April 2022 Moms

July Randoms

Have something random to say or ask? Post it here!

I figure until we have a few more people on the board, I’ll personally hold back from posting all of the weekly threads.

Re: July Randoms

• I thought I’d get the chatter started! Feel free to post weekly threads yourself.

@winterviolethope re: your reply on Introductions. Uggh. I see how camp would be fresh on your mind. I’m personally a fan of “Grandparent Camp” myself because I have really fond memories of spending summer weeks with my own grandparents, but our parents are either still working full time themselves or are trying not to get their identities wrapped up in being ‘free daycare’ for their grandchildren during their golden years. Currently going through a thing with my MIL who feels left out of DD’s life when we hire a babysitter, but feels burdened when we ask her to watch DD.
  • @loveanddatadriven I totally feel you! My parents moved to be within a 5 min drive of us but my mom runs her own business and what started as watching my kids 3x/week dwindled to 2 then 1. She feels really guilty but I get it. It’s just different with our generation. My grandma watched me every single day because she was a stay-at-home mom. My mom is a legit workaholic. She wants to do what her mom did for her but she also has her own career. She helps in other ways though too —paying for the daycare she added back into their schedules so she could focus on her business. I may go the nanny route this time around - it may be more economical than paying for 2 daycares and after school program
    Me: 36 DH: 36
    Married: October 2011
    DS: January 2016
    DS: May 2019
    #3: April 2022
  • Loading the player...
  • @winterviolethope definitely need to come back to the nanny vs daycare vs family care chat at some point. I have so many opinions because we've tried it all! I feel you on the generational shift, and we all feel the love our parents send to us and our DD, even when it's not in the form of full-time childcare.  :)

I'll be out in the woods backpacking through Sunday starting tomorrow, which I'm really looking forward to, so I will not be posting anything. I hope when I come back this board has more intros!

*TW fear of loss

I'm still pretty anxious about how early my testing is, so I'll be bringing my AF supplies into the woods. Really hope I don't need them. Don't know if I could deal with loss on a trip full of strangers and without MH.

• @loveanddatadriven sending all the positive vibes your way! Have a great trip and try not
    to worry!! 
  • @loveanddatadriven, all that dread of having to use them in the woods! Have a great trip! 

I now have to decide what I want to do as far as going back to the office vs working from home. I like working from home, so this may be the thing I needed to push it to be official. Professionally I wonder if it would be better for me to go to the office. We still have a few weeks to decide, but it’s been weighing on my mind! 
  • Guys- I am effing EXHAUSTED. Like dying over here. Just ready to be in that second tri bliss already 
  • @kiwi2628 hopefully you're able to get a solid nights sleep! I'm tired too, but I think mine is because I didn't have my morning pop today! Hopefully I'm able to stay away from it for the most part during this pregnancy! I'm regretting not enjoying my pop yesterday more!
  • edited July 2021
    Hi friends! 

We’re going to Hawaii in 2 weeks so hoping I don’t feel like trash by then!

@loveanddatadriven I hope you have a nice hike and are able to not worry too much!
  • kiwi2628 said:
    Just got my beta back- 260! I go in on Wednesday for another blood draw and if that looks good first ultrasound is probably the 9th or so!
    Finger crossed for you!! 🤞🏻
  • @sammygirl18 So happy to see you here!
    @kiwi2628 Sorry you're feeling exhausted. First tri exhaustion is no joke, and I'm not looking forward to that train crash. And so happy for your beta!
    @Blondesweety444 Hawaii sounds super fun! FX your symptoms are mild.

I'm back! All's good and my HPTs are darker now. On my backpacking trip our trip leader announced we would be treating backcountry water with bleach to make it safe, and she seemed super proud of her system because the bleach weighed less than a water filter made for decontaminating water. I raised my hand and was like "I'm not drinking bleach water made with bleach you bought from the cleaning aisle of Walmart using a homemade dropper that dispenses a variable amount of bleach with each squeeze." (I actually said, "I'd rather boil my water." :p ) Fortunately, there was enough fuel for me to boil all of my water for the weekend.

First appointment is August 27!
  • Omg sanitizing water with bleach 😳 that can’t be safe!!!! Glad you were able to use other methods!
  • @loveanddatadriven, bleached water doesn't sound appetizing at all! I'm glad you were able to boil water!
  • *lurking from March BMB*
    @loveanddatadriven I sometimes sanitized my water with bleach when I was in the peace corps and we’d mix it with Tang to mask the smell. It was NOT GOOD and I cannot fathom gagging it down pregnant. Glad you could boil it instead! 
  • @Blondesweety444 @sammygirl18 @rachelredhead Yes! Haha. The CDC does provide instructions for using bleach to decontaminate water in an emergency, and I could totally see using it on a Peace Corps mission. It’s actually a pretty good idea. But for a planned backpacking trip, there are just much better options: backcountry water physical purifiers (intense filters and pumps), measured chemical treatment designed for human consumption (Aquatabs), and boiling water.
  • @loveanddatadriven I had no idea there was a safe way to use bleach to clean water. But yes totally agree there's a time and a place for using that method and a planned backpacking trip isn't one of those!
  • Anyone get beta tests done yet? @kiwi2628 how did your second draw go?

I got my first draw today and it was 78 which they said was a bit low. But could be explained by how early I still am (11 DPO at the time of the draw).

• @Blondesweety444, I’m 131 at 13dpo, so likely would have been around where you are two days prior. They never mentioned anything about it being low. I think it’s more important to compare the two numbers since there’s such a wide variety in them. 
  • How do people get beta tests done? At their regular doctor? My ob won’t see me until 8 weeks :(
  • @winterviolethope If you've had losses before your OB is usually willing to order betas. If you've worked with an RE to get pregnant they usually do betas as a standard part of care.

• @winterviolethope you would just ask your OB if they will do a Beta test for you. I see MFM (Maternal Fetal Medicine) because I'm high risk . She had no issues when I asked if I could do a Beta test.

@sammygirl18 I was a little surprised when she mentioned it was low. With my son I was 105 at 14 DPO. But I think I just got the beta done really early this time. Next draw is today and I'm hopeful the number would have doubled. I took another pregnancy test this morning and the line was significantly darker.
  • kiwi2628kiwi2628 member
    edited July 2021
    @winterviolethope generally people are getting betas because they have had things go wrong in the past. I know it’s easy to be jealous of other peoples first looks and early testing, but be happy you don’t need it. Most OBs don’t see you until 8-10 weeks. 

@Blondesweety444  I had my second beta yesterday! First one at 9dp5dt was 260 and second at 11dp5dt was 560!

• edited July 2021
    @winterviolethope I’m not getting betas done either, and my OB won’t see me until 8 weeks. (Edited when I’ll be seen because apparently I can’t count weeks)
    @Blondesweety444 Fx for you!
    @kiwi2628 Hooray!

I just bought a Peakaboo gender blood test (test @ 7 weeks) to satisfy my insatiable curiosity to know more, with the understanding that the accuracy of the test is probably less than what it says on the package with typical use. I’m considering getting SneakPeak, too (test @ 8 weeks). It’s crazy that I could have a fairly accurate hunch about the sex of the baby before I even see a doctor.
  • @loveanddatadriven I didn't know those existed!! I might have to pick one up as well. But I might wait until after my first ultrasound. I'm nervous about getting attached too early.
  • Thanks for explaining about the betas everyone! I appreciate it and wish you all the best of luck!

I had no idea about the gender test either... googling now!
  • @loveanddatadriven I just bought the peekaboo after I saw your post! So excited. Since you are data driven lol... do you know anything about the accuracy if you’ve had male pregnancies before? I have two boys ... could their dna linger messing up the results? Not sure if you know... 
  • @winterviolethope their FAQ mentions that fetal blood is cleared very quickly (in response to a miscarriage) so I would assume its the same for previous pregnancies?

"Clinical studies have shown that fetal DNA clears rapidly from the maternal bloodstream, within 1-2 days. Therefore, a miscarriage will not affect your current test results."
  • @Blondesweety444 thank you! I saw that but for some reason im still skeptical lol

• Lol I hear you! Even then - if you take their 1-2 days and triple it, that's still less than a week!

They did say that contamination from pets could show male DNA, so sounds like anything could easily mess it up!
  • Just a head up on the non-doctor-ordered sex chromosome tests... our friends told us they were having another boy because of one of those tests and then at their anatomy scan had to say oops, it's a girl! lol I mean even a coin flip is right half the time...
  • @doxiemoxie212 Was it the blood test or urine?
  • @doxiemoxie212 womp womp 
  • @winterviolethope @doxiemoxie212 @Blondesweety444 Yup! At home medical technologies are usually less accurate/effective in typical use than they are in clinical trials. (I’m looking at you condoms.) They don’t advertise 100% accuracy so there will be that possibility. I wish they had a follow-up study of typical use. I think the test is probably a lot more accurate than a coin flip, but I wouldn’t buy a bunch of gendered baby supplies. I’ll probably still tell my immediate family with a strong disclaimer. I think of this as entertainment and not legitimate medical information.
  • @loveanddatadriven yeah there are just so many doctor-ordered NIPT tests that can be done early which also test for a variety of chromosomal abnormalities. I did Mat21 at 10 weeks with DD, and I'm glad I did because a different test (I the nuch test? I forget, but one of the standard ones) came back abnormal, and if I hadn't already done NIPT (which came back totally normal and is more accurate that the other test) they'd have recommended an amniocentesis. Plus my insurance covered Mat21 even though I was only 29 (a lot of people will say it's only covered if you're 35+ but that's not always the case). 
  • edited July 2021
    @doxiemoxie212 I got NIPT early last time, too. Insurance didn’t cover it, but I got an awesome manufacturer rebate since it was out of pocket. I will try to get NIPT again this time, but I’m in a different state with different insurance. I didn’t like that my NIPT results were all mixed in with the sex of the baby results. To find out the sex of the baby, I want to find out with a pink or blue bath bomb from Etsy with MH while sipping sparkling coconut water. For chromosomal results, I want to put my reading glasses and serious face on while I read a report about probabilities. Edited to add: such a relief you got the more accurate NIPT first before nuchal translucency!
  • @loveanddatadriven I felt the same way so I asked my OB's office to confirm genetics were healthy and then put the sex results in an envelope. .....And then I gave the envelope to one of our best friends and ended up having to wait THREE WEEKS to find out the sex which I'm not doing again this time lol.
  • @doxiemoxie212 three weeks! I bet that was tough! 

I’ve been thinking about getting sneak peak! Now that I know there’s one that gives it a week earlier I may have to check into it! Although I hate pricking myself, so I may not be able to talk myself into it!
  • It’s Friday! Does anyone have anything fun planned over the weekend? It’s supposed to be nice here, so I’m looking forward to some time outside and going to listen to a band! There is a chance of rain, so hopefully it doesn’t ruin it!
  • I’m currently solo parenting plus puppy sitting for my brother. So I’m going to be exhausted 😂 it’s supposed to rain all weekend so we will probably stay indoors, watch a movie, maybe do some shopping!

also good news! My second beta came back! 78 to 258 in 48 hours which is a good increase! 🎉 for some reason they want to do a 3rd draw so I have another one tomorrow too.