July 2020 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms w/o 3/9/20

1235»

Re: Weekly Randoms w/o 3/9/20

• Options
    @mehugg packing, packing, and more packing for me. Definitely takes the thrill out of the weekend. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @mehugg also on the "can't focus on work" train! My mom was supposed to be visiting this weekend but ended up canceling yesterday because of everything. We don't have any plans, and honestly, it will be nice to have a relaxing weekend at home with MH and DD. I wish the weather was going to be nicer so we could get outside, but oh well! Maybe this will be the weekend we try to figure out what we need to switch DD to her new room! What do you have planned?
  • Options
    Our best friends are coming in this weekend so that will be fun.

I evidently failed the 1-hour glucose test so I get to do the 3-hour. 
  • Options
    @bluguitarhannah have fun with your friends visiting this weekend! Sorry about the 1 hr glucose test. I know several people who have failed that one and then go on to pass the 3 hour, so fingers crossed you'll be in that group.
  • Options
    rachelredheadrachelredhead member
    edited March 2020
    @mehugg a friend is having a HH for her birthday tomorrow.  I think we may go to that, depends how anxious I get about social distancing. But it would be nice to at least go out for a last hurrah before we feel kinda stuck.  Maybe we'll make dinner reservations somewhere fun or just order take out.  I ordered a 100 piece Star Wars puzzle as a surprise for my husband. We haven't done a puzzle in awhile and it sounds kinda fun to hunker down, eat take out, and work on a puzzle.  We're moving in a month so I'm sure we'll do some packing, too. Probably go for a walk or two. Our church cancelled service and all the cancellations of activities have made me less interested in going out in big groups but I will go BATSH&TCRAZZZZZY if I have to stay inside all the time. We'll need to get out somehow. Do you have fun plans?
  • Options
    Loving these plans, even the packing! I've got nothing. It was going to be dominated by college basketball and socializing around that, but.....I guess we'll get the dog out and stretch out legs but otherwise just laze around. Feels kind of like it does around here when we get a blizzard but without the inclement weather!
  • Options
    @mehugg I was thinking the same! We're in Minnesota and I was thinking it feels similar before a big storm, hunkering down and making soup.  So it'll be weird to isolate ourselves while the sun is shining. That's a win though, we can at least do some chores in the yard and such. Our dog is already not sure what to do with herself with me being home all day, add lots of outdoor time and she'll be in heaven. 
  • Options
    @kristinl492 aww that is such a hard transition, but making it to two with dry nursing is amazing! DD still nurses in the morning at 20 months, but I wonder each day if it’s our last day. My goal is two as well, but we shall see. Congrats to you!!
  • Options
    @kc0711 I know exactly what you mean, every night I would wonder if it was the last time. I just wanted to be aware when the last time was, so I could soak it in as the last timeand not be mindlessly perusing my phone. Thankfully, I was. He probably would’ve been done a month ago if I didn’t offer every night. I wanted to hit the 2 year mark and give him every last drop of those good antibodies that I had left in there, especially in flu season. I hope you get to reach your goal!! 
  • Options
    @rachelredhead weirdly enough, we DID have a ton of snow today, which is basically unheard of in my area, in March. It snowed a little yesterday too and it just felt like the most Friday the 13th-y Friday the 13th ever. But it actually made today super nice, being all snowy with nowhere to go. Felt like we were trapped inside for a fun reason.

I scheduled a video call with 3 of my best friends so we got to catch up and hang out as much as we could. Two of my friends were making pie for Pi Day, and it was super nice but also made me miss them a lot!

Also, my husband and I might murder each other soon. 
  • Options
    @bluguitarhannah hope you’re having lots of fun with friends this weekend!! Boo for failing the 1hr, but lots fail that but pass the 3hr. FX you’re one of those!

@rachelredhead We don’t have any plans to keep us from going stir crazy yet. We’ll definitely end up having some play dates, as long as everyone is healthy, but I think DH and I are actually excited to NOT have plans for once! We’re going to soak in all the lazy time and worry about going stir crazy later 😂
  • Options
    @blaf322 sometimes life is so busy it is definitely so nice to not have plans! We really enjoy our free weekends these days! 

I finally get to see little E on Tuesday. It’s been almost 11 weeks since our last ultrasound. Can’t wait but always a little nerve racking going into the big scan. 

Today I am unpacking things back into our house 🙈 it’s kind of nice to reorganize and say eh we haven’t needed this for a couple weeks so maybe we don’t need it! I’m liking the minimalist look or well more minimal than we were that is. 

Also, I bought one of those rolling carts when they were on sale at Michaels and had grand plans but it didn’t work out so does anyone have one and have some inspiration for it. I’m thinking maybe I’ll use it in our room for diapers and things 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Options
    @blaf322 we scheduled my baby shower for May 30. No canceling over here so far 🙈🤞🏼. Can’t imagine things remaining shut down and the ban on gatherings to last two more months (maybe it will who really knows). My coworker was supposed to have hers on Thursday. FTM herself (*TW* after 4-5 horrible miscarriages over the last couple years.. End TW) . I’m sad for her. (WA has banned and shut down practically everything)
  • Options
    b_1029b_1029 member
    edited March 2020
    @blaf322 I didn’t even think about that. Mine is scheduled for 5/17 and then one 6/6 (DH + my families live in different states) so hopefully they doesn’t get canceled :( Not because I’m greedy, but because I want to see everyone. ETA the one here would have around 20 people and the one back home closer to 30-35 bc my family is huge)

@hbird0723 I’ve seen some really cute diaper carts on Pinterest! 
  • Options
    @b_1029 tbh, that's why I'm most disappointed for my own too, missing out on the time with friends/family. But, I strongly feel like FTM should ABSOLUTELY get lots of gifts to help them get started!

My thought for my friend (and maybe some of you could use this tactic if needed?) was that maybe we could send a tentative (like, if shit isn't still hitting the fan) save the date for a shower after the baby comes and provide everyone with her registry info as well as her address, noting that anyone wanting to purchase off the registry to help before baby comes, can send gifts directly to them and the party will be on x date. That way, they still get the help they need before baby comes AND the fun shower after. It would be a SUPER tacky thing to do if we weren't in the situation we're in... but this is just very different and I don't think anyone would judge.
    I need to run it by her mom, who I expect will want to host the shower... she's a nice and smart lady... but she's awkward when it comes to social stuff so I can see her struggling with how to handle this. 
  • Options
    I have three showers planned (April 18, May 16, May 24). The April one will definitely get cancelled because it’s so soon and because it’s hosted by my mom’s friends, many of whom would be higher risk. The May ones? Who knows. I’m assuming those will cancel too. Maybe we can squeeze in something in June or just call it a bust. I’m sad. After losses and what felt like a long journey, showers were something I was genuinely looking forward to. But it’s not worth the celebration if anyone gets ill. 😞
  • Options
    @rachelredhead ugh... I'm so sorry. I'm sad for you! You should DEFINITELY have a sip'n'see or post-baby shower once the baby is here. I know it's not the same and I know the disappointment will still be there over the whole thing... But, you and baby should be celebrated! 
  • Options
    @rachelredhead I’m with you there on the journey and wanting to celebrate. Maybe selfishly, but that’s what I’m the most bummed about (other than getting to see family) if they get canceled. Planning on playing the May shower by ear and hoping things die down by June. 
  • Options
    I just remembered (when I tried to add @modoodles ... I think you have to be friends with the person who adds you. So, pause on sending email addresses right now while I figure this out. It could just be a limitation for me bc I’m mobile 
  • Options
    I stocked up on some supplies last week, like nipple pads, a manual breast pump, burp cloths, etc. I was curious to see what the pump felt like so slapped it on my right gazonga... wow, that was a strange sensation. Is that what breastfeeding feels like?
  • Options
    @lizzybean84 no... nursing and pumping feel totally different, in my opinion. I feel like nursing hurts more (at first) but pumping is more aggressive with your nipple lol... if that makes any sense. I feel like it'll make sense when you've done both.
  • Options
    @blaf322 Aggressive is right, after just a few attempted pumps last night my nipple had warped into some kind of weird lightened torpedo shape.
  • Options
    @lizzybean84 haha... that's normal right after pumping :smile: For when you're actually pumping, a couple of tips:
    1- be sure to lube up the flange with nipple cream before pumping. It'll help make things more comfortable
    2- if your output isn't great or pumping feels uncomfortable, you likely need a different flange size. Most women (that I know) end up needing a larger size flange. 
  • Options
    @blaf322 Thank you so much for the tips! By nipple cream do you mean that really intense lanolin stuff or is there a lighter specific nipple cream? I haven't looked into that side of things yet. You're an angel!

• Options
    @lizzybean84 No problem!! I prefer this Medela brand. The Lansinoh brand may be what you're thinking of when you say intense. That stuff is really thick and requires you to kind of warm it between your fingers before using. I found it was painful to put on, if my nips were already tender from nursing, b/c it was so thick. The Medela stuff is thinner and much easier to use, for me.
  • Options
    Thank you so much @blaf322 <3<3