November 2020 Moms
Options

August Randoms

Re: August Randoms

• Options
    @vetgirl2011 That is super hard. SO don't feel bad for being upset about it. I don't know how you are monitoring it, but when I was a dietitian in the hospital and educating those with gestational diabetes we usually said count carbs and every once in a while including a small treat with those counted carbs is okay. 
  • Options
    Thanks @mtengl! I felt stupid crying over a food craving, but I’m trying so hard to keep my numbers good for the baby! I am counting carbs and doing BG 4 times per day. I also take insulin at night because my fasting numbers were always a little high. I was only told that I could have a treat if it fits in with my carb count for that meal/ snack. It is really hard some days. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @vetgirl2011 That is good advice. Don't ever feel stupid for crying over a food craving. It is really hard to restrict your diet. It sounds like you are doing an amazing job and you have such a strong reason to. 
  • Options
    @mtengl it’s our parents who probably wouldn’t be able to or willing to self quarantine for two weeks.  I think we are just going to do a super small outdoor thing
  • Options
    @bserena oh what great news! I"m so happy to hear that for you :)  Have you heard anything further with school regarding your chem 2 class? Also how did the exam go?  

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• Options
    @bserena good work!!! Booooo at not knowing who your profs are yet.  *fist shake*

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• Options
    @bserena that’s amazing to hear about work and school!! hopefully you find out the professors soon, in the mean time celebrate your other not so small victories!!💛💛
  • Options
    @bserena that is awesome!!! So glad they are paying for 6 weeks and working with you on transitioning back in!! That's such a great deal!
  • Options
    That’s so awesome @bserena I wish more big and small employers could follow their lead. Good for them and for you! And congrats on your exam grade!
  • Options
    Thank you everyone! :) 
  • Options
    @bserena awesome news on your test and leave!  
  • Options
    @hedgepig WHAT? Two days? TWO?! 😮 wtaf. That is such complete and utter bullshit. I took off more time the first year DD was born than any other time. Babies have appts, get sick, etc. Being forced to use sick time/vacation time for mat leave is so wrong. You are so so right that mat leave in the US is a bunch shit. 

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• Options
    @hedgepig No way!!!! I totally thought/assumed that teachers would get really good (or at least decent) MAT leave. That is insane! 

@lurvleybunchococonuts I carry our insurance too so I definitely get that. My check would be SO much bigger if it wasn't for that. Ugh, we really do get so screwed here in the US it is crazy! Everytime I see/hear about leave in Canada or other places I get so frustrated with the system in place here. We can do so much better.
  • Options
    @hedgepig Two days!?!?!?!?!?! I can't get over that. It's like we're in the old country where you'd squish a baby out and then it was back to the fields for you!
  • Options
    @hedgepig I really wasn’t expecting any paid maternity leave, but I recently learned that I get two weeks. Yay. 2 days is a slap in the face! Why have it at all?

I’m trying to decide how to take my leave as well. I was thinking about doing 10 weeks and then 4 weeks of part time to ease myself back into it. And that would count as my twelve weeks. I think a lot of people don’t realize that you can break it up like that. Like I think you could go PT for 24 weeks, that way you can have a little income coming in. 

I’m going to be going straight into busy season, I’m not looking forward to working 60 hours a week when I come back FT.
  • Options
    @potofgolden It depends on the job. My last job wouldn't let me do part time FMLA. It was full or not at all. Which is BS because my co-worker was able to do part time to take care of his wife after she had her baby at the same time I had DD, but I couldn't come back just part time FMLA. @hedgepig I was also working in the school districts as administration for child nutrition program so yeah school systems aren't great when it comes to maternity leave. We did have a disability program which if you paid into they gave you about half of your pay for 6 weeks. Also they required me to use all my sick/vacation leave and It doesn't refresh or I didn't build back up until my new contract started it was crap so I feel you!!

I technically don't qualify for FMLA until like the day before my due date, but my new job is much more reasonable. They said I could take paid time or unpaid off until I qualify for FMLA and then start FMLA from there. I don't have any paid during leave except for any paid time I want to use. I haven't talked to them about part time for a couple of weeks but I may do 8-10 weeks FMLA and then 1-2 weeks part time if they let me. But I may be working from home still so it might not matter. 

Work has been busy this week. Not a moment to breath when I am on the clock really. Then chasing the kid off the clock. DD is sleeping in my bed and has been for three weeks now. She wakes up screaming and won't go back into her crib even when she is asleep. I am exhausted!
  • Options
    @lurvleybunchococonuts @bserena @laurenmicheley Wanna know the crazy thing? Not that long ago the paid maternity leave in my district was ONE day, but the paternity leave was TWO days! Whaaaa? Anyway, I know some districts have way better paid leave options, and like @mtengl said, some have a special short term disability program, but you have to know ahead of time to start paying in to it. 
    Luckily for me, this time we split my workload up so I am only teaching 1st and 4th quarters, which means I I won't have to deal with a maternity sub, or technically taking leave, but it does leave me unpaid for half the year. I'm happy to have the opportunity to be home with baby, but am not looking forward to a few lean months...
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• Options
    Man, all of this discussion about maternity leave in the U.S. sure is depressing. Only to be followed by the obscene costs of daycare. I remember just tearing myself up about trying to decide what to do about it and ended up  quitting my job to stay home as I would have been pretty much paying to work when the childcare costs were offset, especially knowing we wanted a second pretty quickly after. It was one of the toughest decisions ever as I pretty much had the dream job that I'd been working towards for the entire decade prior and never had had any real sentiments or thoughts about being a SAHM. It's still hard for me to think about it too much and not get super resentful that I felt pushed into that position by how impossible this country makes it to raise children on any type of reasonable budget.
  • Options
    @auburnvelvet86 so true. I have done the cost of stay at home versus going to work and babysitting multiple times. unfortunately I still would need an income even with the kids home... I need to cut down some bills again once this kid comes along because I will be paying 1350 for daycare each month... Which is is almost double what my mortgage is... 
  • Options
    I was just complaining to my mom about maternity leave! I teach at a community college, I can use my sick leave in conjunction with FMLA. Here's what made me so mad last time, I didn't know I had a limit on how much sick leave I can use.  I chose to take off the entire semester (last baby was due early Jan). In my head, 16 week semester, I will do 8 weeks from sick leave to get paid and 8 weeks unpaid (minus that since FMLA only is 12 weeks I would have to pay the employee and employer portion of my insurance for the last 4 weeks). Nope. You can only take 6 weeks sick leave for vaginal delivery and 8 weeks for a c section regardless of how much leave you have.

All of it's such a pain. I feel very grateful for the little bit I do get, but it should be better for everyone! 
  • Options
    @mia80 okay I know it’s only a show but they talked about this on Working Moms! It’s a Canadian based show and the moms were complaining about going back to work after 9 months of mat leave and my jaw literally dropped!! We get nowhere near that time here in the US 😂 That being said going back to work can be tough for any momma, regardless of the time period, not trying to minimize the difficulties for those with longer mat leaves!
  • Options
    @1sttimemomma98 that show is so great!
  • Options
    I think my employer would have given me 4 weeks of maternity leave, had I stayed.

@teachingbp That seems really wrong to me that your employer cares about how the baby comes out. I know that recovery for vaginal vs cesarean is different (and even within those categories, I sure there’s a range). But as far as my employer is concerned, my vagina is none of their business!
  • Options
    I should probably also add that MH pays close to a third of his income in taxes and theres 25% sales tax on pretty much everything so it's not exactly cheap to live here on a regular basis. The taxes seem so small though in comparison to the stress of having to juggle childcare, work and finances all at the same time as having a newborn baby! Hugs to all you moms!
  • Options
    I love to hear about companies that have great maternity leave packages!!

my company gives 6-8 weeks (8 weeks for c section) at 80% of your salary, FMLA, and “bonding time” which is an additional 4 weeks off with full pay. So a total of 16 weeks off and after that you can use any PTO you have to stretch it more. I have planned to be off from the November to April. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    @babywiik personally, I am ok with paying taxes to have a great things like great leave you don't have to stress about!! 

@wychets that's pretty great!! So nice to be off November to April! I will take off 12 weeks, likely teach for about 12 more and then it will be summer 🙌🏻
  • Options
    I was teaching when I had my first and got no mat leave. I used up 3 years of vacation and then it was summer break. I did come in for an end of the year meeting where they told me they were replacing me... that was fun...
    Now I'm self employed, so I get nothing again, but at least I know I'll have a job afterwards. Lol
    Hubby gets 5 days PTO.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @babywiik don’t at all feel bad about posting what other countries do. I think we just need to make employees treat maternity leave better here. I think being more flexible about allowing people to come back part time would be great. I felt really bad for one my coworkers because she was the breadwinner and she felt she could only take 6 weeks off without pay. 

I slept so soundly last night I didn’t even realize DH came to bed or that at some point DD woke up and she ended up in our bed