July 2020 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms w/o 3/9/20

Re: Weekly Randoms w/o 3/9/20

• Options
    Ughhhhh @kc0711 that is so frustrating! 
  • Options
    @nursejenn5 that’s insane! I saw today that several airlines are offering free cancellation or rescheduling of flights booked anytime, not just since the outbreak, so maybe you can get your money back or get credit at least?

@blaf322 your Easter meal sounds great - I’m gluten free and vegetarian but sounds like you’ll still have some options for me, so I’m down!

My random for today is that yesterday I complained to my rheumatologist about how Kaiser won’t do inductions earlier than 41 weeks without medical reasons. Her response: “well, maybe you just watch things closely. Maybe one week your blood pressure is a little high. Oops, guess you need an early induction! Maybe you have a little protein in your urine. Oops, need an early induction!” 😂 Note - when she says early, she means at 40 weeks, so just earlier than Kaiser has let me in the past. Not like early as in before the due date.

Then again, I’m already getting hopeful that I’ll have spontaneous labor like, right before my due date. That’s always felt impossible, but I thought having a boy was impossible too, so maybe this is my time for impossible things!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Pascal86 That's funny, I pitched a bit of a fit when they talked about moving up my due date which would potentially lead to induction! Having said that, this is my first so maybe when July rolls around and am a pool of sweat I'll regret this lol.

My random is that I'm headed to my 2nd least fav doctor, the dermatologist this AM. I've only been once before and it was a harrowing experience but I have these weird dry patches on my cuticle that have been around for like...a year so now feels like a good time to take care of it. Also trying to schedule my #1 least favorite doctor's appointment before birth aka the dentist.
  • Options
    @JessDG that's so nice of your parents! I hope you're able to relax and enjoy your time away. 
  • Options
    @JessDG it sounds like you and your husband are getting a much needed little getaway! I'm sorry your plans to visit your grandma fell through, FX you dont end up teaching statistics from home! That sounds like a nightmare. 
  • Options
    mehuggmehugg member
    edited March 2020
    It feels like the coronavirus stuff is suddenly escalating really quickly! My company had cancelled all work travel and encouraged work from home, and H's company mandated WFH for the next week min in an email last night. There are 70 cases across MA, most of which are in/near Boston (where I am) and the gov declared a state of emergency yesterday. Things are being cancelled left and right including the massive St Patrick's Day parade. It's starting to feel pretty wild! I'm going back and forth between feeling like I/we are overreacting and underreacting. What are y'all thinking? 

ETA @JessDG my mom is a guidance counselor in NJ and her district also is putting plans in place to go virtual but haven't decided if/when do go that direction yet. Feeling for teachers in this moment! 
  • Options
    @mehugg I'm feeling the same. I keep going back and forth between thinking we will look back this all being overblown and then thinking that we're creeping towards some sort of 28 Days Later scenario. People are cancelling meetings like crazy and I'm feeling weird about it...
  • Options
    @mehugg I'm with you! Not sure how to feel about it. The first case has been confirmed in my town and I'm kind of in shock that it's here already just because I feel like we're so remote. There's 0 possibility of me working from home so if they shut down schools for an extended period of time I won't have enough hours to get my maternity leave which has me now freaking out. I'm literally just brainstorming second jobs I could get just to make sure I get enough hours, which seems like an overreaction lol 
  • Options
    @mehugg I think I'm somewhere in the middle of things. I recognize the concern and I think it'll probably become a bigger worry for us down the road, but I still believe that things will be fine for most, long term. I think companies mandating WFH in areas where the spread is becoming more of a concern, like where you are, is warranted. People I know that are talking about unenrolling their kid in daycare when there is a case or two in their area seems extreme to me. 
  • Options
    @blaf322 that's so cute that she has seized on "exasperated." Very cool that she's noticing signs of stress and empathizing (or at least on the way to empathizing!). My DD has started asking "what dat??" when she sees or hears something she doesn't recognize and it cracks me up. I love that she's starting to really be able to ask questions herself and understand the answer, for the most part. It's also putting me on the spot a lot lol like last night she was pointing to different parts of a train and I kept being like "I don't know what that is" lol.
  • Options
    @blaf322 hahaha what a little stinker! That's so funny. Doesn't that make you worried for the time when she's old enough to NOT have you uncover her goal??
  • Options
    @mehugg I think I agree with @blaf322 take on the coronavirus stuff. If it really ends up affecting the estimated 40-70% of the population like they assume it might, then we're gonna have serious problems in many areas (healthcare, economy, etc).
    But for now I'm not worried about it. I live directly in the middle of two hospitals that have either had official cases, or have a handful of people that meet the (crazy long) criteria to actually even be tested for it. I know staff at my hospital are being more cautious and not coming to work at all if they're sick, which is appreciated because typically we mostly "work through our illnesses" and the hospitals are majorly preparing for a significant outbreak. 
    I will continue to wash my hands and attempt to not touch my face (which apparently is a bid issue I have  :D )
  • Options
    stlbuckeye132stlbuckeye132 member
    edited March 2020
    @mehugg I was mostly "eh, it's fine" for a long while, but I'm starting to take it a bit more seriously now. I'm not super worried about actually getting it, but it clearly spreads very rapidly and the crazy strict lockdowns seem the best way to contain it. Seems drastic, but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess? We have one confirmed case in my area and her family was told to self-quarantine.... her dad and sister went to a father-daughter dance at a school that same night. Come on, people. :facepalm:

ETA: @nursejenn5 I've also been really trying to be better about not touching my face, but OMG IT'S SO HARD.
  • Options
    @mehugg
    Yeah, I understand trying to stop this thing in it's tracks and all, but I think in general people are freaking out.  My doctor explained to me this week that pregnant people already have taxed lungs (I know I can't breathe half the time) which could be bad.  I know there isn't a ton of data as to what happens to babies whose moms are exposed while they are in utero, so I am being cautious of course.  BUT, I feel like life needs to go on.  I'm curious to see how this keeps developing, especially with warmer temperatures on the way. 
  • Options
    @nursejenn5 @stlbuckeye132 omg same! Took a "pandemic" for me to realize how often I touch my face! All.the.time.
  • Options
    @JessDG my mom just told me yesterday that there were 8 women in China who got it while pregnant and have since had their babies, and all was fine with all of them. Where she heard that, idk, so feel free to check on your own obviously. haha

@footdrbritt right? Have you people not been washing your hands this whole time?
  • Options
    kristinl492kristinl492 member
    edited March 2020
    @footdrbritt THIS. Maybe if people were this great at hand hygiene year round, we wouldn’t have to listen to the flu shot debate every damn year 🤷🏼‍♀️ Also, was no one buying hand soap before this? 
  • Options
    @nursejenn5 my hands look awful (2 OR days a week for 10 years 😑) team dry old healthcare hands 

And apparently there does seem to be 2 strains—I’ll see if I can find the link, from a epidemiology and public health standpoint I find it fascinating. 
  • Options
    @mehugg I just saw this article (in spoiler) which explains the logic behind these seemingly drastic measures to try to contain the spread of the virus by canceling events, closing schools, etc. I think the potential strain on hospitals is the biggest thing to be concerned about. (But I'm no expert haha)
  • Options
    busymom247busymom247 member
    edited March 2020
    Cases in my state and not far. Every convention or conference is getting cancelled nationwide it seems. Our big 10 university of 40,000 students is going to online classes until further notice (many universities are doing this), possiblybthrough end of semester in May. Hospital support groups shut down and restrictions started (no visitors under 18)

Here is my question: Why not as much panic of H1N1, swine, Ebola? Regular flu. Since more people die from it 

Two years ago flu was baaaaddd everywhere but stuff didnt shut down nor for other things mentioned above.

In China its finally calming down so is U.S. late to game or overreacting???

I feel bad for schools shutting down bc what are working parents supposed to do??. Not to mention for some areas e-learning isnt possible for everyone. Additionally, some kids get breakfast and lunch at school. Sometimes they get meals to take home so how will they eat.
  • Options
    @busymom247 I am a nutrition director for a school district and the directors in our area are talking about what we can do for student lunches in case we shut down. Many schools are talking about finding a way to send home bagged breakfasts/lunches for days they would miss. It's all just discussion in my area right now but that is a concern, especially for free/reduced kids, for sure! (If anyone has any ideas feel free to send them my way!) 
  • Options
    @pocketrose this will be my third birth. Both my first two were induced at 41 weeks, and both my babies were about 10 pounds. So I feel highly motivated to get this one out earlier if possible (especially since this will be end of July... yuck). Also, the second induction went soooo much faster than the first. If this was my first birth, and I didn’t have the history I do, I definitely would be thinking harder about the downsides of being induced earlier! But since this is your first, remember that most babies just come on their own and don’t need to be induced! I’m also crossing my fingers that will be my story. 

Re: freaking out about the Coronavirus - I’m kind of there. We pulled our kids out of daycare for now - but largely because my parents said they were worried about me, and are available to watch the kids full time while this is going on. If I didn’t have that help, I wouldn’t be even considering it. But also, Oregon has 15 cases, most of them fairly close, and I swear - is testing NOBODY. So I’m convinced it had to be circulating quite a bit, and I’m going to be insanely careful until there’s more information on how prevalent it is here, and understand what measures are being taken to control it. 

Also, the 9 person China pregnancy study doesn’t give me a lot of comfort. There’s still no information on the effects of Coronavirus on second trimester pregnancy. And I’ve heard that it seems to be different than the flu in that it’s not worse for pregnant women, but I got the flu in my second trimester with DD2 and it was so terrible that I will go to great lengths to avoid anything like that happening again. It was very possibly the two worst weeks of my life. I also just keep thinking that if everyone in a community with a case just locked down for two weeks as soon as it showed up... we could be done by now. But state and fed governments seem too afraid to take any impactful action so instead we’re all just buying a bunch of toilet paper. 
  • Options
    My dermatologist told me to avoid washing my hands and use sanitizer as much as possible because apparently hand washing may have aggravated/led to these warts on my hands and I was like...have your read the news?! Also, I hope no one here has to go to a dermatologist before giving birth for anything that needs to be removed, apparently everything topical they can give to assist is not good for pregnant folks so it was a "grit your teeth while she pours liquid nitrogen on these spots over and over again" kind of scenario.
  • Options
    @pocketrose ugh... that sounds terrible! Sorry you didn't have a good experience!
  • Options
    @pocketrose maybe just don’t touch anything or anyone, ever. Then you don’t need to put anything on your hands! Glad your dermatologist was so helpful.  🙄 
  • Options
    @blaf322 Thanks, here's hoping they go away or else I have to do it again and/or wait until after childbirth for the good shit lol.
  • Options
    @pocketrose omg. Your dermatologist is literally the only person in the whole world right now advising people not to wash their hands. Wow. Sorry he/she wasn't more helpful!
  • Options
    First case confirmed in my state. We are surrounded by states with multiple cases so only a matter of time. I sat in a meeting today all about what our plan is in case of a public health emergency (I work for a state agency that provides services to children), and it started freaking me out. On top of that, my boss came in to tell me about the first confirmed case and that I should work from home. I kind of laughed at her and was like yeah ok. Am I being dumb? It feels silly to work from home because I'm pregnant. Shouldn't all the older people work from home not me?
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 I mean, in her defense she said to use sanitizer but I was like...is there an option 2? For both the hand washing and the only option is a toasting of liquid nitrogen to the skin? (Spoiler, apparently the answer is no).
  • Options
    I'm somewhere in the middle on the coronavirus stuff, too. I think many people are overreacting, that panic is not warranted. But I think the people blowing it off like it's nothing are missing the big picture.

The biggest things that worry me about it are first of all the impact on our healthcare system if it spreads too fast. It's not like we can't generally help people with pneumonia, but it seems to spread fast and we can't necessarily help everyone like we would in a normal day/month/year. Plus, all the other things that need to be dealt with (heart attacks and broken bones and every other medical issue that doesn't just go away) receive fewer resources when they're being used for Covid-19. I just saw a graph yesterday like the one in the article @stlbuckeye132 shared - and what's happening in Italy seems to correspond to all that. The economic impact is worrisome, too. And as a 2nd trimester pregnant person, I'm concerned because we don't really have much info on how it might affect us, and I hear conflicting info about whether it's more or less bad for us than the flu.

@busymom247 It hasn't killed as many people as the flu, but it's way newer. It hasn't hit everyone yet. The mortality percentages - which are a little up in the air for a lot of reasons, but they still have a general idea of them - are much higher for Covid-19 than the regular flu. Depending on what numbers they're running and how they determine it, they think it's at least 5 times worse and up to 50 times worse.

For MOST people, it won't be a big deal to catch it. But for a lot of people, it will be. And for a lot of people, all the stuff we need to do to slow it down and spread out the impact to a manageable level will cause a lot of other issues.
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • Options
    @busymom247 ya, its interesting how much more intense the public panic is surrounding this compared to swine, ebola, etc. when the swine flu had its big outbreak in 2009, i got it while i was at college. my doctor told me to quarantine myself, so i went home and lived with my parents for two weeks, wearing a mask the whole time. university didnt close, i didnt get a "pass" on all my missed assignments, nothing. but the same uni that i went to just announced theyre going to have all classes online going forward and that is with no one at the college reported as having COVID-19. its a huge difference in reactions over a 10 year span!!
    married to DH on March 15, 2018 <3 TTC since May 2018
    dx: PCOS, hypothroidism <3 tx: timed intercourse with meds (dexa, clomid, letrozole, metformin, trigger shots)
    First TTGP: 5/9/19 BFN, 6/21/19 BFN, 7/29/19 BFN, 8/1/19 started a break from tx, 11/16/19 surprised with a BFP! LO born 7/7/20
    Second TTGP: started meds for first cycle of tx on 10/13/21

• Options
    kristinl492kristinl492 member
    edited March 2020
    @treeofcheem I agree with you on being concerned on how it’s going to affect everything else. Just look at how difficult it is to get something as simple as hand sanitizer right now. It’s concerning to think how this could affect food, medical, household supplies, etc long term. Because of the fact that it is a global issue, not just national. I’m no expert by an means, but the widespread panic will have longer last effects than the actual virus, I think. I think that’s what frustrates me the most about this. The total paranoia and craziness that it’s bringing on. 
    I definitely agree that being pregnant and having a toddler during all of this adds an extra element to it. The data is just so limited.