April 2021 Moms

September Appointments Thread

Re: September Appointments Thread

• cagncoo12cagncoo12 member
    edited September 2020
    @bluey101321 Your appointments sound frustrating! Are you high risk at all? Generally they only do ultrasounds at every appointment if you are high risk. Or maybe it's just how your OB does it... they all seem to do things a little different! 

Could be a second, but, you may have seen the yolk sac on your ultrasound when your doc skimmed over it. When my ultrasound tech skimmed over it a couple weeks ago, i just about had a heart attack, and she assured me it wasn't another baby... just the yolk sac. It provides nutrients till the placenta takes over. 

Unless you are doing HCG bloodwork during the first few weeks, you probably won't have any bloodwork done until 10 weeks. At least, that is when my doctor does basic panels, NIPT and starts urine cultures. 

Hope this helps and that you get some more time with your doctor at your next appointment! 
  • @cagncoo12 I haven’t been told I’m high risk for any reason. I’m 29 and had no complications with prior pregnancies. Only things that stand out are my negative rh factor (which never made me high risk before) and the fact my BMI was low (Normal for me) when I conceived, but my doctor hasn’t brought that on since I’ve gained weight again. That sounds more likely for the bloodwork too if I think back with my son. I just saw that so many mamas on here had bloodwork done nearly right away and worried something was over looked in all the chaos. I had all these questions ready to go the last appt but just POOF, he was gone!🤣 

LOL! You know exactly what I’m talking about then with seeing that! I nearly had a heart attack too but it was over so fast! I think that totally could have been the yolk sac now that I’ve looked it up.😅 That sits well with me too, twins is a scary thought for me! 

Thank you so much for all the info, it’s given me reassurance.😊 I hope the next one I get more time too. 
  • Loading the player...
  • lbonistalbonista member
    edited September 2020
    So I made it clear to my doctor that I was not interested in continuing my pregnancy if there was something wrong.  I just had my 8 week appointment and they brought up testing they could do next time, 12 weeks (also showing the sex of the baby).  I  am assuming what she brought up is pretty standard and will be covered by my insurance.  I don't mind paying up to 1000 dollars but I cannot afford a 10K bill.  Anyone know about how this works.  I have HMO but I would assume that HMO/PPO wouldn't make a difference with coverage.
  • @lbonista you need to get the testing codes and call your provider to see what is covered and what you’ll be responsible for paying. My doctor has all the genetic testing and other codes listed on their OB patient information page, but I’m sure if you call someone at their office can help you find what you need so you can call.
  • @lbonista My OB said NIPT would not be covered for me because I am 31 and not high risk. They gave me the billing codes so I could check with my insurance but I'm sure it won't be covered. So the next step was to find out the specific companies my OB uses for the NIPT. They gave me specific numbers to call where I gave my insurance information and they were able to tell me what I would have to pay out of pocket. You can also ask them what the cost would be without insurance (sometimes that's cheaper). One of the companies said if I filled out a survey for them after I got my results, they would limit my out of pocket financial contribution to either $299 (or less if my insurance covered more) but no more than $299. It was really easy to find out all of the info, just took a few phone calls. 
  • I have my first appointment this Friday, the 18th. I'll be 8 weeks and 3 days. By my calculations my date is 4/27/21, but we'l know for sure this coming Friday. 
  • I have my first U/S on Wednesday morning at 10+3. Anxious to get in there and actually see the little bean and make sure all is well since with DS I had already had an ultrasound at this point. I'm another one at a slightly higher probability for multiples, but I'm very doubtful, so I expect to also report only one on board. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kadeephd that’s interesting about testing for GD early! I had it last time with DD2 and wondered if they’d test early this time. I wasn’t sure if having it once made you more likely to have it again. I almost didn’t pass the 3 hour with DD1, so I wouldn’t be surprised if I struggle this time too. Glad your appointment went well! ❤️
  • @bblair24 I think you are definitely more likely to have it again if you have it once.  I was never officially diagnosed last time, because I felt so sick after doing the one hour test that I requested to just be treated like I had it.  I tracked my blood sugar the rest of my pregnancy and only had two readings outside the normal range, so I'm guessing either I didn't have it or had a borderline mild case that I was able to control through diet.  My son was not a big baby and didn't have blood sugar issues.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kadeephd ah yeah, that test can be kind of rough. I was also diet controlled and the only time I had a high reading was when I ate french fries 🙈 And my OB gave me a pass on Thanksgiving, but even then my readings weren’t crazy high. DD2 (my GD pregnancy) was only 5 lbs 6 oz when she was born, compared to DD1 who was over 8 lbs and wasn’t a GD pregnancy! 
  • @theblondebump I was curious about the NIPT screening too-- my OB was like you should go ahead and do it just in case something comes up as flagged in another blood test, it will give you more clarity if that's accurate or not. I appreciated her signing off on it for me since we did IVF with genetic testing, so I would have understood if she didn't go for it. I was like well I'm getting blood taken anyway, just take another vial!
  • @mommeleon Hahaha! You and your husband are so brave! Multiples terrifies me! :D

@squishysmum So happy to hear your appt went well and you got to see your little sweet pea! My appts thus far have been kinda rushed too, so I get the frustration. I hope you get all the time you need and then some next time to soak it all in. <3

• A good friend of mine had GD with her first.  She was really regimented with working out and eating with her second.  She didn't get it the second time and felt amazing her whole pregnancy, crazy how that stuff happens!
  • I actually felt amazing when I was eating for my GD diet! I’ve since learned that my body doesn’t process carbs well and they’re usually the cause of my digestive issues. So being forced to eat that way made me feel so healthy, and it also kept weight gain to a minimum which was nice after she was born. 
  • @kelseyyh @kadeephd yay for great US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • @mamabee1113, I don't have my first US until 10 + 3 too!  The very last day of September. And like you, I had my first US at 8 weeks with my last pregnancy. I'm seeing the same practice and doctor, but for some reason they seem super swamped. I wonder if they're trying to reduce / separate visits due to COVID?  I'm not sure but the suspense is killing me. I'm slightly comforted by the fact that I've been feeling so awful so I feel like the bean must be growing in there...sucking every last drop of my energy...lol. 

Congrats to everyone on their exciting US's! 
  • @bblair24 I think of GD as more of a continuum than 'you have it or you don't.'  They have to place the cut-off somewhere, but if you just barely pass the GD test vs just barely failing, I don't see how those two scenarios are very different in terms of how your body is dealing with sugar/carbs.  Even if I don't get an official diagnosis this time I will be careful and check my sugar occasionally just because I know I have issues processing sugar.  I've noticed GD babies (when the GD is well controlled) tend to be smaller because their moms are eating so well and keeping track of everything, so avoiding sugar spikes, that other moms may not be thinking about at all.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kadeephd that makes sense about it being a continuum. I have considered trying to find my little blood sugar tester just to have on hand, but I really have no idea where it is. We moved since then and I’m not even sure it made the move with us. With DD1 I barely passed and DD2 I didn’t even come close to passing. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if I completely fail this time too!
  • @bblair24 Did you ob tell you when you'll be tested?  I was hoping I could wait until the normal time but I guess it makes sense to test early.  I found my monitor and have been testing every once in a while... so far so good.  However I haven't dumped a bunch of sugar in my system on an empty stomach so who knows how my body will do with that.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kadeephd I have my first appointment tomorrow, so they might mention it then! I’m glad your tests have been good thus far. I hope they don’t want to test me too early - there’s no way I could stomach that drink right now. Hopefully it can wait until the nausea has passed. 
  • @mommeleon So sweet to be open to twins 💕. I hope your US is wonderful!

My due date was bumped 4 days, so I’m 9 weeks today (which makes my due date 4/20 😅). I’m right on the edge of having a May baby, as my son was 9 days late after being induced...we’ll see! My doctor was able to hear the heartbeat, which was 170 ❤️. I’m so grateful. 
    Hubby & Me: Born 1993
    Married: August 2013
    Son: December 2018
    Baby in heaven: February 2020, was due Sept

• @kelseyyh @goldpolkadot @kadeephd and anyone I missed....YAY for all the good appointments and US!!

My first appointment and US is on Monday at 9w. I'm excited, but also nervous!
  • @bbrahmbhatt Good luck at your first appointment!

@bblair24 I said the same thing to my dr. about not being able to stomach the drink. I actually asked to just go straight to the 3 hour test if I had to do a test, since I expect to fail the one hour.  She said I can eat some protein beforehand (I thought it had to be fasting) and wants me to do the one hour test first.  Hopefully I pass since it's still pretty early.  I also just ordered this inositol supplement to take every day.  It looks like there is some pretty good evidence from clinical trials that it helps improve insulin sensitivity and reduce the incidence of GD so I'm hoping it'll help.  I'm surprised and excited they said I could take it since it's not really in widespread use.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited September 2020
    I finally caved and called my OB. Everything was fine, my BP was 122/65 (I was hypertensive last pregnancy), my weight is down, and baby is measuring 8w5d with a HB of 181. By LMP, I was 8w5d, with a due date of 4/16.

I was told not to gain or lose weight, so this could be interesting. I have to wean my 7mo from the breast ASAP. He's not pleased by this. And, I need to keep my caffeine below 50mg. Meh. I'm addicted Pepsi. 

I've been referred to perinatology, since I'm like uber Hugh risk, but I knew that would happen. I'm 43, just had a baby in Jan, was hypertensive, and GD, and I have White Coat Syndrome, sooooo yeah...high risk.

Edit spell check
  • @aisukurimsarang If you don't mind me asking, why did they tell you to not gain or lose at all? That seems unreasonable.. And I admit that I don't know anything about being high risk but is that why they recommended that you wean your 7mo? I'm surprised by that because I know a lot of moms have successfully nursed babies well into their pregnancies, so I assume it must be related to your risk status?
  • @aisukurimsarang I'm also surprised by the same things @juliebird6 is. This is my second time nursing during a pregnancy (I expect my milk to dry up by 20 weeks like it did last time). The doctor at my anatomy scan told me I should not be breastfeeding when all of the other doctors I saw (probably 3 different docs by that point b/c of my SCH and squeezing in appointments to check out how it was doing) said it was fine. I'm NOT saying to go against your doctor but I know some will say to stop nursing regardless of high risk or not (and my SCH was so big it was considered a "threatened miscarriage" technically although no one really said it to me that way - but I wasn't allowed to fly for a while so as not to have a miscarraige on the plane as it was a good possibility). I got pregnant 12months pp so a bit more time between pregnancies. Is it a PTL concern with the short gap? I'd still think you could nurse until mid second tri with that but obviously I'm not a doctor. I just wonder if another doctor in the practice would have a different opinion about it as "no nursing while pregnant" is an old school theory that some doctors have, again, regardless of any risk factors. Your OB might have gone more into it than just saying to stop ASAP so apologies if all of the above is overstepping.

@bblair24 SCH's vary in size a lot and mine was big for 9 weeks when it started (it was around half of the gestational sac and I actively bled a LOT) so don't let what I just said freak you out. There were 5 or 6 moms in my last BMB with SCH's - we actually had a separate thread on it - and mine was the biggest/most concerning of all of us and I was just fine (but did have a 10lb lifting restriction which was tough with a 20something pound toddler).

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @aisukurimsarang I too am curious why they told you to wean your 7 month old asap?? It is fairly outdated advice to not breastfeed while pregnant unless you are very high risk for preterm labor. This is my third pregnancy I am nursing through even with close pregnancies and a condition that puts me higher risk. Anyway if you arent ok with it and if you arent at high risk for preterm labor (I see you say you are high risk but its really only specifically for preterm labor that this would be of any concern... not quite sure what exactly your conditions are) I would ask more questions/do some research for yourself.

@BuckeyeNut05 my due date was moved from 4/29 to 5/4 so I'm there with you! Will also likely still have an April baby. 
  • edited September 2020
    @runsoncoffee @kvh22 @juliebird6, I was surprised, as well. It was explained as they were worried about the physical strain on me. Maybe because I'm "elderly" at 43 :neutral: But, she explained it as DS2 will get exactly what he needs. The new baby will get exactly what THEY need. But, my body only gets the leftovers. I've been anemic or borderline in all my previous pregnancies, so maybe they're worried about that? I don't think I'll completely wean. But, I'm aiming to have him on bottle only during the day, and nursing at night. From what I understand, many babies will self wean around the 24w mark anyway, as milk production drops.

As far as the weight, I'm overweight as it is. The idea is don't lose or gain more than 10lbs. Remember that not gaining any weight in pregnancy is the same as losing 35lbs while pregnant. My last pregnancy, I gained 12lbs and was 25lbs less than prepregnant weight at discharge. Weight loss in the beginning won't bother them, but they want me to weigh around this amount when I deliver. 

Edit - @runsoncoffee, My High Risk Portfolio: -Chronic Hypertension (while pregnant), over 40, anemic, overweight, Gestational Diabetic, and a partridge in a pear tree. 
  • @kvh22, thank you for the info! I’ve seen them talked about in all of my BMBs but never really looked in to them. She did mention that it slightly increases the chance of a miscarriage, but didn’t seem to think that applied to me specifically. I am glad to have all the facts but would have been fine if she had left that part out, sooo I’m glad to hear your experience! She didn’t tell me a measurement for mine, just that it was small. So I’m going to try to take her (and your!) word for it, that it’s nothing to be concerned about. 
  • @BuckeyeNut05 YAY!! So happy to see you here, friend!

@bblair24 yay for a great US! Wow, you totally passed me by now lol!

@mamabee1113 yay for a good appointment! You are always welcome with us!
  • @bbrahmbhatt I know, I feel a little bit like I cheated by being given a new due date! 😂