April 2021 Moms

September Appointments Thread

124»

Re: September Appointments Thread

• @theblondebump GOOD FOR YOU! Sheesh man that's just nuts!! I would absolutely NOT think that that's unreasonable to ask at all. But man oh man, if that's the way that OB reacts to a request then you surely DO NOT want her delivering your baby or providing your care for the next 6 months!!
  • @bbrahmbhatt Shucks!  Hope you pass the 3 hour test.  I have to take the one hour test at my next appointment because I failed last time.  I can't remember if I posted about this already, but I started taking this supplement recently in the hopes that it helps keep my blood sugar in check.  I checked with my OB and she gave me the go-ahead to do it.  It's supposed to help improve insulin sensitivity.  There seems to be some pretty good evidence that inositol helps prevent GD.  I was surprised my OB said I could take it because I checked with my SIL first (who is also an OB) and she said it's not in widespread use and insulin is the gold standard.  I would 100% rather prevent GD from developing than control it with insulin if possible, so I'm hoping this stuff helps me.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @bbrahmbhatt oh interesting about the risk factors. Honestly, 3rd trimester is really late and they have a hard time balancing testing women early enough to catch those who develop it early vs. late enough to catch those who don't develop GD until 3rd trimester so it's kind of arbitrary. Better to know and have it under control if it's an issue than wait for another 4 months to be tested but would be a bummer this early. My maternal grandfather had T1 and so does my maternal uncle but apparently since my mom doesn't have it, it's not a risk factor for me and I don't have any others (and have not developed it in my prior 2 pregnancies).

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• I am getting the impression I really do not want to have to drink this drink, huh? @kvh22

• @theblondebump haha it's a lot of personal preference on the flavor and whether it's kept cold but it just makes me feel like crap (you're supposed to be fasting or not have eaten too much - she asked if I was fasting and I said I had some yogurt which she said was fine which surprised me once I realized she thought I was taking the GD test). I am considering buying a $30 glucose monitor and tracking my numbers for a week if my OB at my new practice would be okay with that instead but idk if I'd have the discipline to do it. I am a salty/sweet person and the fake fruit flavor of the drink is tough for me but I've had others just describe it as similar to flat soda of whichever flavor you get. I honestly don't know if I could have done it without throwing up today with the morning sickness. You have a certain amount of time you have to drink it in and the first time with it being warm I was cutting it close and a bit worried I'd get sick but the second time with it cold I did just fine getting it and keeping it down.

• @theblondebump my experience with the drink - when I was pregnant with DD1 and did not have GD, the drink seemed a little gross to me but I got it down fine for both the 1 hour and 3 hour. With DD2 I was like “hey this drink isn’t bad at all!” and probably could have actually had more of it with no
    problem...and that time I actually did have GD. Haha! It does just taste like flat soda. A nurse sat with me while I drank it and talked to me and timed me, and her conversation helped distract me from the taste of the drink. 
  • @theblondebump I wouldn’t want it regularly by any means, but I wouldn’t say it was horrible. I’ve definitely had to endure worse tasting drinks for medical tests (barium shake anyone???) But everyone is different too on what makes them gag. It’s super sweet and like @kvh22 said it’s just like a really flat soda. With DS1 I was running late for my appointment and had to chug it down in four minutes! That was probably the hardest part of it for me. 
  • @theletlers oh the barium shake is the worst I've ever had too 🤢
    @theblondebump agree with a couple others its not "good" but not that bad either. It's like sweet flat soda. Some places have different flavors to choose from which could make/break the experience.
  • Ok, good to know! Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. @runsoncoffee @theletlers @bblair24 @kvh22

At my last appointment, the bitchy OB said my labs came back with a little bit of glucose and maybe to get out ahead of things we should do the 1 hour test. She was talking about diabetes and I said, just to be clear, this is gestational diabetes were talking about, right? And her response was "Well since you're less than 28 weeks, we can't blame this on the pregnancy, this is just you. Just regular diabetes." I was like ummm ok. But like I said in another thread, I changed practices after that appointment haha so we'll see what the new doctors say about whether I need to do the 1 hour test. 
  • @theblondebump wow, gutsy OB to say that to someone’s face! Seriously, I hope your new OB is nicer as a human being.
  • @theblondebump that’s just not cool!!
  • haha right?! @theletlers @goldpolkadot It was so weird. 
  • @goldpolkadot glad everything seemed to turn out okay! I had the same thing at my appointment last week, but she did it in the opposite order to avoid anxiety. Found hb on sonogram - was healthy, then tried to listen on the doppler but couldn't find it. I can't wait to hear it for the first time!! 
  • @goldpolkadot oh my that sounds nerve wrecking!! Glad baby is doing so well though!
  • I didn’t share this about my appointment last week - I didn’t think of it until now. The US tech first tried to do the ultrasound on my belly and said she’d have to switch to the internal one because she was going to have to press too hard on my stomach and she didn’t want to do that. She said “have you ever been told your uterus points downwards?” And I was like uhh no 😂 She didn’t say anything else about it. Is that weird? I guess because of how it’s positioned it was too early to see things from an outside US. I never had an issue with my previous OB/pregnancies - they always did the first ultrasound internally though. 
  • @theblondebump wow that lady sounds awful
  • @theblondebump ugh horrible bedside manner! I hate when doctors don't explain test results. Can you view your actual lab results? I just had my first tri labs done and a1c was tested - actually the only thing tested related to diabetes, at least for me. That measures your average sugar levels over time - I believe the last 3 months (so not dependent on what you ate that day or exercise that day). Between 5.7% and 6.5% is prediabetes. Is that what she's talking about? I wish she had a conversation with you about it to explain all of that if that's what it was. Also, sorry if that's more information than you wanted 😂 I'm kind of obsessed with learning about diabetes because of my family history.

• haha I honestly have no idea!! @kvh22 I literally went to get my blood work by a certain date (I even went on a Sunday!) to ensure that the results would be in my my appointment last week specifically so that the doctor could go over it with me. And she was literally walking out of the room without having said a word about my results, so I was like wait! Can you see the results of my blood work and go over it with me? And she was like oh. ok. And she was like ok, you don't have HIV, don't have hepatitis, like literally just told me all of the things I already knew lol and then hardly anything about the diabetes thing. Thankfully I have another appointment on Wednesday so I will ask much more about it then! And I can see my lab results online technically, BUT my NIPT results are in there and they will say the gender of the baby and I don't want to know! So I'm trying to avoid the lab results haha. I'll have to just wait until Wednesday for a different doctor to hopefully explain things a little better! 

• Congrats to all the mommas hitting that second trimester mark this week! 
  • @theblondebump oh man yea I didn't think of that. One of the reasons I don't get NIPT (plus just don't feel the need to pay OOP for it but it would have been thousands with the first so now it just seems normal to not get it even though it's way cheaper). I'm very into my lab results lol. I'll just say to definitely ask about it specifically at your next appointment. It's easily treated but can be a big deal if not treated.

• Random question: anyone able to get their flu shot at their appointment? I forgot to ask at my 8wk appointment so I sent them a note. I've always gotten it at the OB's office in my prior 2 pregnancies but not sure if they're doing it differently with Covid. It'd be much more convenient to get it then instead of having to go to the flu clinic. DD1 got hers at her appointment in September but DD2's last appointment was in August and they didn't have them yet so DH needs to take her and get his and hers. I'm bummed b/c I'm super crazy the rest of the week except for today but didn't think of it to ask until now and might not hear in time to be able to go run out and do it before my meetings start today.

• @kvh22 I got mine, but through the kids’ pediatrician’s drive-through clinic. They let the whole family go at once so I was thrilled we got that knocked out in a matter of 5 min. 
  • @BuckeyeNut05 ugh yea I wish we had something drive through like that. I'm surprised I still haven't heard back from the office on this. DD2 also didn't get her flu shot (I know - they weren't available) but it's on our EOB for her visit - no charge to us but I'm sure they'd charge us if we got a "second" one. So many billing issues with them.

Oh AND I'm pissed and need to call my insurance. I do high deductible HSAs but have never been charged for my dating ultrasound b/c it's standard care. I got the full bill for it this time. Not thrilled. My deductible is $2,500 which I don't think I'd hit this year even with the blood work, NT, and A/S. Last pregnancy I had two ultrasounds that I paid for OOP b/c I hadn't met my deductible w/ the SCH bleeding but didn't have to pay for the dating ultrasound. Blehh hopefully it's a mistake.

• @BuckeyeNut05 drive through whole family flu clinic sounds like a dream! We have to make 3 separate appts here - I’m trying to time mine for October since I’m immunocompromised and really need the protection through next spring. 

I had my genetic counseling appt today and go for the NIPT blood draw this afternoon. They said I’ll have results by next Tuesday at the latest! 
  • @theblondebump glad you switched practices! Knowing that won't be an option will be much more reassuring as things get closer!

No appointment for me until 17 weeks -- uggggh. Super hard to go 9 weeks without an appointment, especially now that the nausea has passed and I'm like ummm... you in there baby? 
  • @kvh22 my OB office offers the flu shot for me and DH in the office. 

I've had a few ultrasounds at the OB office so far, but tomorrow I have my first one at the maternal fetal medicine center, so like a more legit ultrasound haha (NT scan). I'm excited that hopefully I'll be able to see a little more and maybe finally hear the heartbeat! 
  • @kvh22 I'm totally hoping that I can get my flu shot through my OB!! I totally forgot to ask last week!!