September 2020 Moms

The Great Question Thread

Re: The Great Question Thread

• Based on my LMP I am 8 weeks today. Went in for my first ultrasound (vaginal). The tech showed us the sac and she saw a flicker, but said I was much earlier than 8 weeks. She didnt give exact age, but I'm assuming closer to 6 weeks. They scheduled me for another ultrasound in a week and rescheduled my appt with my OB until after the next ultrasound. Does that sound normal, or is there anything I should be concerned about? I have been so anxious about this pregnancy, so this ultrasound freaked me out. Seems crazy that there could possibly be a 1.5 week difference in gestational age. 
    First of all I’m sorry you’ve been so anxious, I would’ve been thrown off by the ultrasound too. This happens sometimes from what I’ve seen on TB. It’s entirely possible you ovulated/implanted later than the average which is why your dates are off. Do you have regular cycles? How long are they usually? Were you tracking ovulation? Good thing is you saw a heartbeat! Fx everything progresses nicely and your next scan is good.
    Also don’t forgot to intro if you haven’t and change your username so we can get to know you and recognize you better :) 
  • Thanks! I actually stopped breastfeeding my daughter about 4 months before we conceived. While I was breastfeeding my periods were about 35 days apart. As soon as I stopped they got closer to 28 days, then the two months prior to conceiving they were 28 days apart. Periods only lasted 3 to 4 days. My daughter was conceived about 6 days after we initially thought, so I guess that's possible. Everything about my ultrasound was just really odd today and different then how they were with my other two children. The tech left after our ultrasound to go talk with a doctor to see if someone wanted to see me right then, or wait and do another ultrasound in a week. Maybe I'm just being paranoid :( just hoping others have had similar experiences and everything turned out okay. My friend that was a week ahead of me just miscarried and kind of had a similar situation, so I'm kind of anxious about it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @mrspeaches28 I wouldn't be too worried. If you were able to see a heartbeat that is a good sign. I had to have another dating US after my initial appointment because I was a week behind from what my LMP was dating. LMP is not a great tool for dating because the calculator assumes that every women has a 28-32 day cycle and ovulated on day 14. I don't ovulate until around day 18-21. So when I went in for my appointment, I made sure to let my OB know this (this is one of the positives of BBT and tracking your cycle).
    They also do official dating US to make sure that they update your info correctly. If they kept it at what your LMP is dating, it would continually make your testing throughout your pregnancy be off, issues with insurance coverage for tests, and potentially flag you for at risk pregnancy when it's not. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Man, reading about paying for pregnancy makes me glad I live in Oklahoma, we have a thing called soonercare so if I qualify (which I'm positive I will), all of my medical bills will be covered and I shouldn't have to pay a thing past maybe one or two appointments until my coverage is accepted or begins.
  • tuesdayw1992tuesdayw1992 member
    edited February 2020
    Soo eight weeks pregnant and constantly nauseous. Starting to feel depressed, I just feel so ill. There is no excitement anymore, we wanted this so bad but I'm having a really hard time. Ant advice? First baby xo
  • @tuesdayw1992 well, you're in the middle of some of the worst weeks when it comes to pregnancy. Normally around week 9-10 you'll start feeling better.
    Just try to eat what you can when you can, and drink as much as you can (if you can't stomach water I highly suggest lemonade. It's not quite as good for you as water but it helps). You can also ask your doctor for a prescription to help with the nausea.
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • @tuesdayw1992 I’m sorry. My first pregnancy was a breeze. This time around I’m 6+5 and I have all day nausea. I keep telling myself it won’t last forever. I’ve been drinking a lot of water and some ginger ale and also bought some prego pop candies off amazon that help with the nausea. I’ve found eating carbs stuff helps- like granola bars, bel vita cookies, pancakes, pasta. 
  • FTM- do cravings last the entire pregnancy?  Or just the beginning?  Not sure how I'm going to avoid gaining tons of weight if it lasts the whole time! 
  • @readytobemama they last the whole time but do tend to calm down after first tri a bit. I just craved potatoes my entire pregnancy so I got pretty lucky lol. My best friend craved McDonald's for a week straight 😂
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • @readytobemama They last pretty much the whole time, but evolve over time. What you craved for weeks will end and then you'll want something new. For me, it was more I would see a commercial or someone would talk about a certain food, and then I had to have it. Also you will find that they become very specific- i.e a certain brand or restaurant only- and nothing else will do. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mrspeaches28 That actually sounds similar to my situation. I was 8 weeks based on my LMP before my first ultrasound. However, the ultrasound dated me at 6 weeks. My doctor said my ovulation probably occured much later due to recently ending my birth control pill. My due date went from September 7 to September 24.
  • Anyone taking anything for constipation? How long do you wait between BMs to take something or do you take it everyday? 
  • @greyl I had a really rough bout a few weeks ago and took senokot and used glycerin suppositories.I have take senokot a couple of other times since when things seemed to start going off the rails again. I try not to go more than 3 days.
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @greyl Mine BMs have slowed down. I went from everyday to every other day. Last pregnancy, the constipation got really bad during my 2nd trimester. I took colace, drank water, and green veggies. it cleared up after that.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @papayapua thanks for the reply! That's encouraging to know it's possible and not necessarily a bad sign
  • I’m on a week and a half of not going.  :(
  • Used to go every day, now every 2-3 days.
  • For constipation, magnesium oxide at night works well with colace as needed. But make sure you guys are drinking plenty of water and fiber. Also, if you are taking zofran, that causes constipation...so take it sparingly (I only use it if I'm actively vomiting, not just nauseated, because the constipation is uncomfortable).

Two Furbabies: Mika (american eskimo) and Gypsy (wire-haired terrier, dachshund mix)

Twins: Kaiden and Zara born 10/2018 conceived after 6 years of infertility via a medicated IUI

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker
  • @linz36 that’s why I stopped the zofran. 
  • @greyl also, some prenatal vitamins can cause constipation from the iron.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks ladies for the advice!! I used to be every day or sometimes multiple times a day and now it’s definitely taking a while for things to move. And when I do go it’s not normal. Ugh I’ll see. I haven’t had to take anything since I’ve been a kid so I’m scared because I remember stuff like senokot would really make me go!! Lol I’ll need to wait for a day off to test it. 
  • I am so sorry @chasingroygbiv! I hope you get relief soon. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • I don’t even know where to put this. But my test results from my blood draw keep slowly rolling in. They tested me for cystic fibrosis mutations and it looks like I’m heterozygous for deltaf508 which is the most common mutation. So now I guess my H has to get tested? Anyone go through anything similar to this before? Of course now my mind is going nuts. Kind of wish I didn’t just see it in my portal without any follow up yet!! Trying not to worry that he’s also a carrier. 
  • I'm an American living outside the US. Where I live, doctors make it seem like it is NOT an option to forgo NIPT and amniocentesis. You MUST do one, they say, or you're basically a psychopath.

Ladies, what are your American docs telling you about these tests? Who is doing which tests? For reference, this is my first pregnancy and I'm 31 (will be 32 when I give birth).
  • I'm an American living outside the US. Where I live, doctors make it seem like it is NOT an option to forgo NIPT and amniocentesis. You MUST do one, they say, or you're basically a psychopath.

Ladies, what are your American docs telling you about these tests? Who is doing which tests? For reference, this is my first pregnancy and I'm 31 (will be 32 when I give birth).
    For the love of God get NIPT and not an amnio. NIPT is a simple blood test. An amnio is a giant needle through your abdomen. It gives a lot more information and definitive results where NIPT just gives ranges, but if they say you have to pick one, get the NIPT. I don't know anyone who would willingly opt for an amnio. Hard pass if I'm not told it's absolutely required. 
  • @greyl Me! Pretty sure the exact mutation as well. Our genetics doctor says because my husband is not a carrier that are chances are low, but not 0. It’s beneficial to know, especially to have your baby checked so that they know when they decide to have a family!  <3 1 of 3 of ours is also a carrier. We did the sweat test as recommended on her and it was negative, thankfully. Hang in there, I know waiting for more info and wondering is very intimidating. 
  • @chasingroygbiv Thank you for sharing❤️! Apparently it’s super common to be a carrier? I had no clue! That’s a good idea to get them checked anyway just so they know if they’re a carrier, thanks! I read that having one copy of the mutation can have small side effects and it actually makes a ton of sense looking back at my life. I just wish I knew sooner! I never thought to get checked because I didn’t think it was in my family at all but it must be on my dads side (I don’t talk to them anymore). I’m glad that your H wasn’t a carrier and that your babies don’t have CF!! Either way we will get through whatever happens. Do you know if NIPT tests for CF or would I have to get a CVS? Do you recommend my H getting tested first or just testing the baby? I’m worried about OOP costs right now but I want to be well prepared. 
  • @greyl you'll probably want to confirm with the doctor, but from my quick google it looks like you'd need a CVS or amnio. I believe NIPT mostly checks for trisomy's
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • @mflowers929 ah yeah that’s what I was thinking unfortunately. Suppose we will just test H and go from there then! 
  • @greyl Unfortunately NIPT doesn’t check for CF. Have your husband tested to put you at ease during your pregnancy. Results took a few weeks to come back for us. Not sure if all states/locations are the same, but our newborn screening at birth does test for CF and that’s how we found out DD was likely a carrier. Of course, if it comes back flagged at all, they’ll likely recommend you do the sweat test on baby just to be sure. Sweat test doesn’t hurt or anything either so as scary as the idea of it is, it doesn’t hurt baby. Let me know if you have more questions! 
  • @chasingroygbiv thank you so much for the info!! Did you have your husband checked through your practice or did he have to go on his own? I messaged my midwife but she hasn’t replied yet. I’ll probably do the newborn screening unless he comes back as a carrier then we might do more testing. Not sure how important it is to know ahead of time if baby has CF. 
  • @greyl he was able to have the labs done through my practice/clinic (Genetics ordered it). 
  • @chasingroygbiv okay good to know!! Hopefully they get back to me on Monday! Thank you! 
  • @emohay1988 I’m in Florida, this is my 3rd child and I’ve always been AMA for all my pregnancies (had my first when I was 35). I have never done any of the testing, blood or otherwise (personal choice) but I’ve also never have been pressured to do them. Anytime I bring up my age and call myself “old” to my OB she says I’m fine and healthy. Only thing different I have had is the earlier glucose testing in addition to the one later on, but always passed them.
  • How do I change my Bump profile photo. I cannot for the life of me figure it out. 
  • @robinj716 If you're on the main page of the app, click on the icon in the corner of your current photo to access your profile. Then click on the photo and it should ask you for access to your photos.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Our board is so sleepy.  :(
  • @chasingroygbiv I agree!! Where is all the chit chat?!
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Anyone else find that you get annoyed super easy right now? XD
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022