July 2020 Moms
Options

February STM+ check in

2»

Re: February STM+ check in

• Options
    Ugh just going to rant over here that DS woke up at 4am this morning, then proceeded to have probably his worse tantrum to date during daycare drop off. I hope he’s okay today and doesn’t try to run away 😂 
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 :D That's super cute!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 ah that is adorable. Here's hoping baby 2 is a sleeper lol! @coffeeandcookies84 on the other hand, DS waking up at the butt crack of dawn and then tantruming is the opposite of adorable lol.
  • Options
    CS mamas.... what do I need to get to make recovery easier?

My friend just posted on DD's BMB about how much pain she's in (like, standing up and walking brings her to tears) after a recent CS and I'm panicking. So, if you didn't notice during my, I have to have a baby at 34ish weeks freak out, my coping mechanism is preparing. Help me prep! How can I help myself! What should I buy?
  • Options
    @blaf322 don't let her one bad experience freak you out too much! My sister just had a CS in January and was super worried about taking care of her 18 month old toddler too, and her recovery was a breeze. She said it was better than her vaginal delivery with her first. I'll text her and ask if there's anything she recommends, but just trying to remind you that your recovery could also be easy!
  • Options
    @blaf322 here's her response:
    "I'd tell her days 3-5 were the worst so knowing once you are past that point it gets better! I also used a step stool to help me get into bed because it was almost impossible to get into my high bed. That sounds stupid but that was the only thing that helped me :lol:"

I'm sure your doctors will tell you and you probably already know, but getting up and moving as much as possible and as early as possible will help make your recovery easier too. Fingers crossed your recovery will be more like my sister's than your friend's! (And that's really awful for your friend, I can't imagine having to care for a newborn and toddler while being in that much pain.)
  • Options
    Adding to what @stlbuckeye132 said, you have to move, you just have to! It seems so counterintuitive, but moving helps to break up the gas that is in your body from the surgery. Take the gas pills, they are a lifesaver. I was off pain pills pretty quick, but needed the gas pills for a while. Day 2-3 were the worst for me, but once I got through those I was ok. If you plan to bf, a boppy pillow or something was really helpful for me to keep baby off the incision while nursing. I also needed a step stool to get in and out of bed. I also couldn’t lay flat while sleeping for a long time, it was too much stretching on my incision, so I slept semi-reclined for a while. And once you get the go ahead, scar massage!! The more you can break up the scar tissue, the better. All in all, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. I was terrified when I went in, but really didn’t need to be. And if you are in to things like this, ask about a gentle c-section where you have a clear drape to see baby be born. A lot of hospitals now are offering it, as well as immediate skin to skin after just like a vaginal birth. 
  • Options
    blaf322blaf322 member
    edited February 2020
    Questions for both of you (or anyone)... sorry... I'm being a crazy person. I know it but I can't stop it lol

1- I feel like I've heard people saying that putting pressure on the incision when standing helps with pain. Am I making this up? Also, is there any kind of band or anything I should buy to hold things in after (again, b/c of the whole pressure thing I think I've heard)? 
    2- Should I get special undies or something so the incision site isn't bothered by my regular ones?
    3- What kind of pants were best after? I think I'm going to need to buy some. Or would you try to stick to dresses? B/c, summer and hot... plus surgical site.

@stlbuckeye132 thank you so much for asking her for me!! We have a rice bed (so high off the ground) and, thankfully, it came with steps! I didn't even think about how hard getting in and out of that will be. Now I'm definitely leaving the Halo bassinet on the registry b/c there's no way I could get in and out a ton at night without it. Great insight!! 

@kc0711 Thank you for those tips! I haven't said it to anyone else yet, but the gas thing was something I was so worried about :D It sounds dumb, but I swear, I always hear stomach surgery folks complain about how bad the gas is after and it just made me so nervous lol... I'll be googling scar massage! I've seen a lot about the clear drapes. I would pass TF out lol... but I super wish I was one of those people that could see it! I'm so interested by it, but my stomach is too weak for that. I'm hoping for immediate skin to skin and delayed cord clamping... but have to expect that one or both of those may not be an option for us because of the early delivery. Whomp whomp! But, we'll get through that and it'll be fine!
  • Options
    @blaf322

1&2 I bought this undies that had like extra support, they were high cut with a velcro band that you could adjust while tummy gets back to its "normal size", I really find some of my undies uncomfortable as they would sit right above the incision, this was only like a few months after since at least in my case the incision area felt very sensitive or maybe it was just me... who knows....

about pants, I wore dresses and then moved to yoga pants or just PJs, but that was October.... for this time I am planning on being bare naked :lol:  maybe stick to dresses
  • Options
    @blaf322
    about the pain, I must say, that it does hurt but its not that bad, I never cried or complained about pain, I did need help to get out of bed if I was laying down flat, but it was mostly because I was afraid that the incision could open, which is unlikely to happen but still... other than that I did everything else normally... I did avoided stairs the first 2 days... also everyone feels different, so don't be afraid, you can do this!!! 
  • Options
    side note: I'd totally just text her to ask, but she's dealing with a lot today and I just don't want to burden her with my, probably unfounded, stress
  • Options
    @mayisch haha... I support the nudity plan :D 
  • Options
    @blaf322 I haven’t had a CS, but my mom had 3 and she said her biggest challenge was getting out of bed. She said you have to remember to roll because crunching those stomach muscles is a no-go! I’ve heard from other CS moms that support bands/wraps really do help. Wishing you all the luck for the world’s smoothest CS recovery!
  • Options
  • Options
    @blaf322 I forgot my favorite tip!! So I went to Costco and got some high waist no seam granny panties, super attractive, let me tell you. But you put an extra long panty liner in the front of the undies over your incision and it helps to keep it dry and protected. My incision was both stitched and glued, so I wore the panty liner/granny panty combo until the glue was taken off at 2 weeks, I think I wore it for a few days after the glue came off and then felt good enough to go without. Helped to keep the sweat away from the incision and pad it a bit. I also just wore not tight elastic waist pants or full panel maternity shorts while it healed. I didn’t have to make very maybe accommodations for clothing, much less than I thought I would.  
  • Options
    @blaf322 just add perspective, my friend had a C-section this summer, and she was discharged a day earlier than they normally discharge any C-section patient, and she never mentioned being in pain a single time. She took nothing but Tylenol after the C-section. I would say she’s on the extreme side of high pain tolerance and fast recovery, but just adding to the anecdotes that it’s not always that bad.

Also, in terms of not using your abs to get out of bed... I didn’t have a C-section, but could anybody use their abs to get out of bed? Mine were destroyed for at least the first week, and rolling was definitely my only option to get out of bed LOL. It didn’t take too long for them to recover but they were totally useless at first. I was also used to rolling out of bed because at the end of pregnancy that was also the only way I could do it!
  • Options
    @blaf322 ditto to what @Pascal86 said, one of my best friends just had her second via c-section a few months ago and her recovery was fine both times (except that she had pre-e, but that had nothing to do with the c section). I'm assuming you'll have help around in terms of someone to hand you the baby especially those first days when you really need to heal, it sound like that was really important. I'm happy to ask her details as we get closer (or any time really!).
  • Options
    Y'all are amazing! Thank you so much!

@meanjellybean DH will take some time to hang with us at first and I'm definitely getting the Halo that'll make it so I don't have to get out of bed to get the baby during MOTN wakes lol

@kc0711 talk about a pro tip! I'll be sure to have some of those XL liners on hand!
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @mrs_sheddy I feel you! My daughter turns 6 next month. Sleeping in and hot baths are going to be dearly missed. But I miss the innocence of a little babe and I’m excited to get to experience that again!
  • Options
    blaf322blaf322 member
    edited February 2020
    @coffeeandcookies84 haha... just wait, he's going to tell someone that in a store. Loudly. I would almost put money on it
  • Options
    Spam me with gift ideas to get DD for her 2nd bday. :joy: Note: we don't have tons of space in our house and no dedicated play area, so I try to keep her stuff somewhat minimal. 
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 I like sand/water tables or slides for outside! It kept mine entertained for HOURS when they were younger.
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 what about outdoor play things? Does she have a bike? We got DD a scooter for her 3rd bday but my bestie's DD was using hers well before 3yo. 
    DD looooves dolls and has these things:
    Doll Stroller/Pram
    Doll car seat
    Doll Diaper Bag
    Doll Crib
    Doll High Chair

I know some of those are bigger things, but DD looooves them (mostly the stroller and car seat) so they're 100% worth the space they take up. Also, for you, any of these would make timely gifts since she'll be a big sister soon and will likely want to mimic some of what you're doing with baby.

And so you don't think we're psychos who buy all of this... we're not. They were ALL gifts. Mimi likes to go overboard lol
  • Options
    She also has this baby doll (or a similar Melissa and Doug one)... I don't know about your DD, but mine discriminates.... she does not like babies with hair :D Like, will not play with them or, if she does, they're always bad and in time out bahaha
  • Options
    @modoodles @blaf322 thank you!! I feel like I'm terrible at coming up with things she'll actually use because I'm always like, "is this age appropriate? wtf do 2 yr olds do? I've never had one before." So hearing from more experienced moms helps. :lol: My parents are getting her a little playground thing for outside, but I think maybe we'll get her a balance bike... they've gotten rave reviews from the moms in my other BMB but I'd forgotten until you reminded me of bikes/outside riding things! She does have a couple baby dolls that she's sometimes into but not always. I may give some of those suggestions as ideas to other people though because it would definitely be good for her to have her own baby to take care of when this one's on the outside!
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 i can’t remember what we got DS for his second birthday (probably Duplo), but I agree that a bike is a great idea! We bought DS a used Strider bike when he was 18 months and he still loves it. He just got his first pedal bike at Christmas and the balance bike helped tremendously!

we also live in a small house with minimal extra space, but we just bought a tabletop easel from Melissa and Doug for DS and that’s also been a hit.
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 balance bike is a great idea! We considered getting DD one but never ended up pulling the trigger b/c she already had her regular bike.
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 I second the outdoor play stuff. Bubble machine was (still is) always a big hit. 
    I think for D's 2nd birthday she got things like a cash register/play food/purse. And stuff for her baby dolls like mentioned above. Markers/crayons/paper/paint/paint brushes or other crafty things are always good too. Stickers! 

• Options
    @mrs_sheddy yesss on the bubble machine! 

This one is what we have and it's the best!! Also, their bubble solution is waaaaay better than any others and totally worth the cost lol