April 2022 Moms

Weekly Check-In Week of 1/24

2»

Re: Weekly Check-In Week of 1/24

• @dinomeetsjedi FTM too so no experience with baby clothes but my MIL was just telling me this week that her niece's and my SIL's kids both had allergic reactions to Dreft (which I had never heard of until starting to get all of these targeted ads from Target...). I wash all of our clothes aside from undies on warm with Woolite and dry on low heat ... I figure if the baby clothes can't survive that then as @aloha_mama said then they're not worth keeping.
  • @dinomeetsjedi we wash in a free & clear detergent for all of our clothes/towels/sheets. we also use dryer balls, but do have a box of unscented dryer sheets. in the beginning we washed the baby stuff separately, but he also had a lot of things. between clothing changes, swaddles, bibs and burp cloths it was enough for a full load. we would sometimes wash my stuff with his. now it all gets thrown together. 

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you all, that is good to know. My philosophy for most laundry is to just throw it all in together and hope for the best (my mother would be appalled that I don't separate lights and darks) but I also don't want to ruin all the baby clothes we just got, even if they are mostly hand me downs.
  • @dinomeetsjedi another one here for putting it all in together-but I also tend to wash everything but sheets and towels on warm water wash/low heat dry because I assume all things will shrink, lol. 

That being said I used to use the bougie no chemical stuff but my kids are messy af and now I use Tide Super Sport Extra Stain Release We Don't EFF Around, and both kiddos have been really sensitive in the past as babies, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to wash the baby clothes in that, lol. 
  • I think for the first few washes on baby clothes I would separate light/dark just because I didn't want a brand new red shirt ruining everything else. But after a bunch of washes I only ever did one load of baby clothes. I don't combine with ours because I don't want to try and pick all the little socks out of my pant legs for hours. I also switch to free and clear detergent and then add the scent beads for just ours when we wash. But that's pretty much it.

I do also have the laundry sanitizer now (I didn't last time) that I will probably use on really gross blow outs.
  • @Blondesweety444 Do.... Do babies need socks?
  • @aloha_mama I don't want to wear socks (or shoes honestly), I don't know why a baby would. Plus my adult size socks get lost in the rim of the washer, I can only imagine what happens to baby socks. I appreciate your FFC, haha
  • If you mix baby clothes with adult or other children's clothes then I would suggest getting a laundry bag to keep them separated. It's not fun digging to find new born clothes in your normal clothes. Those tiny things can really hide.

Babies need socks if it's cold. They are used to being in 98 degrees (your body) so they get cold easier in the beginning.
  • I was just wondering the other day about how I would ever get a full load of laundry wit tiny little clothes! So that was helpful to read haha 

I'm a bit late on this but...

Estimated due date/ weeks + days:
    4/14 - 29+2days

FTM/STM/TTM+: FTM

Team blue/pink/green: pink 💖

Upcoming appointments: Last US with MFM on Wednesday 2/2.

How are you feeling? Having more aches/ random pains, got a second yeast infection, and the heartburn is still unreal but overall feeling good and super grateful to be this far along without any major complications! 

Rants/raves: We're doing a woodland theme for the nursery (sorta with plant prints and colorful stuff to so it's a mix) and I just got the cutest fox storage bin from Aldi for $35!! I saw the exact same one at Pottery Barn kids for $100 and thought I'd never pay that much for a basket. I love Aldi. 

Questions: Not ATM
  • @Blondesweety444 your story made me laugh. I see what you're saying, but he does have pretty cute little feet in that picture.
  • @Blondesweety444 those toes do look super weird- but adorable! 

Sidenote, I also hate newborn socks so I spend an obscene amount on Zutano snap booties. Those and footed pants and pajamas because it's always cold in our house. 
  • Haha DS5 definitely got my husbands feet  :D Its just one of those things where everytime I see the picture I'm like if only I would have put some little socks on him or something. I doubt it would have really improved the picture though, it wasn't a super good one. But it just weird things like this that make life harder than it needs to be sometimes!
  • Fragrance is a top 3 skin allergen (along with nickel and ppd, which is a dye), so we use free and gentle detergents since any eczema will increase the likelihood for skin allergies. We use a free and gentle fabric softener overall as a family, but I don't wash baby's clothes/sheets with it. 
  • @doxiemoxie212 what brand fabric softener do you use? I haven't used one in over a decade bc of the fragrances in most. 

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• @Avrilmai I use Tide Free & Gentle, Downy Free & Gentle and Bounce Free & Gentle. They're all part of the P&G brand lineup, and I worked with their scientists and dermatologists for years. There are actually some pretty good studies on unscented fabric softener softening fabrics to make them more tolerable for eczematic skin, which we all have over here, so I'm all about it. Plus the dryer sheets actually repel allergens which is helpful for this allergy nightmare family lol.