Product Spotlight: Maternity Clothes — The Bump
February 2022 Moms

Product Spotlight: Maternity Clothes

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Re: Product Spotlight: Maternity Clothes

• The bloat is VERY real! I am with you as far as being comfy goes, and the jeans no longer close or feel comfortable. As a FTM I don't have a lot of tips/tricks. I have been getting a lot of use out of my plain black athleisure leggings and wear them under shirts as pants (with a cardigan for work) or dresses for the support (and tbh, so I don't feel quite as bloated).

If anyone has recommendations for a summer-appropriate black dress I can wear to a funeral, I'd love to hear them. Ideally this will be one of those maternity/nursing dresses. I'm going to try some on this weekend and can report back as well!
    [Deleted User]
  • Loading the player...
  • Loading the player...
  • I’m in the market for good maternity jeans. I had some that I loved while pregnant with DS1 and absolutely hated while pregnant with DS2. I usually just wore maternity leggings from Gap, but I had to wear jeans for customer visits. I’m lucky that my company doesn’t have a fancy dress code, so we can wear jeans with no holes and nice shirts. 

I had really good luck with Old Navy, Gap, and Pink Blush last time. Old Navy shirts were comfortable, but they pilled decently fast. The majority of my wardrobe was Pink Blush. 

I’m also in the market for a swimsuit still. We have a conference coming up at a water park, and the swimsuits I have don’t fit right. I could break out my maternity one, but it screams pregnant with all the extra belly space and ruching. I’d rather just seem a little plumper than usual vs letting it out of the bag yet. So any suggestions on that would be greatly appreciated. 
    [Deleted User]
  • @makingbacon are you comfortable in your normal bathing suit? Could you just buy something to go over it?

I need any tips and tricks to cover up the bump as long as possible. I do not want to tell anyone at my work for as long as possible. If I could make it to the day before and not tell them I would lol but I know the bump will give me away especially since Im a petite person to start with.

Also, any recommendations on maternity jeans with long inseams? Im 5'2" but all leg, I usually have to buy long jeans. I have no torso :/

SInce this will be my last pregnancy I am hoping I can make do with what I had from my last pregnancy, which is a lot of plain maternity shirts, maternity sweaters and a few dresses.

I love Thredup but didnt know about them for my first pregnancy so Im planning on snagging some things off of there :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    [Deleted User]
  • @livingoffpbjs cannot confirm whether these work for sure but: being in distracting stuff for as long as possible (chunky sweaters, loud patterns, baggy hoodies, etc) apparently works. the timing should work out well since fall will be here soon enough!
    [Deleted User]
  • @livingoffpbjs It unfortunately doesn’t fit in the chest area anymore. I thought about throwing a shirt on over it, but it’s looking decently scandalous at this point lol. 
    [Deleted User]livingoffpbjschgilmore
  • @makingbacon I have no sympathy for people with boobs lol 
    But maybe just a bigger normal bathing suit? Tankini? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    [Deleted User]fuscok88
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    chgilmore
    chgilmore
  • edited June 17
    chgilmore
  • @BusinessWife you have a good point! I'm looking at a local secondhand shop up here and a different local place to try and avoid the big A if I can...but I'm not totally ruling it out! I've never quite been blessed in the top department but maybe that'll change soon, so not ruling out a V neck. I'd prefer something kinda light/flowy (for eventual spring/summer wear) since the funeral is in southern CA, I like the idea of a wrap that I can dress up/down as needed. Definitely hoping for something versatile. Will definitely be checking out these brands you mentioned!

Here's the dress I'm hoping to try on next Saturday (after first u/s):
    [Deleted User]
    chgilmore
  • @chgilmore I loved this dress when I was pregnant with DD and purchased a bunch of different styles. It also transitioned well to a nursing dress! Not sure if it's great for a funeral but you could add accessories that would dress it up to make it work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MFYCCM3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_0ZEBXQ3NFP1MD24PVJNP?psc=1
    chgilmore[Deleted User]lexilougolden
  • With my last pregnancy I found a few maternity shirts at target that were cute and ended up being good nursing tops too! I don’t know what there selection is like now though. I haven’t looked yet! 
    But this website had a ton of cute dresses that you @BusinessWife might like especially. I had to find something work appropriate so they mostly had shoulders and were a good length. And the quality was super nice. I still have a couple of dresses from them and they look brand new. 

Me 27, DH 30

Married Oct. 5th 2013

DS born Nov. 2017

TTC #2 June 2019

Ectopic late Dec. 2019, 

Rupture and right tube removed Jan 2020.

Clear HSG on left tube

[Deleted User]chgilmore
    photographerwifechgilmore
  • @BusinessWife yeah! They do have cute stuff! They might post more updates on their insta if that’s something you want to keep up with! 

Me 27, DH 30

Married Oct. 5th 2013

DS born Nov. 2017

TTC #2 June 2019

Ectopic late Dec. 2019, 

Clear HSG on left tube

chgilmore
  • edited June 17
    chgilmore
  • fuscok88fuscok88 member
    Wow, I’m learning about so many places to shop this pregnancy😂. With the boys I was still working so needed semi nice office clothes.  I tend to avoid spending a ton of money on maternity clothes unless if can carry over to nursing because you never know how you “bounce back” my hips were definitely wider after DS1 was born so most of those pants didn’t fit for DS2. So I usually go for budget friendly shopping at target, old navy, Ross, online at motherhood maternity/latched mama if they have a good sale. H&M has my absolute FAV nursing tanks that also worked well during pregnancy because they had a lot of length. For bras when I couldn’t fit my normal(non nursing bras) I switch to nursing bras. It was getting close to the end of my pregnancies both times so I didn’t want to spend the money not knowing my size post nursing. After DS1 I went from a solid B to a DD, after DS2 idk. He only weaned in the last couple months and we aren’t allowed to try on bras yet here🙄 and since I like so far from town I refuse to drop a ton of money to take them home to try on and return when doesn’t work so I’m sticking to lounge and sports bras. I love cake nursing bras they are a little spendy at $50ish a bra but well worth it IMO.

@photographerwife I had the opposite experience with stitch fix maternity jeans! They did do a great job finding me jeans PP though. 
    [Deleted User]chgilmoreMurphie82ninrms
  • @livingoffpbjs @BusinessWife I swear the first thing that grows during pregnancy is my boobs. I went up 3-ish sizes with each of my boys by the time I delivered. They deflate after nursing lol. I’ve been looking at tankinis from Athletica. I should just order a few and try them. 

@fuscok88 I’ll have to look at the cake nursing bras. I splurged on a couple Kindred Bravely nursing/pumping bras, and while they were really convenient for pumping while driving, I never felt like that fit 100% right. The sides would gap a bit, but sizing down made the cup size too small. So I just ignored the gap. 
    chgilmore[Deleted User]
    chgilmore
    @BusinessWife yesss! Don’t worry about having the super pretty bring your own labor gown because it will probably get messy during the birth. Use the hospital stuff, unless your at home. TMI? Personally I couldn’t stand things touching me in labor and ended up naked/down to a bra both times. I liked dark colored maternity yoga pants with a nursing tank pp because they weren’t going to stain. I love the idea of a nightgown that unsnaps at the top though! I’ll have to look for something like that! 
    [Deleted User]chgilmoreMurphie822022_ivf_momma
  • I LOVE these suggestions, will definitely be coming back to reference once I get a feel for what I need.

Also question: athletic maternity leggings? right now my lululemon and fabletics ones are fitting perfectly but I know come winter they will not. Ideally the athletic leggings would be on the thicker side since I will need to wear them through, you know, winter.
    [Deleted User]
  • edited June 19
    chgilmore
  • cait32cait32 member
    DSS: March 2006
    DD: July 2017
    DS: February 2019
    BFP #3 TW ended in CP March 2020
    BFP #4 - TW ended in CP August 2020
    BFP #5 - due October 2021
    [Deleted User]fuscok88chgilmore
  • edited June 19
  • cait32cait32 member
    @BusinessWife I have navy and grey from my first pregnancy and got black this time and am tempted by the red lol…but I haven’t seen a lighter pair 
    [Deleted User]
  • edited June 19
  • KatzaliaKatzalia member
    edited June 19
    I have to get a bunch of new maternity stuff because I gave all of mine away. Trying to remember my faves. 

I had some h&m jeans that I liked better than spendier ones. A couple of pairs of pants that were more like colored jeans, from Motherhood, though I found their stuff very hit or miss. I think I still have a leather wrap belt from Seraphine I liked a lot. Gap and h&m tanks and tees for casual. 

I had a stretchy knit reversible midi skirt that was super versatile but of course I passed it on and can’t remember what brand it was. 

I think I’m going to try the zella maternity leggings, I don’t think they had them last time but I love their regular leggings. 

Ymmv, but I hated the dresses that were both nursing + maternity. I had a couple, and they were always last choice for either. 

I loved the nursing + pumping bras from Dairy Fairy.  And Bamboobies nursing bra was awesome for the first few months. 

I don’t know what any other 2+x moms noticed, but I had to size up a half size on shoes during my first pregnancy, and went back down after. I don’t think I did with my second but can’t remember?

I’m sure I’ll think of more later. Looking forward to checking out other recs. 
    [Deleted User]Murphie82
    @cait32 I have those from my last pregnancy! I lived in them when he started getting hot. @BusinessWife I definitely have a khaki pair but I don’t remember if it’s maternity or a sized up women’s pair. Since they’re a low belly and elastic waist I may have just gotten women’s. 
    [Deleted User]
  • edited June 20
    fuscok88
  • cait32cait32 member
    @BusinessWife yeah I mean we all know old navy isn’t doing 100% linen 🤣 but they’re great in the heat if you don’t want to wear shorts (which I mostly find uncomfortable)
    [Deleted User]
  • I spoke about this in the weekly thread. I need opinions. I'm 5'8" and pants can be short on me. I like these maternity pants but am unsure about where they hit me. WDYT? Yay or nay? I won't be offended :)
    Any tall mommas out there that have found long enough pants?

• @lexilougolden I don’t think they’re bad! Maybe put a cuff or two at the bottom and see how you like them. I’m your height too and usually have to buy longs. But I haven’t looked for maternity jeans yet! 

Me 27, DH 30

Married Oct. 5th 2013

DS born Nov. 2017

TTC #2 June 2019

Ectopic late Dec. 2019, 

Clear HSG on left tube

lexilougoldenchgilmore
  • kaf1788kaf1788 member
    I got a pair of the Zella Maternity leggings in the Nordstrom sale and they’re just okay. I think at that price point (like 40ish on sale?) I’d rather either get two pairs of old navy leggings or splurge on a really nice pair of Beyond Yoga maternity leggings.
  • JWatt5JWatt5 member
    All my fav maternity stores closed in the last year. We had Thyme Maternity that was my fav. Motherhood is gone and Gap only sells online now. Thankfully all my maternity stuff seems to fit and I did buy a bit on clearance when Thyme was closing but I have to go looking for a few things again. 

And a coat…last pregnancy I was due in August so I got away with no warm coat. This year being due in February, with a toddler, that’s not going to fly. Kinda hoping I can find one on Facebook Marketplace. 
    Me: 37 DH: 36 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 5BB & 6AB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02/2022

chgilmore
  • @lexilougolden I would say yay on those pants, they hit about where capris hit on me. I agree with @photographerwife about adding a cuff or two at the bottom.

I gave a way 90% of my maternity clothes this past year :( I did save my favorite pair of maternity jeans (Good American), they were a little pricey but sooo worth it, comfy and I wore them post partum for awhile as well. I think I'll try to buy mainly from thrift since it's the last pregnancy. Most of my old stuff was handed down to me anyway so I didn't spend too much on the other 2.

photographerwifelexilougolden