Trouble TTC
Options

Male Testing-worth it?

So far Chlomid 100 is not working for me (no follicles).  I go back Friday and if nothing, again Tuesday. If still nothing he to move on to IUI. 

However I have a question about semen analysis. My husband did one when we first started trying last year.  However, he did it at home and brought it straight ot the hospital.  It said there was slightly low mobility and slightly low count.  However, my doctor said that hospitals don't always do a great job of analyzing it. And that if he wanted to go to one of the better labs he would give us a script.  Which he did. But it costs a fortune.  Insurance does not cover either of these labs and its between 400-500.  I know we will encounter many more bills along the way but this is getting unreal. I go almost every 2-3 days and have to pay for everything they do (visit, blood, ultra).  I mean the insurance companies are ridiculous! (OKAY, end of my rant).

So my questions is, should we bother going to do the semen analysis (spending $400) so that we can do shots and timed intercourse or should we just go straight to IUI.  I really wanted to go the intercourse route. I know its probably dumb of me, but I just wanted it to be somewhat "natural." Although I know I am definitley the problem because I am not ovulating at all.  Just felt like if he was part of the problem to rule it out. Although, even if he is I may end up doing IUI or IVF...... Just confused and exhausted from the emotional roller coaster......

Thoughts? As always thanks for the support.
2001 diagnosed with pit tumor-surgery, radiation
Conditions: Acromegly (controlled), colitis (controlled)
2/2014 met with RE and High Risk doc
5/2014 stop BC, TTC naturally
Never got period or ovulated
12/2014 provera (very little shedding), chlomid 50mg -No follicles growing/no ovulation
1/2015 chlomid 100mg -so far no follicles growing
1/20/15- nothing growing-staring Menopur injections for IUI

Re: Male Testing-worth it?

• Options
    If I were in your situation I would be more focused on the clomid being ineffective. I kinda feel like if I weren't ovulating, it doesn't really matter the quality of SO's SA. Is this your first cycle on clomid? I've heard of doctors adjusting clomid strength mid cycle so if your still fairly early on maybe your doctor will consider that in the future? Good luck either way!
  • Options
    I never get my period.  Have had some pituitary issues, so I was on BC pills for years and when I went off I never got my period.  They tried pushing a period with Provera and I barely got one.  I did Chlomid 50 then went up to 100. No follicles yet.  Thanks for your reply.
    12/2014 provera (very little shedding), chlomid 50mg -No follicles growing/no ovulation
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I really would get the SA. It will tell you if TI is even an option. MH has low motility and low morph and we were told that our chances with TI were slim to none (something stupid like 1%). What kind of doctor are you seeing an RE or an OB? We had the SA done through the clinic our RE is located in and it was only $150. I'd check into other options besides the hospital. 
  • Options
    My humble opinion, if the numbers were initially low, I'd suggest forking over the cash for a 2nd run - especially if the confidence in the lab interpretation is questionable. Could there be an alternative lab your doc trusts that isn't so expensive? I'm so sorry the Clomid isn't working yet, but you really want the full picture. If his counts have improved (or the new lab interprets they've improved), awesome! If they're the same or worse, you have all the information to make an informed decision on treatment. It sucks that it's so expensive but you also don't want to waste money on unsuccessful treatments if new results could mean different treatment.

Me: 28  MH:35

Married September 2012. TTC since September 2013

June 2014 - Dx w/ significant PCOS and referred to RE.

July/August 2014 - Testing complete: Testosterone & AMH very high, FSH slightly high, Vitamin D low, tubes and lining all lovely. DH SA: A+

Cycle 1 (Nov 2014): 2.5 mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI = BFN

Cycle 2 (Dec 2014): 5 mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI - BFN

Cycle 3 (Jan 2015): 5mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI - BFN

WTF consult scheduled for 1/29

• Options
    Do you think a GYN can prescribe a semen analysis? Or maybe his doctor so he can go to a lab that takes insurance?  We just have been spending so much and I feel like we aren't even to IVF yet.... And honestly, he really doesn't want to do it again. It's "uncomfortable."  I won't even go in to what my response for that was :-) MEN
  • Options
    Emy426 said:

Do you think a GYN can prescribe a semen analysis? Or maybe his doctor so he can go to a lab that takes insurance?  We just have been spending so much and I feel like we aren't even to IVF yet.... And honestly, he really doesn't want to do it again. It's "uncomfortable."  I won't even go in to what my response for that was :-) MEN

-------anticipating mobile quote fail------

Typically the SA can be done through an ob or his doctor. Just make sure your doctor will accept those results. I think other ladies here have done it that way to help with costs.

Me: 28  MH:35

Married September 2012. TTC since September 2013

June 2014 - Dx w/ significant PCOS and referred to RE.

July/August 2014 - Testing complete: Testosterone & AMH very high, FSH slightly high, Vitamin D low, tubes and lining all lovely. DH SA: A+

Cycle 1 (Nov 2014): 2.5 mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI = BFN

Cycle 2 (Dec 2014): 5 mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI - BFN

Cycle 3 (Jan 2015): 5mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI - BFN

WTF consult scheduled for 1/29

• Options
    Emy426 said:
    Yes, they for sure can. My OBGYN sent the first script for the SA as we had it done before our first visit with RE (so technically we were not his patients yet and he could not do the script). I totally get that it's uncomfortable, but he could have it worse by having to do all the stuff you have to do! He only has to make it in the cup!
  • Options
    Get the SA. My husband didn't want to do it... and this whole time I thought it was ME with the problem. Turns out he has severe MFI....and we could have saved a whole lot of time if he had just gotten the test earlier. Good luck!
  • Options
    MH got an SA and repeat SA at a urologist's office...it wasn't that expensive even before insurance (I think $160 each time).

Unmonitored Clomid is dangerous, and OB's who feel the need to mess around with treatments that way are too. I highly recommend seeing an RE who can address your hormone panel better.
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • Options
    Thanks. I am seeing an RE. Who monitors regularly. Just so expensive. Thanks all!
  • Options
    I will agree to get the SA done. Would your H go to a urologist? Ours does it right in his office. Our RE referred us. And although he had one SA done, things can change. MH's numbers changed in just a matter of 2 months.
    Me: 40  
    TTC #1: 3 years
    Me: Type II Diabetic
    Started with RE 11/2014
    Going through IUI with Donor Sperm

• Options
    He said I would do 9 days of injections with monitoring then insemmination. Sound about right? PS just spoke to MH think he'll be calling for SA tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    Hi all. As an update. I called my RE and he said that we can hold off on SE.  Either way it isn't going to change our next steps of IUI.  He also said that in order to do IVF my insurance will make him do two. And if there is abnormalities he would have to do another test that is not covered under insurance and is near $2500. 

LORD!  Why would they put such a financial burden on people who want to be parents. :-(

I go back tomorrow and my fingers are crossed that in the last two days my follicles are GROWING! Fingers crossed or me please
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"