October 2021 Moms

The Great Big Nursery Thread

Let's share some ideas here!

Are you a FTM? Are you a STM(+) mom? What are your plans for the nursery? Are you moving older kiddos to another room? Do you have a theme? A colour palette? 
TTC History

Me: 26 DH: 27

TTC #1 | June '18-August '18 | DD | Born April 21, 2019 | Due May 10, 2019

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

TTC#2 | June '20-February '21 | DS | Due October 27, 2021

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: The Great Big Nursery Thread

• The nesting bug bit this weekend so I started building the nursery furniture that my parents bought. Figured it’s okay to start now since I’ll be teaching summer school this summer and won’t want to do anything by the time summer school is over as I’ll be 3rd trimester pregnant and that’s a big fat Nope.
    TTC History

• Loading the player...
  • TTM and we have never had a nursery for our newborns 🙈

We found out about DS1 less than a month before he was born. His adoption was private and we were connected to his birth mom through mutual people. So we did not have time to turn our then office into a nursery right away and did it slowly as he was in our room for about 8 months anyway. We only have 3 bedrooms and one of them was being used as a dining room. So DS was still in his nursery when DS2 was born. Baby has been in our room still and we just got more space in our basement finished into a dining room. So now the old dining room is empty and ready to turn into big boy room and baby boy will move into nursery. So this baby will also be in our room awhile and then either move into a mini crib with DS2 in the nursery or if DS2 is ready to move up to big boy room baby will get nursery to themself. So it’s always been a process 🤣

our nursery is a neutral Noah’s ark/animal theme. The walls are a light gray, we have a white crib and pale blue dresser/changing table and a skip hop gray cloud playmat on the floor (which I love in lieu of a rug bc it goes perfect with the theme and also is so soft for baby to play on and wipes up so easily!) we have a little people Noah’s ark on the shelf cube organizer we keep clothes and toys and books in and a Noah’s ark comforter draped over the recliner. Both boys have birth announcement samplers that MIL made them with animals on them. So the theme is subtle but cute accents 
  • All the Pintrest themes for boys just weren’t my thing so I found crib sheets I love and worked around those. Still have the dresser to put together today and the bookshelf next week when it arrives, but feeling pretty accomplished today!

DD got moved into what used to be the playroom about a month ago as I didn’t want her to feel like she was getting kicked out of her room to make room for baby brother. I didn’t repaint that room so we went with a tan, chocolate brown, teal theme with flowers. Still don’t have her wall set up yet but she doesn’t notice so it’s fine. 🤣 PS it’s messy right now as it’s mid bedtime routine mayhem. 

TTC History

• This will be our 4th baby....4th one to use the crib! Operation crib eviction for ds (who just turned 2) will happen in the next month or two. Big bros share a room, ds will get the guest room and baby will move into the nursery. Only thing we needed was a new rocker since we sold ours before we moved. Otherwise this nugget can just slip right into the nursery
  • @chindimples04 can you share your nursery paint colors? We are leaning towards navy/grey walls like that (and then putting gold stars on the navy wall) but can’t settle on a grey color. I love how yours looks! 
  • @purplegoldpirate The blue is Nautica  navy by nautica at home. The grey is moon beam by Dutch boy. 
    TTC History

• Since we know baby is a boy, I still want to keep some sort of Beatles-ish theme since I am a freak. We have one wall in the nursery that is painted light blue for DS yellow submarine theme. I think we'll go with a moon and stars theme with some golden slumbers and/or here comes the sun lyrics or theme.
  • The nursery is another aspect where my H and are kind of struggling being Team Green. I have a definite preference for certain color schemes or themes depending on sex. We might just mentally plan nursery decor for each sex, save an online cart full of stuff for each, and then checkout after the baby is born 🙈

My nursery Pinterest boards are all over the place so far. 😂 Right now I'm contemplating:

1. a loose nature/National Parks/woodland animals type theme

2. Pale yellow room with a few touches of honey bees

3. The room in shades of blue and seafoam with some under the sea touches
  • @galentine we do all things bees for DD (her nickname us TennyBea) and I’m obsessed with that bee themed nursery! 😍😍😍 
    TTC History

• Ooh @galentine I love those images with the blue/sea foam/under the sea. That’s so pretty and the subtle colors are beautiful! 

• STM syndrome over here 🤦🏻‍♀️Anyone else?  I have put zero thought into this yet. We have 3 bedrooms and one is used as an office / craft room so I think I’ll have to organize it so we can make it a partial nursery as well
  • @bcliffee1 not at all. I honestly didn't think about it until this thread popped up. 
  • @bcliffee1 my two boys had a tan room with white and gold curtains and a furry beige rug.  We have since moved, so this LO will have a greige room with that same beige rug as long as it doesn't clash with the wall color.  We have since purchased wooden name decor for the boys and a framed pic from their 1 year shoots, so this one will get their name up on the wall once he/she is born and then slowly fill in other wall decor as they grow up.
  • bumphibumphi member
    First time mama here! I’m leaning toward something like this, with maybe more of a sage green wall, and that color wall being behind the crib and name sign. I want very earthy, neutral tones with plush additions like a fluffy macrame design rug maybe under the crib, and there’ll be elephant items in the room too! 

Great concept.  Very warm and cozy!
  • So right now I’m looking at this crib, that converts to a toddler bed and then this bedside bassinet for baby’s first months sleeping next to my bed. I love the storage bit under! 

• @cait32 oh I will absolutely look at that thank you!! Any suggestions I love. There’s so much information to take in as a FTM 😭😳
  • We’ve been having the bassinet vs PnP argument for weeks. My H is team fancy HALO bassinet. (I had to be a firm no on a SNOO rental) I’m team PnP. Both are on our registry right now because I think we’ll use the PnP even if we have the bassinet, which is my argument against having both things. Kids need so many things! 
  • @purplegoldpirate DD had the Halo, 4moms PnP with infant insert and of course a regular crib. I loved the Halo and kept it for 5 years in case I had another baby. The PnP was great because it was or downstairs bassinet. DD however refused to ever be placed in the play yard part, so I sold it quickly. However, I feel like my DD is the opposite of most babies so for longevity and cost I still think PnP is the way to go.
    I would never spend so much money on a Snoo. I can’t bring myself to do it.
  • @purplegoldpirate I didn't have room in my room for a PnP so we had an Arms Reach Cosleeper bassinet. I had the PnP in the living room. And yes, so many things!
  • Has anybody used a motorized bassinet? There are about a million motorized swings and rockers, but I was thinking about getting something that could rock baby to sleep while I fall asleep in the bed next to him. There's a lot less available in that category.
  • @noprobalo Sounds like a dangerous sleep crutch to me, and I would avoid!
  • @demimondaine Like actually dangerous or a figure of speech? I was asking about ones specifically that don't have side cushions or an incline. Just a flat bassinet that rocks or vibrates or whatever.
  • @noprobalo Not safety, but dangerous to your sleep, especially when you have to make the transition to a crib! 5ish months is about the limit for most bassinets, size wise. 
  • @demimondaine Would soothing with a rocker and then transferring to a crib avoid that? I am concerned about my physical ability to soothe the baby for long stretches of time, especially on no sleep. I worry I'll have a baby who will only sleep while being held, and that's not gonna work for me. 😬😭
  • @noprobalo Ideally you put the baby down drowsy but awake - of course there is nothing ideal about newborns! I personally believe that it helped that I let my son sleep in the bassinet in the hospital, so he was sleeping flat from day 1 - he was not held constantly. He slept a lot better than my nephews ever did! 
  • @noprobalo honestly all sleep goes in the pooper at 4 months when they go through a major sleep regression, so I wouldn't worry about sleep crutches before then. After though... oof sleep crutches are hard to deal with. 
  • We have a HALO and PNP and honestly we got the HALO used and in great condition and I’m so glad because our babe did not like the HALO one bit so the only use it got was holding clothes I didn’t feel like folding. Something to consider. Babies sleep weird and like some things and hate other things and there’s zero rhyme or reason so it’s hard spending the money that those things cost wnd not actually using it. 
  • @madiirosee it’s so lovely! 

I am struggling hard at coming up with nursery ideas for this baby! We’re having a girl, already have 2 sort of darker blush pink accent walls and off-white furniture from DD. And I don’t know what to do with it to make a new space for baby girl! 
  • kandb4kandb4 member
    edited June 2021
    @madiirosee I bought that color pouf too!!!! I was nervous reading the reviews because they all said it went flat after a few weeks. My older kids flop on it every once and a while and I obsessively reform it 😅
  • I got hit by two bugs at once - the nesting bug and the low back pain bug. Not a great combo! Thank goodness my husband is good at building furniture and newborn clothes are super easy to fold :) we’re doing a loose mountain theme with bears and foxes and trees for little mister. Finding space in his dresser for the little bear hats that I bought today was so much fun!