Eco-Friendly Family

Eco-Friendly Live Chat with Tom's of Maine & The Green Mama HERE!

1235»

Re: Eco-Friendly Live Chat with Tom's of Maine & The Green Mama HERE!

• rayalan said:

@thegreenmama what would you say is the single most important thing to do to raise a healthy baby??  

I"m going to cheat and answer three!

1. What is healthy for your child is also healthy for the world. So, it is okay to focus on the small and to focus on what matters to you.
    2. Learn to worry smarter. Parents are biologically programmed to worry. But a world with microscopic toxins is very different than a world where the greatest threats were big predators running towards your child across the fields. So, we have to retrain ourselves to worry about the things that are truly most likely to effect the health and happiness of our children. It’s easy to get scared about letting our older child play alone on the playground, but it’s essential for our older children to develop these skills and to benefit from free play and from outside time.
    3. Have a community that inspires you and models the kind of parent you want to be.

Have fun!

This is such a great answer! It gives me the warm and fuzzies :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @TomsofMaine, thanks for the live chat! I have learned a lot more about your products and look forward to trying them out :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you to everyone who participated today! We were thrilled to get so many questions about our new line of baby products and how to raise an eco-friendly family! We really appreciate everyone's support of our business! -Liz

Thanks for having us all! I'd love to participate in more chats like these that help educate parents about new products and ways to be more eco-friendly! Enjoy the rest of your day!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Dee719 said:

@TomsofMaine, my daughter gets irritated skin, mostly during the winter or summer seasons. She gets a bit of eczema, mostly in her forearms. I currently use unscented cream, for that type of skin. Being that your products are all natural, would it be safe to use a scented cream from your line on her and not worry about irritation? I love scented products and of course, since she gets easily irritated, I steer clear from them. 

Following this too...this happens to me as well. I use a washcloth and scrub my skin a bit to make sure it's super clean and that seems to help a little.

Hello there! This is Manda from @TheGreenMama. Eczema is a massive concern for many, many parents. I've seen parents whose children are covered from head to toe in itchy rashes. Remember, however, that eczema is often caused by something going on inside the body. Usually, my first thought, is food sensitivities.  (read more about how to deal with this and how to do an elimination diet at my website at www.thegreenmama.com or ask more follow-up questions there).

As for products, make sure you treat their entire body as if it were a big sore as that is likely what it feels like to your child. I would use products with only one ingredient or two for now. For instance, cocoa butter with some calendula added.  Then, as their insides heal, you will be able to get by with more range of products. (And, yes, you are right to entirely avoid any artificial fragrance in your products, including in your laundry products, cleaning products, or elsewhere as they can add to the irritation too.
  • We will be announcing the winner of the Babies 'R Us gift card and Tom's of Maine prize pack tomorrow! Stay tuned.
  • Thanks to EVERYONE who participated and @TomsofMaine for inviting me!

Please come visit and ask follow-up questions if you like at www.thegreenmama.com.

Remember, you are the expert on the care of your own families!

• Thank you to everyone who particilittle one didn't decides to joinpated today! We were thrilled to get so many questions about our new line of baby products and how to raise an eco-friendly family! We really appreciate everyone's support of our business! -Liz

Thank you for having us! I can't wait to try out the new baby line when this little one finally decides to join us! :-)
  • Dee719 said:

@TomsofMaine, my daughter gets irritated skin, mostly during the winter or summer seasons. She gets a bit of eczema, mostly in her forearms. I currently use unscented cream, for that type of skin. Being that your products are all natural, would it be safe to use a scented cream from your line on her and not worry about irritation? I love scented products and of course, since she gets easily irritated, I steer clear from them. 

Following this too...this happens to me as well. I use a washcloth and scrub my skin a bit to make sure it's super clean and that seems to help a little.

Hello there! This is Manda from @TheGreenMama. Eczema is a massive concern for many, many parents. I've seen parents whose children are covered from head to toe in itchy rashes. Remember, however, that eczema is often caused by something going on inside the body. Usually, my first thought, is food sensitivities.  (read more about how to deal with this and how to do an elimination diet at my website at www.thegreenmama.com or ask more follow-up questions there).

As for products, make sure you treat their entire body as if it were a big sore as that is likely what it feels like to your child. I would use products with only one ingredient or two for now. For instance, cocoa butter with some calendula added.  Then, as their insides heal, you will be able to get by with more range of products. (And, yes, you are right to entirely avoid any artificial fragrance in your products, including in your laundry products, cleaning products, or elsewhere as they can add to the irritation too.
    Great info! I never thought to look at the diet! Any tips or sites for how to do an elimination diet for a toddler? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @TheGreenMama @TomsofMaine is it possible to over-moisturize my 10 month old? I'm in LOVE with the smell!!!
  • BumpTara said:

We will be announcing the winner of the Babies 'R Us gift card and Tom's of Maine prize pack tomorrow! Stay tuned.

Good luck everyone! I'll be sleeping with my fingers crossed the whole night :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks to EVERYONE who participated and @TomsofMaine for inviting me!

Please come visit and ask follow-up questions if you like at www.thegreenmama.com.

Remember, you are the expert on the care of your own families!

Thank you for hosting! Bookmarking your site :) I'll definitely be asking some more questions about pregnancy and toddlers...Take care!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • danitapia88danitapia88 member
    edited April 2015
    Awesome..... @BumpTara .....good.luck..everyone....and thank you once more...
  • @TheGreenMama Do you recommend In-home daycare or daycare center, which one provides better care for the child?
    Thanks for the question @ekodeski. Daycare isn't @thegreenmama's expertise, but The Bump's stance is that it's a personal choice and there is no right or wrong answer :)

Hi there. Sorry I missed this earlier! It's really a personal decision. I have worked with a daycare--a big corporate daycare-- that was so green that they provided all organic food (and you could pick up dinner for your family to take home even), cloth diapered all of their kids, used only green cleaning, and provided natural and wooden toys and art supplies. Similarly, I have seen small childcares--such as Lifeways--that follow a home-like routine with small groups, lots of love, home-cooked meals, natural toys, and lots and lots of outdoor and imaginative play. I think it's the quality of the care and the quality of the decisions they are making and how closely they reflect your values and the overall health of your child.

• I don't know if I missed a response but posting this again:

Hi everyone! @TheGreenMama: Any tips on making DIY safe and effective diaper wipes spray for my cloth diaper system?

Sorry I missed this earlier. It went so fast!

I have a recipe for a DIY diaper wipe spray from page 123 of my book. (www.thegreenmama.com/book) 

Here it isL:

• @tomsofmaine , @thegreenmama
    My baby has bad eczema and no product worked so far. Does Tom make any eczema safe product? Especially whenever I use soap, my baby's skin get inflammation. 
    Any advice will help!
  • I don't know if I missed a response but posting this again:

Hi everyone! @TheGreenMama: Any tips on making DIY safe and effective diaper wipes spray for my cloth diaper system?

Sorry I missed this earlier. It went so fast!

I have a recipe for a DIY diaper wipe spray from page 123 of my book. (www.thegreenmama.com/book) 

Here it is.

Oops. It wouldn't let me paste.

Here's a blog article from my Home Ec section with the recipe: https://thegreenmama.com/homeec/diy-baby-wipes/

• puteri77 said:

@tomsofmaine , @thegreenmama

My baby has bad eczema and no product worked so far. Does Tom make any eczema safe product? Especially whenever I use soap, my baby's skin get inflammation. 
    Any advice will help!
    HI! I answered a similar question above and I am going to continue the conversation on my website! Come check it out at www.thegreenmama.com. But, long answer short, eczema is a major problem for lots of parents and I'd say first eliminate all perfumes, odors, and harsh ingredients of any kind (see above) and then look at the diet!
  • Dee719 said:

Great info! I never thought to look at the diet! Any tips or sites for how to do an elimination diet for a toddler? 
    I'm going to do a small series in honor of your question. So come on by www.thegreenmama.com and check it out.
  • Is the daycare you are referring to a nation wide daycare? If so I would be interested in seeing if they have one in the phoenix/chander Arizona area.
  • ekodeski said:

Is the daycare you are referring to a nation wide daycare? If so I would be interested in seeing if they have one in the phoenix/chander Arizona area.

No, but I did work with a daycare in Arizona once. It was part of a TV episode and I can't remember the daycare's name. HEre's the episode: https://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/the-lazy-environmentalist-2010/episode-6-season-2/daycare-jewelers/297652

The other daycare is in  Chicago!

T
  • Dee719 said:

I'm going to do a small series in honor of your question. So come on by www.thegreenmama.com and check it out.
    :) Great! Can't wait to read it...when will it be on your site?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kemaeskemaes member
    edited May 2015
    How do we find out who won? I checked the Tom's FB page and didn't see anything there, either. Thanks!
  • Thanks everyone for participating! The winner of the chat is @Dee719. Congrats!
  • Dee719Dee719 member
    Thank you again! 
  • LOVE LOVE LOVE your new baby care items...will you be expanding to wipes, diapers or diaper rash cream ever? I vote YES :)

We're in the process of launching a diaper cream right now! And sunscreen, too! You can find them online soon at Amazon and Drugstore.com!
    Will your diaper cream be cloth-diaper safe?
  • edited October 2018
  • Eco friendly family is very cool) I support you ) I like eco products. I think that is the best variant for my children and my all family 😊
  • Thanks for the information.