December 2020 Moms
Options

COVID-19 Pandemic Discussion thread

124»

Re: COVID-19 Pandemic Discussion thread

• Options
    @jacmkelley I’ve felt that way the entire pregnancy - but more nausea like @mom_of_the_vogels. I’ve tried out a few diff masks. The simple disposable surgical masks are the ones that bother me the least. 
  • Options
    @gingkomama have you started your virtual? How is it going so far? Ours starts Monday and I’m completely unprepared. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have to start in service week Monday. Then it’s all in person.  It’s a catholic school so I have to go to mass with everyone during in service week and a full day all staff religion workshop(I’m not catholic) .    Maybe I can skip all the stuff that’s not actual meetings about school 

also my husband had decided he HAS to fly to sandiego to see his best friend f in the next month or so 🤦‍♀️ Ughhhh.  he also wants the kids middle name to be his best friend’s  (in San Diego) name. Maybe i can Let him have the name if he doesn’t fly during the pandemic. 
  • Options
    @hham10 This whole week was professional development and planning. Kids start on Monday. I've talked to several parents and it sounds like there is a.mixture.of disappointment, frustration, and excitement from kids. Hoping we have a smooth start Monday! 
  • Options
    We starred teacher workshop week on Monday and less the staff keep their masks on. They wear them in the hall then in the gym where we’re meeting they all come off.   Ughhhhhhhh
  • Options
    @autumn87654321 what a nightmare!
  • Options
    @autumn87654321 What a pain! I feel like so many districts have seen such huge numbers needing to quarantine so early on! I'm surprised they aren't enforcing things more strictly in your school!
  • Options
    @willashbaby @ginkomama
    It’s a catholic school so I think people think they can make their own rules 🤷‍♀️
    but looking around and noticing that SOMe problem HAVE their masks on means some people prefer it and compassion should urge them to put the masks on despite the minor discomfort.   And they all know I’m pregnant bht might not realize that that makes my immune system weaker And my unborn baby needs me to be healthy. 

I Just emailed my principal to ask if she could tell the staff to keep their masks on since there won’t be food served. 
    I don’t know why I didn’t do it sooner. I thought today would be better because it was an all parish staff day. But no. Not better. 

I was afraid to send the email. No idea why I have anxiety about something like that.    Hopefully it will help though 

• Options
    @autumn87654321 ugh this is super frustrating. I would have felt nervous to speak up too- but it’s so important. I think at this point after so much trouble getting to where I am in this pregnancy I would just walk out. 

I’m at a catholic school too- and fortunately I have not seen this. We are staying primarily virtual and there are rules and reminders for masks and social distancing everywhere. I hope you can feel more conferrable soon! 
  • Options
    I got an email from my employer yesterday saying that my furlough has been extended with no defined end date yet. DH and I had been joking that by the time I got called back, I’d be about to pop. That’s what it’s starting to actually look like now. Unfortunately, the tourism industry here in Florida is majorly faltering. And with me being both pregnant and disabled, I can’t find anywhere to work in the meantime 😩
    Me: 36 | DH: 35 | Married: 9.17.16
    Diminished ovarian reserve
    BFP: 4/14/2020 EDD: 12/20/2020
  • Options
    @dreamscapes_ Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. 
  • Options
    @dreamscapes_
    im sorry to hear that:(. That sounds extremely stressful. I hope you can find something to do for work in the meantime ! 
  • Options
    @dreamscapes_ Hang in there. Are you able to collect unemployment in the meantime?
  • Options
    hham10hham10 member
    edited September 2020
    Sorry if this has been mentioned but has anyone...specifically teachers...decided to take unpaid leave or something similar this year?? I was forced into a virtual teaching position which sounds like it’d be nice but my work has more than quadrupled, I have doubled my class size And the whole program is so disorganized and stressful. I’m working until 11 every night and between my 3 young kids and this I can barely keep my head above water. The stress is becoming more than I can bear and I worry what it will do to my baby. Anyone in a similar situation? 
  • Options
    @hham10. I was working a part time job before the virus hit.  Since it is a very public facing job, we decided that I would take medical leave under FMLA for twelve weeks.  I normally wouldn't qualify for it with a part time position, but because it is related to COVID, I qualify.  Obviously this is using my maternity leave up before the baby even comes, but it is nice to get paid partially for this time.  (Plus as a part time person, I wouldn't have qualified for maternity leave anyway).  It really has been the best thing for us in this situation, but not sure if that would apply for you.  Rather than taking a year unpaid, can you maybe swing something like that?  I also don't know how that would affect your maternity leave (or how taking a year of unpaid would?  Can you take twelve weeks now and then use unpaid time but not lose your position for your actual maternity leave?).  I was planning to leave my job after the baby comes, so this way keeps me safer now and still allows me to get paid.  I did have to get a drs note expressing her concern with a public facing role.  
  • Options
    @dobiemom11 so I tried to get a drs note and they basically refused. Well they said they’d do it but my district probably wouldn’t approve it. They said they’d need to show they tried diff medications and multiple interventions prior to writing me off which I refuse to start a new medication while pregnant. 

As far as I know I’d be eligible for unpaid leave for the rest of the year or just until I’m ready to come back that’s what I’m trying to figure out. And they have to hold the same or similar job same salary. The money isn’t my issue but how the stress is affecting me but I also don’t want the chance of losing my position. I’m conflicted for sure. 
  • Options
    @ham10 I am in a similar situation, forced online and it’s taking WAY more time and prep then before. DH also works full time virtually and DD is no longer in daycare. I don’t have an option to stop- so I’m just figuring it out. I need to save my FMLA until baby arrives. 

I’m sorry you’re in such an impossible situation. I’d say ask for the letter anyway- and just try. 
  • Options
    @hham10 I didn’t because I can’t afford to loose the maternity leave but my friend did (she’s not pregnant) and the state covers it. What state are you in again?
    I start today with meetings the rest of this week but officially start virtually teaching on Tuesday and I have a feeling it’s going to be the same way. 
    DS born 2016
  • Options
    @hham10 I still have no idea what they'll have me do as "online teaching" but since I only teach students with special needs we are locked into specific ratios, they can't make us work with too many kids or beyond a certain live time each day. I would not be able to afford a leave. If you can, you should. 
  • Options
    @hham10 I have to teach In person which is also stressful. One staff member already tested positive and school hasn’t started yet. 
    Online teaching sucks too but my school is small so I’d prefer that. 

I really hated teaching online in the spring. It’s so strange to change everything About the way I do things.   It did seem to get easier after a few weeks but still so hard.   

If you can afford to take extended leave it might be worth it.  

what do you teach?  Do you have good online learning resources?  We’ve been looking at a lot in staff meetings this week and she’s show us some good ones for math and reading/writing that give the students exercises to do and does the assessments too.  I can get the info on those sites for you if that might help. 

I had a small Facebook argument some dumbass who tried to say teachers teaching from home was far less work than in person. I tried to explain that it’s more work actually but he also had some more idiotic opinions so I gave up. 
  • Options
    Teaching remotely is so hard. We're in week two and my coworkers are all so stressed and the technology issues are plentiful. I'm sure we'll hit our stride, but it's hard. 

I'm planning on working until at least Thanksgiving, possibly longer if we're still remote and baby stays puts. I will be taking leave for the rest of the year after baby is born though. 
  • Options
    Yes it’s awful!! Endless hours working remotely technical issues that I’m responsible for figuring out huge class sizes and a difficult partner who is not helpful. I teach 40 second graders. I finally raised hell with my district and they said they’ll “look into” some things but you know how that goes. I’ve been discussing leave and now I feel like they’re acting like it isn’t an option because the year started!!! Either way they said once our little guy is born I can take the rest of the year so I will 100% doing that!

praying this isn’t a new reality of virtual learning. 
  • Options
    @autumn87654321 I start in person on Tuesday and we had open houses for our students last night and tonight. Anxiety is raising again but I'm hoping once we are back and into this new routine it will become ok. I have to do some online as well (very willingly) for a student in hospital right now.