April 2020 Moms

BTDT - Questions for STM+s/Advice to FTMs

1235»

Re: BTDT - Questions for STM+s/Advice to FTMs

• @mandarenee898 we use Pampers when not cloth diapering. I haven’t really tried any other brands to be honest. 
  • mercury94mercury94 member
    edited January 2020
    We used Pampers Swaddlers for the newborn phase. We got some Huggies And other brands at our shower/diaper parties, so we used those too. I liked the way the Huggies fit better, but I felt like I could smell the pee on them more, so we stuck with Pampers when we ran out. We now use Pampers Pure (which is their version of trying to be more environmentally friendly). I like them a lot. They fit my toddler well and we have no leak issues. But, they are pricier, so we will probably stick with Swaddlers for the newborn phase when she goes through a bunch of diapers in a day. 

For wipes, we use Pampers sensitive. The Huggies wipes didn’t clean well enough for me. Neither did the grocery store brand. 

ETA: l@literatureandink I have a friend that swears by Honest, too. But, she mostly does cloth and uses Honest for newborn phase and trips or long day outings, so she doesn’t buy them that often and doesn’t complain about the price. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Loading the player...
  • @literatureandink We use honest diapers sometimes. I think they work better than 7th gen diapers, but I much prefer Hello Bello diapers.  When DS was little, hello bello wasn't around yet, so we used babyganics. If cute patterns are your thing, hello bello is just as cute if not cuter. They're also way softer in my opinion. And they're a vegan company. 

I used this site to help me figure out which ones I wanted to try in the beginning. They test for all the things. 

https://www.babygearlab.com/topics/diapering-potty/best-disposable-diaper
  • @babybison That's super helpful! Cute patterns are a plus but definitely not high on my list of reasons to get a specific brand. I was leaning toward Honest Co because my cousin swears they don't leak and they're convenient -you can get them on Amazon. If Hello Bello work as well and are cheaper then that would be a no brainer for me IF they could also be purchased through Amazon.
  • @doraleigh35 thanks for the vitamin e reply! I totally forgot they make that in capsule form. 

@Kathryn0903 thanks for the input.  Is the Pampers rewards program worth it where it ends up paying for itself?  

@KFrob I’ve heard good things about Target diapers too! And yes, those were the wipes I was thinking of (we buy them for our dog when it’s muddy outside to wipe his paws off before he gets mud around the house 😆)
  • @KFrob Thanks, I’ve been trying to eat really healthy and limit my carbs today. 🤞🏻I pass!
  • @mandarenee898 I’d be hesitant to overstock. Some babies have sensitive skin, and react to different diapers. For example, my little guy got the worst rash after one swim in the huggies swim diaper. 

@literatureandink I really like the Amazon brand of diapers, Mama Bear. I used them a lot when I was in the US for a few months last year, but we can’t get them in Canada. Now I use and love Rascal + Friends; my best friend was a fan of honest, but I gave her a few and she ended up switching. She said they are the same quality, and half the price of honest. Not sure if they are available in the US though?
  • @mandarenee898 I think it takes a lot tp get rewards from the pampers rewards program, but it's still worth signing up if you choose to go with pampers. Every few months, I would have enough for a diaper coupon.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Sailing_Mama thanks for the advice!  I’m putting the items on the registry and buying from there so I can return/exchange unopened items. 

@Kathryn0903 thanks! I was just hoping that it was something that made the clean diaper pile regenerate on its own! 😂  We’re going to start with pampers just cause most people we know did and didn’t have an issue. When they get a little bigger we’ll probably check out the less expensive brands / bulk stores as 2 babies in diapers will add up the $ quick! 
  • 7th Generation worked better for us than Honest. No leaks, no rash, and they just seemed to fit better.
  • There's something about the smell of new Pampers that I just can't handle.  The Pure ones didn't have the same smell, but if there's a box of regular ones the house it drives me nuts. 
  • @babybison I feel that way about Huggies I think.  There was some brand that we were gifted that almost smelled like it was scented and I hated it!
  • Pampers swaddlers til babe was more mobile then we moved to costco for daytime but stuck with pampers for night time they worked great. We are all about the water wipes over here-especially bc we use wipes for everything!
    @mandarenee898 binder helped a ton with the sneezing/laughing stitches thing. Sometimes I used a pillow too if it was the end of the day and I hadn't had meds in forever, but otherwise I was pretty good. Hoping for the same this round.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • mandarenee898mandarenee898 member
    edited January 2020
    @smallbutmighty77 thanks! I’ll be buying one soon. My belly band is the belly bandit brand and I love it so I’ll be buying the binder in the same brand. (Thankful that we can use HSA on it. Whoot!)

Edited for typos 
  • C section mamas - how long was it before you could drive? My 3rd trimester info from the doctor says 1 week or when you can slsm on brakes without feeling pain. Not planning on having a c section currently, but want to be realistic about expectations if I do end up needing one.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Not sure if this has been asked yet, but how any bottles do we need? Planning on breastfeeding and pumping so that DH can also feed baby sometimes. 
  • @korthouse I needed 3 or 4 a day for daycare. If it’s just to feed sometimes, that might be enough. I had probably 13 for exclusive bottle feeding. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • @korthouse I'm planning on doing the same (breastfeeding and pumping) and my question is when are we supposed to start pumping? I heard if you start too early there can be nipple confusion...
  • mercury94mercury94 member
    edited January 2020
    @literatureandink I started pumping right away because DS refused the breast anyway due to my supply issues. My SIL, who had much more luck BFing than I did, said to wait a month to avoid oversupply. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • @korthouse we completely formula fed and had a ton of bottles. It honestly depends on how often you're going to clean the bottles. I would have somewhere around 10 bottles to start out with if you're entirely bottle feeding.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Sailing_Mama one of my good friends uses rascal & friends and loves them! I plan to get some to use for the first month before I switch to cloth. As long as they come in newborn size! 

@literatureandink As a maternity nurse we usually recommend waiting to pump until BF is established and your supply is a bit more regulated (at least a few weeks) unless you are having a supply or feeding issue or will be separated from your baby. It could just lead to engorgement. And yes some babies grow to prefer the bottle over the breast initially due to a faster flow/ quicker satisfaction/ easier as they are learning how to BF. Not necessarily nipple confusion but more nipple preference. Later on plenty of BF babies refuse bottles! So introduce not too soon but sooner than later 😆 I’d say 2 weeks to 1 month of age. We have some patients that BF and then top up with bottle right from the start and never seem to have an issue (however I don’t see them for more than a few days). 

Using a haaka or milkease might be a better option at the beginning vs pumping to start building a stock pile. Also remember once you introduce bottle feeds you need to pump to replace that feed to maintain your milk supply! 

If you have access to a lactation consultant use them! Each baby & situation is different and they can be so helpful! 
  • Thank you so much @kath1414 that’s super helpful!!!
  • Favourite nursing bras ??? Everyone I know seems to love bravado. I bought one the other day and it’s ok... nothing amazing. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • @kath1414 Soma are my favorite
  • This may be a stupid question, but my mind is racing lately since it seems like we are getting so close to go time... but I should have a diaper bag ready just like my hospital bag, right? 
  • @ejoseph16 not necessarily. Hospital should provide all the necessary items for baby while you're there. I am just sticking anything I want for baby while at hospital in my bag. Last time I didn't use anything of my own for baby other than clothes while at hospital.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @ejoseph16 I had the diaper bag ready to go, but mostly so that it was also ready to go for doctor appointments or other necessary outings in the first few weeks. For the hospital itself, I really only used the clothes that I packed. This time, I also plan to take bottles and formula as well just in case. Those were not offered by the hospital last time (likely because I said I wanted to breastfeed, I just wasn’t able to).

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • @mercury94 that’s kind of more of what I was thinking. More to just make a habit right away of carrying it. 
  • Those of you with toddlers, how far ahead do you plan on setting up the baby stuff (swing, pack n play, etc) to get your toddler used to it?  When DD2 was born DD1 was old enough to understand not to play with the baby stuff so we didn’t worry about it, but DD2 is only 16 months old and into everything. 
  • @KFrob DS is 2.5 and moving into his big boy room and bed next weekend. We have always had the swing up, but we'll begin setting the crib back up and getting the nursery set up soon. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903 Lucky! I wish we could move DS into his big kid room, but we haven't started or finished renovating it yet. I'd love to have him settled so he doesn't think the new kid is kicking him out 
  • @KFrob our nursery furniture is up and we have some baby stuff in the playroom. 
    But DD has definitely been all about the nursery and is the blanket hers etc.
    *tw*
    Its more confusing for her bc to her brother is Spencer and the room never finished getting set up for him and he never came home. So we have to explain that this isn't Spencer's room now and that this little brother will live here more than just as a tree or his quilt. So its confusing for her but shes excited 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @smallbutmighty77 that must be so so hard to explain 
  • @smallbutmighty77 Big hugs. That’s such a tough thing to have to tell her. 

DS is almost 2.5. We have started putting baby stuff in the nursery. I think we’ll pull the swing back out in two weeks when DH is home for Spring Break. That’s also when we are installing the car seat. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • If I want to use reusable nursing pads how many should I have on hand? How often did you need to change them out if you were breastfeeding?
  • @korthouse You may end up like me and never use them. Everyone is different. I remember getting free ones from bamboobies. I think you should see what free samples are available and go from there.