June 2021 Moms

Ask a STM(+) a Q - M/O January 2021

Ask a STM(+) any questions you have or anything you need input on! 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

Re: Ask a STM(+) a Q - M/O January 2021

• _orchid__orchid_ member
    edited January 2021
    Can I start this off with a question for TTM? 

What does your laundry routine look like? With 4 of us in winter (so many layers) I'm doing 2 loads on weekends and 1-2 mid week. Wondering if I'm just going to live in the laundry room next winter.

*** Edited to add loads of clothes. Sheets, towels, jackets, blankets, etc. are their own beasts!
  • @_orchid_ I do laundry just about every other day. If I skip a day I end up doing 3 loads. There are only 3 of us but toddlers are messy and H and I workout everyday so we just accumulate a lot of laundry. 
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• Loading the player...
  • I do a load daily. If I don’t, I can’t keep up 
  • I usually do laundry a couple days a week but it’s always a few loads at a time. 
    I’ve been trying to do the kids together a couple times a week on their own and I find that helps. 
  • We do one load for DS and me and then a second for MH's clothes. I guess our washer is big enough to not have to do a load a day. Our towels and sheets are washed separately, so maybe a total of 4 per week. 
  • @legallykate you are definitely not alone. I feel ya on the laundry. I do way way way less now too 😆 im the same as you. I only do like laundry once every  1 week - 10 days for my DH LOL only one load of white and one dark. 
  • @legallykate my kids being home all day every day means they are constantly changing/adding clothes. In regular life they're school all day, so if they get paint/food on their clothes they deal with it and wear it all day. At home they don't deal, so if ds2 gets a dot of marker on his shirt he changes 🙄 ds1 put on/took off 3 different pairs of socks on Sunday and I was like oh hell no 🤣

@dogmom5 I feel like this is where I'm heading. 
  • @legallykate, I do laundry 1x a week. Saturdays are laundry day. I wash mine, my son’s, the towels, and sheets. My H is on his own. Cloth diapers every 3 days but my husband is responsible for that. 

• Thank you SO much @mc0303 for taking the time to share all of that helpful information! 
  • @kfc1983 - @mc0303 gives a lot of great resources! You'll find too that once you're a parent, all the other people in your life who are parents (co-workers, neighbors, etc) will talk to you non-stop about being a parent. It can be annoying, but also can be good for you to get ideas, especially if you have a parent acquaintance that you vibe with. 

With DS1, dh and I felt ready- until the night before we left the hospital lol. We were lucky that our maternity ward was slow at that time, so we asked our nurse if she could show us how to give him a bath (really had no idea lol). The nurses thought it was really cute and the last 24 hours we were there, they made a point to show us and explain anything they were going with ds. 

Will your child be in a form of child care? They are a great source too, and will know your child (almost) as well as you will. When ds1 was like 5 months, we were getting ready for feeding solids (pediatrician recommended) and I remember saying to the daycare person "oh I guess I'll have to look through our drawer for a small spoon for him" and she was like "uhhh, a baby spoon?" - I really, truly didn't even think of that! 
  • @kfc1983 In addition to what @mc0303 and @_orchid_ mentioned, remember that once you fall into your own routine and figure out ways of doing things that work best for you and your lifestyle you can ABSOLUTELY tell others to f*** off with their unsolicited advice. Don't feel pressured to listen to, or try, anything and everything that's suggested. Also remember that trying something out and not liking it is okay too! It's a journey and I GUARANTEE that there's no STM+ who got everything "right" the first time. What "right" looks like for one parent may not be what "right" looks like for you and that's completely valid. If you ever have specific questions don't hesitate to reach out and ask for help (from your parents, another parent, a pediatrician, etc.). There's no shame in saying "I don't know how to do this, please help."
    TTC History- *TW* LC
    Me: 24 Dh: 46
    Married: 10.2018
    DS #1: 06.2014
    Hyperemesis Gravidarum (HG), Emergency C-Section
    MC: 03.2017- 5 Weeks
    Rainbow DS #2: 07.2018
    HG, 19w Fetal Surgery, 24w PPROM, 33w Placental Abruption, Partial Uterine Rupture, Emergency C-Section
    NICU, Chronic Kidney Disease
    TTC #3: Medically Cleared 12.5.2019, had a bunch of problems and wonky cycles
    BFP 10.13.2020 EDD: 6.26.2021

October 2020 TTGP Signature Challenge: Pets in Costumes

• @kfc1983 I think you have received some great advice! The only thing I would add is it might be worth reading or familiarizing yourself with newborn sleep. There are so many techniques and programs about getting newborns to sleep or on a schedule. The Happiest Baby talks about the 4th trimester and their is a toddler follow up book. There is also Moms on Call and Crying out Methods and the list goes on and on. You may have an idea of what you think you want to do with sleep and schedule, but your baby may have it’s own mind too. I think it’s good to have general knowledge of what is out there and then refresh yourself when you are going through it for techniques that way you are scrambling to find the needle in the haystack at 3 am in desperation. 

I found the newborn class through my hospital helpful as well. They did tips like how to give a bath, check bath temp, how to swaddle, safe sleeping practices, calming techniques, how to check for fever, etc. We did it along with our birthing, breastfeeding and CPR classes. 
  • @kfc1983 TakingCaraBabies is a great IG account to follow
  • @kfc1983 you have gotten some great advice. Remember, even people with maternal instincts bring home their baby and at some point in the first week think, “what the heck are we doing?” Our pediatrician gives all new parents the book “Caring for your Baby and Young Child” in the hospital. It is a fantastic resource that I still reference because it talks about pretty much everything. 
  • There is a book and website called baby bargains. They look at all the necessities and break down functionality and cost and talk pros and cons. It helped me pick a lot of things with our first that I had no knowledge about. It talks about high chairs, cribs, bassinets, etc. 
  • I love all this advice y’all!! I had been around babies for years as all my friends had babies before me and I would babysit all the time.  My brothers baby I actually babysat a lot.  When I brought home DS I was utterly clueless as to what I was supposed to do! The first week was the hardest while we were getting to know each other. I didn’t read any books but I did go to my last BMB to ask for help a lot.  Eventually you start getting the hang of things and find your own way piecing together advice from others into your own style.   

The only thing that I really think every parent should be on the same page about is car seat safety.  
  • All of the advice given so far is really great.  I was completely clueless when I brought DS home but eventually you figure it all out.  I like Happiest Baby on the Block and Wonder Weeks a lot.  

I never got the hang of a tight swaddle, which seems to be essential in the beginning.  I was eventually gifted a halo swaddle with velcro that changed my life.  I'm also really slow at changing diapers still.  

I did not take a newborn class but I can imagine they are really helpful.  A local group here does them online and people rave about it.  (link)
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• Question for the STM+ crowd - I know they say you show earlier with #2, and I definitely feel like I am, but does your bump get bigger overall or does it level out at a certain point? 
  • @halfanewt. I’d be interested in the answer too.  This is my 2nd and my fundal height has been consistently 2weeks ahead since 16 weeks when I was always on target with DS1.  This baby is also measuring a week ahead by ultrasounds which DS1 didn’t do so I’m wondering if this levels out or not lol 😂 
  • @halfanewt with DS2 I would have gotten bigger overall than I did with DS1 had I gone full term. With DD now I'm smaller than I was with either of those two pregnancies at this point. I think it REALLY depends baby to baby. 
    TTC History- *TW* LC
    HG, 19w Fetal Surgery, 24w PPROM, 33w Placental Abruption, Partial Uterine Rupture, Emergency C-Section

• @kfc1983 The other moms have covered everything really well, but I think it is worth emphasizing that NO first time parent knows really know what they are doing, and every baby is different, so it is going to be a day by day learning experiment for you and baby (and I am expecting this to be the case with my second too). People told me this and I brushed it off because I consider myself smarter than average and though I was super well-prepared, and once we brought her home it was really humbling to realize I had no real idea what I was doing and was in no way prepared for that level of sleeplessness and never being able to figure out why she was crying all the time. But at the same time, you eventually realize all you have to do is keep baby alive which in itself isn't that hard (and the above tips will come in very handy for that). And it's obviously 100% worth all the exhaustion and feelings of inadequacy. Just saying all this so you don't beat yourself up feeling unprepared now or when the baby gets here and know that it's always okay to ask for help! 
    *TTC History*

Me: 37, MH: 38; Married August 2017

TTC #1 October 2017: BFP on 12/1/2017, DD born 7/24/2018 @ 37+1 after induction due to preeclampsia

TTC #2 January 2020: AMA, dx with DOR in May 2020

IVF July 2020: 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 12 fertilized, 3 blasts, 2 PGT-A normal

FET 10/7/20: BFP on 10/12/20!!! (EDD 6/25/21); First beta 10/16/20 (9dpt): 148; Second beta 10/19/20 (12dpt): 621; Third beta 10/26/20 (19dpt): 4732; Fourth (and final!) beta 11/2/20 (26 dpt): 22,000+

• I think the second time I was bigger overall but it’s also because I seemed to get fat all over the second time 😆 
    this time I showed about the same as my second but I’m definitely bigger. Especially at night. 
  • @kfc1983, I think this is why STM(+) are so chill. The first time, you have not a clue. I'm excited this time to chill out more. But you learn so quickly and you pick up things so well. 

• Re baby knowledge: Let Google be your best friend. Literally Google everything. Can't figure out how to latch your baby? There are tons of images, articles, blogs, Youtube videos about how to get a baby to latch. Want to know if a poop looks normal? Google it. You'll also find so many opinions and ways to do things, so if one things doesn't work, then you can move on to another. You also won't be stuck in one person's way of doing things. That's what I don't like about the books or IG accounts. You're looking at one parent's way, and that way might not work with you.
    You can also Google general things, like "3 month old baby" and find out what activities you can do, what milestones they might be coming up on, etc.

Re 2nd baby bump: My 2nd baby definitely showed sooner, started evening out around the halfway mark, and around the 3rd trimester ended up being smaller. I'm carrying this one similarily to my 2nd, so I'm curious how I'll look. I started about 4 lbs heavier the 2nd time, and 7 lbs heavier the 3rd time, but I tend to gain ~30lbs each time.
  • Ahh yes everything @_orchid_ said! I went to Target when DD was 10 days old and left her with H (which was very emotional for me). I was gone 45 min and buying things for her. I could barely walk and was desperate to get home by the end of the 45 min lol. Set your goals low for getting out in public that first month! 
  • @marebear15 100% yes to not being afraid to Google or ask questions while you're getting parenting figured out! It can be so important to see that not only do different parents have different ways of handling situations but also that you're not alone in learning how to navigate it!
    @_orchid_ Also yes to setting the bar low for what you'll be able to do in the first month or so after having baby! I didn't drive for close to a month after having my c-sections, let alone try navigating any public place on my own for any length of time. Quick run into the pharmacy to pick up a prescription is one thing, full on grocery shopping trip is another. I think one thing that I will thank pandemic life for is normalizing grocery and restaurant pickup and delivery services. I'll definitely be utilizing those services more postpartum this time around than I ever did before. Don't be afraid to rely on friends and family (within your comfort level) for help getting certain things as well! I also -highly- recommend stocking up on your favorite harder to get products (any specialty skin/hair care stuff you use, etc.) so you don't run out after having baby. Keeping those products around and keeping up with self-care really helps you feel more human during a time when you're sleep deprived and everything is so new.
    TTC History- *TW* LC

• mc0303mc0303 member
    edited January 2021
    Def agree with @_orchid_ that the loving feeling took a while to develop...mine was a long while. PPD was a real B. It probably took like 5-6 months and then I just went crazy for this kid. It’s hard getting to know anyone! Let alone someone who can’t speak and their only communication method is crying and you’re tired AF. But once their personalities start shining through...my goodness. Every night mh and lay and talk about how in love we are with DS lol

• So I as going to wait until later to ask this, but since the conversation sort of veered this way anyway, how long did it take for you to feel like you could get back doing "normal" things after delivery?  And what impacted you most, was it being tired from the baby or your own physical recovery?  I've been feeling very nervous about this lately as my family seems to be acting like this is no big thing and I'll just pop right back into the swing of things but everything I see online or in books tells me otherwise.  After reading some of your posts I think I may also be setting my own expectations too high!
  • mrs_massiemrs_massie member
    edited January 2021
    @_orchid_ YES!

@ellieemc26

I went into my first maternity leave thinking I was going to be able to do sooo much. Work on some hobbies, enjoy summer break, ect.....DO NOT set these expectations for yourself. If you are able to do those things, great, but don't go into it thinking this will be the norm. Understand that its normal to feel like your not getting anything done, but that time is sooo needed to adjust to mommyhood and for your wellbeing.

When I was breastfeeding my second son, I felt like I wore a dent into the couch because I stayed in the same spot all day, everyday for weeks. Then, even as a STM, I was navigating a whole new baby and had to learn how to care for him. He wanted to be held all the time, I couldn't put him down at all and I was so scared that was my new normal. Of course, this phase ended and I'm not still holding him all the time so Its also really important to remember everything is temporary and no phase lasts forever. I think this is an important thing to remember even for the phases your are going through that you really love.
  • edited January 2021
    @ellieemc26, I think it really depends on the individual. I had very low expectations but I had a good recovery (despite a horribly traumatic birth) and was ready to be out the house. When my DS was 4 weeks, I travelled to Italy from Amsterdam and spent 2.5 weeks in Italy. By 7-8 weeks, we were going out to meet friends at bars. These things are so unusual though. And even though it was my experience, I have no expectations of the same for this baby. My sole goal then, and will be this time, was survival. I had really bad cabin fever by the time my son was born as it’s mandatory to begin maternity leave here 4 weeks before your due date and then he was 1 week late. I think that contributed to my need to get out of the house. By the time he was 2 weeks old, I had been without a real social network for 7 weeks (the last 4 weeks before my pregnancy, we were all working on our thesis for our MBA so I hardly got to see my friends). 😶😶 

• @ellieemc26 I'm going to preface this by saying that both of my birth experiences were emergency c-sections after hours of labor and both were traumatic in their own way. My birth experiences are NOT typical. THAT being said, it took me about a month or so post-surgery to start to feel mostly normal and it was definitely a combination or physical recovery and parenting a new tiny human both times. I recovered from my second delivery physically better than my first, but emotionally I was screwed for a few months because of the trauma of his delivery and our NICU experiences. With my first I emotionally recovered well, but I was prescribed a pain medication that we later discovered that I'm allergic to while I was recovering from my c-section so that set back my physical recovery a few weeks. All of that is pretty much my long way of saying that, in my experience, each birth experience will come with its own set of challenges and it's better to set low expectations. Be prepared that some things might not be totally "normal" right away and you might not just "bounce back" and that's OKAY! This time around I'm VERY lucky that my dad is willing to watch my older two for up to two weeks after having my c-section so I have time to recover, establish breastfeeding, and bond with this little one before re-introducing my older kiddos to the chaos. Taking time for yourself to slowly re-adjust to normal life is absolutely okay and there's zero shame in waiting things out and taking it at your own pace.
    TTC History- *TW* LC

• I had a somewhat planned c section with my first.  I knew he was breech, but we were set to confirm that via ultrasound then schedule a c section for later.  My water broke before all that happened at 36w6d.  So it went from planned to urgent csection in the middle of the night.  I know I expected to be able to maintain the house as well as get out of it occasionally.  We went out one time in the first 2 months at 3weeks pp to buy some bottles.. lol 😂   The maintaining the house bit got between my husband and I until he had to stay home with him alone for an entire day while I worked.  He realized real quick that it was harder to do things than he thought.   I didn’t feel completely normal healed wise until about 4 weeks pp, mentally like 6 months lol. 
  • @ellieemc26 - I feel like somewhere around the 3 month mark I was starting to feel more normal with both my babies. Obviously I was able to go on walks before then, move around, go on outings. I was probably pretty healed physically by 8 weeks, but I didn't feel myself until the baby started sleeping better, my milk supply regulated, and breastfeeding became easy.