October 2020 Moms

Facebook Group

2»

Re: Facebook Group

• I’m behind clearly but I’d love an FB group! I had searched for one a while back but didn’t anything. Assuming people don’t like being more “in the open” for understandable reasons. I don’t think I’m a lurker but I do only come onto TB about 1-2/wk these days and try to catch up on all I’ve missed. We’re buying a house so my mind has been preoccupied with all things home / packing / nursery. But, I am much more active on FB and the mom pages I’m in so I’d definitely see more being in a FB group! 
  • KurtniKurtni member
    Something else I think we should decide on is the roll of admins in the FB group... this became an issue in my other BMB. Ie- are the admins “in charge” with authority to make rules, or are they just for organization purposes and we decided on “rules” as a group. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @Kurtni I think once we get the group going we can all agree on some common rules.  I volunteered to be an admin but I don’t want to be the fun police so to speak.  
  • @Kurtni @anitamargarita_82 Agreed! I was definitely thinking admin would be for organizing purposes and not to be a boss. I have no desire to enforce anything but helping the regs get in and keeping the creepers out.
  • @animalandplantrescuer I was just thinking the same thing the last week... it was seeming like we were missing people and I was so sad, hoping that lives had gotten busy and not that anything bad had happened. 

My theory is, if I recognize the name from posting, I would vote you in. So that would include both of you @wineren and @mammatoomc. Obviously everyone is different, and I haven’t had nasty experiences like some others. 🤷🏼‍♀️ 
  • I'm pretty much ready whenever, definitely the private group is the way to go, there is no visibility of what goes there! Everyone I've seen commenting on this thread I'm totally comfortable with joining. I'm also ok with waiting until everyone feels like it's a good time to join, or some people can perhaps join later too. But this app really sucks so I'm anxious lol
  • AB518AB518 member
    I have a Facebook account, but I don't really use it.  I am a very private person, so moving to Facebook will always feel like a big jump to me no matter when it happens.  I ended up not joining my last BMB's Facebook group because I didn't feel comfortable.  I'll probably join this one; it might just take some time for me to feel comfortable to make the switch.  However, the recent random posts are pushing me more towards moving the board to a private group/Facebook.

If I easily recognize someone's screen name, then I don't consider them a lurker.  As other people have said, I was also worried when people left the board.  I was hoping nothing bad had happened, so I was happy to see some familiar names returning to the board.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sorry I'm so late to this thread! I actually wound up in the hospital all weekend (baby is fine but I've got some not-so-fun health conditions and will eventually need a cesarean). I know I'm not a super regular poster but it's been really comforting to read everyone's hopes/fears/random comments during my pregnancy and it has definitely helped me feel like I'm part of a community. I'm not a big fan of Facebook but I do have an account and would be willing to make the jump if that's what everyone is doing (and if you guys would have me). After those incredibly insensitive posts in the "triggery" thread I can totally understand people wanting to move off this platform. Reading that this morning really kinda horrified me. This group is all about supporting each other! Anyway, just wondering if a FB group has been made yet and how I might request to join. 
  • @poppyseed314 can you really give us a good argument why we should invite you into our FB group?  You say you aren’t a regular poster and you’re not a fan of FB.  We haven’t heard from you in months and it appears you don’t interact with any of us other than to comment about yourself.  So why would you even want to join our group?  
  • @anitamargarita_82 I liked feeling like I was a part of something. There's not really a lot of ladies in my life. I'm not a super outgoing person and often find myself not knowing what to say. This group was a way to feel belonging without a strong social pressure. It sounds like the bar for joining the FB group is a lot of posting though, and if that's the case then I just don't think I can promise that. Thanks for letting me be a part of this for a while and I wish everyone here all the best. I'll be sad to be out of the group but I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable 😔
  • @poppyseed314 it’s not just a lot of posting. It’s creating a sense of community and providing support to each when needed, suggestions to help with morning sickness or commiserating with each about our daily aches, pains, and struggles of being pregnant.   You said you read the triggery post and yet you offered no support.  You posted about names you liked but didn’t comment on anyone else’s.  Do you see where I’m coming from?  Lurking is just that.   It’s not being a part of the group that we’ve formed.  
  • I did offer support in the triggery thread, and I have commented on other people's posts in the past, so I guess I don't totally see where you're coming from. But so far no one is "loving" my post so I can take a hint. Maybe this isn't the group for me after all.