High-Risk Pregnancy

Mom's with Epilepsy

2»

Re: Mom's with Epilepsy

• I only had one seizure 5 years ago (grand mal in my sleep). I'm on lamotrigine, and my neurologist upped my dose (200mg/day) during pregnancy just in case. The risk of having a seizure during pregnancy outweighed the risk of the meds. 
  • ep85ep85 member
    So happy to find this post.

I have Epilepsy. My regular dosage prior to preg was low - Lamictal, about 150mg 1x/day. I had a grand mal at 26w. They’re currently upping my dosage, and next week, I’ll finally land at 300mg/day.

My job is so extremely stressful. I work remotely for a fast-moving Silicon Valley tech company. Average age of employees is mid-20s. I used to stick out as being married - now pregnant, ha. 

My meds make me so sleepy. The headaches. My dosage still isn’t right, so I’m not driving. Can I qualify for bed rest? Or at least the note my doctor can write, that my conpany’s HR must acknowledge? 

I’m sinking and am breaking into two as a preg 7mo woman with this kind of job. My boss is 25yo and my HR rep is 27. I’m constantly feeling like I’m on the verge of a seizure, several times a day. 

What specifically can I say to my neurologist to get a note like this? Have any of you done this? Any advice would be so helpful. TIA! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Hello all! 
    I too was glad to find this specific board!! I would really appreciate any and all ideas, thoughts guidance or opinions about this...

I have an undiagnosed type of epilepsy and it is easy over medicated but my neurologist has tried several times to remove some medications which only led to more issues, so in the end they only got replaced with less dangerous medications for both me and a pregnancy. Though my husband and I never really expected the miracle of this to happen, we're thrilled. 

Here is my current issue and question...I have been doing pretty well on my seizures being controlled, unless I go with very,very little sleep for several days. However, lately I feel as though I have really 'caught up' on my sleep and been sleeping great! Problem being I have had more seizures, not severe but existant ... plus with the amount of meds I already take I prefer not to risk upping them any more, as the baby is doing very well at 26 weeks. 

My biggest question is would there be a big change in my idk, equilibrium at this point? I feel like I can sleep all day and be up all night, which is a big change for me, plus I have been hearing a pounding in my ear which is odd...

Any thoughts?
  • I take 2500 mg of Keppra XR daily. I have JME - juvenile myoclonic epilepsy, I've been seizure free for 7 years. I used to have long grand mal seizures with myoclonic jerks before. 

I've stayed on my meds with my neurologists approval. I also joined a research program (North American AED Pregnancy Registry). I used it as a resource before deciding to try to get pregnant. It's a great tool for women with epilepsy looking to get pregnant. It tracks development and birth defects in women taking anti epileptic meds during pregnancy and after birth during the first 6 months of the babies life. I highly recommend it, the program is ran by Massachusetts general hospital and Harvard.
  • @brittanybrennan I'm on 3500mg of Keppra daily, its exciting for me to see that someone else out there is also on a crazy high dosage. 

Is this your first pregnancy? Im only about 10 weeks along at the moment, but know I'm basically going to have Keppra levels drawn monthly and titrate accordingly, but I'm mostly nervous about the newborn period and the associated sleep deprivation as it is a seizure trigger for me. Was just curious if you've been through this period before and if so, had any words of wisdom? I have a husband around who I know will step up, but I could foresee this being a situation where a night nurse might be necessary to my physical AND mental health to allow for appropriate sleep hygiene.
  • Hey y’all. I’m on 500 mg of lamictal, 1000 mg of zarontin, and 300 mg of topomax. I’m only 5 weeks along and am just worried about the birth defects and what happens if and when I go off meds. I see a new neurologist on the 28th. What have been some of your experiences, have you guys had all healthy pregnancies or have you guys had some defects?
  • Did your old Neuro ever try you out on Keppra? Maybe your new one will recommend trialing a switch over ? Besides being on it myself I'm also in the medical field and the great thing about Keppra is its safe in pregnancy and seems to really be a "catch all" for sooo many types of seizures.

I hope they get something figured out for you! I cant imagine the anxiety of having to choose to go off part or all of my medication regimen or risk birth defects. Fingers crossed for a good neuro appt!!