Infertility
Options

OHSS?

Hey everyone,

My doctor dismissed that I gained 2.5 lbs the day after the retrieval. This is day 2 after surgery. I feel so bloated and tight. Anytime I breathe deeply it feels like there’s no room in my abdomen to expand. I’m breathing fine otherwise. My ovaries don’t hurt as much today. I’m guessing this is at most mild OHSS. Has anyone dealt with this that thinks I should be concerned?

I normally ride things out but am really uncomfortable. 

Re: OHSS?

• Options
    I had OHSS after my retrieval and gained nearly 15 pounds in the 2 days after the retrieval - that was rough but the harder part for me was that I wasn't urinating and I couldn't keep anything down. Even with that my doctor felt it was just a mild-moderate case and had my monitor at home. He didn't seem concerned and I was miserable. 

Thankfully for me I started urinating on day 3 and that helped my breathlessness, pain, and vomiting considerably. I was also terribly constipated so it took another week or so before most of the bloating and water weight went down.

I would say you can likely just monitor at home unless your weight keeps going up, you stop peeing, you have severe pain, or can't stop vomiting. It is miserable for sure but from what my doctor explained was fairly self-limiting. 
    Me: 34 DH: 43
    Our Journey for #1
    2014 -- Started TTC casually
    2017 -- Discovered MFI but didn't move forward with treatment due to expense and grad school
    Spring 2019 -- Started with RE and confirmed MFI 
    Fall 2019 -- 3 cycles of Clomid and TI, 3 BFNs, discovered hostile cervical mucus was also contributing
    Spring/Summer 2020 -- 3 cycle of IUI, 3 BFNs
    Nov 2020 - First IVF with 3 little frosties, had to change to freeze all due to OHSS
    Feb 16, 2021 - FET #1 - BFP! Beta #1 100 Beta # 2 541 EDD 11/4/2021

• Options
    lylflylf member
    Thanks @KNB1027. That makes me feel better. The doctor finally called me back this morning. She prescribed pain meds that didn’t do much but will check on me tomorrow. I have noticed I’m peeing more often but peeing significantly less. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Stay hydrated and keep track of your pee -- getting darker or stopping altogether would be something I would notify your doctor about (along with any increase in weight or swelling). You can also use a heating pad to help relieve some of the discomfort.  I would also check with your doctor about taking a mild otc stool softener (like colace, not a stimulant laxative). OHSS aside, some pain meds (not sure what was prescribed) can cause constipation which will increase your discomfort so it's sometimes nice to take a stool softener alongside them to keep you "cleaned out" so to speak. 
    ~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."

• Options
    I had mild OHSS with both of my retrievals. After the first one, on about day 3 or 4, I started getting crazy pain in my abdomen at night. It felt like someone is ripping my inwards out - it was really bad and I felt like I'm dying. I went to see my dr the next day and they explained that it's most likely free-floating ovaries twisting on themselves, cutting circulation. They did an ultrasound, confirmed I had liquid in the abdomen, but it didn't look bad enough to do anything special about it, so they gave me some painkillers and sent me home.
    The tightness lasted about 2 weeks and then went away.
    For the second retrieval, I was really bloated, lots of chest tightness, but at least no pain. I got worse of the first week, and then slowly subsided over the second week.
    Hang in there! It'll get better!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My story in signature spoiler. Children mentioned.
    Me: 37 DH: 45
    I don't produce FSH, so no natural menstrual cycle. DH has reduced morphology.
    Summer 2014 IUI (with first husband): cancelled after almost a month of stims due to too many follicles
    Time off to divorce, get back on my feet, find a new hubby and get married again 💑
    March 2017 IVF#1: ~70 follicles, 13R, 10M, 7F, 3B = 2 PGS Normal (both XY) - no transfer due to ohss
    Sept 2017 FET#1: BFP, Beta#1 (10dpt) - 253, Beta#2 (12dpt) - 528, DS born 05/31/2018 👨‍👩‍👦
    Dec 2019 FET#2: BFN
    Changed clinic, planning March 2020 IVF#2 - postponed due to the pandemic
    April 2020 IVF #2: ~30 follicles, 24R, 12M, 8F, 4B = 2XY & 2XX, all normal  <3
    Sept 2020 FET#3: one XX embryo, BFP, Beta#1 (9dpt) - 161, Beta#2 (11dpt) - 519, Beta#3 (19dpt) - 7174, Due date 05/30/2021
    DD born 05/23/2021 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 - My family is now complete <3