September 2021 Moms
Options

MARCH APPOINTMENTS

2»

Re: MARCH APPOINTMENTS

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Am I first for the GTT? 🤢🤢 I have GD history and I’m chubby so I started early. I don’t remember what is normal, 28 weeks?

• Options
    @paulpaw ugh don’t remind me 😂 luckily haven’t had it before so I’ll be doing it at the usual time (28w sounds right to me!)
  • Options
    I think I’m in the minority but that glucose drink never taste bad to me. It taste like Sunkist. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I never mind drinking it and it never makes me feel awful. I’m not sure what that says about my blood sugar tolerance. 😆
  • Options
    @paulpaw ugh the WORST. It takes all my energy not to throw up drinking that garbage  :D
  • Options
    @emeraldcity1214 same 🤣 I have to take it early too @paulpaw it’s kind of annoying to take it twice 
  • Options
    It actually was better this time. Last time my OB had an internal phlebotomist so I had to do it in the office and sit there in the waiting room. This time my OB doesn’t have that so I had to go to lapcorp, which is 5 mins from my house. Because of Covid you have to wait the hour in the car so I just went home and came back.

@whatabout2ndbreakfast is this your first time doing it early? If not, did you pass one and not the other? I asked that if I fail I just go to GD protocol bc I hate the 3 hour and don’t see the point. 
  • Options
    @paulpaw last time I passed both! You’d think if you have a history of GD they’d let you skip the 3 hr? Hoping I pass again this time but it goes up every pregnancy for me so we’ll see 😬 
  • Options
    I had an appointment the other day. I talked about some constipation remedies. I really want to give Calm Magnesium a try. I got so desperate the other day that I used a stool softener/laxative. It messed my stomach up all night but boy did it fix my problem the following morning. I would like to keep from getting to that point in the first place. My problem is I can’t decide on which Calm Magnesium to get. I want one that’s already a liquid but I don’t want one that has added sugars and dyes. 

Other than that, she just checked babies HB. I showed her exactly where to put it to hear. She got his HB right away in that spot. His little HB is always in that spot. Never fails. 
  • Options
    @emeraldcity1214 let me know if the calm magnesium works...... I’m on a regimen of cream, a nightly dose of colace, and twice daily Metamucil fiber supplements to heal my fissure. horrible. It’s actually working a little I think, but it feels like I’m taking a lot.... OB and colorectal surgeon both day it’s safe and fine, but it still bugs me 
  • Options
    @emeraldcity1214 I never minded the glucose drink either. Some flavors are better than others in my experience. If I get a choice I’ll choose the lemon lime flavor over orange or fruit punch, but they all just taste like super sweet Gatorade to me!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @sleepydaze so happy for you! That feeling is the worst and I’m glad you got some reassurance.
  • Options
    @sleepydaze thats amazing! So happy for you :) 
  • Options
    ageaagea member
    @sleepydaze yay that’s great news! So reassuring. So where do you stand on the cerclage?
  • Options
    @sleepydaze Such good news!! I'm so glad you got some reassurance and a communicative doctor finally 
  • Options
    @sleepydaze that’s awesome! Good  doctors rock. Glad you had a happy ending to this marathon of appointments! 
  • Options
    @sleepydaze what a relief! I’m so happy to hear this! 
  • Options
    @sleepydaze - that is such good news! What are you leaning towards doing? 

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @sleepydaze this is such great news! So happy that you got some reassurance
  • Options
    @sleepydaze I'm so happy to hear this update! 
  • Options
    @sleepydaze yay! What a relief!
  • Options
    Still waiting to hear from my OB for my first appointment. 

Last week my family doctor called to go over the genetic testing.  Blood work came back fine but he couldn't find the ultrasound so I had to make another appointment for yesterday while he tried to track it down.  He found it and everything looks fine. 

During my first blood test my doctor said my thyroid was slightly elevated for pregnancy so he is just now referring me to an endocrinologist to have it looked at.  I also have to go back in to do another blood test to recheck my thyroid.  

So all and all the healthcare I have received this pregnancy has been sub-par at best.  But since I don't have any real concerns health wise I'm not getting too worked up about it.  
  • Options
    @deziraywatt any reason your OB/GYN doesn’t see you right from the very beginning? I’ve never heard of going to the family doctor before for all those initial workups and ultrasounds! Ive been meaning to ask you because I’m curious every time you mention that you’re still waiting on your OB 
  • Options
    @runningonindie I think it may be an Canadian thing. Other Canadian moms feel free to chime in.  Last time I got in at around 12 weeks. I think they are just overwhelmed right now with Covid and booking fewer appointments to avoid a lot of people in the waiting room or something. No one has really given me a clear answer. 
  • Options
    @deziraywatt @runningonindie I'm Canadian too and I saw my GP at first (between the fertility clinic and by OB). I had a telephone appointment with my OB at 12 weeks, didn't meet her in person until 16 weeks. My GP says it's normally 16-20 weeks when the OB takes over from the GP. Could be Canadian, could vary province to province too (I'm in Ontario).
  • Options
    Another Canadian here...pretty typical to not see an OB till 20 weeks and see family doc up until then. 
  • Options
    Oh no way! My cousins are in Ontario. I’ll have to ask them if they did this. In the US the OB starts seeing you right away! Like 8ish weeks. So crazy! 
  • Options
    That’s so interesting. I’m in the US and my other pregnancies the OB wanted to see me at 8 weeks. This time is was 12. But I also see an OB for all the annual checkups and not a family doctor- I only go there for physicals/bloodwork and if I’m sick.
  • Options
    West coast Canada - I've been with midwives every time and so was only transferred an OB later (ex end of 2nd trimester and this time at 14 weeks due to high risk). My midwife this time around said the OBs are crazy busy (if I didn't get my surprise appt I would have had to wait until end of April). But with midwives they usually send me in for a dating ultrasound at 8 weeks and then anatomy, and see me every 4 - 6 weeks starting at 10 or 12 weeks. 
  • Options
    @sleepydaze A lady in another group of mine went in and her cervix measured 3.24 at the MFM and they are getting her in ASAP for a cerclage. Why are they holding off again? Did they say exactly what the risk of the cerclage is? 
  • Options
    sleepydazesleepydaze member
    edited April 2021
    @emeraldcity1214 this OB said that some women have naturally short cervixes and some have incompetent which are weak cervixes that shorten over 2nd trimester and can't maintain a pregnancy. I gather he sees the procedure as unnecessary for me, perhaps seeing it the same way as removing an appendix that is functioning fine. I'm really surprised they wanted a cerclage at 3.24cm unless she had a history of 2nd trimester loss, as most doctors don't even consider a cervix short until under 3cm (3-4cm is considered normal). I think because I was able to maintain my last pregnancy for another 15 weeks (26 to 41 weeks) at 1.8cm, they think I will be fine. BUT the OB will check in with me on Tuesday after my MFM ultrasound/appt so I can decide then if I would like one. I think if I drop under 1.5cm it's automatic though.
    ETA: I'm also on progesterone now so we'll see if it's been working at my next appt. Last pregnancy it seemed to help.
  • Options
    @sleepydaze I think they got multiple measurements for her. The shortest was 2 something and the longest they measured was 3.24. 
  • Options
    @emeraldcity1214 Oh so she might have a dynamic cervix. 

Just a PSA for everyone, please do not hesitate to ask them to measure your cervix (on an empty bladder) at your anatomy scan! It's not necessarily part of the routine scan unless they feel a need to measure it. Its a good chance to catch a short cervix and intervene earlier on!
  • Options
    @sleepydaze they measure my cervix at every scan. I think it’s pretty routine in the states.