September 2020 Moms
Options

The Name Thread

Re: The Name Thread

• Options
    My husband and I are using the BabyName app. You swipe right if you want to save the name and it creates a list of names both people like. Good news: we like one boy and one girl name. Bad news: we need 6 of each, for a total of 12 names, for first and middle names, in case we have 3 boys or 3 girls... 
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • Options
    Choosing a name is the most fun but highest stress part of preparing for baby. So much pressure! we have so many very opinionated friends and family members who all have something to say about anything we choose.

Thus far our girl selections are Juniper, Thessaly, Ruth, Reverie, Penelope, Ashling, Elspeth, and Billie Jo (which is DH's dad's name actually but he thinks it would be cute) her middle name will be Janet after my mother.
    Our boy picks are Cooper, Timothy (my dad's name), Crowley, Seamas, Fionn, and Renner (my mother's family name) 
    We also like London and Salem as either or. 
    I try to take our older kids' names into account each of them has a part of their names that are in honor of someone we love and both boys are named from books that mean a lot to us. We have Eric Davidson, Lenora Kay and Victor Eugene.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do you guys plan on telling the name to family and friends or keep it a secret?
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @Louise_Belcher definitely keeping the name a secret, we aren't finding out the gender either so it'll be one big surprise once baby comes!  Can't find any boy names we like though so may need to ask for suggestions at least. 
  • Options
    @Louise_Belcher we’ve always kept the name a secret as we don’t care to hear our friends/families opinions about it (good or bad). 
  • Options
    @Louise_Belcher we'll tell and probably do the same as DS. We just said "hey, here's his name. This is already his name". We had no comments from family or friends, just random people lol
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • Options
    @Louise_Belcher definitely keeping the names secret. As we didn’t find out last time we narrowed down our list to three names each and it worked well. We will definitely do that again. It’s tougher this time though. I don’t like most of the names we had on our list and I’m having a hard time finding ones I like. Good thing we have a bit of time...
  • Options
    H and I downloaded the baby name app and surprisingly we both like.a lot of the same names! I didn’t think it would be that easy. We will see when it comes to narrowing things down 😂 and @Louise_Belcher we will be keeping the name a secret (I think?) I want to keep the sex secret as well but knowing H he will spill lol
  • Options
    Have two girls already and we don’t find out what the baby is until the baby is here.  We’re screwed if we have another girl!  Boy name will be Caleb or Jacob.
  • Options
    @Louise_Belcher We are keeping it a secret like we did with DS. We were so open about other things during the pregnancy that we thought it was nice to keep this for ourselves. People got pretty annoying about us not telling. When they would ask and I said it was a secret until birth they would always give me the judgy "oh" like I I owed them something. I have heard of people using fake names to tell people during the pregnancy so that people will leave them alone about the name.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    When we get remotely close to some options I will likely share here, but like others I will be keeping it a secret from everyone IRL. Usually I just say we are going in with a few names and are not certain which we will choose. Most have not pushed to find out. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Options
    We had friends who changed their boy name because both in laws didn’t like it.  We don’t even tell people our choices, once the baby is born they find out!  Keeps it more fun for us personally as well.  Good luck to everyone!
  • Options
    @Louise_Belcher We told with our first and someone legitimately messaged me and said, “after hearing that name we really like it, would you be offended if we used it?” The boys are 4 months apart..... I was kind of weirded out by it so I was honest and said yeah... I kind of tried to pick a fairly uncommon name with hopes no one else we knew had it, but.......... Thankfully they went with the name they first had in mind.. 

We decided we won’t share names anymore (with ANYONE) since that. I also don’t need DH’s grandma’s comments about every name we have in mind, either. It’s not up to you, lady, and you won’t change our minds.. 

• Options
    I was just on the phone with my mom sharing some names. We will probably share with her and maybe H’s parents but I won’t announce publicly until after the baby is born. I’m kind of glad I told her some names because she has a bad association with one of them. I know ultimately it’s our decision but it’s not a name I was totally in love with anyway so I just scratched it. 
  • Options
    Definitely not telling anyone publicly until the baby is born, to avoid giving away the gender and to also avoid judging of the name. Will likely tell my sister and the baby's godparents, but that will be it. It's genderless until born!
    Also, I love the name Juniper, just throwing that out there for you Bea! 
  • Options
    @macheno I LOVE that idea about fake names, oooo! Meet babies Margaret Braylee and Conrad Gaylord 😆🤭
  • Options
    I'm sort of dreading the name discussion this time. It's always turned into a marriage fight around here. We have very different styles, and I love doing the research on history, trends, etymology, etc. My husband hates the discussion but wants his ideas heard and considered but refuses the background research. In the end I've always just "won" because he realizes it means more to me than him and I'm really good at it. He joked with me about requiring a presentation complete with graphs and focus groups over my name choices this time. And I really want to be Team Green so we would need to decide on names for both. I think I'm just gonna make a short list and we will decide together after baby is born. It's hard though because I'm sort of already set on a boy's name (have been for several years) and I'm like 85% sure this is a boy. It's a family name and it works perfectly with my other two girls. I have Eden and Ivy and I'm set on Eli or Elias for a boy. My great grandfather on my dad's side was Elias.
    Married: May 26, 2012
    Eden: February 8, 2016
    Ivy: April 3, 2018
    Baby 3.0: Due September 26, 2020
  • Options
    robyn2201 said:
    We will tell people once we have decided. I don’t care if they don’t like it. MIL already told me our girl name, Fiona, was awful. That was going to be DS’s name if he was a girl. She basically said I’m so glad he isn’t a girl because that name is awful and proceeded to laugh loudly. I hope one of the twins is a girl just so we can use the name and tell her to get over it. 
    FWIW, Fiona is beautiful. <3
    Married: May 26, 2012
    Eden: February 8, 2016
    Ivy: April 3, 2018
    Baby 3.0: Due September 26, 2020
  • Options
    emohay1988emohay1988 member
    edited March 2020
    @geojaminee I LOVE the idea of a maiden name as a middle name. My mom gave me her maiden name as a middle name, and I've been considering passing it on as a middle name to either a boy or girl. It's my grandfather's last name who immigrated to the US from Norway in the 1950's. Love a name with a story behind it!!
  • Options
    @geojaminee Not weird at all. My first name is my mom’s maiden name and DS1’s first name is my maiden name.
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Options
    @geojaminee Not weird! I actually have 2 middle names since I got married because I chose to keep my maiden name as a second middle name. My cousin also used our maiden name as her son’s middle name. I would’ve if she hadn’t. 
  • Options
    Also, how weird would it be to use my maiden name as a middle name for a boy? It was originally my other great grandfather's first name, but when he came from Lebanon, he wrote his name right to left like you do in Arabic and it registered as his last name. So it became our last name. 
    My sons middle name is my paternal grandmothers maiden name (she passed a few
    months before he was born and she was my best friend). DD2s middle name is my MILs maiden name, DD1 got my middle name. This kid is just getting a name we like...
  • Options
    @poppyandpines one of my kids' middle names is Lucas, because of Star Wars!
    DS1 2009
    DS2 2010
    DS3 2014
    DD born 8/24/2020!
  • Options
    We have a few names on our list but our current front runner is Finnegan/Finn. Possibly Finnegan Cassidy.
    it is so hard not to ask our family and friends what they think but we’ve agreed to keep it secret until he is born this time.
  • Options
    @beaandthebabes my DS is Finn 😊 I got lots of strange looks when I first announced it but everyone thinks the name is very appropriate now
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • Options
    Unfortunately, my SO has broken it to me that he doesn't really like the name Dominic 😭 It's alright I guess, I really like it but I don't have any particular reason for wanting it other than that I like it so we'll work together to come up with a boy name we both love 💗
  • Options
    @raesky1111 my husband doesn't like any of my favs either. Milo, Henry, Oscar, Remi are a no go.

We're still going back and forth, but we finally have a front runner...at least for now ☺️
  • Options
    robyn2201 said:
    I think we have decided on Fiona Grace and Violet Renee. 

We have known for less than 24 hours both babies are girls and we already have pretty solid name choices decided. For DS it took us approx 9 months! I’m so glad it wasn’t two boys names we had to pick. I feel like if we had to pick two boy names they would have been nameless at birth! Girl names are so much easier for us! 
    Those are beautiful names. I’ve only met one Fiona and she’s an amazing person. 

I don’t know how I’m going to name another boy. The last time we didn’t come up with a name until after he’d been delivered despite having known it was a boy very early. 
  • Options
    @robyn2201 Those are beautiful names!

@jrb411 I can never seem to commit until the baby is here and even then H has had to push it and say this is the name. Naming is so permanent and so much pressure.
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Options
    @robyn2201 Love those names! I love Fiona.

@chasingroygbiv We also chose an uncommon name for our first born. Hilariously, someone I went to college with named her baby the same-- we don't go in the same circles, don't live in the same state, so I'm sure it was a fluke. I'd be upset if someone I knew and associated with chose the same name. Likewise, I'd feel like I couldn't choose a name of someone else's kid because I don't want to take that away from them.

We're having twins, and not finding out sexes, so we need boy/boy, boy/girl, and girl/girl. Making it even harder, I have it in my head I want the twin names to match on some level, in some way, even if not obvious. We have a list we're working on, but nothing seems to ring out. With our first, we also didn't find out the sex and it took almost all 9 months to get our boy name. We had our names picked out before I got pregnant, and somewhere early on I suddenly felt like the boy name did not fit and I could not name a baby that-- even though I still love the name. (Jameson/James.) Naming babies is HARD work!
  • Options
    Since we found out we’re having a boy, we’ve decided on Isaac Alexander. Our other son is Jacob Alexander and I love they’ll both share their middle name which is also their dads name! 
  • Options
    @jayandaplus Glad to see another momma expecting twins!
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Options
    I cannot waaaaaiiiit to have a name for this baby. One week until we find out who’s residing in this belly of mine!  <3
  • Options
    It would definitely be nice to stop calling this one "it" or "baby" lol.
    If it's a girl we're still not 100% set on which of the two names we're going with.
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022