September 2020 Moms

The Name Thread

It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility

Re: The Name Thread

• Looking forward to some boy name ideas!
    DS1 2009
    DS2 2010
    DS3 2014
    DD born 8/24/2020!
  • If we have another boy, it's going to be Glenn Romeo. If it's a girl, it'll be Mia Emilia 😁
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • Loading the player...
  • So I pitched my current girl name I'm interested in to H and he is proving to me that this is going to be harder than I thought. He wants a name that makes sense. Which means the meaning and origin can’t be totally random for us to use. For example, the name I said to him was Ramona. He thinks it would be weird for us to use because of the meaning and that it’s origin is from a culture that we are not a part of. I get it but I think he may also be overthinking this? I dunno. 
    My favorite boy name is Noah. Always has been. It got super popular but I think it’s falling down now? Regardless, if H likes it I might just go with it anyway. 
    I have a list of 100+ names that I’ve had for years so hopefully we will agree on something. I told him he needs to bring some ideas to the table. 
  • @greyl Ramona is such a great name! 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @louise_belcher right?!?! I really like it a lot. Oh well, maybe it will grow on him or maybe we will find something else! I wanted to pair it with middle name Lorraine. I really didn’t think he would veto it! 
  • Our only naming convention is "simple". We don't want our kids to have names that they struggle learning to spell, and also simple anglified names work better for my French in laws. DS, for example, is Finn. So for a boy we definitely wanted another single syllable name. Mia was non negotiable since I didn't think of it so much as was given it by the girl who visited me in my dreams.
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • I just downloaded "Kinder" (like Tinder but for baby names). Hopefully we do better than last time, we were debating names while I was in labor.... 😬 
  • I need uncommon 2 syllable names. We like names that are spelled as they’re said/sound, but we prefer names that you don’t hear often. Basically if we know of someone with it— even if we don’t know them well, we won’t use it. 
  • I love Ramona! It makes me think of the Beverly Cleary books. My DH vetoed that one too.
    I love all names so I have a list a mile long and DH is pretty quick to veto them all. I don't even know where to start this time. Our only set in stone pick is Janet (my late mother's name) as a middle name if we have a girl. 
  • @beaandthebabes same!! I was surprised and bummed when he said no. But at least he gave me a reason instead of just saying he didn’t like it? However it definitely complicates things. I’ve never really cared about meanings or origins of names but it’s important to him I suppose! 

How do you guys feel about fictional names? From books/shows/movies/video games? Something that isn’t really a typical name. So if your kid or someone else googles it they’ll definitely know where it came from. Is that weird? 
  • machenomacheno member
    edited February 2020
    @jennifer_louise we used a similar app called Babyname. You can link it with your partner. As you swipe through names, it keeps a list of the the ones you like, your partner likes, and the ones you both like. We didn't end up picking a name from it, but it did help us to narrow down our lists.

@greyl I don't think it's weird to pick a fictional character's name so long as it has some sort of meaning/significance to the parents.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @greyl I'm interested to hear other's opinion on that as well.  There's a character named Kaladin from a fantasy series that I love, but I would spell it Caledon (like the bad guy from Titanic lol) because that spelling has Scottish roots. If it were just me in the world and it's a boy that would be his name but I'm not sure how well it would be accepted by others or his peers.

Truth or truth, I also love Thorin but I dont think I could do that to him Haha. I have a friend who named her daughter Eowyn 🤷‍♀️
  • @greyl Ramona is such a great name! 
    I pitched Romona to my H and he was not on board.such a bummer.
  • @chasingroygbiv exact same as us!  Have a lot of girl names I love and H is ok with them but he has to get used to them before he okays them lol.  But can't find any boy names we like, we don't care about meaning and don't want to use any family names, and not a name that will need a nn- short and spelled as they're pronounced like you said. Have gone thru so many lists and just can't find any that get me remotely excited. 
  • We will be screwed if this is a boy. After 2 boys I do not think there is another boy name I love. H is stuck on Otto, but I want the middle name to be Leo so that doesn’t flow. For a girl, middle name will be Jules. First name we are stuck.
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @readytobemama look at single syllable names
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • Anyone talk about baby names before you were pregnant? Lol. I kept pitching names at H for like 6 months.
    I'm still partial to Jude, but H vetoed it. Maybe if we have 3 boys I'll get it 😆
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • @Louise_Belcher my 3year old is Otto! It took awhile for it to grow on me but I love it now.
  • @rocketmom88 I think Caledon is a cool name!! And has a really nice nickname. I love Thorin as well but I think that one is a little too well known haha! Eowyn and Arwen are on my list but idk if I would actually use them. I just enjoy how they sound and look! H pitched Leliana to me a couple years ago, it’s from a game he was really into at the time. I think it’s pretty but if you google it all you get is game references. I also like the name Konan for a girl, from a really popular anime so I worry about that one for a bunch of reasons. I just became obsessed with it awhile ago but I haven’t asked H about it yet. Also love the name Ilya/Ilia. 

@mflowers929 oh for sure!! H knows I’ve always been really into names so I haven’t talked about it a lot but it would get brought up occasionally. No serious talks before this baby though, 
  • @rocketmom88 I love those books!
    DS1 2009
    DS2 2010
    DS3 2014
    DD born 8/24/2020!
  • Oh boy names. Well DH and I have very different styles when it comes to boy names. Girl names we are on the same page and generally like old fashioned ones. If this baby is a girl most likely she will be Fiona Grace. If it’s a boy though we will be in trouble. I dislike almost all boy names. We had a heck of time deciding on DS’s name and basically I just gave in and let DH name in. I still don’t love his name but I guess it suits him. 
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• We have casually started talking about names. I'm hoping it doesn't take as long as it did last time. I think for us we probably won't start a real list until we know the sex of the baby. We've really only discussed using a name from DH family for the middle name. DS has my grandfather's first name as his middle name. So we thought it was fair to trade off. The only other criteria I really have is that I want a more classic/vintage name. DS name is an older name and I want to make sure that this baby's name makes sense with it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm rethinking my girl name lol. I said to H that if we wanted to stay with the single syllable ending in nn, we could always name a girl Wrenn
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • I have so many name ideas! I have a lot of Russian, Irish, and Italian roots so I'm mostly pulling from those but BD is significantly native so also trying to factor that in. So far: Sonya, Lucca, Anastasia, Cirice, Auden, Amelia, Cillian, Ronan, Aisling, Eamon, Zephyr, Esmeralda, Mariposa, Estrella, Wolf, Fox, Alice, Genesis, Alisande, Matteo, Wendy, Pietro, Raven, Indigo, Fawn, Gwendolyn...basically let's hope at least one of the mini dudes is a girl 😅
  • I have a friend with a Kaladin. He goes by Kal. It’s super cute and I don’t think anyone thought it was weird. :) 
  • @greyl our DS is Noah and we love his name (obviously since we picked it lol) DH and I had agreed on that name 100 percent for our first son. I used to teach so I’ve known a couple Noah’s but honestly not a ton, I don’t any friends with Noah’s currently. 

Now coming up with another boy name isn’t as easy. We have two girl names we really like for how they sound and the meaning Evelyn (wished for child) or Eliana (God has answered) as they would be very significant meanings after our long journey to a successful pregnancy 
  • I really like the name Kaladin!  Never heard it before.

we just found out we’re having a girl!  The only names I like at the moment are Arya and Daisia.  I already know someone with an Aria, so I’ve scratched Arya  off the list.  

Isabelle was always what I planned for a girl since I was young- but I have a best friend who used Bella, and another that used Isabella for a middle name, so feel like it’s a no go. 

Hoping to to have a few more options, now that we know I can really start getting busy! 

Middle name will be Noble, which is my middle name and my great Grammas maiden name. I was toying with Noble as a first name if it were to be a boy, but hubby said no way. 

We we have a son named Ryker Charles. 

@shredgnarr Zephyr was on my list before, I like that name too! 
  • @momofmiracles31889 awesome!! Glad to hear it’s not terribly popular. I haven’t really talked to H a lot about it but I’ll probably bring up names again soon.
    @annieco13 I love the name aria/arya! Ariana was one of my favorite names before Ariana grande became super famous now I could never use it. I still love aria/Arya tho but it got pretty popular with GOT. I feel like you could still use Isabelle if you really loved it! Since it is slightly different than your friends Baby names. 

AFM, I’ve always thought the name Lars was really cool. I would probably use it as a nickname and maybe a middle name. But I can’t shake it. I was thinking Lars could be a nn for Clark? Since Lar is in the middle of it? Or is that too weird: I dunno. I’m going to ask H about it and see what he says. I just can’t picture Lars on a diploma or resume unless we had some long Scandinavian last name Or something :D
  • @greyl what about Larsden, Larson or Lawrence to use Lars as a nn?  One of my friend's has a Lars (that's his full name) I love it. 
  • Hey ladies, this is a link from the Social Security website that show baby name popularity in recent years for the US by state, decade, and territories. It's really helpful if you're wanting to make sure you don't pick a name that's too popular. Also, helpful to find older names from other years. 

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I like Lars!  I know a Lars and it’s definitely a unique name. 
  • @Louise_Belcher Otto is such a cool name!! So many cool scientists have been named Otto, and like your classic car fuel exhaust cycle is called the heckin "Otto Cycle"! Maybe look at Germanic middle names that would flow? Keyser is pretty cool like Keyser Söse haha ;)
  • @readytobemama good suggestions!!! Thanks! 
  • balletnerdballetnerd member
    edited February 2020
    We haven’t started thinking about this at all. But with DD we had it kinda narrowed down to 2 or 3 names and decided on which fit her best when she was born. I’m glad we agreed. Her name is Korianna Mae. 

I think boy names are way harder than girls so that will be a challenge if we end up with a boy this time.