Parenting after 35
Options

Large Gap Between Kids

legomalegoma member
edited January 2018 in Parenting after 35
Hi I'm new here, hope I posted this in the appropriate section. Seems like the topic can apply to other areas as well.

I was wondering if there are any moms with large age gaps between children (15+ years)? Please share your story & experience. Would you do it all over again or do you wish the age gap between kids was smaller.

I had my first at 19, raised a single child with my husband, was a stay at home mom for 12 years, went onto study architecture, & purposefully did not have more kids to check off the things I wanted to accomplish in life. My first will be off to college next summer & I'm starting all over again!

This time I am 36, have advanced in my career, will continue to be a working mom, & will raise another single child since my first will start their own journey in life.

I LOVED being a mom to a single child & look forward to raising my second the same way. Although most parents are excited about their plans after kids leaving the nest, my husband & I are excited to relive all those moments again.

Re: Large Gap Between Kids

• Options
    I had my first at 19 too, only I was a single mother. I had a long term boyfriend for years after he turned 1, but ended it when he wouldn’t commit to anything but his mother. Met my husband and had a boy in August of 2016 and am pregnant now due in September. My oldest is graduating from high school this weekend and I have an almost 2yr old and am pregnant. Life is interesting right now!! BTW I am 38 and this is for sure the last one!
  • Options
    I just turned 39 in early November. My kids are 7, 4, & I'm in my first tri with this little pumpkin. My brothers are 14 & 10 years older than me. My mom always said she enjoyed having the age gap because having me at home when the boys were "grown" & gone was a blessing to her. My brothers & I are super close still. :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My husband and his little brother are 19 years apart. Whilst they weren't super close in the earlier years (we were moving all over the place), they have become really good buddies over the years. My husband is 37. His brother is 18. My mother-in-law seems equally proud of her two sons, and I don't think she would have had it any other way!
    Me: 38 DH:38.
    Dating Anniversary: 1999. Marriage Anniversary: 2001.
    TTC #1 since 3/2019
  • Options
    My parents adopted a little girl at 60! My own daughter is the same age as my adoptive sister. She is like a niece to me, I love to see our girls play and grow up together. It’s not the same as your story, but I thought I’d just share.  Family and sibling love come in all sort of shapes. 
  • Options
    My DD is 10 and will be nearly 11 when this new baby arrives. I never planned on this big a gap but fertility issues... so we're excited about starting again... DD was so easy ::knocksonwood::
    DD1 - 2010 TTC v2.0