September 2020 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight 1/17: Maternity Clothes

This weeks product spotlight is all about maternity clothes!! We can make this an ongoing thread or make another thread down the line once we get further along. But for now we can talk about comfy pants and all that. Feel free to use the prompts or just type away! Links/photos welcome.
I snagged a schedule that's been used I think by a few BMBs now, but if you guys want to add/change anything let me know!!

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to look back and reference!

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fCSvGqefiQ7m-cqNEBzPuaIqF7BL2ost0Ta2sMjC-8w/edit?usp=sharing

For S+TMs (or FTMs that already have said item): 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite maternity clothes/brands/stores:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like and don't like about them:
  • Are there clothes/items you don’t have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there an item you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on maternity clothes?:

For FTMs:

• Clothes/items you're interested in/currently using:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

(template taken from August 2020)

Re: Product Spotlight 1/17: Maternity Clothes

• Options
    Old Navy jeans run long! I usually don't buy a short length (they usually aren't available) and just deal with the scrunch at the bottom. I couldn't wear the regular length Old Navy jeans I bought because they were that long!

For reference I'm 5'2"
  • Options
    For me, I LOVE full panel pants. At first it may seem silly putting your bloated tummy in them, but I couldn’t stand anything pressing on my stomach by the end of the first trimester, so I live in them!

as for shirts, the longer the better! I found some cheap shirts last pregnancy from Old Navy but they didn’t cover the bottom of the bump by the end of my pregnancy and I ended up rocking DHs shirts instead. 

Oh, and I’m all about the BST on FB. Maternity clothes are $$$!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like the full panel pants as well. With my first I didn’t want to wear maternity clothes and really waited awhile to transition but once I did I was so glad. The maternity pants are much more comfy than using the Bellaband. I also have found in the past really cute maternity clothes on clearance at H&M. Picked up the cutest skinny jeans for $6.00. 
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Options
    I like Old Navy maternity clothes, but they stopped carrying them in the stores which is annoying. Also, target has some cute maternity that is reasonably priced. I really only bought maternity jeans, leggings, and a few dresses last time I was pregnant. I like things that fit looser so most of my clothes still fit me. I lived in dresses mostly because it was easy and I was always hot. I wouldn't recommend buying too much maternity clothes unless maybe you work in an office and you need some work clothes. It can get pretty pricey with places like pea in the pod and motherhood maternity. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don’t know... I feel like if you can afford it, buy nice maternity clothes. And buy actually maternity instead of regular clothes a size larger. It’s a time in your life when your body changes so much and if you spend an extra $10+ on the jeans you absolutely love, you are going to feel cute wearing them instead of feeling like a beached whale. 
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Options
    FTMs whatever you do (larger clothes or maternity clothes or a mix. whatever you fancy) pick some things that breathe well and keep you cool. Being pregnant in the heat of summer is no joke. We will likely be at our most uncomfortable when this summer is at it's hottest. Keep that in mind when you are selecting your bump wardrobe. 
    I personally recommend creating a little micro wardrobe of things that mix and match easily. Things that will grow with you. Light things for summer you can throw a cardigan or layer over for the spring but that you won't drown in your own sweat in in August. Pick things you can escape easily when you really need to pee. 
  • Options
    Just read, while lurking the Aug board, that Motherhood is closing. They will probably have some good deals coming up. This disappointing to me because they have always had really cute clothes. And so many places like Old Navy don’t sell maternity in store anymore. 

• Options
    I am another pro-full panel lady. I always felt more comfortable in maternity clothes over larger clothes, but to each their own.

Old Navy, Target and Gap were my favorites.
  • Options
    Prefer full panel because I like a smooth line under my shirts and if it is snug enough it helps hold the heavy belly. Not all full panel bands are created equal. I remember having some Jessica Simpson ones I liked a lot. My go to style for the summer is a dress and sandals. My fav maternity shopping is done at ASOS.com. They have the prettiest dresses and overall different stuff than some of the other stores. Also great staple pieces. Not every shirt from them is striped and ruched which seems to be 80% of the maternity market. I am not a fan of ruching. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If you are on the smaller side it can be really difficult to find maternity wear that fits. (I’m usually a size 00) I had to try many stores before I could find maternity pants that wouldn’t fall off (but a size up pants didn’t work because of the shape of my belly etc). H&M was the best place I found small clothes. Otherwise it was random brands at Marshalls or Ross. 
  • Options
    I personally found it much easier to wear dresses and not worry about a waist band. I love Pink Blush! This is my fifth pregnancy (hopefully second child) and I bloat immediately and gain fast, so I get into maternity clothes very quickly. I have tons of hand me downs and find PB to be the most stylish. 
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • Options
    It took me a minute to find this thread again but I didn’t know where else to put this lol
    i just got the most amazing nursing/maternity bras from Kindred Bravely I got the organic cotton sleep bra and it is the most comfortable bra I have ever worn. Super supportive (I’m a 36DD) both for breasts and my back. 
    One of the hardest parts of bringing home my first baby was the insane back pain recovering from labor/csection and breastfeeding constantly. A good supportive bra is a must! 
    I also love that there are no fumbly clasps to mess with. 
  • Options
    @beaandthebabes I have two tanks from kindred bravely and while they were slightly expensive they are so comfy! I was planning on getting a bra a little bit into breastfeeding because of how much I love the tanks. Oh and I bought some joggers from them too and I wear them every evening. Best Buy ever. 
  • Options
    What kind of jeans are people liking? I am having a hard time finding a pair that the jean material goes high enough in the back and I think it is because my butt and thighs are growing at the same rate as my belly. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Options
    I haven't really bought any maternity clothes per se, just a few pairs of joggers that are a size up and pretty comfy and roomy, but I might look into some for shorts. When it comes to shirts, I've just been wearing either my large shirts from school or work events (always got a size or two larger!) or something of my boyfriend's lol
  • Options
    @Louise_Belcher I love H&M maternity jeans. 

• Options
    +1 for full panel H&M maternity jeans @Louise_Belcher. I only have one pair though - last time around I just lived in skirts all summer and summer is around the corner, right???? 😬 
  • Options
    @jennifer_louise @robyn2201 I will definitely check them out! I have a big stack of jeans and on all of them the denim is cut like low rise in the back so my butt is basically half covered by the stretchy band when I sit or squat and it is so annoying! And I am definitely hoping to live in mostly dresses too! If it would only warm up.
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Options
    I feel like with this lockdown and not going anywhere half my maternity clothes are going to go to waste. I dont feel like putting on jeans or anything other than my maternity leggings and a tank. I guess I can wear something different when I go to the doctor. Haha

• Options
    @robyn2201 Same! And it makes me sad. I have some beautiful work dresses that won’t be getting any love. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Options
    I am also sad about not getting to wear cute maternity clothes out and about! My cousin handed down all these cute maternity dresses and I bought some clothes from old navy with the 50 percent sale and I’m just wanting to wear them out and show off my little bump! I’m hoping maybe by July 😂 it’s just funny because some people we literally haven’t seen since before we even announced our pregnancy so I’m going to look huge to them by the time we can see them! Lol
  • Options
    FTM so I didn't have any maternity clothes and didn't have a chance to get any before the lockdown.  Guess it's saving me some $ not needing them by just staying at home, but I'll definitely be a little stuck when this ends.  Has anyone ever tried renting maternity clothes?  I've seen a  few links for it but wasn't sure if it was worth it. 
  • Options
    Same @momofmiracles31889! I have something like 30 cute maternity dresses. Gonna be treating my neighborhood like a runway this summer. 😂 I miss dressing up for work this time around. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Options
    Anyone have any recommendations for maternity swimsuits? 

I was thinking a tankini style might work best for the twin belly, so when I’m huge if the top lifts a bit I will still be able to use it rather than being stuck with a one piece that just won’t fit at all but I don’t know. I had one summer baby but didn’t have access to a pool and never bought a maternity suit. I was also considering going up a size. 

• Options
    @robyn2201 are you comfortable baring your belly? I used a two piece last time around because I didn't have to worry about how big my belly got... I just used a nice full-coverage skirt style bottom. Your idea of a tankini would be good too if you're okay showing a bit once you get bigger. 

Of course, all our pools are closed now but I have it ready to go when they open! Can't wait to use it
  • Options
    robyn2201robyn2201 member
    edited April 2020
    @jennifer_louise Normally yes, but I just keep thinking about how massive I’m going to be in a couple of months with twins.  Im not so sure how I’m going to feel about showing everyone. Haha 

• Options
    @robyn2201 I just bought a one piece from ASOS but saw they had a variety of 2 pieces. I also saw a number of tankini options at old navy.
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Options
    Haha I get that @robyn2201. It would be nice if they had some extra roomy ones especially for twin mamas but I've never heard or that! 
  • Options
    @robyn2201 I bought a really cute maternity tankini from old navy and am eyeing up another one from them! Still holding onto hope my family won’t have to cancel our end of July beach trip! I find old navy to be reasonably priced for maternity clothes plus they’re always running sales and giving out coupons for following orders. Tankinis are so much easier for having to pee than one pieces which I already have to pee all the time now! And I haven’t been quite as comfortable in a bikini in this season of life chasing a toddler and with my ever changing body between all my hormones from multiples pregnancies. 
  • Options
    elsie42elsie42 member
    I plan on living mostly in dresses this summer but I wanna get a few pairs of shorts too. Fave brands? I feel like I don’t want full panel because it’ll be hot in the summer. 
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • Options
    @elsie42 I bought some shorts from old navy that I’m happy with! They have some that you can wear somewhat over bump or fold over and wear below bump.

what brands of nursing robes/pajamas/lounge wear do you ladies like best? I definitely want to invest in atleast one cute functional robe and matching swaddle if possible! I’ve been looking at latched mama, posh peanut and milkmaid. They’re all pricey but I love the floral prints! 
  • Options
    robinj716robinj716 member
    edited May 2020
    Ordered two solid tees from motherhood maternity for $18.99 each (on sale). 
    Also ordered two solid tees from target for $11 each. 
    I will be buying more of the target tees! So comfy and fit great and much better price point. Motherhood tees were okay, but not near as soft as the target ones. 
    I also ordered jeans from motherhood and read the sizing chart and all and they’re still too small. Now I have to pay to return them. I’ll probably just order online from target for now since they have a physical store I can return to if needed. 

• Options
    @robynj716 that’s good feedback. I have lots of problems with motherhood jeans too. I have some old tanks and one t-shirt but I know I’ll need a pair of shorts this summer. I’ll have to check out target! 
  • Options
    @robinj716 +1 for Target maternity tees! They're soft and really affordable too. I only bought one my first time (because I thought it was plain and a bit boring) but after I wore it I loved it and bought two more.
  • Options
    I stocked up on tees and tanks a couple months ago and have been happy with this 3 pack for $24 from ASOS. I am also in love with this one. I call it my boy mom shirt. :)
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Options
    @louise_belcher those look so comfy!! I want.
    @cabearit what kinds of shirts do you recommend for nursing? like ones that say they're nursing tops/tanks? 
  • Options
    @greyl yep! I have some from Latched Mama that I really love and then a couple from Nursing Queen and Motherhood. Basically anything that allows you to have that top and bottom layer so that you can just move the one piece of shirt that the baby needs to access your boob. I tried the two shirt method, but the reality is that it’s too hot to wear a nursing tank under all my shirts and not all of my shirts looked good with a tank peeking out. 
    Me: 36, H: 37 | Married: 10/15/16 | DS#1: 7/18/04 | DS#2: 4/18/19
    BFP: 1/26/20 | EDD: 9/20/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @cabearit is there anything from latched momma you really loved? I keep seeing there ads and look lol.

@greyl I wouldn’t spend too much on nursing clothes With my oldest it took me way too long to realize that if I could just pull the shirt down far enough to nurse it’s a nursing shirt lol I do love nursing tanks under cardigan sweaters.