July 2020 Moms

Braxton Hicks - anyone else?

I’m 25 weeks + 1 day and went to labor and delivery yesterday after having BH contractions every 10-15 minutes (plus when I stand up or pee). The doctor checked my cervix (OUCH) and said it was closed and to come back if the contractions got closer to 5 minutes apart.

I was temporarily relieved but now I’m home, drinking lots of water and still having these bouts of these contractions that will come every 10 minutes. They aren’t super painful, just crampy and scary. 

Anyone else experience this? Or successfully stop the symptoms through rest etc? 

Re: Braxton Hicks - anyone else?

• I've had fairly frequent braxton hicks, but not as regular as what you're describing. I've delivered prematurely though, and I know how scary that can be. I was always told to drink a lot of water, use the restroom frequently- don't wait a long time- and take a nice warm bath. 
  • @polkeliz How are you doing now? Have the BH calmed down?
  • Loading the player...
  • I don’t know what baby this is for you, but BH are typically more common with each baby.   This is my 3rd and at night I feel them when resting in bed.   I feel them but they aren’t painful.  I drink some water and pee and they get better. 

• Yes, I feel them all day. This is baby #3. If they are really bad, I rest and drink water.
    MMC 02/16/12
    DS1 05/03/13
    Natural MC 10/01/14
    DD1 01/08/16
  • Still experiencing them off and on during the day... especially when I have to pee or when I get up from sitting down. Other moms I've talked to have told me that real contractions are so painful that you would know the difference... so that was somewhat comforting!
  • Lurking from August and this helped me feel better. I told DH tonight that I've felt Braxton Hicks contractions more than I've felt the baby move this pregnancy! This is my third and they're every evening, anytime I go for a walk, pee, stand up, etc. 
  • This will probably sound like a really dumb question, but what do they feel like? I'm 28 weeks and can't even think of being able to identify having had one, although I must have since they happen to everyone, but can't pinpoint when I might have.
  • @lizzybean84 you may not be getting them. I didn't get them until much farther along with my first... and, even then, it didn't happen nearly as frequently then as it has this pregnancy. That said, it feels like your stomach muscles are tight. If you ever think you might be having one, press on your belly. If it's really hard/firm, you're having a BH. Think of it like a crunch. It doesn't hurt, but everything in your torso tightens. Hope that helps!
  • I’m on baby #2, and I can say BH contractions and REAL DEAL contractions are very different! With my first BH contractions were painful and very uncomfortable and I could time them. But it seemed like when I would do something (pee, drink water, eat something, stretch, warm bath always helped) they’d go away. REAL DEAL contractions DONT GO AWAY. And much much more time able. Remember 5-1-1! 5 minutes apart, lasting a minute long (I don’t remember the other one, but last a minute long and 5mins apart are pretty darn important! ) 
  • I was experiencing the most horrible BH for a while. I would read about drinking water, peeing and movement and think “I’m doing those things and it’s not working!” In reality, I was not in fact drinking enough water and I was not peeing often enough. I didn’t think it was possible to drink more water and pee more...but I was tired of the BH pain so I tried increasing everything and it worked. 

Every morning, I drink 3 glasses of water before I do anything else. I drink water ALL day like it’s going out of style. I even chug some glasses of water and then refill just to get more in me. I do not wait for the urge to pee, ever. If I’m walking through the house, I stop and pee. If I am taking something from one room to another, I stop and pee. I pee during commercials. Don’t wait for the urge, just do it! I have a Gatorade at dinner every night and then down more water. At night while sleeping, every time I wake to change positions, I take a sip of water, go to the bathroom, and take another sip of water before lying back down. 

I know that sounds excessive, but it’s the only way I’ve found relief. The night time part sounds brutal, but honestly my body adjusted quickly and I was sleeping better because of the peeing and water. 💕