December 2020 Moms
Options

COVID-19 Pandemic Discussion thread

This thread is intended for any and all discussion related to the COVID 19 pandemic and how it may be affecting your life, your pregnancy, or your emotions. This is a place where you can safely talk about your fears. It is expected that if you are seeking support you are also able offer support to others! 

Re: COVID-19 Pandemic Discussion thread

• Options
    I’m more concerned about finances at this point than the virus. Not to the point of refusing to stay home, though. From what I’ve read, there isn’t much risk of passing it to the baby. We’re still being cautious by staying home and I wear a mask if we have to go out, but I’m not letting the fear of it take over. 

DH and I both work for Disney and have been home since mid March. They were paying us until this week. Today is the last check until we go back. We were officially furloughed as of this Sunday, and the Florida unemployment system is complete crap. People who applied a month ago still haven’t gotten paid. So... I have no idea what we’re going to do. 
    Me: 36 | DH: 35 | Married: 9.17.16
    Diminished ovarian reserve
    BFP: 4/14/2020 EDD: 12/20/2020
  • Options
    Apparently our state is opening back up on Friday.  I feel like it is premature, so I think we will be sheltering in place as long as we can.  I currently have been temporarily laid off from my job, so that allows me to stay home.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    jchpgjchpg member
    @dobiemom11 I feel the same way. No one here has really been following the rules and we will officially open soon. We intend on sheltering in place as long as we can. It’s not easy, but I won’t take the risk. We’re both “work from home” hoping we can maintain this for a while. 
  • Options
    I'm a dental hygienist and most dental offices are closed to any elective procedure (so, my job) and are only seeing toothaches. My office manager is dying to open on May 4th which is my state's tentative "re-open" day - my office had a zoom call about it yesterday. They talked about a slow re-opening with a staggered schedule. There are 4 hygienists including myself and I think I'm going to call my manager and tell her that I'm pregnant and would like to volunteer to be the last person to be integrated back into the schedule if it's going to be slow going for a little while. I'm a little nervous about the call, but I have a lot of anxiety about going back right now without an antibody test. I know it's not everyone's situation, but my husband is still working (from home for now) and we will be fine with me on unemployment for awhile. I didn't really want to announce to her or anyone at work right now but I feel like it's my best option.
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: May 2008
    DD Born: March 2018
    DS Born: April 2019
    Due with #3 December 2020!
  • Options
    @JBcakes08 sounds like it would work for both you and your job to have staggering, which is great!  MH and I are also in medicine and while we are talking about restarting scheduled cases, I really think there's going to be a slow ramp up.  People are still going to avoid medical care out of fear of exposure (appropriate).  I would bet dental practices will also start slowly and hopefully your colleagues will want more hours up front!
  • Options
     I'm nervous. Not scared, but nervous. We're being super careful, and I know that the odds are in my favor, but this virus is a sneaky b*stard. Thankfully I can work from home and my agency has been very flexible (we shifted to maximum telework unofficially before everyone else did). Unfortunately, my husband was laid off in early March. It was unrelated to COVID, but with the economy slowing it's been harder to find a new position as companies are putting  hold on hiring. That said, we're lucky enough to be able to get by on my salary for a while. Financially, I'm actually more worried about my parents. They're not in the best financial position (got into lots of credit card debt), which they're trying to get out of. However, they completely rely on their pensions, and have little savings, so if the state goes bankrupt it may take my mother's income with it which would make their debt completely unsustainable.
  • Options
    I'm struggling tonight. I am supposed to get on a plane in less than 2 weeks and fly from Indiana to California for my sister's wedding. Meanwhile, I'm watching new cases spike where I'm traveling to and people not taking it seriously where I am.

I am pregnant, I have 2 small boys at home - 1 with a heart condition and 1 with a history of respiratory illness - and I am terrified. What if I get sick? What if I get them sick? Why is no one else in my family (my parents, my 78 year old grandma, my pregnant sister traveling with her 2 boys) freaking out?!

Tonight is the first night I actually started to think I should not go. It would break my sister's heart and we might never be the same again, everyone else would likely be furious and think me selfish, we'd be out some money and make other people's travel a bit more complicated, and part of me would always regret missing this day for my sister...

But, I would feel safer and I would be doing it to protect my boys and their yet to be born sibling. That alone is unquestioningly enough of a reason for me.

So, I know I need to just sleep on it and keep an eye on the situation until we get closer. I know there is a chance I'm overreacting. But I also know this is the first time I thought about not going and even the thought alone is such a relief that I am afraid whatever choice I make will be for the wrong reasons.
    image     image
  • Options
    @mom_of_the_vogels if this is how you truly feel,  don't go.  See if someone can live stream,  or video call you during the service.   It is an extremely hard decision to make,  but in the end which would you regret more,  not  being at the wedding? Or someone in your family getting sick?  Is it possible others are concerned about it as well,  but don't want to be the 1st to speak against it and hurt your sisters feelings? You said before she was very upset over how covid was ruining her wedding. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • Options
    @babymakes9 I think most of my other family is concerned on their own level, but only a couple of us are really diligently tracking the newest information. Most of them seem to be comfortably assuming things are slowly getting back to normal.

I think the bigger reason for everyone avoiding it is that we are, in general, a really close family. All of us desperately want her to have the wedding she is hoping for and are doing what we can to help. I've already been the first to throw a wrench in it because even before Covid I told her I would not be bringing my young sons on a cross country plane trip. From that I had a couple offers from other family to help pay for tickets and such until I finally made it clear it was a choice for sanity and safety.

It all just feels like I must be over-reacting if I'm the only one second guessing while everyone else is going with the program... but I don't feel like I am being unreasonable in feeling strongly that this is a bad idea. 
    image     image
  • Options
    willashbabywillashbaby member
    edited June 2020
    @mom_of_the_vogels I know I've said this before but you're NOT overreacting. This virus is vicious and spreads like wildfire. There was ONE infected person at this party: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2020/06/25/18-members-of-north-texas-family-test-positive-for-coronavirus-after-birthday-party/

NO WAY!
  • Options
    karmbakarmba member
    @mom_of_the_vogels For what it's worth, I don't think you are over-reacting at all.  Too many people under-reacting has made this situation consistently worse.  Yesterday the country had the second highest number of new cases yet.  My family (parents, 2 sisters and a brother) are coming for 4th of July and my parents made everyone come to their house for the two weeks before to self-isolate before driving out here.  I just had a friend completely cancel their wedding in October because the venue was restricting the number of guests.  My company has told us that they're not expecting more than 40-50% of workers to be in the office by the end of the year.  

My point is, it's a really difficult time to make decisions on travel and what the "right" thing to do for your family is.  If you decide not to go, don't let anyone make you feel bad about it.  It's a total bummer that your sister's wedding has been affected by this - but she's also made the decision to continue as planned.  She has to know that's going to change the overall event.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• Options
    @mom_of_the_vogels I'm so sorry you're going through this.  For what it's worth, I don't think you're overreacting - it's your job to look out for the health and well-being of your children, and making that your top priority is utterly reasonable.  I'm sure your sister must be very disappointed at not being able to have the wedding she hoped for, and she may need to grieve that loss by acting out a bit.  That being said, it was her decision to forge ahead with the wedding, and as an adult, she needs to be able to accept that there will be some consequences with that.  I think you can be empathetic to her loss while still maintaining boundaries - you didn't create the pandemic, and you're not avoiding her wedding in an attempt to hurt her.  

Personally, I think the earlier you break the news to her, the more time it will give her to mentally adjust.  I imagine she will be more and more stressed as it get closer to the wedding, which could lead to some OOT reactions.  Crossing my fingers for you!
  • Options
    @mom_of_the_vogels Echoing what everyone else has said - you are NOT overreacting. You have to do what makes the most sense for you and your kids. The amount of risk you can take on in your circumstance is just lower than others in your family and they should realize and accept that. The frustrating thing when making a safe decision is that - even when you’re right - it will seem like you overreacted, but that’s far better than the alternative.

California is seeing a surge like many states and very well may pull back soon anyway.

I agree that talking to her about it sooner is probably better. She’ll be upset but then she’ll have more time to deal with it and hopefully come around.

I hope people are more understanding. Sorry you’re in this position!
  • Options
    akorosakoros member
    You are not at all overreacting. I'm sorry you're getting so much pressure, it's hard when they don't understand. If this is the decision you want to make, all I can suggest is to be firm and clear. You love your sister (of course you do), but you need to make the responsible choice for you and your family. Hopefully she can understand that, and that your relationship is bigger than just one day (no matter how important that day is)
  • Options
    @mom_of_the_vogels I don't think you're overreacting either. I personally would not go. It sucks though, no matter what. ☹️
  • Options
    @mom_of_the_vogels Agree with what everyone else said — you have to do what you feel is right for your family and your children. The CDC just changed their tune on the risks COVID presents for pregnant women. We are 5x more likely to be hospitalized. That is not insignificant. 
  • Options
    @mom_of_the_vogels No way are you overreacting! If they think it’s selfish that you want to stay healthy and keep your family healthy, that’s on them. This isn’t going anyway anytime soon and keeping everyone safe is exactly what you are trying to do!

@cassafrass15 Oh man! I didn’t see that! That makes me even more nervous!
    DS born 2016
  • Options
    I agree with all the other responses.  Don’t go.  If the wedding is outside in a big open space and you didn’t have to fly there maybe it would be ok to pop in.  It sucks to not go. But  with the plane ride, and the cases in California? it’s not worth the risk.  
    Pregnancy is a condition that puts us in a high risk group for sever Illness from Covid. 

I had to cancel my outdoor wedding this summer. And have a little court wedding in March before the lockdown instead.    It  sucks but if just one of the  100 guests got severely ill I would never forgive myself.  

• Options
    akorosakoros member
    @jbal918 Yeah, I just found that out myself. The "good" news is that the death rate doesn't appear to be any higher, but more likely to be in the hospital and severely ill.

I know I'm jumping the gun, but this being my mom's first grandchild I know it'll come up soon: I think I want to skip a shower. I realize it wouldn't be until the fall, but looking at how things are going it doesn't look promising. Also, since my family is scattered most of the guests would need to travel no matter where it is (many by plane). It just doesn't feel safe for myself, plus I feel badly encouraging people to put themselves in danger by traveling. While she'll understand, I know this will really upset my mom. This is her only chance to throw a baby shower (I'm an only child), so I'd be taking away a life event she's been eagerly waiting for since I was a child.
  • Options
    @akoros We’ve has to make that decision as well. We live in Oregon and my family (and most of my friends) are back home in Massachusetts and New York. It just isn’t safe right now for my partner and I to travel and I don’t want to ask friends to come to my parents’ house from NY and risk them. It’s sucks.

I won’t even get to see my parents while I’m pregnant and this is probably going to be the only time for me. It’s been really hard to let go of the idea of not going out for a shower (especially since the shower they threw for my SIL was awesome with baby themed karaoke and I would just love love love to celebrate like that with my friends and family).

Now we’re just trying to figure out if there’s any way to ask people for gifts without having a shower and not be totally tacky. Any ideas??

• Options
    edited June 2020
    @akoros & @laurenspdx would you consider doing something like a virtual/zoom/Facebook live baby shower? Basically have your Mom (or someone you are comfortable with) host it in person with you then conference everyone else in? We did something kind of like that for my son's birthday in March. Once we decided to officially cancel his party I updated everyone and let them know if they still wanted to send cards or gifts we would have cake and open presents on his birthday through videos. 

It actually went really well. A few people left presents on the porch the couple of days before or sent them through Amazon. We just recorded the video and sent it as opposed to a live feed, but his cousins were excited to watch him open presents.

If you did opt for a zoom type thing it would still give you a chance to see people and thank them for gifts in the moment and maybe even do some get to know you or trivia style games.
    image     image
  • Options
    @akoros and @laurenspdx.  I think that is what my family is planning.  My sister has been researching zoom showers ever since we announced it. 

We were also considering having someone near all the family throw a party that we would attend by zoom.  Then maybe my parents would open the gifts and still have party games and fun.  My dad doesn't get to see his family a lot, so the family would welcome a trip from him while still keeping us at a safer distance.  I don't love being the center of attention, so this might be a great compromise.  

@laurenspdx. I am sure people would be overjoyed with sending gifts to celebrate, but just not sure how you spread information about your registry.  Otherwise you will get a lot of things, just maybe not what you were hoping for (and probably researched!). Hmmm...have to think on that?  Maybe tell your family members about it and then they can pass the info on if anyone asks.  
  • Options
    @dobiemom11 @mom_of_the_vogels Thanks!

I actually just talked to my mom about it a bit on the phone and she suggested just those two things - a virtual shower and that she can be the person to share information about our registry. She also suggested that we could maybe send people a little card or item so they still feel included and appreciated if they can’t attend a virtual shower.
  • Options
    @akoros Makes sense to me, as much as it stinks... I agree that it doesn't look like things will be much different in fall. Maybe you could talk to your mom and see if she has ideas to still make it special?
  • Options
    jchpgjchpg member
    @mom_of_the_vogels I agree with everyone. I would not go. Everyone’s health is #1. But I am sorry you are in this situation, it’s not easy. 

@laurenspdx we did a shower from afar with DD. She was born in Europe and my mom insisted we have one. I felt strange at first, because it felt greedy, but she really wanted to do it. We also had friends a year before do a shower like this bc they lived far away from family, I was more then happy to shower them with a gift by mail- so I realized it wasn’t too odd for me to do it also. My family really wanted to do a video shower where I was on the TV and they got together- but for me that was just too uncomfortable. We kept it small because the gifts came in a suitcase with my parents when DD was born, but it was so nice to have personalized gifts from family and close friends. I hadn’t really thought about what we will do this time... we might just skip it- though if my family wants to do this again, I think I will be on board  :)
  • Options
    @laurenspdx @akoros we also decided the same - no in person shower but a bunch of people are a little upset about it. I’m a little hesitant to do a Zoom shower because I just worry it’s a little tacky To just ask people to ship you gifts and watch you open them, but my husband really wants me to do it. I chose not to have a wedding shower and he was really upset that I missed out on extra wedding gifts by skipping, so doesn’t want me to skip a baby shower too. I’m not really the biggest fan of the whole shower concept and feel most guests complain when they have to go to others’ showers... so for me it’s just TBD. No one has really offered to coordinate a zoom shower for me at this point either, so just leaving it all open ended for now, and probably won’t be asking anyone to do it.
  • Options
    @shelmcclel. I am a weirdo in that I hate to attend showers, but love to throw them for other people. I think because then I don't have to participate in the games and watch all the gifts be opened.  I can be running around filling up drinks and the such.  I also think that is why I love being hostess for parties.  I can have my house filled with people but the introvert in me can enjoy one person's company in the kitchen doing dishes.  

Would it be totally weird to have a shower and not open gifts on camera?  People hate that part during the shower anyway because it goes on forever.  If it isn't in person, then you can't even really pass the items around.  I guess maybe on Zoom people could just leave after their gift was opened up if they wanted?  I am sure the great grandmas would love to see every gift opened though.  
  • Options
    shelmcclelshelmcclel member
    edited June 2020
    @dobiemom11 yea I’m definitely leaning in that direction. I was also thinking after I posted that for my close family who we’ve been seeing that maybe I can do a more intimate social distancing / mask wearing in-person brunch type shower with just them here at our house (the grandmas, aunts, etc) so they get the joy of participating and getting to have their gifts opened in front of others and then maybe doing a zoom shower with friends only. I feel like my friends will be more understanding if I choose not to open gifts on camera and most of them live in other states anyway 🤷🏼‍♀️ I dunno! It’s just such a strange time.  
  • Options
    akorosakoros member
    @mom_of_the_vogels @dobiemom11 That's probably what she'll suggest, which I may just go along with. I'm dreading that idea a little, though, because a virtual shower seems like all the worst parts of a shower for me. I love going to or planning showers for other people, but kind of hate it for myself. I absolutely hate being the center of attention and am super awkward when it comes to getting gifts. The part I actually like is talking to people one-on-one who I don't get to see very often (my cousins are mostly older and almost all married, so at this point we just see each other at funerals...), which can't easily be done in a virtual call. @shelmcclel, my husband's actually the opposite of yours, if it were just up to the two of us we probably wouldn't have registered for our wedding at all and skipped a shower, but my family insisted. 

All this said, there is absolutely no judgement for anyone who wants and is excited for a shower and gifts. I know I'm the weird one here, and I've always been thrilled to be on the guest/giving side. It's just a weird self-imposed double-standard. @laurenspdx I'm not sure how your family works, but I know for our wedding people just asked my mother. I think for many it's just expected that you'll register, so if you do the usual suspects (Amazon, Buy Buy Baby) and make it public they may also be able to find it on their own.
  • Options
    Hi Everyone-
    Saw this board and just wanted to post my feelings.  On Saturday night I had an anxiety attack, and am still very anxious yesterday and today.  The CDC came out and said if you are pregnant and get COVID-19 you are 5X more likely to be hospitalized. This scares me to my core. I have two other little ones at home.   I am still currently working full time ( I have to ) My husband and I stayed home for over 2 months, and didn't see anyone. It took a toll on us and especially his mental health.  So i am conflicted on should we go back to not seeing family? I want to remain safe, but my kids went crazy during that time, it  took a toll on my husbands mental health. I am seriously struggling on how to navigate this.  
  • Options
    akorosakoros member
    @lindsaym2106 Totally understandable. I was just starting to feel comfortable planning a small trip somewhere (driveable, remote, and bring a ton of cleaning supplies) and maybe, just *maybe* figuring out a way to see some friends. Now I feel like it's all for nothing, and I'm getting anxiety thinking about the fall. We're introverts and ok keeping to ourselves, but even for us it's starting to get a bit rough.

How is your family as far as taking precautions and social distancing? We're comfortable seeing our parents since they're even more careful than we are, and my sister-in-law is a microbiologist working in a lab so I know she and her family are also very careful. We haven't seen any friends, though, which is rough. I'd be open to the idea, again because I know they've all been working from home and as careful as we are (even still I'd prefer an outdoor BYO picnic with lots of distance). 
  • Options
    @jchpg Thanks for sharing! Hearing more about how other folks have done it really helps.

@shelmcclel @dobiemom11 @akoros I agree that the watching presents being opened isn’t the most exciting part so maybe we’ll think of another way to make everyone feel included in Zoom and make it about them and not me. My family is super small (it’s basically just my immediate family) so it would mostly be friends participating which makes it feel more fun and less obligatory maybe? Anyway, thanks for the input and advice! I feel like with our current world, people are more tolerant to be giving in these kind of situations. And maybe we’ll just plan on a future visit and party to thank everyone.

@lindsaym2106 Sorry you’re feeling so stressed and it’s so understandable. We were even bold enough to go to a restaurant the other week but I was so nervous the whole time I didn’t enjoy it. Now that things are rising even more, I’m certainly back to being a stay-at-home introvert. I think a lot depends on where you live. Are you in a high risk or dense area?

Also, when it comes to seeing friends or family, I think the key is making sure you’re all aligned on the risk you’re assuming outside of visits. If you’re all on the same page about limiting risk (mostly staying home, social distancing, wearing a mask), it’s ok to extend your social circle and see one another. But, if one person / household is being super safe and another is going to bars and parties and going mask free, it’s not a good idea to see each other. I keep thinking of it like extending your bubble, but only with people who have similar sized bubbles. Hope that’s helpful?
  • Options
    @akoros My parents live right next door and are pretty cautious so I feel pretty comfortable around them, my in-laws are ok, they don't really go anywhere and wash their hand regularly that whole thing.  I was thinking about asking anyone who came over to please wear a mask to just protect everyone. I am an introvert as well, but when it comes to family I need to see them! 
  • Options
    @lindsaym2106 We didn't see anyone for months and now we have a visit with my mom or sisters (so cousins can play) about every other week. Even those visits are stressful for me, but they are good for the kids and we are all very open about health and exposure risk prior to visiting. Our boys haven't been to a store or restaurant since the second week of March when our county had the first confirmed case.

I just went to a restaurant for the first time this week for lunch with 2 of my sisters. We picked a place where we could see the kitchen, all the staff were wearing masks, half the tables were blocked off, and we went during off peak hours. It was still a bit unnerving, but it was nice to just talk with adults in a somewhat controlled and mindful environment. 

Completely isolating is rough, but maybe you can find some routine that lets you visit with family at least occasionally in a setting that is less stressful. And if hubs has an option to get out occasionally in a safe way to visit with a friend it helps a ton. I'm a SAHM and I go through days where other people are not available to talk or text because of work or life and I feel completely cut off from the world. 

In any case, my family collectively has taken the opinion that we may never know if we over-reacted, but we'll know if we didn't do enough. Do what you need to to feel safe and take care of your kiddos and find a balance with your husband.
    image     image
  • Options
    @laurenspdx That does make a lot of sense!  I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin so we are starting to get worse here... we have a very small group of friend (us and 2 other couples ) all are essential workers so are at work everyday just like me.  My one friend had COVID  in March so I am not so nervous about her. I think I am going to talk to my friends and let them know how I am feeling and my concerns and we can discuss it.  I think it's good for them to know how I am feeling. 

@mom_of_the_vogels I haven't been to a restaurant since Valentines day! My boys haven't been to a store since March either. Yea, I feel it's better to be safer than sorry. 

@gh1219 That is exactly what my husband said to me yesterday.  He said they might admit pregnant women just to be cautious and not because they are in bad shape... so I am trying to remain positive. But I am an extremely sensitive and anxious person so it can be hard on me.
  • Options
    akorosakoros member
    @gh1219 Thanks for that reminder. I did notice that in addition to 5x more likely to go to hospital and more likely to be severe (don't recall if there were specific numbers there), there wasn't a difference in mortality rate, which jibes with the notion that pregnant women who get sick are more likely to be admitted "just in case". That said, I'm still going to use this as an excuse to telework as long as humanely possible.

@lindsaym2106 My in-laws are still baking their daily newspaper and mail. While they're in a rural area it's where the suburbs encroach so it seems like people are taking it more seriously there than in other places in Virginia. We don't go quite that far, just wash our hands like crazy after bringing something in from the outside (plus masks, limiting trips to stores, etc).

@laurenspdx That's more or less how I've been thinking about it: your risk level is aligned with the highest-risk individual you're in contact with. 
  • Options
    @Lyndasalim I feel your pain. I’m generally a healthy person. Even as a k-8 art teacher I only get sick maybe once a year.  I don’t really go anywhere except grocery shipping one time or less each week
    But I’ve been feeling extra worried the over the  last week or so.  My dad has been spending winters in Thailand. His plan was to come back in June but that’s not happening. He’s just been  watching the us go to shit from afar and sometime sending me emails about scary things 

including the news about pregnancy being high risk. Then told me my husband should get his job back driving for fed ex until this had blown over. But as an artist myself, knowing he had been wanting to be a tattooist for Years, quit his his job at fed ex to do something he cares about I just can’t ask him to do that.   Yet. 

my husband is a Tattoo artist and their shop just opened up a few weeks ago. Everyone wears masks. All the clients must wear them too but it’s a long time  to be that close to someone indoors in the circulating AC.  Clients come in and talk to their artists about how masks don’t do anything snf covid is a hoax.    Yesterday my husbands client came in without a mask, he asked her if she had one ,”no. Um. I have asthma ..”.   Well, my husband does too, and has minor lung damage from childhood bronchitis  and he wears the mask all day.   He gave her one and she wore it at least, But geez. She knew their policy. Where else has she been, had she been partying with all her college friends this whole time, does she go to the newly opened bars every night? 

And school is going to start again in September and so far it’s seemed the catholic school I work at is determined to have in person class.   From the way the rest of the faculty had been acting during our clean up week they don’t seem to think it’s a thing or that masks are necessary.    

Ughhhhhhhhh
  • Options
    Our small town is the only place in the county that is hosting fireworks this year, all other shows have been canceled.  I'm so afraid that our town will be swamped tonight with people not following social distancing or wearing masks properly after reading all the discussions online and everyone telling people to come here from the whole country ( and surrounding countries).  I don't think that is what they envisioned when the mayor,  fire department,  rotary,  and school envisioned when they decided to go ahead with the event. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • Options
    @babymakes9 😳 that sounds like it will be intense. I hope it’s at least all outdoors and people wear masks!   I don’t know if the masking is likely for the majority people but i hope they at least try and don’t crowd into all the bars and restaurants to get all the local restaurant staff sick !