June 2021 Moms

Nursery Ideas

We have been cleaning out guest room and office and preparing for baby boy so I thought it would be a good time to start a thread for nursery questions, inspiration, ideas, whatever you have brewing. Share here! 

Re: Nursery Ideas

• We have smaller rooms and I’m trying to figure out how everything will fit.  We are using DS furniture for the baby and getting him new stuff (the second child saga of hand me downs starts).  I am doing a different “theme” though just haven’t decided what yet lol
  • We also have a spare office that we need to clean out in order to get ready for baby to come. I was just taking about this with DH tonight. We have a big computer desk and chair and filing stuff etc and so starting sometime in Feb he said he was going to put up all the office stuff for sale and get it out of there so we can buy nursery stuff and paint etc. Not sure on the theme yet but I do have certain colors in mind I would like to use. Once we get it all empty ill start looking for decor and go from there. Im excited to start this all 😍😬
  • Loading the player...
  • This was the nursery for my first DD. We did a pink and gray theme.

For my second girl, we didn't do much to the room. I redid the gallery wall and added a few accents of teal/mint. I also switched out the curtains to teal ones but don't have a photo of that for some reason.

My only idea for the next nursery is adding navy or forest green for a boy, or that cute lemons theme from Target for a girl. 
  • Omie_WiseOmie_Wise member
    edited January 2021
    We need to move DS2 in with DS2. DH is making scoffing noises at my desire to buy both the boys big boy beds at the same time so they will match. Doesn’t this make sense? If we just buy DS1 a bed what happens if it’s not available when DS2 is ready for it?  I want the theme for their room to be adventure. I’m thinking a cool mural maybe and I love these beds from Crate and Barrel. 

For the baby I’ve purchased this print as the inspiration piece. I might get another one too. I need to think about the dimensions. 

Our crib is the RH gold iron one so once DS2 is done with that it will be the baby’s. This is as far as I’ve gotten. We already have a dresser, shelf for diapers, and a rocker. I just need paint, a new light fixture, a floor lamp, and decor. I really want one of those PB animal rockers. I didn’t do much decorating with DS2 so I’m going to try and enjoy this. DS1’s nursery was really cute. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Our spare bedroom is currently my husband's office. Since the baby will need to sleep with us for the first 6 months or so anyway they'll probably share for a while before he moves his desk to the family/rumpus room in the basement. The room is pretty large (with a *huge* closet), so we'll probably keep furniture pretty basic to start out with so there's room for his desk and computers. Most likely a combo dresser/changing table, small bookshelf (mine from when I was a little kid), and mini-crib (is there any downside to getting a mini-crib?). I'd like some sort of chair, just debating whether to get something new or move our current recliner up there. As for a theme, we already have hiking maps on the wall, so will probably stick with a mountain/woodland theme. The one catch is that the walls are currently a gold color, which I suppose isn't ideal for a baby room, but maybe we can get some sunset-type decals that make it work. It was only painted less than a year ago, so I don't really want to do it again so soon.
  • We made a neutral nursery for ds1 bc we knew we would use the same room for subsequent kids. It's gray with white framed prints of some of my favorite children's books. Made some changes for ds2. Currently using it as my work from home office space so there's a printer next to my rock and play. 

@Omie_Wise we moved ds2 in with DS1 over the summer and they love it. I would probably buy both beds now so you don't have to do it again soon. We bought a cheap ikea bed for ds2 over the summer and wish we had done that for ds1 (bought him a more expensive/bigger bed a few years ago). I feel like our furniture needs will change in a few years when ds3 is bigger and we'll be shifting stuff around all over again. Our bedrooms are super small though- our house is 1200 sqft- so moving stuff/reorganizing is always happening. 
  • I'm having such a hard time with this one!  We're planning to move to a bigger house in the fall and keep our current house as a rental so I need to keep the walls neutral.  Our extra room is also my office right now so no idea how those are both going to fit in.  In addition, since we're team green I'm having a really hard time picking a theme.  I feel like everything DH likes is better suited for an older child and also leans more boy than neutral, particularly when you look at the options available (which is odd since he is completely convinced we are having a girl).  I also really don't like that almost all of the neutral themes you see are in grays.  I probably just need to find a simple non-baby theme that we both like and go with it. I guess I'm sort of not excited about it since I know I'll have to take it all down within 6 months and I know I'll probably want to change it all then anyway since team green will no longer be an issue.
  • @_orchid_ I think my kids will love it too. They both hate sleeping in their rooms alone. I’m worried about DS2 climbing out of his bed with DS1’s help but that can’t be helped. I’m glad my instincts to get both beds at once is good. DH is just being cheap because we just bought a ton of furniture, I think he’ll come around. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Omie_Wise we just moved our sons, 5 1/2 and 2 1/2, into the same room and its so cute how excited they are to room together.
  • Our 3rd bedroom is currently an office, we will redo it to be either DD’s room or the nursery. I will probably keep the color scheme pretty similar, grey walls, white furniture, pink decor.  
    Me: 38, DH: 37
    Married: 8/10/13
    BFP- 12/18/15, D&E- 4/8/16 @ 21w5d- confirmed Thanatophoric Dysplasia
    BFP- 11/7/17, M/C- 11/18/17 @ 4w6d
    BFP- 8/25/18 ~ EDD- 5/9/19 ~ DD born 5/2/20 *Lillian Hazel*
    BFP- 10/9/20 ~ EDD- 6/21/21

• @_orchid_ I love the idea of frames book covers! Where did you get them?
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• So bebe will be in our room for the first 6mo or so, then the plan is to have bebe and DS share a room. We’re looking at a new house a few years out, so we’ll see how this goes... anyone else start room sharing that early? 
  • @halfanewt I’m thinking of something similar but I’m probably going to wait until this new babe can STTN reliably before they share rooms. 
  • DS1 we did a sports theme, it was super generic but cute. Blue, green and brown colors

For DD, we did an under the sea theme, with little mermaid bedding. Her room is still under the sea, but she has baby Shark bedding now (do do do do do). But she’s in our bed every night at some point anyway 🤷🏻‍♀️

DS2 will be bunking with us for the first 6-12 months then we’re going to have him share with his sister. He’s going to partake in the under the sea theme and I picked out Nemo bedding 🥰

Once he outgrows the crib, I’ll see if we want to keep the littles bunking or turn our game room into the baby’s room. But I think DD *might* stay in her own room if she’s sharing with her brother?
  • @ellieemc26 We moved to a bigger house when DS2 was 8 months old. He had been in our bedroom in our old house so I couldn’t do a lot to prepare for his space in the old house but I did some stuff and it was enough. I set up diaper changing and nursing areas. I got a super fluffy rug and some bins for blankets and stuffed animals. Even though it was minimal, it was enough. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We moved into our current house just 10 days before DD was born, so we didn’t work on her nursery until after she was here. I am excited to have Ds’s room ready beforehand, and we had to do a lot of room juggling so it made sense to start this process now.

@angelz429 DD’s theme is also under the water, H and I met scuba diving so it is a nod to that. 

DS’s theme is going to be music, but not sure how it will look yet. I am liking these decals, but also wondering if doing a black and white nursery is too dramatic. But we have a brown crib & dresser that is going to DS from DD’s room, so torn on that part. 

Inspired pics: 

• @ramzlau I too am cleaning out my office to turn it into a nursery!

With DS we did a vintage duck decoy room, nothing over the top, very subtle...but using my dad's duck decoys he hand painted. The room is a light blue and we did navy blackout curtains. We also did a very very slightly off-white dresser & night stand, and a gray gliding chair w/ ottoman. DH made a natural stained shelves. The bedding is just the light gray/white stripped Burt's Bees fitted sheet. Then we have a few personal touches, like his monogram over the crib.

We have the Million Dollar Baby crib : 

I think in March/early April we will get DS big boy furniture and will be moving the nursery furniture into the new room. I'm thinking about doing a billfish (Marlin/Sailfish) theme, or something very classic little boy like a baby blue gingham.
  • @toesinthesand-2 just mentioned something something that EVERY nursery should have- black out curtains!! We got them when ds1 was about a year old and they made a huge difference in his sleep!
  • @_orchid_ - I love the book illustration idea! 
  • @ellieemc26, our old place my son was in our room so we did a very minimal nursery wall with just photos. Let me find a pic. We’re expats renting so we can’t/won’t do anything elaborate. Changing pad went on the dresser. 

And yes to blackout curtains. Essential!

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• Love all these photos!! 

DS we had his room a like blue and had a grey chevron print type theme. 

DD we went with a purple/pink colour room and grey elephants. 

This babe doesn’t have a room yet, trying to sell my house in time to get in and get a nursery set up. We’re team green so we’re going with a light great and an “oh the places you will go” theme. 
  • Question for STM(+) re blackout curtains. Like many of you, we’re planning on having baby in our room for awhile, and we do not have blackout curtains. I don’t care for them, but if you tell me that I need them because the baby will sleep better, I guess I will have to deal 😂 

Also. Do you use blackout curtains at nap time and bedtime, or just bedtime?

Me: 32 years old
    DH: 33 years old
    Married in May 16, 2015
         TTC #1 (on and off) since September 2015
    DS1 Due 6.7.2021
  • @Maggie1202 we used blackout curtains and a sound machine for everything (we also had them in our room but due to my husband's shifting schedules). Our 4 year old still uses both at night. 
  • @maggie1202 We use them at nap time and bed time. When LO was like younger than 6 months he’d pass out anywhere anytime but later having the black curtains became essential. 
  • @Maggie1202 DS was only in our room for 10 weeks and we did not use blackouts in our room.  We did use a sound machine.  When we moved him to his own room we used blackouts for all sleeping.  The ones we use are from Amazon and you can pin them up for when you don't want them.  (Amazon link)
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos

May 2020 FET; BFN
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• Here is a photo of our nursery (with big sis).  Our crib, dresser and glider (as well as the octopus) are from Pottery Barn (crib/ dresser are Rory collection).  We painted the room Glass Slipper by Benjamin Moore.  Note the adorable basket on the floor filled with swaddle blankets we have never used).  We have since added white bookshelves above the glider.  

I'm not sure what we will do when baby comes.  I would really like for them to be in the same room but don't want to interrupt DS sleep so I may wait until she sleeps through the night.  I lasted only 10 weeks of DS in our room because he was so loud (the grunting - so cute but so loud) so new baby may sleep in the guest room or something for a while.  

May 2020 FET; BFN
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• Second @laurad75 - kids rooms have blackout but our room doesn't. We usually keep them in 3-4 months until I can't take the noise anymore 😂 I don't think the curtains made a difference until like 6 months when they start to be more aware of their surroundings
  • Now, that I think about it, I don't think we added blackouts to DS's room until he dropped down to one nap.  He struggled with that transition and shades helped.  

May 2020 FET; BFN
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• DD had blackout curtains in our condo that we lived in until she was 7 months and I think they really helped with naps. Now she has a weirdly shaped window that blackout curtains wouldn't work with, and she is a crappy napper, so I wish we could do them here. She has had a sound machine all along through which is a life saver. 
    *TTC History*

Me: 37, MH: 38; Married August 2017

TTC #1 October 2017: BFP on 12/1/2017, DD born 7/24/2018 @ 37+1 after induction due to preeclampsia

TTC #2 January 2020: AMA, dx with DOR in May 2020

IVF July 2020: 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 12 fertilized, 3 blasts, 2 PGT-A normal

FET 10/7/20: BFP on 10/12/20!!! (EDD 6/25/21); First beta 10/16/20 (9dpt): 148; Second beta 10/19/20 (12dpt): 621; Third beta 10/26/20 (19dpt): 4732; Fourth (and final!) beta 11/2/20 (26 dpt): 22,000+

• This is DD's room now, it's had the same "theme" (black and white and hot pink) since she was born, we moved everything over when we bought our house. There was a picture frame collage thing about the changing table but she kept kicking it, lol. You can see the annoying uncoverable window though.

*TTC History*

Me: 37, MH: 38; Married August 2017

TTC #1 October 2017: BFP on 12/1/2017, DD born 7/24/2018 @ 37+1 after induction due to preeclampsia

TTC #2 January 2020: AMA, dx with DOR in May 2020

IVF July 2020: 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 12 fertilized, 3 blasts, 2 PGT-A normal

FET 10/7/20: BFP on 10/12/20!!! (EDD 6/25/21); First beta 10/16/20 (9dpt): 148; Second beta 10/19/20 (12dpt): 621; Third beta 10/26/20 (19dpt): 4732; Fourth (and final!) beta 11/2/20 (26 dpt): 22,000+

• @legallykate we have very similar oddly shaped windows with the shutters! For the rounded parts, we cut out and stapled white blackout fabric along the inside (under the shutters) of the window frame. It was hard but made a HUGE difference. For the square part, I bought white, custom, inside-mounted blackout cordless shades. They aren’t 100% blackout bc of the edges but made a really big difference in getting the room dark for naps. With the shutters closed, it’s really dark. 
  • You can get long black out curtains. If I was going to cover that window I would put the curtain rod up above the 1/2 moon shape and long enough it goes across the whole thing.
    I love my black out curtains. 
    Though my kids never used them, just a pull down shade and curtains. 
  • @kristah2 that's exactly was I was thinking and going to suggest! 84 inch curtains either with grommets or those little rings with the clips so they slide really easily on the curtain rod.

For DS we did a woodland theme nursery and used decals to add a little extra charm. For this one we have purchased a mid-century dresser that has very cool starburst handles on it to act as the dresser/changing table. DH is moving out of his small office and we are combining the larger guest room with his office, so he can continue working from home if needed. His office currently has dark blue walls, and we plan to make that his office again once baby is a few years old. We will then move baby into the bigger room, and hopefully by then our basement will be finished so company could stay there on a pull out couch.

Between the starburst dresser and the dark blue walls, I was inspired to do a star themed nursery for this little one, even before I knew boy or girl. I have found some curtains, a rug, and some fun details. A lot of DS's crib sheets and things are a bit worn, so I will probably get some newer crib sheets, changing pad cover, etc to add to the theme.

Here is the dresser. Currently in the basement, so please excuse the mess.

~~Signature~~
    Me: 36, DH: 38, Together since: 2006, Married: 9/2011 
    **TW Living Child**

BFP 9/19/20 - EDD - 6/1/21

BFP 2/2014 - DS - 10/2014

• Ah! We have so much work to do before we can even think about starting the nursery. We have to create a guest space in our finished basement, so our oldest can move to the guest room (which is also in the basement-she’s 9.5 and thrilled to have her own bathroom LOL), so we can make the room closest to ours a nursery. We still don’t know the sex of the baby for 2 more weeks, and that affects decor *some*. I’ve toyed with having a Harry Potter nursery, but not sure. I also like bird aesthetic so thought about doing a bird theme of some sort. Who knows. I think once we know the sex and we get started on our chain reaction of home changes (our huge sectional  in the basement gets moved 1/24) then the ball will get rolling!
    Married <3 August 2010
    DD1  <3 August 2011
    DD2 <3 August 2013
    DD3 <3 February 2017
  • We have a “sitting area” in our room that is more like it’s own room. That is going to be the nursery for probably the first 9-12 months then we plan on them sharing a room or doing something different so I have my room back. I was kind of thinking a zoo/jungle theme but now after seeing the book idea I had another idea. DD has a cute book that is full of nursery rhymes and the illustrations with it are little wool pictures. I think I would like to do framed wool blocks that depict nursery rhymes. I’ll try to take some photos of the book to share here so it seems less strange. 
  • @disgruntled_pelican Unsure of your plans on the basement, but we installed a Lori Wall Bed in our basement family/rumpus/guest room, which has worked out great. Less expensive than normal Murphy beds because it doesn't have the spring mechanism, but was fairly easy to put together and we like that it folds up and out of the way for the 90% of the time we don't have guests. My parents have said that it's very comfortable, too. Only piece of advice would be to get it pre-finished or put the paint/finish you want on *before* you build it. We were indecisive and did it after it was all built, which was kind of a mess (came out nicely though, went with a weathered gray stain and matte finish). 

After my appointment yesterday my mom started listing off all the old toys and stuff they have from when I was a kid (small rocking chair, small wooden table & chair set, among others). Now that I think about it, if we go with mountains/woods on the walls and that furniture it may wind up looking like Red Riding Hood theme since the furniture has an almost-Germanic heart pattern painted on them. 
  • @it_is_a_baby - That's a lovely nursery, and beautiful picture!
  • @marebear15 Thank you so much!