear. I swear I'm working on an actual shortlist to post here one of these days.
  • We are debating between three names for our little girl. We have a son named Watson and we can’t decide what name matches his best. Our choices are:

Maude
    Louie
    Ruby
  • Well we had decided (begrudgingly on my part) on Theodora Anne for Baby A... until my MIL (who I do not like) wrote on my FB, "hoping for a name with at least an Ann in it!" ... now I want to change it to spite her 🤣 (Both our moms & sisters have Ann as a MN)
    Married 11.12.11
    JB 08.02.13 
    EC 12.11.15
    GE 04.04.19
    #4 & #5 due 05.05.22
  • @jackdetroit one of the reasons we're not doing middle names is because all parents wanted their name to be it, so we took the simple way out 🤣
  • @jackdetroit don’t you love when relatives act like that! 🙄😆

• I could use some boy name ideas please! I’m announcing it at my shower in a month so it’s crunch time lol. I have a list of ideas but nothing is really lighting me up. My daughters name is Leona Wren. So I’d like it to kind of go with that.
    Middle names we like: Robin (to go with my daughters middle name) or William for my grandpa. But I’m open to anything

Note: my husband works at a jail so he has vetoed a lot of names because he knows an inmate with the name so that’s one hurdle. (Barret, Dawes, Elijah Austin to name a few)

A name we like right now is Rowen Mackenzie William. I’m worried that Rowen is gaining too much popularity and we don’t want something super popular. We like Mackenzie but obviously it’s mostly used for girls.
    Some other names we like:

Ronan
    Rigby
    Mazlo
    Matias (ma-Ty-us)
    Jonas
    Dawson
    Truett

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
  • @waterlillian16 I actually know two men named Mackenzie. One goes by Mac and the other by Mackey. I think it's totally doable (as I'm giving both of my girl twins traditionally male names). 
    Married 11.12.11
    JB 08.02.13 
    EC 12.11.15
    GE 04.04.19
    #4 & #5 due 05.05.22
  • @jackdetroit
    Thank you! I’ve only known girls with the name. It’s definitely in my top 5.
  • @waterlillian16 love your name options especially Rigby and I also know some male Mackenzies. Love Rowen, and I think Ronan is a good less popular choice.

Other bird names - Drake, Lark, Phoenix, Jay

Emmett, Dayton, Julius come to mind reading your list.
  • @jandawg
    Thank you especially for the other bird names! Now the wheels are turning 🤔
  • jandawgjandawg member
    edited February 2022
    Ok, hoping for some feedback! Finally winnowed down the list (a bit).
    Baxter
    Edgar
    Emerson
    Finley
    Larkin
    Remy
    Vaughan
    Xavier
    Middle name Irvine.  Last name sounds like "shocked".
    Some flyers I haven't quite cut from the list yet:
    Oswald, Oberon, Oscar, Axel, Archer
  • @jandawg I like..

Remy Irvine 
    Finley Irvine (Fin?)
    Emerson Irvine 
  • @jandawg I like Finley, Remy, Larkin, and Archer! 
  • @jandawg I like 
    Finley Irvine
    Remy Irvine
    Vaughan Irvine
    Emerson Irvine 

• @jandawg I really like Vaughn! I’ve known too many people with dogs named Finley (even though it’s getting really popular where I am) to consider it for kids myself, but I’ve always loved the NN Fin
  • @jandawg I also like Vaughn! I like "Fin" instead of Finely, and my SIL dog is named Remy so Its hard for me to associate it with a baby lol. 
    I also like Oswald!
  • @jandawg i love Emerson! 
  • @jandawg I like Emerson too! And I also really like Baxter :)
  • @jandawg I like several names on your list, but I think I like Emerson Irvine the most together!