May 2022 Moms
Options

Covid Thread

b_1029b_1029 member
edited January 2022 in May 2022 Moms
Here’s the place to put all your questions, fears, etc on all things Covid. We all know we will still be dealing with this in May and beyond, might as well create a dedicated space!

** this is not the place to have political debates about mandates or vaccines. Keep it civil, please :) 

Re: Covid Thread

• Options
    @b_1029 it’s totally valid to rant about it, not stupid at all. I CAN NOT imagine going through pregnancy as a FTM during all this Rona crap!!! It’s hard because pregnancy is something many women think about/envision/dream about their whole lives and to have everything ground to a super complete halt and completely flipped every which way but normal is a LOT to have to contend with, especially being all the “firsts” you experience with a pregnancy! It’s not fair and I completely feel for you and all the other pandemic mamas in our little group. 💜💜💜

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @b_1029 I second what Lalabug said. It’s so completely valid to be upset about it and to voice that. Having a new baby is stressful enough - doing it in the midst of unprecedented and unpredictable times would be incredibly difficult and anxiety inducing. No one has a road map for how to do parenting and motherhood and postpartum and pregnancy through a pandemic. You WERE screwed out of a celebratory and typical pregnancy last time. 

I hope you can express this and be heard and received by your close friends/family. You should be celebrated and put on a pedestal for second baby, if that would make you feel seen and special! 
  • Options
    @b_1029 sending you hugs, I think it’s completely valid to feel that way. ❤️
  • Options
    @b_1029 you're totally justified in your feelings. ❤️ 
  • Options
    @b_1029 that’s totally fair. Others may not understand or have had things “worse”, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have feelings and emotions about your personal experiences too!

I haven’t had a covid pregnancy before, but my second daughter was born in March 2020, less than a week before everything around us went into lockdown. So my parents and siblings DID see her at 2 & 3 days old, but then we went over 4 months without seeing anyone. My in-laws only met her at 6 months old. I had imagined a beautiful mat leave of social activities with friends who were still on mat leave, a mommy fitness group that I had LOVED after having my first baby, regular visits to my parents’, both for them to spend time with my littles, but also for me to lounge by their pool enjoying a summer out of the office. I got NONE of that. My firstborn was supposed to be in daycare part-time so I’d have one-on-one time with the new baby, while also enjoying some time with her home with us too. Daycares were shut down or I felt it too risky and selfish a decision to enroll her while I was just “sitting at home”. And then at 6-months pp, while still on mat leave, I got laid off. Needless to say my mat leave was stressful, lonely and I felt totally robbed of the joyful time it was supposed to be. And nobody understood. Everyone was dealing with their own stuff and I didn’t have it that bad, right? 2 healthy girls, secured EI, and it wasn’t my first, after all. But it was HARD! And I really needed support from friends and family, that I didn’t/couldn’t get. For me personally, I couldn’t let that be my last baby. It didn’t sit right. It was a main driver in me pushing to have a third (I’ve always wanted 3, but my hubby was quite content to stop at 2). I need a do-over. Not of my baby, but of my time.
  • Options
    @annashaf oh man, that is a rough maternity leave. I don’t blame you for wanting a do over. 
  • Options
    @annashaf I completely understand. ❤️ I had a sh*t maternity leave as well. Not for covid, but very similar in that it was kind of isolating (had to be careful where we brought DD) and extremely stressful and I don't even know what a normal maternity leave is like at this point. 
  • Options
    My son (3.5, unvaxxed) had a direct exposure yesterday at his preschool yesterday so if anyone needs me we’ll be quarantining the entire week. Which, since it’s 26* outside, doesn’t seem that bad…. 
  • Options
    @tacosandtums oh no! Fingers crossed he doesn't get it! DD has been lucky so far and not managed to get it despite a couple cases in her age group. 
  • Options
    Oh no @tacosandtums!! FX y’all stay well!! 

My friend(who had a 2020 pandemic baby also) was just telling me the other day about how they had gotten the expensive very nice stroller system with matching car seat and that when they actually started using it her daughter just HATED it. It finally dawned on them - she probably hated it because they literally NEVER got to use the stroller because they basically never went anywhere! Stupid Rona. 

• Options
    @MrsLaLaBug that’s how my daughter was with the carrier. I’d take her on walks around the neighborhood in the stroller but other than that, we didn’t really go anywhere. The few times I tried putting her in the carrier past the newborn stage she was like wtf???? 
  • Options
    @b_1029 totally valid ranting! I obviously knew what I was getting into by trying in 2021, but it still sucks to have this extra anxiety on top of normal FTM fears. I really struggle with how to handle it with a newborn. I've been very cautious myself and struggle with how I'm going to handle everything COVID exposure-related once LO is born.

@tacosandtums FX that your family stays negative!!!
  • Options
    Just chiming in to say totally valid about the ranting and feel frustrated that the experience was not what you were expecting. My son was 3 months old at the start of the pandemic and my mat leave was nothing like I imagined and it's been so stressful not being able to do 'normal' things and activities. I cherish the few weeks I had going to the baby group my midwives hosted and grabbing coffee with other moms and I'm grateful I got to do that a couple times before being so isolated for the next 2 years.
  • Options
    Hey ladies, where have y’all been finding your at-home tests if you have any? My pharmacist has been out for WEEKS and the Walgreens here all have the big easels out front that always say “no home tests available”. I’ve never ordered them from Amazon bc I’ve always wondered if they’re like, GOOD? If that makes sense? Last time I had any on hand here at home was around Thanksgiving - but I feel like with the surges going on I need to try and find some more just in case the inevitable happens. I have several events coming up with my krewe before my parade rolls and obviously being in the last half of pregnancy don’t want to be ill if I can help it. Plus the kids at school are dropping like flies so I’d like to be prepared with home tests if I can. 

• Options
    @MrsLaLaBug lol I have no idea where to find any right now. I'm going to start checking CVS every so often and grab a couple, just in case. At least for DD, her pedi just sends the request through the hospital drive thru system or we go in office so we've never had an issue with her getting a PCR test same day. 
  • Options
    @MrsLaLaBug I was having good luck finding them from Sam’s Club but they are out now. Occasionally one of my several local Walmarts will have them in stock. It’s easy to check availability on the app to save you a trip. 
  • Options
    @MrsLaLaBug I ordered them online — but it takes like 2+ weeks to ship. They are out everywhere here too. The pharmacy man says they are sold out within 15 minutes of getting a new shipment. 😱
  • Options
    @coffeemamaaaaa yes my pharmacist too!! Sold out in like zero time every time he gets them. And he is the NICEST guy in the world and honestly I bet if I pulled the pregnant card he might hold ONE box for me(2 tests) but the way things are I just can’t bring myself to ask him bc I feel like that’s selfish. 😂

• Options
    @MrsLaLaBug so those tests I ordered online a couple days ago that were supposed to ship in a couple weeks are now coming Saturday! Just fyi seems like shipping times may be less than expected if you go that route. 

PS- pharmacist is totally the word I meant when I typed “pharmacy man”. Pregnancy brain 🙄
  • Options
    I have 6 rapid tests because we had planned to go on a cruise later this month (laugh out loud) so I ordered them from this online pharmacy. Of course now that I have them I probably won’t need them. 
  • Options
    How are all our Rona mamas feeling this weekend?? My throat just started to feel funny today so of course I’m FTFO 😬😫

• Options
    My throat too! But i think it’s due to weather and post nasal - i have pretty sensitive sinus’
  • Options
    @And846 that’s exactly what my husband said. With the way the weather has been so crazy, heater on, heater off, rain, etc. 
    My sinuses are just plain angry. Lol

• Options
    @MrsLaLaBug noooo I hope it’s not the Rona. With this weather all over the place who knows. 
    I still have some residual congestion/cough but nothing terrible. Still not sleeping well at all but I mean what else is new at this point lol 
  • Options
    Well, Covid is running wild around DDs daycare but her class is not shut down yet. A few families we know there have the Rona and DD had a cough and runny nose over the weekend but fine now. Of course her coughing in my face has me now with a runny nose, cough and post nasal drip. 

I’m fairly certain it’s not Covid but getting tested tomorrow with the earliest appt i could get. The Google rabbit hole of pregnancy, Covid and stillbirth made me do it 🥴
  • Options
    @And846 oh man, I hope you feel better soon and its not covid!
  • Options
    Well, DH tested positive this morning so I’m just assuming it’s a matter of time for me 😩 we’ve had so many exposures in the past and never got it, and then this week we’ve literally like seen no one and gone nowhere and he gets it now. Plus side is he still has his taste/smell so I’m hoping it’s omicron and he’ll clear up quickly
  • Options
    @skc040512 oh no!  Hydrate up now with some water and OJ! 
  • Options
    Positive here!  Im on day 5 and think I’m past the worst of it!  Husband however is testing today but given that I’m positive and his symptoms I have no doubts. 
  • Options
    Ahhhh so sorry for all of you testing positive and going through this! I hate omicron!
  • Options
    Thank you all for sharing your COVID stories and I'm sirry for the rough times many if you have gone through. I'm becoming very nervous about the rest of pregnancy and having a new born with the rise in COVID causing so many uncertainties. This is our first baby and I'm trying to make everything special and the way I always imagined, but it's difficult with all the changes. 

Unfortunately, DH tested positive 2 days ago and I tested positive yesterday. We are symptomatic but luckily I have not ran a fever so far. Contacted OB and they said to just stay home, rest and push fluids. They also said if I have high fever or can't keep food / liauids down for 24 hours to go to the ER. Thankfully I'm clear of those so far!
  • Options
    Oh no, sorry everyone's getting hit hard this week! Speedy recoveries all around! 🤞
  • Options
    I wish we could all stay in a wellness bubble until the end! 💜💜 

• Options
    Ugh so sorry for all of you that have tested positive this week. Sending you all healing thoughts 💜
  • Options
    Officially tested positive this morning. Whomp whomp. Good news is DH is already feeling better, so I’m hoping we’ve just got a mild strain. DS is under the weather too so he’s probably got it. My parents (who got over it about 2 weeks ago) picked up DD1&2 so hopefully they’ll avoid getting sick. This may be a UO but I’m honestly relieved to have it now and take off some of the stress of potentially testing positive right before delivery. 
  • Options
    Ugh I’m sorry for everyone who has tested positive / is sick in general. I agree that I’d rather get it now than leading up to delivery! I was so nervous last time I’d get it and have to be masked the entire time. 
  • Options
    Ughhh @skc040512 I’m sorry!! FX for a very mild case!!!