April 2020 Moms

Weekly Questions 2/9

What questions do we have?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Weekly Questions 2/9

• This is a strange question that popped in my head last night while folding laundry.  STM+ moms:  If you have clothes that your kids wear and destroy with food/marker/paint/god knows what, and you can't get the stains out, do you give up and throw those clothes away, or do you say heck with it, and send them to school/daycare in those stained clothes instead of letting them destroy the unstained clothes.  
  • @KFrob I use them for days I know daycare or we are going to be messy. I don't always know about daycare, but if we're planning to paint or be messy or if i know she isn't feeling great and it might be a saturday spent mostly at home I'll let her wear stuff. Avoids getting more stuff messy.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • @smallbutmighty77 I don't ever know what projects they have planned at daycare, I wish I did! I feel like both kids always have some sort of food on them.  I go back and forth with wanting to dress my kids in cute outfits and then getting mad when they get ruined and saying I should just keep the ruined stuff and send them in that.  I also over think it and I'm like if it's stained are people going to think its dirty?  Ugh  
  • How's everyone sleeping? I can't get a good night's sleep without Unisom and I feel bad having to take something.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903 I’m not sleeping, really. I get about three uninterrupted hours of sleep per night. It’s really taking its toll on me. Whether it’s me hips and back making me toss and turn or just straight up hormonal insomnia, a good night of sleep is beyond me. The only days I actually feel decent are non work days because I can nap. 🙁
  • krthousekrthouse member
    edited February 2020
    @Kathryn0903 I usually don't have trouble getting to sleep but I have trouble staying asleep. I'll wake up to pee or primarily because my body gets really achy. My ribs are so sore this morning and my hips are usually sore
  • @Kathryn0903 does unisom help you stay asleep or just fall asleep?
  • @literatureandink it helps me stay asleep. I don't generally like taking medicine, but I just need it for a few good nights a week.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903 I might need to try it then because I am at the end of my options. lol
  • @literatureandink I only take 1/2 of the unisom and it works enough.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • What apps are you using for tracking things like breastfeeding and contractions? Any other handy ones?
  • I used the Medela app for pumping with the first two.  This is the first time I've downloaded a breastfeeding app, it's called Baby Nursing.  My lactation program through work also gave me a list of apps to down load but I can't find it right now.  Also, Wonder Weeks!  Everyone should get it!  It lets you know when your baby will be going through developmental leaps and when to expect fussy periods.  
  • @liligirl87 i loved this one with my first and looks like they’ve expanded it. Can track bottles, boobs, diapers, sleep, pumping and can sync with your partner. I wasn’t as good about using it with my second but going to try again. 

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020

• @literatureandink I'm taking a pill called Diaclegis that has Unisom and B6 basically combined as a delayed-release capsule for the nausea I've dealt with all pregnancy, but I take it at night because it does help my sleep some. I'm usually able to get 4-5 hours of sleep in a row and then I wake up because I'm either sore or have to pee, and then I sleep off and on the last 2-3 hours before I have to get up. So I'd agree with the others and try Unisom to help. 

@liligirl87 FTM - so I haven't used any breastfeeding apps yet, but I've been enjoying using Ovia Pregnancy app to do my kick counts, and I know it's got a contraction counter in there that I thankfully haven't had to use yet. I've gotten a few Braxton Hicks contractions, but I've never had more than 2 before I was able to make them stop completely so I haven't tried timing anything yet. It's my favorite pregnancy app I have. (Sorry, Bump. :lol:
  • I think TB app has a contraction counter.
  • @Kathryn0903 I have been having to take 1/2 tablet of unisom again as well for sleep. Otherwise, my dog breathing, my husband snoring, and my full bladder keep me up all night! 

@liligirl87 I loved the Medela app for tracking nursing, pumping, and baby's diapers after delivery for at least the first few weeks until I knew there was consistent weight gain and my milk supply was established.
  • Has anyone else NOT had Braxton Hicks contractions yet? I’m about 33 weeks and have yet to feel one...unless they’re happening without my knowledge.
  • I second the Wonder Weeks app like @KFrob
    I used Glow last time for diapers/naps/feedings/medicine. But I might switch it up this time. 
  • @literatureandink I've wondered, but am not sure. My last pregnancy I never had any.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @literatureandink I was reading that Braxton Hicks start as early as 6 weeks, but aren't often detectable until 3rd trimester, so maybe yours are still just undetectable?
  • Love all of the app recommendations!

@mwill291 and other ladies with snoring partners - what are you planning for sleeping arrangements after baby? I would love for the the three of us to be in one room, but honestly, I don’t know if that is possible. I have to sleep with headphones in to fall asleep over DH’s snoring, but I don’t feel like I can have headphones in while also trying to be on alert for the baby. I also don’t know if baby will sleep over the snoring. Right now I’m thinking baby and I might end up in the guest room (our guest room is small, but there is room for the cradle). What are your thoughts? Do you have any strategies for all sleeping in the same room?
  • @literatureandink i don't think I've had any either 🤷. (31w) 

Anyone else heard from their Dr/ midwives or previous experience/ benefits with delayed first bath?? I was just working on my birth plan and saw it mentioned  on a template I found online and what I see online it seems like a good thing but curious about others opinions! ☺️ 
  • @nicoleyolee I think it's supposed to be helpful for baby's skin, with the exception of if they release meconium during labour. I would confirm with your birth team though because my midwives said some online template birth plans include things that should be a discussion first
  • @jenabary I don't think my daughter seemed to be bothered by it if I remember correctly and she slept in our room until about 5-6mo. I just nudge him and make him roll over when he gets loud!
  • @nicoleyolee Our hospital does a slight wipe before skin to skin and then a full bath later. I agree with @korthouse, I think it's to help their skin. I think they would also just let you do skin to skin without a wipe, but to be honest there's a lot of nasty stuff I didn't want all over me.
  • Oops should have clarified more. Baby would def have a wipe to get those labor liquids/substances!? off first!  But I was meaning delaying like 24 hours or possiblyeven longer.  for these benefits:

https://www.beebehealthcare.org/why-delaying-first-bath-after-birth-good-thing

I don't have an ob appt for a while now but def have it pinned for discussion during the next one. ☺️
  • @jenabary We intentionally trained DS to sleep in the living room with lights on and dogs running around. He sleeps through pretty much anything now. It’s a big help. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • @mercury94 That is my dream! My husband can sleep through anything, and I hope baby is the same. I was planning to mix up sleeping locations for naps, but keep bedtime consistent. I would love to hear how you helped your son get used to the living room!
  • @jenabary Honestly, I just spent a lot of my time with him in the living room. I had a glider in my living room and would rock him there. Also, his swing was in the living room and that rocking usually got him to sleep. At night, we would usually keep him in the bedroom with the bathroom light on so we could see him. I did take him out to the living room some nights so DH could sleep. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • @nicoleyolee Our midwives suggest not giving them a bath until they come back up to birth weight. They don't push it or anything, but it's supposed to both be good for the baby's skin and immune system, and a bath can be a bit of a stressor for new babies (it's a shock to the system, you can't submerge their bodies until the cord stump is off, and being chilled can take valuable energy that they would use to gain weight otherwise).
  • @nicoleyolee when I was in nursing school, the hospital I did rounds at said the reason they delay the first bath is that they found the newborns had a harder time maintaining body temperature if bathed right away. They had to maintain temp for a certain amount of time before the bath. Also, the vernix caseosa provides hydration and protection for their skin. The hospital I deliver at does it around 24 hrs after birth.
  • I know we had a product spotlight on diapering but I can't find it.  I need some suggestions for inexpensive diapers.  We used to swear by Target brand and they've recently changed the design and they are awful now.  Pampers are our fav but they're so pricey.  
  • @KFrob I don't really know how prices are in the US, but when we were in NY last winter, I used the Amazon brand (Mama Bear) and LOVED them! We didn't have trouble with blowouts or anything, they fit well, they were a greener type (no chlorine bleach, no latex, no fragrance/lotion, etc.). Plus, you can do the subscribe and save if you already have Prime
  • @Sailing_Mama Those are cheap!  thank you!
  • @KFrob once DD was in 1s I think, we went Costco brand. Never had a blowout or leak! We did stick to pampers for overnight.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @smallbutmighty77 I was thinking about Costco since we have one near us and I think that's what my SIL uses on her kids
  • @KFrob we just switched to the Amazon Brand for our daughter and will do the same for this little guy. They are comparable in quality to pampers but considerably cheaper. I have amazon prime and do subscribe and save so even more
    of a discount as well but for the same count (120
    diapers) I am paying .15 cents per diaper (amazon brand) as opposed to .28 cents per diaper (pampers). Plus monthly deliveries so not needing to think about it lol 

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020

• Is anyone else taking advantage of Amazon’s 20% off diapers for the first year of baby’s life via the registry? I’m excited about that!
  • @literatureandink I plan to try to use the 20% off as well! 
  • @literatureandink definitely planning on using it!
    BabyFruit Ticker