September 2021 Moms

The Sex Thread

Re: The Sex Thread

• @chewie5990 how does it work? Do they send you a kit? And then is it a finger prick? Sounds like the results come super fast- so cool!
  • @agea Yeah, they send you a kit, you do a finger prick, send it back, get the results emailed to you within the week! My OB said she's had tons of patients do it and it's always been accurate. As long as you follow the directions and don't contaminate the sample you should be good! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @agea as a mom of 2 boys knowing this will be our last baby I'm still not sure how I'm going to feel when we find out the sex. Absolutely no judgement in mourning the fact that you won't ever have a girl - it definitely does not mean you love your boys any less! Part of me really wants this next one to be a girl...but the lazy part of me just wants another boy because I already have all the boys stuff and know what to expect with boys. My husband really really wants a girl though, so I think there will be some disappointment at first if we are having another boy.
  • @chewie5990 you guys should be finding out soon, right?
    I hope it works out whatever’s best for your family! I try to think that is the case for us.
  • Oh also I know it’s a flame worthy offense but the nub theory was 💯 right in my case. I got the nuchal pics right before I found out the NIPT. It seemed so obvious after reviewing a few google images and turns out it was spot on.
  • DH is totally against finding out the sex of the babies which I agreed to wait, but part of me is worried he will have some disappointment if we have 2 girls.  I know part of him really wants a son.  I know he will be happy with whatever we are blessed with,  but I would rather him deal with any feeling he may have before they are born.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @agea I feel this too. My MIL was disappointed when our second was a boy. She definitely treats the granddaughter different than my two boys, like she’ll buy her extra clothes and stuff and tell me “boys clothes aren’t as fun”. I don’t care about the presents I just wish she wouldn’t do that stuff in front of my boys. If this is another boy I MIGHT be tempted to try for number four but we’ll see. 
  • @agea I agree with you, statements like that can be so inappropriate, even if the person saying it means well. I feel like it's implying a family isn't complete if they don't have children of both sexes. My MIL would LOVE a granddaughter (SIL has a 2 year old son), but I don't think she'll be disappointed. So many of DH's cousins have little girls, it's not like there's nobody to buy dresses and other frilly things for. 
  • @agea oh I know when it comes down to it we will both be happy with whatever we are blessed with.  It's just when we first talked about having kids he wanted me to make a deal that if we had 3 of either gender that we would try a 4th time for one more chance.  Well that's not happening we will not be having 4 kids so this is my last pregnancy.  That's why I worry that part of him will be disappointed.  I know in the moment we will both happy after this 4 year long journey. Who knows.  I maybe over thinking this, but I just worry.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @agea just know that your feelings are 100% valid. Im in the same boat with 2 boys. I wanted to keep it a surprise like mother 2 but DH wants to find out. I just kinda thought if its a 3rd boy on D day I'm sure I won't care with all those newborn snuggles. But maybe you're right, this way there is time to deal with amy disappointment ahead of time and start getting excited. I also thinks its so damaging to have society constantly telling us the perfect family has 1 of each. Something that helps me is thinking of all the families with 3 boys that seem so happy like Hemsworth brother or Jonas brothers lol. Give yourself time to grieve and you will be so in love when you see his precious little face  <3
  • @agea I feel you and I understand 💯. I’m awaiting my results and I have 2 boys. I want a healthy baby but I know how badly I’d love a daughter too. This is the last baby for us too.

from friends that have experienced they say the hole is still there, it’s just different and of course the love for the boys is still there.
  • I should get the results from my NIPT test this week. Super nervous about the results, since I’m 38, but trying to stay positive. As far as the sex of the baby- I have a 5 year old boy and a 2 year old girl... so a girl would be easier since I have all the stuff and they could share a room. But... part of me wants a boy so that DD can be the center of attention still (she’s a Daddy’s Girl and it’s so sweet). I’m wondering if there would be competition with another girl? 
  • ageaagea member
    edited March 2021
    @chewie5990 do you have to wait till your 20w scan for confirmation? Is contamination likely?

@arrowmama I hate the idea that you can have 3 perfectly healthy babes and still feel a void over the sex. It seems so ridiculous and makes me mad that that we think/feel that way.
    are you waiting on NIPT?
  • @chewie5990 My sneak peek results were right with a boy. I also have a ton of male DNA all over my house. I honestly don’t think I have heard of a false result from them. 

My MIL was telling me that my SIL is just going for a blood draw at a local place that runs a test for gender. It isn’t sneak peek. I’m wondering if lots of places offer that kind of testing now. 
  • @emeraldcity1214 @chewie5990 I actually did have a false Sneak Peek result with my first. Despite thorough disinfection, I received a boy result...but found out we were having a daughter at the anatomy scan. 

I had really, really wanted a girl, but the false Sneak Peek result allowed me some space to mourn that idea and get excited about a boy. I think it would’ve been harder finding out at the anatomy scan, especially in front of other people, if the result had been right. Instead, by that point, I’d adjusted and was excited either way. It was a strange blessing to get the false result. 

It’s wise not to put 100% faith in the home test, specifically! Girl results are definitely more reliable than boy. 
  • @emeraldcity1214 I think there are some places locally that do the bloodwork and it comes back within a few days.

anyone know how long NIPT results take to get 🤪
  • @arrowmama - I think it depends on which company your OB uses. I gave my blood at the office on 2/19 and received an email from the lab they received it on 2/26. Apparently it takes 7-10 days to process so I’m looking at earliest, this Friday and latest, next week? I’m using Myriad. 

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• ageaagea member
    @arrowmama depends on how long it takes to receive it at the lab. I got mine back in 13 days but had more in depth testing than standard and mine had to be sent across the country. It’s possible to get it in a week though. I spent some time researching while I was waiting. What brand and when did they draw it?
  • Question about the NIPT test and being team green. Is there anything that you sign or a box you check that says you don't want to have the sex reported to you? We really don't want to know the sex ahead of time and I'm afraid it will just be there on the report and we'll find out by mistake. 
  • @emeraldduchess I spoke to my OB yesterday because we want the gender to go to a friend so she can organize a gender reveal for us... the doctor said what usually happens is that the nurse will call you to tell you your results are back, whether or not they are normal, and ask if you want to know the gender. 
  • @emeraldduchess I have always been asked if I want to know the sex. They have to specifically check a box. 
  • Thanks, @emeraldcity1214 and @runningonindie! I just had my intake appointment today and they wrote all over my chart that we want to keep the sex a surprise.  :)
  • ageaagea member
    @williams-jen congratulations! 
    Does he know yet? Is he excited?
  • @williams-jen congratulations! Brothers are so fun, I love watching mine play (and even fight!) You're gonna love it <3
  • @agea We’ve told him but I don’t think he quite gets it! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • ageaagea member
    @arrowmama heyyyy, glad you’re along for the ride. Congratulations and hugs. 3 boys, let’s do this 💪

(You ok?)
  • @arrowmama Feel all the emotions right now. It’s ok to be disappointed. It’s a very normal thing. 
  • @arrowmama I'm sorry Mama definitely let yourself have a good cry.

Just FYI though I know quite a few women who got incorrect boy results on sneekpeak...it is easy to contaminate especially with a house full of boys.
  • @arrowmama I don't want to give you false hope..but I also got boy for my sneak peek results, but I'm not really putting my full trust in it. It's very easy to get a false boy result (especially if since you - like me - also live with 3 boys already and I'm sure their DNA is all over the place). I was super careful and followed all the directions but I'm not telling anyone it's a boy until it's confirmed by u/s.